Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Yudkowsky's concern over Intellectual Power Levels looks kind of odd to me, especially for someone who professes to believe that "being just another stepping stone for mankind is the best that could be said of anyone". There's always going to be someone even better than you. If you start worrying about that kind of stuff there's no end to it. It's best to just shut up, do your research, make your contribution and not worry about it too much, unless your inability to go SSJ3 Rationalist is starting to be detrimental to your career.

Yudkowsky appears to be in a position where no matter what he does or does not discover, no matter what he does or does not publish, the results will have zero implications for his prestige. Why does he even bother? Why isn't he just super happy about this opportunity and taking full advantage of it to research whatever the hell he feels like without measuring himself up against Conway or whatever :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Triple Elation posted:

There's always going to be someone even better than you.

Not if you're the smartest man in the world: Eliezer Yudkowski.

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW
You think because our parents are out of town, you're in charge? Little did you know I slipped something in your drink earlier, and in no time you've younger than me! Look how big those pants are, they're falling off and revealing your little boner. I thought I was your annoying little stepsister, but who's got the hots for me now? I give you some jerk off instruction and let you visually enjoy my sexy body. Wow, this stuff was strong, you're getting younger and younger! Pretty soon you're a cute little baby, grabbing at my tits trying to breastfeed. Wanna suckle little step brother? I bet our neighbor could babysit you... she's always had a crush on you but now she's gonna change your diaper and see your little pee pee. Wait, you're getting even younger - you're inside of my womb! You're not even born yet and my belly is swollen, about to deliver this bun in my oven. Oh its happening again, you're not even conceived yet... wait, I think you've regressed all the way back to being a sperm inside of my boyfriend's balls. Should I invite him over tonight? Let him cum deep inside my pussy so you can be born through your stepsister's womb?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Steampunk iPhone posted:

You think because our parents are out of town, you're in charge? Little did you know I slipped something in your drink earlier, and in no time you've younger than me! Look how big those pants are, they're falling off and revealing your little boner. I thought I was your annoying little stepsister, but who's got the hots for me now? I give you some jerk off instruction and let you visually enjoy my sexy body. Wow, this stuff was strong, you're getting younger and younger! Pretty soon you're a cute little baby, grabbing at my tits trying to breastfeed. Wanna suckle little step brother? I bet our neighbor could babysit you... she's always had a crush on you but now she's gonna change your diaper and see your little pee pee. Wait, you're getting even younger - you're inside of my womb! You're not even born yet and my belly is swollen, about to deliver this bun in my oven. Oh its happening again, you're not even conceived yet... wait, I think you've regressed all the way back to being a sperm inside of my boyfriend's balls. Should I invite him over tonight? Let him cum deep inside my pussy so you can be born through your stepsister's womb?

:psypop:

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
That's just one of the many, many mindfuck simulation gambits the AI in the box will subject you to until you inevitably break.

Respect the unknown unknowns

edit: crap we're back in gbs

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Triple Elation posted:

That's just one of the many, many mindfuck simulation gambits the AI in the box will subject you to until you inevitably break.

Respect the unknown unknowns

edit: crap we're back in gbs

you've never been out of it, previously you were in a simulation of pyf while still actually being inside gbs but it was a totally accurate simulation so it was functionally the same and you never noticed

If you had donated to my institute for nebulous unreleased research on subforums this would not have happened

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Steampunk iPhone posted:

Don't stop now.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Steampunk iPhone posted:

didnt know you had an account here eliezer

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
a dyson sphere around the sun, all the monstrous power of a star, collected and directed into the most powerful computational device ever known, all to create the most high-fidelity unbirthing fantasy scenario possible.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Why does Lowtax forsake us so?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Steampunk iPhone posted:

Are you up for a fun game? Today we’re going to use my metronome to engage in a rousing game where you must jack off to the beat as it increases in tempo. You’re allowed to jerk off to my dirty, sexy rear end as I show off my stinky butt hole. But, wait. There is a price to pay for cumming too soon: you’ll have to taste the farts I’ve been saving for you if you cannot follow the game rules and last to the end. Can you handle my rear end in your face as you stroke faster and faster? Don’t cum yet, or you’ll be tasting my blasts right on your tongue as you kiss my rear end hole with your entire tongue. You may have to practice masturbating if you don’t want to suck farts out of my rear end hole next time!

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

this is basically the tvtropes thread right, it looks like the tvtropes thread

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Are you up for a fun game? Today we’re going to use my metronome to engage in a rousing game where you must jack off to the beat as it increases in tempo. You’re allowed to jerk off to my dirty, sexy rear end as I show off my stinky butt hole. But, wait. There is a price to pay for cumming too soon: you’ll have to taste the farts I’ve been saving for you if you cannot follow the game rules and last to the end. Can you handle my rear end in your face as you stroke faster and faster? Don’t cum yet, or you’ll be tasting my blasts right on your tongue as you kiss my rear end hole with your entire tongue. You may have to practice masturbating if you don’t want to suck farts out of my rear end hole next time!
nora_barnacle.txt

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

smorky_and_lowtax.txt

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

su3su2u1 posted:

Someone told Yud "you are bright and you ought to go to college," and Yud's response was basically "you are too stupid to perceive that I've mastered college despite never having gone."

But Yud, if you are listening, you are bright guy, you ought to go to college.

Absolutely this.

Because for all the legitimate criticisms once can make about college, about the modern educational system, about lovely professors who aren't interested in doing to following, about xyz, there are some things that simply cannot be learned by yourself. Humility is one of these things. Actually being in the room with a person who is much smarter than you are, and who can easily shut down whatever argument you can come up with, but it doing so in order that you become better at arguing and better at understanding the topic you have chosen to defend; to learn that there are certain irreconcilable differences in opinion that actually don't matter at all except in the minds of those having the discussion; that no matter what your chosen specialty is, there will always be a coterie of folks who are around your level and it will be impossible to determine which of you is "smartest", and also that because we do not have enough time to focus our attention on everything (even though folks like Isaac Asimov tried) there will always be people who know more about subjects you haven't studied, and will always have a head start because of this.

I understand it all too well. My ornithology professor will always be better at birds than I will, because I was an interested dilettante and she is a professional with a doctorate who publishes papers, attends multiple conferences, and does fieldwork in addition to her class teaching. I probably know more about the philosophy of David Hume that she does (I haven't asked, but she never mentioned an interest in philosophy), but I know a lot less about Hume than Norman Kemp Smith, FRSE and author of a books about Hume, Kant, and others, did. And while, merely by virtue of having read almost all of Hume's books and numerous commentaries on him, I might be in the top 1000 or so people on the planet currently alive who know things about him, as I don't hold a doctorate or publish papers, it'd be difficult for me to be taken seriously in academia. Is this fair? It doesn't matter, because I don't write papers and try to get them published, nor do I talk about all the papers I'm going to publish some day. But, had my philosophy professors not been of the quality that they were, I doubt I've of had the discipline to read that much, and understand what it would take if I wanted to go down that route. And even if I did, I'd have Stephen Copley and Andrew Edgar and J. C. A. Gaskin's shadows (among others) to stand in, as far as Hume is concerned. Or, more properly, alongside, because academia isn't a contest.

But then again, browsing for a bit on Wikipedia or maybe skimming an Introducing... book is good too. That's basically all college is, right?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Why did you think anyone would want to read all that

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Why did you think anyone would want to read all that

Roko's Basilisk shaves 1 year off your eternal torment for every word you write.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

When it is asked, What is the nature of all our reasonings concerning matter of fact? the proper answer seems to be, that they are founded on the relation of cause and effect. When again it is asked, What is the foundation of all our reasonings and conclusions concerning that relation? it may be replied in one word, experience. But if we still carry on our sifting humor, and ask, What is the foundation of all conclusions from experience? this implies a new question, which may be of more difficult solution and explication.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
Yeah, Yudkowsky seems to lack a lot of the perspective one gets from actually being around a lot of people doing different smart things. He's only seen himself learn, and he's only learned what he wanted to learn, so he assumes he's been on the One True Path and that The World Must Be Insane because obviously they didn't focus their lives on pursuing the most important thing of all and coming to the only logical conclusions about that thing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Doctor Soup posted:

Yeah, Yudkowsky seems to lack a lot of the perspective one gets from actually being around a lot of people doing different smart things. He's only seen himself learn, and he's only learned what he wanted to learn, so he assumes he's been on the One True Path and that The World Must Be Insane because obviously they didn't focus their lives on pursuing the most important thing of all and coming to the only logical conclusions about that thing.

Mostly Yudkowsky seems like every freshman Comp Sci major I've ever seen.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

Mostly Yudkowsky seems like every freshman Comp Sci major I've ever seen.

p much, except most of the compsci majors grow up eventually

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

p much, except most of the compsci majors grow up eventually

Except for the ones who become libertarians.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Steampunk iPhone posted:

ctrl+c,, save file

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Ah, finally got through this thread.

So, we know that lud is afraid of work, because of that One Time he exerted himself it was Disastrous. He seems to talk as if we should be familiar with this Event. I'm not gonna touch his site with a 3^^^3 foot pole, but is there anyone more familiar with yud know what it was he was trying to do or how it impacted him? I'm guessing it's pretty lol

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Slightly Absurd posted:

Ah, finally got through this thread.

So, we know that lud is afraid of work, because of that One Time he exerted himself it was Disastrous. He seems to talk as if we should be familiar with this Event. I'm not gonna touch his site with a 3^^^3 foot pole, but is there anyone more familiar with yud know what it was he was trying to do or how it impacted him? I'm guessing it's pretty lol

It is kinda funny: it never loving happened. He's just speculating on what his abilities are, anime-style. He's never actually used this magic brain-altering power of his.

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

Sounds to me like all you guys are studying a Yudkowsky-level intellect

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

SolTerrasa posted:

It is kinda funny: it never loving happened. He's just speculating on what his abilities are, anime-style. He's never actually used this magic brain-altering power of his.

What a shock.

edit: as an aside, I loved all your effort posts in this thread. If I thought better of Yudkowsky, I'd almost think Less Wrong were some sort of mass Cunningham's Law experiment.

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 3, 2015

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

su3su2u1 posted:

You didn't see that Less Wrong post? It's one of the most Yudiest:

http://lesswrong.com/lw/ua/the_level_above_mine/
Christ, that URL alone says everything. :allears:

quote:

When Marcello Herreshoff had known me for long enough, I asked him if he knew of anyone who struck him as substantially more natively intelligent than myself. Marcello thought for a moment and said "John Conway—I met him at a summer math camp." Darn, I thought, he thought of someone, and worse, it's some ultra-famous old guy I can't grab. I inquired how Marcello had arrived at the judgment. Marcello said, "He just struck me as having a tremendous amount of mental horsepower," and started to explain a math problem he'd had a chance to work on with Conway.

Not what I wanted to hear.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Seriously, what a ridiculous concern to have. If there's anything my limited experience in research has taught me is that there's enough loving problems for everyone.

Pushing the boundaries of human knowledge is a team effort. Generally speaking you should be glad that there are people more awesome than you on the team.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Yudkowsky has written rants about how Einstein was an idiot, and says he should have been able to figure out general relativity in a matter of months.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Yudkowsky has written rants about how Einstein was an idiot, and says he should have been able to figure out general relativity in a matter of months.

If he'd been around in those days he'd take one look at the Michelson-Morley experiment and dismiss the results on the basis that they didn't match his theory. He wrote an article on "defying the data" which laments that scientists aren't allowed to just stick their fingers in their ears and say "nuh uh!" when confronted with experimental results they don't agree with.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Don't just say something like that and not link it!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

If he'd been around in those days he'd take one look at the Michelson-Morley experiment and dismiss the results on the basis that they didn't match his theory. He wrote an article on "defying the data" which laments that scientists aren't allowed to just stick their fingers in their ears and say "nuh uh!" when confronted with experimental results they don't agree with.

This is incredible.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Don't just say something like that and not link it!

Here you go.

Yudkowsky posted:

"Do as well as Einstein?" Jeffreyssai said, incredulously. "Just as well as Einstein? Albert Einstein was a great scientist of his era, but that was his era, not this one! Einstein did not comprehend the Bayesian methods; he lived before the cognitive biases were discovered; he had no scientific grasp of his own thought processes. Einstein spoke nonsense of an impersonal God—which tells you how well he understood the rhythm of reason, to discard it outside his own field! He was too caught up in the drama of rejecting his era's quantum mechanics to actually fix it. And while I grant that Einstein reasoned cleanly in the matter of General Relativity—barring that matter of the cosmological constant—he took ten years to do it. Too slow!"

"Too slow?" repeated Taji incredulously.

"Too slow! If Einstein were in this classroom now, rather than Earth of the negative first century, I would rap his knuckles! You will not try to do as well as Einstein! You will aspire to do BETTER than Einstein or you may as well not bother!"

Anime posted:

Jeffreyssai took a moment to look over his increasingly disturbed students, "Here is your assignment. Of quantum mechanics, and General Relativity, you have been told. This is the limit of Eld science, and hence, the limit of public knowledge. The five of you, working on your own, are to produce the correct theory of quantum gravity. Your time limit is one month."

"What?" said Brennan, Taji, Styrlyn, and Yin. Hiriwa gave them a puzzled look.

"Should you succeed," Jeffreyssai continued, "you will be promoted to beisutsukai of the second dan and sixth level. We will see if you have learned speed. Your clock starts—now."

This is what Yudkowsky believes science looks like posted:

"We know from common sense," Yin said, "that if we stepped outside the universe, we would see time laid out all at once, reality like a crystal. But I once encountered a hint that physics is timeless in a deeper sense than that." Yin's eyes were distant, remembering. "Years ago, I found an abandoned city; it had been uninhabited for eras, I think. And behind a door whose locks were broken, carved into one wall: quote .ua sai .ei mi vimcu ty bu le mekso unquote."

Brennan translated: Eureka! Eliminate t from the equations. And written in Lojban, the sacred language of science, which meant the unknown writer had thought it to be true.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I would like to subject this person to physical violence.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

If Einstein were in this classroom now, rather than Earth of the negative first century, I would rap his knuckles!
How is this guy so consistently able to pack so much meaning into so few words?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Essentially, that is how science (education) works in comic books.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
How did you guys find this site? Do we have someone ~on the inside!?~

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
I dunno how much to condemn Yud over this. Yes, it's clearly a power fantasy, a feverish pipe dream, but then again, so is most of speculative fiction (the comparison to anime is especially apt). It's one thing to say "Einstein was a doofus for not figuring out the theory of relativity quickly enough - if the world was remade in my image we could do so much better"; it's another thing entirely to say "imagine if science made this huge leap forward and all the scientists were trained in elite science dojos and even Einstein would be weak in comparison to their level? We don't live in that world obviously but how cool would that be?"

It really all hinges on which of those two things Yud is saying. And I want to believe, I really honestly want to believe, it's the second one. Because otherwise what we have is a screed from the author of Flare and Methods of Rationality and the Solution-in-Progress to the Friendly AI Problem about how, if only he could reshape the world according to his vision, we would have a complete theory of quantum gravity in a month. And that can't possibly be what this is, right? It can't. I defy the data. God forbids it.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
Jeffreyssai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Doctor Soup posted:

Jeffreyssai.

I really hope that's just a normal stupid name and not a stupid weeaboo Japanese name.

• Locked thread