Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

1. I scanned through several pages of the thread, but couldn't find a recap of the Methods series that I think I saw on SA a few years ago (it actually went beyond the first dozen chapters and pointed out how wrong the actual science-y bits actually are). Help?

2. Am I misunderstanding something, or does the man actually think that IQ tests measure intelligence? In the year of our lord 2014?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Strategic Tea posted:

E: And come to think of it, that's probably why people like Yud so often turn to poo poo like utilitarianism.
Is that a problem now? Are we sliding into... eh, let's not name fallacies as to avoid the similarity of expression. Is everything "people like Yud" like now tainted by association?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

What are the problems with traditional utilitarianism, anyways? I thought anyone approaching a moral problem from the perspective of "what helps the most people" rather than "what someone in authority said we should do" is utilitarian.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

On the bottom line, most utilitarians are basically hedonists: the desired outcome is pleasure and wellbeing.
The issue with that definition is that in popular usage "hedonism" tends to imply an appetite for "sinful" and low pleasures, and concern primarily for ones own wellbeing.

As to the issue of flexibility - perhaps the same could be said of all religions all your philosophies. If you can twist Mill's highly concise and clear texts around to justify what you want, you can certainly do the same with something as sprawling and self-contradictory as religious texts or Marxist dogma.

(Then again, I have seen people claim that On Liberty justifies political censorship. Then again *again*, they were B.A students, so there's a fair chance they haven't actually read the text)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Frankly, I thought the constant anime references did a much better job of making future humanity look repulsive and horrible. Sexual consent is a matter of interpersonal boundaries, which vary between cultures as much as between individuals. I can conceive of a highly moral culture where forced sexual interaction is a more severe form of pushing someone down and tickling them silly.

Good taste, though? That's absolute.
What the poo poo.

Hobo By Design posted:

Utilitarianism absolutely does define utility!
Yes.

quote:

Pleasure, as an end, justifies itself. "Why do you want to enjoy yourself" is a nonsense question.
No. Because that's where you end up with HPMOR, where the sole moment of consideration the scientist wizard that's totally going to change the wizarding world gives to the plight of a slave race is literally "welp, I guess they take pleasure in servitude, so it's all good, no need to worry about non-white-people magic races now or ever".

Or, you know, whatever sort of hypothetical "enjoy slavery" example I could come up with without confessing to having read Methods of Rationality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

SubG posted:

This is almost always something that happens when a work of fiction is just a political or social thesis, and all the characters just sock puppets for the author. The sex scenes in Ayn Rand novels, for example, are just painful to read, even when they aren't rapey (which they frequently are; ultrarationalists seem to have a thing for rape for some goddamn reason) because it's always a couple of boring robots announcing to each other the value proposition each party is getting out of the transaction they're about to engage in. I've read sexier spreadsheets.
I'd actually find HPMOR far more interesting if I had some idea what Harry is trying to do. Discover the rules of magic through scientific experiments, gain immortality and rule the world in order to... what? What shape would that world take? The author seems to assume the answer is obvious enough that it's not worth getting into.

• Locked thread