Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
su3su2u1
Apr 23, 2014
Delusions of grandeur

http://hpmor.com/notes/119/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

su3su2u1
Apr 23, 2014

SolTerrasa posted:

Jesus, gently caress. I had this whole post written about how it was possible there was a decent 200k word piece of YA fiction hiding in that 650k behemoth, but it needed massive editing and etc etc etc. Then I actually READ those notes. That man is insufferable, he hasn't changed a bit since he was 20.

He is the rare person for whom being taken seriously by some group and (somehow) successfully founding a research institute were terrible for their development as a researcher.

su3su2u1
Apr 23, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The funny thing about this is from what I've seen, Su3su2u1 tries very hard to be fair to Yudkowsky and isn't dripping with hate or anything. But apparently any criticism is too much.

I mean, I used some vulgarity, but I tried to be fair and avoid cheap shots. Still been bombarded with tumblr asks for days now. It finally died off and then Yud started that thread today and my asks picked back up again, only now they all say I'm part of "sneer culture."

su3su2u1
Apr 23, 2014

SolTerrasa posted:

I just love that he says "if I was wrong, a scientist would have told me." And then when a scientist says he's wrong he doubts it because he figures he would have been told.

Also, someone sent me a link to a thread where a physicist complained about chapter 2 YEARS AGO. Bro, you were told.

http://www.reddit.com/r/HPMOR/comments/19z9sw/help_understanding_harrys_rant_in_ch2/

su3su2u1 fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 18, 2015

su3su2u1
Apr 23, 2014

Pavlov posted:

By the way su3su2su1 if you keep having problems with lessworngers just make it clear that you weren't really participating in sneer culture, you were just trying to minimize the hedons associated with bad science.

Done.

su3su2u1
Apr 23, 2014

bartlebyshop posted:

It's hilarious that LW claims to be about charity and civility so much let poke them in the right place and the horde of locusts arrives.

I'm sure they'd say that its the HPMOR/reddit crowd bombarding me and not the more refined LWians.

su3su2u1
Apr 23, 2014

Triple Elation posted:

OK though, seriously, regarding the accusations of "sneer culture", I admit that the atmosphere here kind of encourages dismissive snarking at the expense of constructive criticism. So here's my actual opinion about Less Wrong: I like the "art of rationality" aspect of it. I really do. I think it's great there's a website like that and that it's a 'thing'. I like the emphasis on seeking the truth, the cute neologisms, the techniques, the parables, the exposition of logical fallacies, flawed as they all may be at parts. Even the misadventures of Jeffereysai (even though he is called 'Jeffereysai', for Chirst's sake), for all their outrageous little details ('girlfriends', ha). It's clear that Yud really cares about pursuing the truth, and wants other people to be better at it. On that front, I truly believe he's doing the lord's work. Even if my eyes look at a sentence like "1 is not a probability" and I think back to the first lecture of probability 101 and become very confused. He might inspire the next rationalist-guru-wannabe that will do the same thing, only better.

Everything else, though. The Harry Potter fanfiction (why, Yud? Why? Of all forms to promote your dogma, this was your best idea of how to be taken seriously?). The disregard for the current and past institutions of science. The rush to apply The Principles of Rationality(tm) to real-world issues, come to conclusions about the "correct" interpretation of quantum mechanics or cryonics or the future of artificial intelligence or torture vs. dust specks, and then make those conclusions a part of The Faith(tm). The Hubris ("I acknowledge no equal, except Conway"). The blind obsession with utilitarianism, which actively rejects that deep Kantian instinct inherent in mankind's morality. The phyg of personality that anyone looking from the outside in can see very clearly. The fact that it represents an 'institute' that you can make donations to.

Sometimes I find myself wanting to link something from Less Wrong and I have second and third thoughts because anyone following the link might find out about the rest of Less Wrong :smith:

I don't think he does really care about truth, I think he cares about convincing people to donate to his AI "charity". The "art of rationality" thing can be found by reading Kahneman and the like, his goal was to "apply" a lot of pop-Bayesian/overcome-your-bias thinking to the idea of super AI in order to convince you to give money.

He wants to convince you he is smart, so you get the jargon construction, and turning short paragraphs from works like Kahneman and turning them into multi-page blog posts.

su3su2u1 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

su3su2u1
Apr 23, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Standardized test scores? College acceptance ratings? College GPAs and graduation rates?

There is no actual evidence any of that is true- the research on homeschoolers done by homeschooling organizations is self selected. So the very small percentage of homeschoolers who volunteer to take extra tests when an organization come around is like "SHOW YOU ARE BETTER THAN TRADITIONAL SCHOOLS, TAKE THESE EXTRA TESTS" are better than the average public school test taker.

• Locked thread