Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

The thing I found most annoying about Encanto is how they have a whole bit about how they don't actually need the magic and the entire plot was about how the various family members felt stifled by their powers. Then the end is everyone getting their powers back.

I thought the point wasn't that everyone felt stifled by their powers, but that the grandmother was destroying the family by being so overbearing and domineering? The flower girl seemed perfectly happy with her powers when she started making non-standard flowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Cowslips Warren posted:

Gold is loving heavy. I remember that poo poo from reading Encyclopedia Brown.

I saw a video, I wanna say for some reason it was the singer of the Barenaked Ladies touring a gold storage place, lord only knows if that part of the memory's accurate, and they had a regular sized gold bar sitting on a table and the guard's like "the deal is, if you can pick this up with one hand and get it out of here, you can take it with you" because nobody can do it.
fake edit: found it. Potato quality, and I dunno what the deal is with the channel hosting it, but here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfRCldI2S74

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

muscles like this! posted:

The thing I found most annoying about Encanto is how they have a whole bit about how they don't actually need the magic and the entire plot was about how the various family members felt stifled by their powers. Then the end is everyone getting their powers back.

The shapeshifting guy seemed pretty happy with his.

Diet Poison posted:

I saw a video, I wanna say for some reason it was the singer of the Barenaked Ladies touring a gold storage place, lord only knows if that part of the memory's accurate, and they had a regular sized gold bar sitting on a table and the guard's like "the deal is, if you can pick this up with one hand and get it out of here, you can take it with you" because nobody can do it.
fake edit: found it. Potato quality, and I dunno what the deal is with the channel hosting it, but here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfRCldI2S74

A rock climber would walk in there, grab that without even breaking stride, and walk right out

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Apr 16, 2024

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Cowslips Warren posted:

In disney's Encanto, why is it such a huge thing that this one family/dude is going to marry into the Madrigals, so they need to make sure the dinner is 100% loving perfect! What dude would not want to marry into this loving magic family! No one knows how the grandma rules with an iron fist, everyone in the town just sees the magic. There would be lines of people wanting to get in that poo poo.
I took this as him being the only age appropriate male left in the Encanto, therefore he was a prized commodity. They needed him to keep the family growing or they would have to wait for the next generation.

Randalor posted:

I thought the point wasn't that everyone felt stifled by their powers, but that the grandmother was destroying the family by being so overbearing and domineering? The flower girl seemed perfectly happy with her powers when she started making non-standard flowers.
That's my thoughts too. They lost their powers because she was stifling their needs to fulfill her own. They got them back when they learned the lesson, but now Maribel is the matriarch.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's very lucky that Mariano is apparently such an easy guy. It could easily have been that Dolores just wasn't his type, she got quite lucky that there were two people in the family he was crushing on.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

It's very lucky that Mariano is apparently such an easy guy. It could easily have been that Dolores just wasn't his type, she got quite lucky that there were two people in the family he was crushing on.

I swear that dude must have been high because pretty much every scene we saw him in, except for the one where he got his nose broken, he was just so chill and happy about everything. He was even nice to Mirabel, which pretty much puts him in the top of 1% of that village.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I swear that dude must have been high because pretty much every scene we saw him in, except for the one where he got his nose broken, he was just so chill and happy about everything. He was even nice to Mirabel, which pretty much puts him in the top of 1% of that village.

Everyone in that town is like that because they got a giant muscle mommy that takes care of all the actual work. Like even in the song explicitly for them to whine about their problems it's just like "oh no dead goldfish, I went bald, I'm chunky from not doing any work because all the actual work is done by one enormous woman" and so on. Even in the two scenes in which his nose gets bashed, he never rises to any emotional state beyond just confused.

I figured the problem wasn't that they needed to lock the wedding down, but rather just that the grandma had become so comfortable as essentially a dictator to the whole town that everyone was afraid of anything not going completely perfect in front of her. The marriage was gonna happen, gramma just likes the formalities.

theironjef has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Apr 17, 2024

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Speaking of Disney IIMM, Frozen's way of handling the parents' responsibilities really bothers me. They separate their daughters, lock one up to "protect her" and don't tell her sister anything or deal with her being essentially a single child all of a sudden. I kind of want to kick the poo poo out of the parents for being such neglectful assholes to both their children, running their fairy-tale kingdom couldn't have been THAT demanding.

Then in Frozen II we learn that at least the mother has a fairly good idea of what was going on with Elsa and it seems like she subjected both her daughters to 15 years of isolation and uncertainty for shits and giggles the greater good. Just a completely messed up relationship from top to bottom.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I just got through Blue Eye Samurai and it owns, but one I did have one IIMM: in the very first scene Mizu identifies the bad guy's pistol as being European manufactured and says it's too sophisticated to be a Japanese pistol, so it's established right off the bat that Japanese guns exist and are just inferior to contemporary European guns. Which is historically accurate from my understanding--Japan had enthusiastically embraced early guns when they were introduced but they had fallen somewhat out of favor by this point and didn't really keep up with advances in firearms. But for the rest of the show there is never a whiff of any Japanese firearms and guns are treated as an entirely new and revolutionary invention. I can accept a certain amount of historical liberty for dramatic purposes (or else I'd have a lot more to bitch about) but this one isn't even consistent with itself.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
Maybe I am late on Starship Troopers talk. I love this movie. It makes me laugh.

My take is that the Asteroid was heading to Earth anyway, and the humans just blamed a natural disaster on the Bugs. The humans were already in some sort of low-level conflict with the bugs as evidenced by the news channel and the teachers at school. They use the Asteroid as an excuse to escalate the war, and maybe as a way to cover up their incompetence in allowing it to hit Earth at all. In the 'future' they have these space cannons that can shoot asteroids out of the sky. Maybe it is just a way to show "We are winning!" by blasting rocks that were probably not going to hit Earth anyway.

There is also the argument to be made that the Starship Troopers society needs an endless hell war to justify their oppressive government, and to bleed away some of the "citizen class" so rights don't get extended to too many people.

I tend to see the movie as kind of a movie that the society depicted in the film would create as a recruiting tool. Hot teenagers are present for every important stage of the war, but you are all ultimately cogs in the machine. Join up now!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Grendels Dad posted:

Speaking of Disney IIMM, Frozen's way of handling the parents' responsibilities really bothers me. They separate their daughters, lock one up to "protect her" and don't tell her sister anything or deal with her being essentially a single child all of a sudden. I kind of want to kick the poo poo out of the parents for being such neglectful assholes to both their children, running their fairy-tale kingdom couldn't have been THAT demanding.

Then in Frozen II we learn that at least the mother has a fairly good idea of what was going on with Elsa and it seems like she subjected both her daughters to 15 years of isolation and uncertainty for shits and giggles the greater good. Just a completely messed up relationship from top to bottom.
The trolls in Frozen convinced the parents to do this because they recognized that Elsa growing into her powers with healthy encouragement would probably lead to everything getting turned into ice and/or getting wiped out by the hereditary monarchy in question. I mean, it still happened, of course, but nevertheless,

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Man Episode 1 of Season 3 of The Wire has a goofy amount of fast motion. This episode is like a Benny Hill chase.

Also these cops call each other "shitbird" an awful lot.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

FFT posted:

The trolls in Frozen convinced the parents to do this because they recognized that Elsa growing into her powers with healthy encouragement would probably lead to everything getting turned into ice and/or getting wiped out by the hereditary monarchy in question. I mean, it still happened, of course, but nevertheless,

The trolls said "Hey, your power is amazing but can also be really dangerous. It'll become more powerful over time, and you need to learn how to control it or people will fear you" and the king proceeded to tell her to never use them and act like they never existed. If she had actually practiced with her powers growing up, instead of waiting until she was a grown rear end adult, they probably would have had the occasional freak snowstorm in the summer when her powers were weaker when she lost control, rather than condemning the entire kingdom to an icy grave.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

What do the trolls expect to happen when the hereditary monarchy's scion achieves godlike power?

Troll: Your Majesty. Born with the powers, or cursed?
King: Uh, born, a-and they're getting stronger.
Troll: Her, here. [bit about the glancing blow to Elsa's little sister that actually didn't need any help blah blah "lucky it wasn't her heart"]
Troll: I recommend we remove all magic. Even memories of magic, to be safe. But don't worry, I'll leave the fun. She will be okay.
Elsa: But she won't remember I have powers?
King: It's for the best.
Troll: Listen to me, Elsa. Your power will only grow. There is beauty in it, but also great danger. You must learn to control it. Fear will be your enemy.
King: No! We'll protect her. She can learn to control it, I'm sure. Until then, we'll lock the gates. We'll reduce the staff. We will limit her contact with people, and keep her powers hidden from everyone. Including Anna.

And then "Do You Wanna Build a Snowman" happens

... my IIMM is now i feel the need to watch Frozen II to see if they did any further development on the trolls

stringless has a new favorite as of 12:21 on Apr 17, 2024

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

the holy poopacy posted:

I just got through Blue Eye Samurai and it owns, but one I did have one IIMM: in the very first scene Mizu identifies the bad guy's pistol as being European manufactured and says it's too sophisticated to be a Japanese pistol, so it's established right off the bat that Japanese guns exist and are just inferior to contemporary European guns. Which is historically accurate from my understanding--Japan had enthusiastically embraced early guns when they were introduced but they had fallen somewhat out of favor by this point and didn't really keep up with advances in firearms. But for the rest of the show there is never a whiff of any Japanese firearms and guns are treated as an entirely new and revolutionary invention. I can accept a certain amount of historical liberty for dramatic purposes (or else I'd have a lot more to bitch about) but this one isn't even consistent with itself.

Yeah, the whole plan about surprising the Shogun's forces with guns was irritating. Like everyone would just have forgotten about everything war-related that happened between the rise of Oda Nobunaga and the battle of Sekigahara.

I was also irritated with the number of times Mizu was gut-stabbed.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

FFT posted:

What do the trolls expect to happen when the hereditary monarchy's scion achieves godlike power?

Troll: Your Majesty. Born with the powers, or cursed?
King: Uh, born, a-and they're getting stronger.
Troll: Her, here. [bit about the glancing blow to Elsa's little sister that actually didn't need any help blah blah "lucky it wasn't her heart"]
Troll: I recommend we remove all magic. Even memories of magic, to be safe. But don't worry, I'll leave the fun. She will be okay.
Elsa: But she won't remember I have powers?
King: It's for the best.
Troll: Listen to me, Elsa. Your power will only grow. There is beauty in it, but also great danger. You must learn to control it. Fear will be your enemy.
King: No! We'll protect her. She can learn to control it, I'm sure. Until then, we'll lock the gates. We'll reduce the staff. We will limit her contact with people, and keep her powers hidden from everyone. Including Anna.

And then "Do You Wanna Build a Snowman" happens

... my IIMM is now i feel the need to watch Frozen II to see if they did any further development on the trolls

Frozen 2 answers every question that didn't need answering and ignores everything you might have actually wondered about imo

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Some things never change, like how lovely the music of Frozen is even in its sequel

seriously, how are they so bad at this and how were they rehired for the sequel

lmao the troll leader immediately offers to take over the kingdom while they go on an adventure? and they go "nice, thanks"? come on

stringless has a new favorite as of 12:50 on Apr 17, 2024

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FFT posted:

Some things never change, like how lovely the music of Frozen is even in its sequel

seriously, how are they so bad at this and how were they rehired for the sequel

There has never been a more appropriate time or place to suggest that someone with an IIMM should let it go.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Speaking of Disney music, "How Far I'll Go" from Moana seems like a song they had laying around for a while and then shoehorned into that movie when it came along. It's the only one that doesn't fit and sounds nothing like the rest of the soundtrack.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Elissimpark posted:

Yeah, the whole plan about surprising the Shogun's forces with guns was irritating. Like everyone would just have forgotten about everything war-related that happened between the rise of Oda Nobunaga and the battle of Sekigahara.

I was also irritated with the number of times Mizu was gut-stabbed.

If anything it would have suited the show's themes even better to have some of Shogun's forces confidently march out with older generation matchlocks and get blown away by the coup forces having more and better guns. As it is the coup mostly just makes the Japanese look like idiots.

Shrugging off serious injuries is just basic action movie schlock and while I wish the show was better about it (especially since the first couple episodes actually did kind of pretend injuries had consequences) but at least it's in good company there.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I tend to see the movie as kind of a movie that the society depicted in the film would create as a recruiting tool. Hot teenagers are present for every important stage of the war, but you are all ultimately cogs in the machine. Join up now!

Maybe you too can be with Johnny Rico!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The parents in frozen are poo poo and the point is they were poo poo. The point of the second one is that their grandparents were even more poo poo.

The best part of the first movie though is in the beginning when the king runs in and says "Elsa what have you done" and Maurice is just using his Calculon voice.

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Maurice is just using his Calculon voice.

AHA! I knew it sounded familiar!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's 1989 and I'm watching Real Ghostbusters. Maurice LaMarche's voice is on my TV.
It's 1994 and I'm watching The Critic. Maurice LaMarche's voice is on my TV.
It's 1996 and I'm watching Pinky and the Brain. Maurice LaMarche's voice is on my TV.
It's 2000 and I'm watching Futurama. Maurice LaMarche's voice is on my TV.
It's 2010 and I'm playing Arkham Asylum. Maurice LaMarche's voice is on my TV.
It's 2021 and my children are obsessed with Frozen. Maurice LaMarche's voice is on my TV.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I just remembered a Batman comic where it ends when Bats is about to watch the erotic drama "In the Realm of the Senses."

This was from the series that had the same artstyle as the Conroy cartoon. How did that get past the editors?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I just remembered a Batman comic where it ends when Bats is about to watch the erotic drama "In the Realm of the Senses."

This was from the series that had the same artstyle as the Conroy cartoon. How did that get past the editors?

Written by the same people probably. They knew what they were doing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Baron von Eevl posted:

The parents in frozen are poo poo and the point is they were poo poo.

I could never get into Frozen just because the parents came across as so abusive. The incompetent hurt-you-while-smiling type rather than the deliberate hurt-you-while-yelling type.

Just loving traumatised and isolated a terrified child. At least they had the decency to Disney Parent themselves and die, I suppose.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just loving traumatised and isolated a terrified child.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, emotionally damaging their other child through neglect. They spend all their time in Elsa's room or doing invisible king poo poo while Anna is going nuts riding bikes in the hall. It seems like she only has a closed door to talk to, it doesn't really matter that she was on the side where she was not technically locked in.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Honestly it still puts them above 80% of royalty.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

the holy poopacy posted:

If anything it would have suited the show's themes even better to have some of Shogun's forces confidently march out with older generation matchlocks and get blown away by the coup forces having more and better guns. As it is the coup mostly just makes the Japanese look like idiots.

Shrugging off serious injuries is just basic action movie schlock and while I wish the show was better about it (especially since the first couple episodes actually did kind of pretend injuries had consequences) but at least it's in good company there.

I haven't seen the coup yet, but that sounds irritating.

I think the gut wound bugged me because they treated it seriously. Shrugging off one pre-antibiotics would be impressive. Two or more and it becomes "really?".

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

Honestly it still puts them above 80% of royalty.
At least 80% of royals have also died.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FFT posted:

At least 80% of royals have also died.

For census purposes, the undead don't count to of having died. It just saves a real big paperwork/record keeping headache.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

dr_rat posted:

For census purposes, the undead don't count to of having died. It just saves a real big paperwork/record keeping headache.

But roughly 60% of royalty is a kind of undead!

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
First episode of Fallout the show, couldn't help but laugh when they undercut a dramatic moment with the sound effect of the main character using a video game healing item.

IIMM: loving sten guns? You have the whole of iconic fallout guns to choose from and go for sten guns instead?

Much of what's going on between the two vaults made no sense to me

and why, and HOW did they build the vault underneath a loving beach?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That last point got me. When the main character looks down, you can see the vault goes down far. Like 50 levels far.

Guess they never had to worry about getting water. Maybe it even acted as coolant for their reactor.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That last point got me. When the main character looks down, you can see the vault goes down far. Like 50 levels far.

Guess they never had to worry about getting water. Maybe it even acted as coolant for their reactor.

Maybe it's only a few actual floors, but each floor has space for a massive room? The corn field area was a couple floors high. Either that, or repurposed ICBM silo?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

First episode of Fallout the show, couldn't help but laugh when they undercut a dramatic moment with the sound effect of the main character using a video game healing item.

IIMM: loving sten guns? You have the whole of iconic fallout guns to choose from and go for sten guns instead?

Much of what's going on between the two vaults made no sense to me

and why, and HOW did they build the vault underneath a loving beach?

It's been a while since I've played the games, but I imagine the sten guns are used because they're mass-produced guns from pre-50s era. Like, the vaults aren't going to get the cool poo poo, and later there's a guy who shoots garbage out of a gun (which I remember being a thing in either 3 or NV) so it's not like they're not aware of the iconic stuff.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Supposed to be a pipe weapon is my guess.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So I know DC believes superheroes don't do oral, but...

...Batman eat the egg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Morpheus posted:

It's been a while since I've played the games, but I imagine the sten guns are used because they're mass-produced guns from pre-50s era. Like, the vaults aren't going to get the cool poo poo, and later there's a guy who shoots garbage out of a gun (which I remember being a thing in either 3 or NV) so it's not like they're not aware of the iconic stuff.

I just checked to be sure and I don't see how guns that were over a hundred years old by the time the people go into the vault would be easier to procure than other stuff. Also apparently the only fallout game that even featured them was Tactics. It's such a weird choice that irrationally irritates me (and so would have seeing just about any other real world gun there) . 3 had the games' staple 10mm pistol used in that vault.

I'm not sure if that tranq pistol is a model that shows up in the games or an original or just a more obscure real gun but at least it fits the look.