Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Aggressive pricing posted:

It was ok, but I don't think it was nearly tongue-in-cheek enough to play off the funny side of the premis and not serious enough to be taken seriously. Like the sword at the end, that should have either been some dramatic super weapon or absolutely hilarious, and all I could think is "They had that the whole time? Why didn't they use it before?"
...It was hilarious though? Sorry you didn't find it funny, but I burst out laughing at the "sword" button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Well that just raises the question of why they would keep information like that on a computer system someone could infiltrate from the Internet in the first place.
Relax, there's a rogue pseudo-AI/really advanced UI living in the Internet Nexus in Oslo keeping it safe.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Disgusting Coward posted:

Often people write things down and this does not reflect reality. For example, the mermaids that supposedly lured sailors to their deaths. Or the heroic deeds of Heracles. Or Prester John's Nestorian empire. Or the various martial arts manuals through the years that say "Oh yeah in a fight just do x, then y and if he does z then just do..." and then expect dudes to pull that poo poo off in a crisis situation.
Yeah, that's...not what any of the books they're talking about say.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Plus, Immorten would have to turn around anyway. I don't remember an explination as to why the war party essentially sets up camp when the rig passes the swamp and Bullet Farmer is killed.
From that point to them crossing the war party again is over a day later.
Immortan is grieving for Splendid and the son, so stops the war party. That's what prompts Bullet Farmer to get pissed off and charge ahead, among other things. The mines laid by Max probably don't help, either.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, the soundtrack weaves some of the riffs in as it nears the Doof Warrior, and its really obviously a riff instead of just smashing the guitar or whatever Zaphod's talking about. Listen to the video above and it'll be a lot more obvious. I thought it was a really need effect, personally.

e: Thanks for the link, too, its pretty cool.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

darkhand posted:

I need to rewatch it again, but did the tattoo actually have identifying information? I kinda thought it was just a generic drivers license tattoo to go along with the whole car cult worship.
Identifies his blood type, estimated age in days, where he was captured, some notes about what he had when captured, and some notes on his general health.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Amoeba102 posted:

"Our plan will work perfectly. So long as nothing bad happens."

*Next scene, something bad happens*

Happened in the Martian.
We were all already thinking it, which makes it even worse. I'm pretty sure Teddy smirks at the camera too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yeah I get all that, but what I'm saying is they couldn't have waited 10 minutes for Cap to bail?

He was all "it has to be done RIGHT NOW". Just seemed a little over the top when he could have very well made it out in enough time, THEN they blow them up.
They just broke into one of the most secure places on the planet with an unknown number of enemies. Whether or not Hydra has a way to quickly change their targeting protocols back (or lock out the guns altogether until the bug can be fixed) is unknown, so, blow them up ASAP because you might never get another chance.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Novum posted:

I always assumed that if you shot a regular bullet at a jedi and he deflected it all that he would do is cover himself in high speed molten lead.
He could just force push it though?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

syscall girl posted:

Not strong enough to pull a trigger but strong enough to participate in the conspiracy to take the wives to freedom?

Seems odd.
Strong enough to go along with a plan as long as the beneficiaries are right there, but hesitating at the last minute when she's alone?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

That's actually all explained in the title crawl. Did you come in late?
Its really shittily explained, though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

KoB posted:

You are hella projecting.

Sadness didnt save the day, Joy saved the day by accepting sadness.
Not only this, I thought the movie did a drat good job by showing that depression isn't the same as sadness at all.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Slime posted:

I'm not really going to defend the show as a whole because yeah it's not exactly great, but you're really missing the point here. You're complaining that she suddenly seems to lose her hangup about killing him, but you yourself gave a reason that she would lose that hangup. By not killing him she allowed more people to die, so she's decided to put aside her qualms about straight up killing a dude and just kill him, because by that point it's become obvious to her that killing is the best solution in this case. Sometimes people change their minds. Weird, huh?
And she goes to great lengths to not kill him early because proving that he mind-controls people is how she is is planning to get Hope free and prove her innocence. She's hugely emotionally investing in saving Hope for reasons I'd hope would be obvious. Eventually it gets bad enough that she abandons that plan. This is explicitly stated several times, because several people want to just kind of kill the guy.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Not really? It's like in breaking bad you realize you have been rooting for the villain, but in this case no one acknowledges this and the hero is an incomprehensible mess of contradictory motivations and tones.
No, you just weren't paying attention. Why did you think Hope killed herself?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gaunab posted:

She only did that like two times.
The only one I really remember is put a bullet in your head and a few times where she tricks the person into believing they accomplished their task. When else?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tagichatn posted:

Wasn't it some specialized anesthesia drug? Why would a PI know where to get some?
It was supposed to be, but the writers didn't actually do any research on the drug they picked. Fentanyl (the parent drug that's far more common in hospitals) happens to be involved in a bunch of heroin overdoses at the moment, and sufentanil is iirc available as a transdermal patch in the US and is schedule II. My guess is that the writers googled "most powerful sedative" or w/e and went with that. So yeah, in comic-book land the drug was a surgery-only sedative, so not something dealers would even have. It was a pretty easy thing to just suspend disbelief for, tbh.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

hackbunny posted:

Wait, don't tell me, let me guess. Purple suit, mind control: the villain is the Purple Man, right? mind-controlling, notorious creepy rapist Purple Man. And the rapist thing has come out or will come out soon. Did I guess right? and is it as terrible as I think? creepy in a bad way?
They handle it pretty well, actually.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Not really. She got mentioned until someone brought up the fact that her car was found at the bus station. Then everyone sort of throws up their hands and forgets about it. I'm not entirely sure her name is ever mentioned again. Maybe once when her friend says she wants to get revenge?
Nancy's entire motivation is finding Barb. She mentions it constantly and approaches Jonathon because he had a picture of her right before she vanished. She spends the entire time that El is looking for Will asking about Barb, too. The fact that nobody else, including the cop guy, says anything is kind of funny though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

They didn't even know that lady though?
Hopper probably does, at least a bit, and is still the sheriff responsible for her. Literally nobody but Nancy cares at all, but Nancy does care and does mention her a lot.

e: vvvv I'm reasonably sure their theory isn't totally correct. Will isn't bleeding when he gets grabbed. I checked, when he crashes his bike there's no cut

Ravenfood has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Aug 29, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Well, he WAS Argentinian...
Yeah I thought that was a very deliberate reference on top of the general lampooning of whitewashing movie starts.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pussy Quipped posted:

Plus it's not like these guys are wearing name tags or anything.
And if they did actually exist, they'd have a shitton of nicknames and joking epithets just because, man, what kind of dude goes around calling himself Hawkeye? That's just weird. We already call our celebrities all kinds of weird names and they don't have literal magic hammers or superpowers and poo poo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Yeah but, like, do you think a hawker from Harlem would immediately know who you're talking about if you mention Rosie the Riveter?

If her whole deal was riveting Nazis in the face as part of a huge ad campaign and then she came back to life suddenly, yeah, probably.

E:. Which is a spin-off I'd watch.

Ravenfood has a new favorite as of 17:05 on Oct 5, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Polaron posted:

Given she takes that armor off of an inspection/flight control guy I think they're light-up sticks to direct landing aircraft. You can see the light-up part sticking out of the bottom of the armor's backpack.
Its this. You can see one of the troopers using them to guide the shuttle in to land.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

The best part is nobody remembers the sacrifices of Rogue One. None of them got a parade like Luke Skywalker and Han Solo. There aren't even ships named after them.
My guess was that Luke eventually names his fighter squadron in their honor, which is kind of a neat little tie-in to ESB.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Alopex posted:

Why didn't Gandalf just call up those loving eagles from the start instead of dragging people around mountains and mines and losing hobbits all over?
Its very likely they wouldn't have come. The only eagle that directly shows up when Gandalf calls is Gwaihir and he only shows up to save Gandalf (and friends if Gandalf is with them). The rest only show up in ways that are usually not directly consequential to the events of Middle Earth because they're an angel-analogue who aren't really supposed to directly interfere. So they show up after the major events to help clean up or rescue the worthy but don't really directly interfere. For instance, they show up to drive Morgoth away from Fingolfin's body after Fingolfin is already dead instead of just dive-bombing Morgoth during the fight when it might have made a difference. Also, without the massive distraction of Aragorn acting like he'd claimed the Ring for himself and marching on the Teeth, its very likely they'd just have been stopped by the Nine mid-air. The Eagles are one of those creatures that are probably highly visible magically so if they're flying for Mordor en masse, Sauron is going to know about it. And he's got a bunch of archers and Fellbeasts and poo poo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Samovar posted:

Hang on. After Gandalf and the Balrog get chucked off the bridge, how the hell did they get on top of a mountain?

They fought a running battle through tunnels and up stairs, all built by dwarves. Gandalf says this.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BuddyChrist posted:

The snowspeeders are modified a-wing starfighters,
No, they're low-altitude aircraft and weren't spaceworthy. The Rebels basically modified some Little Birds or Cesnas to give them some semblance of airpower.

Ravenfood has a new favorite as of 21:19 on Mar 20, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yes, but he was rejecting them because he didn't want to spoil his perfect record, not because there were unacceptable risks to the patient. Presumably they passed whatever criteria the hospital was using to determine that surgery was appropriate. He was only taking "miracle doctor cures impossible patient!" type cases, and rejecting the "well, we've restored *partial* function in your arms" ones.
Yeah, that criteria is "does the surgeon want to do it."

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rydiafan posted:

The growth has been drastically accelerated as the films went on. So has the incubation time. The first victim in Alien had the Facehugger on for hours, and didn't burst until hours after it detached. Also, the thing that burst from him was a larval stage with no limbs, unlike the tiny version of the adult that hatched in Covenant.
In Alien it does grow from the chestburster to the full xeno in roughly an hour, though, if I am remembering my timeline correctly.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Randalor posted:

Isn't there a throwaway line in the first film that the alien had eaten through the floors? I don't think they ever actually show someone having been eaten by the aliens, just killed in various ways or podded for incubating more aliens (or turning into eggs if you go by deleted scenes).
Its acid does, not the alien. What it eats in Alien is unclear but it's either the food stores or just magic.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nutsngum posted:

Longbows were popular everywhere (its just a big stick afterall) but the English had the whole "teach everyone how to use them properly in a military setting" which kicked a lot of rear end. I honestly have no idea how popular crossbows were in general armies outside of sieges (Which were actually much more common then open battles).
Very. Crossbows were the poo poo and had essentially (with a few exceptions) replaced bows by the end of the 12th century in Europe. Reloading speed was less of an issue once people figured out to mix crossbowmen in with pikemen and/or the use of pavises with reloading teams. You could hand a man a crossbow and have him be relatively accurate with a high-powered shot pretty easily. Bows required a lot of training to be able to get close to the accuracy or power of a crossbow and gained only a rate of fire advantage in return for requiring years of practice. If you can afford to keep around a corps of experienced longbowmen, you might be strictly speaking better off, but in pretty much every other respects a crossbow is superior.

e: Crossbows were also more expensive to produce, so I suppose that's another point. Still. Crossbows were great.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Len posted:

My coworkers are okay with my saying "gonna go potty brb" or "gotta tinkle" but saying I gotta poo is over sharing. People are weird

Why are your coworkers okay with you talking like a child?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Great Burrito posted:

I guess my IIMM is the horror trope is having all your characters do the absolute worst and nonsense things because you can't figure out a way for the monster to get them otherwise. I know Prometheus has been done to death but seriously was that like the cheapest biologist they could find or something? "Hey an alien snake came out of this slime, I'm going to poke it!". I know it's a common slasher thing but it's weird that they're still doing it like 30 years after dumb teens in horror films became kind of a running joke.
Literally yes, he was the cheapest biologist they could find. They're all basically budget hires.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell was a social commentary that people went all crazy about because of the magic and the twee Britishness. It's like people who think The Man in the High Castle is supposed to be an alternate history thriller. Missing the point is the biggest genre of fiction.
The social commentary is amazing, but, to be fair, so is the magic and general writing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

FreshFeesh posted:

While there's plenty to complain about The Dark Tower, this part at the end really, really irked me. When Roland and Walter are having their showdown, Roland fires a single bullet straight at him, pauses, then fires another bullet that ricochets and hits the first bullet, altering its course.

I know this is a world of magic and guns-that-are-Excalibur and the like, but c'mon: you can't have a an object take a longer path, let alone after a pause, and intersect an object that is traveling the same speed on a straight trajectory.

It may have been stupid but that the movie put so much emphasis on that moment makes me irrationally angry about it.
Is there any reason they couldn't have just made this even cooler by having the first shot being the one that ricochets into the second, straight-fired bullet? That'd be even more impressive and less stupid. I haven't seen it so I have no idea if that'd even work.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Something I found annoying about Jigsaw that the last couple of Saw movies did too is that the "games" are purposefully set up to be unwinnable. Which kind of ruins the movie because it goes from "are they going to be able to solve the puzzles?" to "they can't and will all die anyway."

Yeah that's annoying. Though frankly, every Saw movie since Saw has been utter poo poo so I don't know why it bothered me so much.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

One of those cases where when the fanbase has to actually be distinctive and contemptible enough to be worth mocking. It always comes off as jarring or tone-deaf when a show mocks generic embarassing/nerdy/obsessed fans rather than something relatable or recognisable.
Yeah, the episode where Sherlock mocks all of the fan theories about how he survived just comes across as incredibly mean-spirited, because they're basically just enthusiastic fans instead of the incredibly weird fanbase that he actually has.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

I'm aware. It's why demasking is always a powerful visual symbol of either depowering or humanity. Vader was the mask, and we see the scarred up dude underneath in the end. Robocop's mask gets removed and/or broken off as part of him identifying as Murphy again. You've lost a powerful beat if Scary Masked Dude isn't exposed, at the end, as Dumpy Dude.

poo poo, one of earlier Mad Max films did it, with a demasking revealing that some strong dude was special needs. It's not exactly hard.

This is why his face is ripped off and he is displayed for, and torn apart by, the mob at the very end. It gets across any message that demasking him would do while having slightly more subtlety than a punch to the face. It's not necessary since we are introduced to him being masked and carefully creating his appearance. The message is sent.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

I've never seen it, and only know a little bit about the comic / movie. But given that the dude's history is a mystery, he makes a point to say what's behind his mask isn't important (I think?), and the dude is in a loving mask, yeah, it'd better that it pops off than if it doesn't.
You are just a walking TVTropes bot, aren't you.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Not really an annoyance, just a question. Has Thor been able to make Mjolnir look like things besides a hammer before? I never saw Thor 2 so I have no idea if that came up at all there.
I figured that was Loki's work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

blarzgh posted:

Oh, and another thing: what's the goddamn point of not telling Poe and everyone on board about the plan? To test them all and see which of the last handful of rebels in the universe would follow orders unquestioningly?
it might not be the best idea to tell everyone that your plan is to sneak away in cloaked, unshielded transport ships just in case you have a traitor on board.