Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It helps if the Kickstarter takes inspiration from a game that wasn't good in the first place. Shovel Knights owes a big debt to Zelda II of all things.

zelda 2 ruled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

I still say "grabbin pills" when I go get a bottle of aspirin or something.

:same:

I think Back 4 Blood could have been good, except for the insanely stupid and bad "power card" system or whatever the gently caress. It was just like the insanely stupid and bad "star card" system EA put into Battlefront 2, 100% pure loot crate bait. Actually playing the game was fun and there were a lot of cool setpieces, but holy poo poo the stupid card system. Just give me a guy or a lady who can maybe do a thing, and some guns and like, sharpened rakes and let me go hog wild! I don't want or need to build a deck of cards to unlock "baseball bat +10% damage to stunned enemies", I just want to hit the monster until it explodes :mad:

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Biplane posted:

I just want to hit the monster until it explodes :mad:

An odd euphemism, but I'll allow it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Biplane posted:

:same:

I think Back 4 Blood could have been good, except for the insanely stupid and bad "power card" system or whatever the gently caress. It was just like the insanely stupid and bad "star card" system EA put into Battlefront 2, 100% pure loot crate bait. Actually playing the game was fun and there were a lot of cool setpieces, but holy poo poo the stupid card system. Just give me a guy or a lady who can maybe do a thing, and some guns and like, sharpened rakes and let me go hog wild! I don't want or need to build a deck of cards to unlock "baseball bat +10% damage to stunned enemies", I just want to hit the monster until it explodes :mad:

Also its weapon system was unnccessarily overcomplicated just for the sake of having "more". L4D had it figured out just right: lovely starter guns for the first part of a mission to make you scrape and struggle a bit, then a selection of actually good guns, all about equally powerful, at determined checkpoints. Gives you a nice sense of progression and added power as you go along, while also allowing for a consistent escalation in enemy numbers without overwhelming the players.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What games go overboard with the stats and modifiers, and what does them right?

I watched the Suicide Squad review by Monty Zander and it's full of nonsense like "criticals do extra damage but regular damage heal them."

On the other hand it was a surprise that Mass Effect 3's skill system actually tallied the numbers up in an easy to read manner.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

A lot of modern AAA games have asinine stat systems that don't mean anything. God of War, Horizon, probably Asscred (didn't play any). I've started playing the PS4 Spider-Man and already groaned at LEVEL UP! +5% SWING SPEED and the prospect of crafting suits and putting poo poo in slots. gently caress off

A game that got it quite good after a billion patches is actually Diablo 3. They broke down stats in three broad categories - damage, defense, regeneration - and showed a quick representation of how those change for new equipment. On console, there's even a quick equip when you pick up something shiny and better, don't have to go into the menu, it's brilliant.

Also, the weapons don't have damage and attack speed as the only values, they have a combined DPS stat too so you can tell at a glance if a hammer is better than a sword despite it being slower.

Sure, if you want to optimize your build for idk thorns synergy or go nitty gritty with a mix of elemental types, you have to dig a bit deeper, but that's also kinda what you're playing the game for at some point.

The most baffling thing about this is that Diablo 4 doesn't have the quick equip and its menus are also somehow worse.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zelda 2 is one of those weird cases where the sequel to a beloved game wasn't bad, just different, and the fans were so mad that they changed it that they refused to recognize that the game was still actually really good.

What other examples are there of this phenomenon? Where a sequel is a major genre shift, but still pulls it off? The only other one I can think of is Super Mario Bros 2, which is still a platformer, but a wildly different style from the first game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Zelda II only became a "sequel" late in development. Before then it was an unrelated game.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Zelda II only became a "sequel" late in development. Before then it was an unrelated game.

I don't think that's true - are you thinking of SMB2?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
did you know that Super Mario Bros 2 was originally called Doki Doki Panic in Japan?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Zelda 2 is one of those weird cases where the sequel to a beloved game wasn't bad, just different, and the fans were so mad that they changed it that they refused to recognize that the game was still actually really good.

What other examples are there of this phenomenon? Where a sequel is a major genre shift, but still pulls it off? The only other one I can think of is Super Mario Bros 2, which is still a platformer, but a wildly different style from the first game.
Metroid Prime

Symphony of the Night

Hell, Mario 64 just for the jump to 3D

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Dino Crisis 1 and 2.

Okay, arguable about how much the sequel pulls it off, but from what I've heard, if you weren't hoping for the same survival horror gameplay, it was pretty good.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Parasite Eve went from semi-realtime JRPG to survival horror-inspired arcade shooter. And then nothing else happened.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The skill tree in AC Valhalla is ridiculous. There are hundreds of nodes with +5 health and poo poo, and then twenty or thirty useful skills (like being able to return enemy arrows to them or stomp on enemies on the ground).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

Metroid Prime

Symphony of the Night

Hell, Mario 64 just for the jump to 3D

Nice, thank you! Your posting of SotN reminded me that Castlevania II had a similar "they changed it and it sucks" reaction, because of the change from strict level-based progression to an open-world RPG-ish thing. Though, CV2 also has the issue that it was hideously unintuitive in English, thanks to a cramped translation and some outright lies from NPCs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I watched the Suicide Squad review by Monty Zander and it's full of nonsense like "criticals do extra damage but regular damage heal them."

On the other hand it was a surprise that Mass Effect 3's skill system actually tallied the numbers up in an easy to read manner.

Fire Emblem has both. The level-up and stat system is a dumb mess and always has been, but in battle it tells you exactly how much damage you will do, and your chance to hit, crit etc. that specific enemy.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Nice, thank you! Your posting of SotN reminded me that Castlevania II had a similar "they changed it and it sucks" reaction, because of the change from strict level-based progression to an open-world RPG-ish thing. Though, CV2 also has the issue that it was hideously unintuitive in English, thanks to a cramped translation and some outright lies from NPCs.
Arguably CV2 was already a Metroidvania and SotN just revisited the structure But Good Now, so maybe it's either not a good example or the best one

Generally there are probably a huge amount of game series where the first game was something quite different from the sequels, but it might not spring quickly to mind because the first one was e.g. a terrible RPG/action hybrid and for the sequel they made it pure action and it's much better now, but nobody played the original and it's not even clear that the sequel is technically the same franchise.

For example did anybody (besides me, I emulated it out of curiosity) play the first Gex, the 2D PSX/Saturn sidescroller? Do people know that Enter the Gecko is Gex 2: 3D edition?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Spec Ops: The Line.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Like a Dragon is an obvious recent addition

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One of the biggest genre shifts of all time is Dynasty Warriors 1 to Dynasty Warriors 2. 1 was a forgettable fighting game, the second is arguably one of the most influential beat 'em ups of all time and when you say Dynasty Warriors now everyone knows you're talking about the big massive army battle stuff.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Sonic Adventure 2 removed all the adventure game elements.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Encased, which is a game strangely similar to Fallout 1, has a ton of almost-but-not-quite-insignificant stat modifiers for just about everything you do. Ate spicey food? Got wet? Took a piss recently? Fail to pick a lock within the last couple minutes? All these add to the stack of stat effects going on at any time.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Duke Nukem started off as a sidescrolling platformer

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ImpAtom posted:

One of the biggest genre shifts of all time is Dynasty Warriors 1 to Dynasty Warriors 2. 1 was a forgettable fighting game, the second is arguably one of the most influential beat 'em ups of all time and when you say Dynasty Warriors now everyone knows you're talking about the big massive army battle stuff.

"In Japan, the game was released as Sangokumusou. With the next installment in the series a departure in genre and style from the original Dynasty Warriors, it was entitled Shin Sangokumusou in Japan. Nevertheless, in Europe and North America, the game was released as Dynasty Warriors 2, leading to a discrepancy in title numbers that has continued ever since."

They don't make them every couple of years every more, so I doubt it's a recurring source of confusion for Japanese players.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Apr 24, 2024

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

credburn posted:

Encased, which is a game strangely similar to Fallout 1, has a ton of almost-but-not-quite-insignificant stat modifiers for just about everything you do. Ate spicey food? Got wet? Took a piss recently? Fail to pick a lock within the last couple minutes? All these add to the stack of stat effects going on at any time.

I really want to like Encased and it does scratch that FO1/2 itch, but there really is too much going on at any one time. However with enough Influence I can get tipsy and become more charismatic so that’s nice.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

"In Japan, the game was released as Sangokumusou. With the next installment in the series a departure in genre and style from the original Dynasty Warriors, it was entitled Shin Sangokumusou in Japan. Nevertheless, in Europe and North America, the game was released as Dynasty Warriors 2, leading to a discrepancy in title numbers that has continued ever since."

Yeah, but "Shin Sangokumusou" is basically titling it "New Dynasty Warriors."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

credburn posted:

That reminds me of how The Outer Worlds has a bunch of buff items but their duration was way too low and so it never felt worth doing.

For games that change things up between sequels there's the Jak series where the first was basically a 3D Mario style platformer and then the sequels were more open world games. Introducing vehicles and guns. Then of course the last one was a racing game.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Most of Control's modifiers went overboard. Not just a paltry percentage amount, but they would often have absurd qualifications, like:
"+3% damage to flying enemies when you are flying"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The mod system in Control was entirely unnecessary and should have been cut

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

haveblue posted:

The mod system in Control was entirely unnecessary and should have been cut

Whenever there's weirdly specific systems that don't have a lot of impact I always assume that at one point it was much more important, but got scaled back a ton during testing.

Otherwise it's always seemed weird to me to put extremely small, extremely specific bonuses on equipment.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

[...] where a sequel is a major genre shift, but still pulls it off?

SWAT managed two genre shifts in four games, starting out with an FMV game (which, in fairness, set the bar low) and an isometric RTS before settling on tactical FPS

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The insane thing is that there are some extremely powerful bonuses in there like “+40% damage all the time” competing with those inconsequential 3% conditional bonuses, and also that they added even more of those conditional bonuses like “get a few pennies worth of currency when you receive melee damage” in the DLC, after the devs had to have seen how uncompelling it all is.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I remember I got an absurdly powerful 0-cost one at some point but I can't remember what it did.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Philippe posted:

The skill tree in AC Valhalla is ridiculous. There are hundreds of nodes with +5 health and poo poo, and then twenty or thirty useful skills (like being able to return enemy arrows to them or stomp on enemies on the ground).

That's not even the worst part of it.

Who the gently caress puts FOG OF WAR on a skill tree?!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

goblin week posted:

did you know that Super Mario Bros 2 was originally called Doki Doki Panic in Japan?

Did you know Doki Doki Panic started out as a mario 2 tech demo?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

interestingly doki doki literature club was originally Mario Teaches Typing 2

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The steamworld games?

Whichever Kirby went to pinball?

The Rambo series of films?

Soccer turning into rugby?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Mario to Mario 2 is not a "major shift" in anything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

credburn posted:

Mario to Mario 2 is not a "major shift" in anything.

In what way?

Mario 2 plays almost nothing like Mario 1 except for being a side scrolling platformer. Mario 1 and 3 play pretty much the same + some evolution but Mario 2 remains an oddity.You pick up and throw things to defeat enemies, and jumping on enemies isn't a method of attack aside from picking them up afterwards and tossing them, you have an actual health bar instead of one-hit damage, there's no Fire Flowers or anything, there are multiple playable characters with unique skills, etc.

Some of this stuff eventually came back but even things like Luigi's High Jump/Peach's Float don't go hand-in-hand with SMB2 gameplay.

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

mario 2 also had a light exploration puzzle aspect that didn’t really get reintroduced to the series until super Mario land 3: wario land