Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Does anyone else struggle with Dostoyevsky? I'm about halfway through The Idiot (translated by Alan Myers) and it kind of feels like a slog, which is a shame because I love the idea but it's just scene after scene of psychopaths babbling at each other. I know that's kind of the point, but it's giving me real "glancing at my watch" vibes and I can't tell if it's worth pushing through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Franchescanado posted:

Notes From Underground is pretty short, and it's basically the narrator's paranoid thoughts and moral justifications.

They're just clunky to read. I read the PnV of Notes From Underground, and it was a fine and good experience. Since then, though, every time I've compared a PnV translation to a different one, I almost always prefer the other one. They're verbose, and it comes off as clunky or overly complicated.

Here's a decent write-up about them: https://www.commentary.org/articles/gary-morson/the-pevearsion-of-russian-literature/

I like that this writer suggests that:

quote:

For Dostoevsky, familiarity with Dickens goes a long way

because I can't stand Dickens.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

derp posted:

the pull quotes on my copy are all about how funny it is O_O

Reactions to Lolita have been weird since it came out but to be fair, it is funny, which is part of Humbert trying to seduce the reader. I've sometimes thought the best way to adapt Lolita would be as a stand-up comedy routine, because humor is one of the most effective ways to (try to) bring people onto your side of a story, and would really go hand-in-hand with stuff like how much of Louis CK's stand-up routines (remember all the great jokes about public masturbation?) are now grimly unfunny in light of his abuse. Honestly, it's part of why I actually really like the musical adaptation, because for all of its faults it comes the closest to the actual tone of the novel, where you have to do battle with his framing of events.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I mean, that line is also given to Quilty, who Humbert would love for you to believe is too disgusting to deserve to live. It's the same as in the book, where you're conscious of how Humbert is presenting the other characters to you, as opposed to them existing in a neutral space. It's kind of an interesting use of the genre in that regard.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Criminal Minded posted:

Yeah, no problem! My favorite store, besides having the best selection in town they have two adorable black cats just hanging out.

Where is this so I can plan my next vacation around it?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

blue squares posted:

While we're posting bad takes that everyone hates, here's mine: the characters in War and Peace are completely unrealistic.

I seriously don't get why this book is held up as a masterpiece with the most realistic, full-of-depth characters ever written. They fall in love at first sight, are absurdly passionate about everything, etc. Their moods and emotions are so over the top to me. They don't feel real at all.

They're not unrealistic, they're just kind of stupid and Tolstoy's really good at laying out the ways they're stupid, which is why it's so fun to read. The bit where Pierre goes to someone's house and fucks up their obsessive furniture arragement by sitting in the wrong chair is extremely funny. It's like The Sopranos.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I know nothing about Franzen as a person but I really liked The Corrections for its ability to bend the narrative voice just enough for you to get insight into not just how the characters think, but what they misinterpret or ignore. As the different voices start to pile up, you get a great insight into how the blinders of their perspectives and outlooks damage their understanding of one another, which is just really fascinating to me. That kind of sprawling psychological insight is why I loved Anna Karenina and Buddenbrooks.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I almost accidentally bought a second copy because I didn't realize it was just a re-translation with a new title. (The one I have already is "Kukin kuolee itsekseen" i.e. "Everyone dies on their own" whereas the new one is "Yksin Berliinissä" i.e. "Alone in Berlin".)

I did that with Camus's The Stranger, which was also published as The Outsider, though having two translations of such a short book is kind of interesting because you can basically read them back to back. I'm sure it's been done, but it makes me want to read a book that's presented as two translations of a nonexistent book, and each translation is different enough that it radically changes the meaning of the text.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

knob, knoba, knobakov

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

thehoodie posted:

i need to feed my family

let them eat books

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Lobster Henry posted:

I wonder how the hell I read To the Lighthouse five or six years ago and didn’t get much out of it. There’s something astonishing on every page of this book!

The dinner scene in To The Lighthouse is one of my favorite passages in any book, and there's been more than one moment in every Woolf book I've read where I just have to put the book down for a second because the cumulative emotional impact is so overpowering. She just went beast mode at all times.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Finished Woolf's The Years. The last segment collects basically every character who's still alive into a single room, and it made me wish I'd kept track of them in a chart because a lot of them I just plain forgot about, not because they're forgettable but because the book moves between them so often throughout that you really only get glimpses of many of them (also I read this over too long a period). I'd rank this somewhere above The Waves and below To The Lighthouse, but it contains some of my favorite themes (failure to connect, the unrelenting passage of time, the way some people do everything they can to hold on to the nowness of now) and expresses them so unbelievably beautifully that I almost want to reread it right away just because I can't believe that it was all in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Gaius Marius posted:

The biggest problem to me is how flabby his prose is. He would just jam in adjectives and adverbs everywhere. His desire to emblazon a single image into the minds of his readers limits his ability to create anything truly striking.

His helmet has to be symbolic, the head stolid, the fire gorging. It's too much, I don't need to know that the flame is orange, I've seen fire before. He's like a drunk hyperfixating on specific details that are very important in their own mind while you sit in boredom waiting for their rambling to reach a point.

I think I agree with most of this, especially in his later years his writing has a real Abe Simpson lip-flappin' forgot-my-dentures quality. I had to put down one of his collections after suffering through a really dumb story about an old guy who time travels back to the 50s after getting divorced from his nagging shrew wife and has sex with a hot girl unspoiled by the ravages of modern society. Ironically, the best versions of his stories are the ones adapted for TV.