Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

Amberlyn posted:

OK, so do mockingbirds become a bonded pair after they mate?

I'm used to getting dive-bombed when I exit the car to come inside. I try and make it quick so I don't disturb mama or the babies. I thought there was only the mama bird making a fuss, but I had to be back and forth from my car this morning (where I park is right in front of the tree the nest is in) and today, when I was going back and forth unloading stuff, I realized that there was not one, but two birds raising hell.

They'd alternate flapping their wings at me and getting in the nest. They looked the same and I wouldn't have known it was two except I was getting flapped at by one while I was watching the other one actually in the nest. At one point they were both flying around diving at me and squawking.

Is this normal?

Yup. Mockingbirds are scrappy, and have no fear. They regularly chase crowns and ravens away in our neighborhood. And I mean like, chase them for blocks and blocks. They do mate for life, too.
I love 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread