Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
all Razer laptops are centered and made out metal but also cost as much as a Mac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this'un looks like close to what im lookin for.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BV8H8HVD/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

poo poo ram but i can throw some more in

wonder if i can wipe the drive and put win10 on. might work? idfk

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

oh sorry lol. yes i want to play video games on it. i have 9000 other machines for browsing or w/e

this machine will only be used for games, yeah. ill look into this one

best buy has the alienware on sale, but it's still like $900 more than the asus you linked, lol
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienw...p?skuId=6543536

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Perplx posted:

all Razer laptops are centered and made out metal but also cost as much as a Mac

i've heard a lot of horror stories about their customer support and the durability of their computers. they're clearly going for the apple design aesthetic, but seemingly don't have the chops to pull it off or the confidence to stand behind the products

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

oh sorry lol. yes i want to play video games on it. i have 9000 other machines for browsing or w/e

this machine will only be used for games, yeah. ill look into this one

get a steam deck OP

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think this is mostly generally true now, but at least for games: it is worth no money or effort avoiding windows 11.

it's dumb but w/e, it'd have to be principle to bother, and i think in 2024 we all have so many more important principles in line to put effort into.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

spankmeister posted:

get a steam deck OP

trash

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the framework 16 has an RX 7700S if that’s fast enough

edit: ships Q2 lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no amd

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i too worry that tori will come a'jizzin

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

amd cpu:

amd gpu:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i have a dell precision 7560 and it plays games better than my expensive rear end desktop. it does have a numpad, though.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gaming laptop lmao

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
when mcdonalds is out of extra hot coffee, there's always gaming laptops

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

my laptop is also not a gaming laptop, but built for heavy data crunching and has a great video card so it's great for gaming. it also just looks like i have a dell and not a gaudy gaming laptop.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
trying to trouble shoot my partners laptop network issues

it seems to work for a few seconds when I connect to a wifi network here at home. I can ping google but get like one ping and then it times out. when I switch to a different network here in the house I get the same thing, works for a moment

the two networks - one is the asus router directly and one is an ubiquity AP connected to that router

the network appears to work fine on my laptop

and if I connect her laptop to her phone then that works too

so it seems to specifically it’s her laptop with the wifi networks here

it’s just weird that it works for a moment

also if it matters ms defender is running hard. although my experience is that that is most of the time just a routine check happening at the total
wrong time

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

echinopsis posted:

trying to trouble shoot my partners laptop network issues

it seems to work for a few seconds when I connect to a wifi network here at home. I can ping google but get like one ping and then it times out. when I switch to a different network here in the house I get the same thing, works for a moment

the two networks - one is the asus router directly and one is an ubiquity AP connected to that router

the network appears to work fine on my laptop

and if I connect her laptop to her phone then that works too

so it seems to specifically it’s her laptop with the wifi networks here

it’s just weird that it works for a moment

also if it matters ms defender is running hard. although my experience is that that is most of the time just a routine check happening at the total
wrong time

assuming it's running windows, have you checked the network properties to make sure it's not set as a metered connection? same for on the router just before the modem to make sure it doesn't have a limitation placed on it for some reason?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i think this is mostly generally true now, but at least for games: it is worth no money or effort avoiding windows 11.

it's dumb but w/e, it'd have to be principle to bother, and i think in 2024 we all have so many more important principles in line to put effort into.

Also w11 is completely fine

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

no, it's a pos, and a bit beyond the base level required by the subforum.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

actually it sucks, op. sorry

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

and it'll be your only option 18 months from now so make your peace with it

also maybe hope it becomes less of a pos between now and then

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

Glad to hear they finally added a non centered taskbar option. thanks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

flakeloaf posted:

and it'll be your only option 18 months from now so make your peace with it

also maybe hope it becomes less of a pos between now and then

is windows 10 going to burn my house down then or something

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Branch Nvidian posted:

assuming it's running windows, have you checked the network properties to make sure it's not set as a metered connection? same for on the router just before the modem to make sure it doesn't have a limitation placed on it for some reason?

I’ll double check that setting, didn’t think it was but tbh didn’t pay that much attention

she just did get an email from IT that mentions something about connectivity issues.. but she’s not at work..?

idk how corporate windows poo poo works but is it possible that network issues at her work could affect her at home? the issue isn’t just connecting to work stuff but anything at all

(and if so why does it work if she hotspots?)

very hosed up

Sagebrush posted:

it’s fine in the sense that you’ve come home from work tired, cold, hungry, and you’re under the impression there’s a roast chicken and potatoes and gravy etc

but when you get home your partner says she couldn’t be bothered and would you be ok with toast

”fine”

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

I’ll double check that setting, didn’t think it was but tbh didn’t pay that much attention

she just did get an email from IT that mentions something about connectivity issues.. but she’s not at work..?

idk how corporate windows poo poo works but is it possible that network issues at her work could affect her at home? the issue isn’t just connecting to work stuff but anything at all

get her a gaming laptop lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mr. Nice! posted:

my laptop is also not a gaming laptop, but built for heavy data crunching and has a great video card so it's great for gaming. it also just looks like i have a dell and not a gaudy gaming laptop.

Yeah that's fine. It's not like i need LEDs or whatever. just need a good gpu

e: lol they want four thousand five hundred earth dollars for the one with the maxed video. no thank u

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 19, 2024

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the solution was right in front of me the whole time !

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

is windows 10 going to burn my house down then or something

nah it just won't get patches after that point

so technically it'll be some lovely plugin vendor who burns your house down

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im not clicking on wallet_inspector.exe on my poo poo anyways i don't give a gently caress about patches

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

im not clicking on wallet_inspector.exe on my poo poo anyways i don't give a gently caress about patches

this

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

echinopsis posted:

oh it's a work laptop. does it have a some kind of cellular network connection thing on it? like a slot for a SIM or an eSIM that it uses to connect when not at the office or something? the laptops we have at my work have software that connects to a hidden municipal network so using wifi isn't needed. if she has something like that it could also be causing conflicts.

this is what we have: https://www.absolute.com/#nm-banner

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jonny 290 posted:

e: lol they want four thousand five hundred earth dollars for the one with the maxed video. no thank u

i will note i did not pay for my laptop and yeah they're pricey.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

you could buy an apple vision pro and a 13" macbook air for that :eyepop:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Glad to hear they finally added a non centered taskbar option. thanks

yes, there is, with one executable that you run from github. you're welcome

echinopsis posted:

it’s fine in the sense that you’ve come home from work tired, cold, hungry, and you’re under the impression there’s a roast chicken and potatoes and gravy etc

but when you get home your partner says she couldn’t be bothered and would you be ok with toast

”fine”

it's literally the same as windows 10 with better ui consistency, with a couple of annoying choices that aren't exposed through settings but which can be reset using the tool i mentioned, and it's not eol'd.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

"when you *have*", not "when you *want*"

but, yeah, nah, windows 11 is basically not *fine*, but a package of small annoyances basically indistinguishable from 10 within a few moments. unforced errors, which is so deeply dumb, but at least small.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

it's literally the same as windows 10 with better ui consistency, with a couple of annoying choices that aren't exposed through settings but which can be reset using the tool i mentioned, and it's not eol'd.

im mostly joking

but you can move the taskbar to the left with no tool? I did it at work. still on the bottom

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

echinopsis posted:

im mostly joking

but you can move the taskbar to the left with no tool? I did it at work. still on the bottom

only thing you can do is left-justify the taskbar icons, you can't move the taskbar's location itself away from the bottom without resorting to a third-party tool

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

sounds terrible. i'll stick with windows 10

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
turns out somehow partners network was affected by network issues at work

gateway kinda poo poo. who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah the last 8+ cve that didn't need user interaction wasn't that recent anyway