Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Hotel Kpro posted:

Everyone has a price

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43v9SaeQif4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I didn’t want to return to office but as a contractor I can put a price tag on it. I told my last client who wanted me on site once a week that they’d get a 15% discount on my hourly rate if I could do the job full remote.

I already knew they really wanted someone onsite so I just gave them my regular rate+15% as the standard rate. Hoping that they’d take the “discount”. Money unfortunately was not an issue so I’m back to commuting. Luckily they’re not too strict so I go every other week, and can get in around 10 and leave before rush hour.

Still going to put a higher price tag on the commute next gig.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

FISHMANPET posted:

For example, the sales team schedules more calls/demos on their WFH days because it's easier to do at home with less office noise around you.

This seems like an oversight, ideally you want sales to be able to do the demos whenever the customer is available, if you don't have spaces they can use with professional VC equipment to the extent that them joining from home is more effective then that feels like it should be addressed.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We do have call rooms setup, and I've seen them get used quite a bit, so it's not like they're turning down sales calls so they can take them at home. But if you've got a bunch of calls scheduled and you're just going to spend the day locked away in a call room, you lose a lot of the benefits of being in the office, so they try and schedule those heavy calls days when they're at home vs the office.

Also our office WiFi is not always great, and we're mostly at the mercy of the landlord for that. We do have Ethernet at everyone's desks, and the call rooms have Ethernet as well, but lots of people just don't use it as much as they should so it all becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Ah the joys of a successful but non-VC-funded tech company that's growing.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I go into the office 3 days a week 3 weeks a month. It's not bad, and it's not enforced so if I don't feel like it or it's cold or snowing or whatever I just don't go in.

I have a 15 minute drive, and I just bought an e-bike with my Healthcare Plan. The ride in is probably going to be about 5 minutes longer, maybe the same depending on traffic, and it's through a park and a wooded area. No complaints here, although the days I bring the dog into the office might get weird with the bike.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get a dog trailer

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I like being in the office because I concentrate better and hammer out work when I'm not in the same place as the people I like and all my cool stuff. I also have a side entrance to the building that no one else uses and an office with a door that locks 5 feet from the entrance, so that helps.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I recall we talked about this some a while back, but I still don't really understand the parameters that I ought to care about for this. Any recommendations for a wireless headset for WFH? I want to be able to walk around while on calls, and have my audio quality not be horrible (compared to the laptop speaker and mic, which is what I'm doing now), but less expensive is better.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bluetooth but with a dongle, and a charging base for convenience.

Poly part 77Y97AA has been good for me

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Recently, I had an interview cancelled because the previous candidates that the org interviewed were totally wrong for the job so the org got mad at the recruiting company and cancelled the open position.
The job I was supposed to interview for is basically my current job just at a different company. :dumbgun:

Working in IT: Hope you got recruited by the right 3rd party recruiter.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

tadashi posted:

Recently, I had an interview cancelled because the previous candidates that the org interviewed were totally wrong for the job so the org got mad at the recruiting company and cancelled the open position.
The job I was supposed to interview for is basically my current job just at a different company. :dumbgun:

Working in IT: Hope you got recruited by the right 3rd party recruiter.

The two most likely explanations:

1. The recruiter has a history of just throwing recruits at a position, regardless of fit. This probably means dishonesty to both the employer and potential employees. In other words, while they may have pitched the job to you as a perfect match, that may not line up with what the employer expects. Bullet dodged.

2. The hiring manager is a hothead perfectionist who's happy to blow up a relationship for the smallest imperfection. In other words, someone you probably don't want to work for. Bullet dodged.

Bonus option #3: The manager has a buddy they want to get in to replace the existing recruiter, and they're making up something to make it happen faster. Not much you can do about that :shrug:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Ah, let me know how the Netskope rollout goes. I almost rolled it out at my last place before I left.
My sample size is small, but I have yet to see a successful Netskope rollout that hasn't been rolled back and abandoned after the fact

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Hello thread! I am wracking my brain trying to remember the name of a tool I had some indirect exposure to while on contract a few years ago and my google fu is way weak. Excuse my ignorance while I try to explain this, as this is not my area of expertise.

It was a server-based tool where you loaded code into it and the server would build out the HTML / front-end with the end result providing a servable web app version of your script or program. When it was demonstrated to me the FTE used Python. I vaguely recall it was parsing the .py file and you were able to link user-facing objects like drop-down menus to snippets of your code. They had several in production (intranet) web applications that were IT tools built off this.

I am pretty sure it was an open-source tool. It's not much to go off of and my recollection is fuzzy at best, sorry. If anyone has any idea what the hell I am talking about please let me know, if only to confirm that it wasn't all a fever dream or a blip in the matrix.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we rolled out netskope last fall, and while it seemed fine during the pilot as soon as they turned it on for the whole org it started having capacity problems

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

kung fu jive posted:

Hello thread! I am wracking my brain trying to remember the name of a tool I had some indirect exposure to while on contract a few years ago and my google fu is way weak. Excuse my ignorance while I try to explain this, as this is not my area of expertise.

It was a server-based tool where you loaded code into it and the server would build out the HTML / front-end with the end result providing a servable web app version of your script or program. When it was demonstrated to me the FTE used Python. I vaguely recall it was parsing the .py file and you were able to link user-facing objects like drop-down menus to snippets of your code. They had several in production (intranet) web applications that were IT tools built off this.

I am pretty sure it was an open-source tool. It's not much to go off of and my recollection is fuzzy at best, sorry. If anyone has any idea what the hell I am talking about please let me know, if only to confirm that it wasn't all a fever dream or a blip in the matrix.

one of a million static site generators maybe?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Vulture Culture posted:

My sample size is small, but I have yet to see a successful Netskope rollout that hasn't been rolled back and abandoned after the fact
I mean.... the parent company is using it with ~25,000 employees. But they only care about compliance. It's going to be a much more difficult thing for my dev-focused company. Wouldn't be surprised if this pisses more people off enough to just leave.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

kung fu jive posted:

I do not use this at all and don't know if it does what you're asking, but possibly you are thinking of Flask?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

guppy posted:

I do not use this at all and don't know if it does what you're asking, but possibly you are thinking of Flask?

oh, or django

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

guppy posted:

The Fool posted:

oh, or django

This is helpful and sending me down some search engine paths with my research. I want to believe these technologies were involved, but there was more automation at work.

It was as if you loaded your python script onto the self-hosted server and it automated adding the flask / django bits in there. To be honest, for my use case I should just learn flask. But drat, I wish I was paying more attention back then...

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009

kung fu jive posted:

This is helpful and sending me down some search engine paths with my research. I want to believe these technologies were involved, but there was more automation at work.

It was as if you loaded your python script onto the self-hosted server and it automated adding the flask / django bits in there. To be honest, for my use case I should just learn flask. But drat, I wish I was paying more attention back then...

Jupyter notebooks? I've not used them but they sound similar to what you're describing

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

kung fu jive posted:

We have power automate desktop VMs doing UI automation on our shittier programs that can’t integrate with. It can do what you’re talking about, but lots of things can.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

kung fu jive posted:

You’re not talking about something like Netlify, right ?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

teethgrinder posted:

I mean.... the parent company is using it with ~25,000 employees. But they only care about compliance. It's going to be a much more difficult thing for my dev-focused company. Wouldn't be surprised if this pisses more people off enough to just leave.
This is generally my sense: it's probably fine for non-technical employees working with a predefined set of tools and services. Engineers are a whole other ball game, especially in the genAI era where each of your vendors is just as likely to accidentally expose your data as your own employees are.

If I could have my dream rollout of a tool like this, I'd basically take a chaos engineering approach: canary and sample traffic at random to find badly-behaved things in the environment, and stay out of the way the rest of the time.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

We're at 20K+ users and its worked mostly well for us. You still have your normal day to day tickets with it for site exclusions, and the occasional troubleshooting issue where its breaks some app, but by and large I've been happy with our rollout.

Honestly the biggest issue has been all the bugs with their Mac clients. Seems to break every other release, but we dont have a huge Apple footprint so it hasnt been that big of a deal for us.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Honestly the biggest issue has been all the bugs with their Mac clients. Seems to break every other release, but we dont have a huge Apple footprint so it hasnt been that big of a deal for us.
Lolmygod this is my hell. 300+ Macs, 10 PCs.

And I don't understand why the MDM rollout is taking so long. It's happening, but no explanation for it taking days to push and needing to be repushed.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

kung fu jive posted:

This probably isn't the answer, but a lot of the Python web frameworks have "admin" modules you can wire up to your existing app which will give you a bit of a GUI to make some CRUD calls, but that requires your app to already be a web app and be written with that framework's bits in mind so it can easily integrate with your app's models and endpoints. I've wired one into a FastAPI app before, using FastAPI admin package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

guppy posted:

I recall we talked about this some a while back, but I still don't really understand the parameters that I ought to care about for this. Any recommendations for a wireless headset for WFH? I want to be able to walk around while on calls, and have my audio quality not be horrible (compared to the laptop speaker and mic, which is what I'm doing now), but less expensive is better.

I picked up a Poly one, I think the Voyager 4310 or similar. It works fine, I can wander most of my house when on a call, and if anything its a little too sensitive, but works well enough.

Its the same as Thank Ants, but I didn't get the charging base. I take it between my in office days and when remote.