Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You should really consider kicking the difficulty above normal. It doesn't affect the random monsters or the main plot events, and only gives the anemic AI factions some boosts to help them survive against the tides of neutrals.

Oh, and the leg bone's connected to the Vengeance Bone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
A dead land is a great find. All those glowing green tiles are +50% mana generation. One interesting feature of dead shards is that the forest tiles appear to just be normal ashy nothing special terrain, but if you build a building on one the forest is cleared and it becomes a +50% mana generation dead land tile. Very nice!

Man that stupid neutral city is too close and blocking the ideal settling spot between those two resources.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Cities of a different race than your capital take a -20% penalty to all resource income, yeah. It's still worth it to use cities of races that excel in a specific resource production (monsters:food, humans:gold, undead:mana, elves:research) if you can get them with some good relevant resources nearby. The bigger problem with non-starting race cities is the penalty they take to city growth, though you can offset that with a growth spell, which you can research pretty easily if you aim for it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Neruz posted:

Oh really? Huh never noticed the resource penalty, only the growth one. Wellp :v:

It's not really noticeable, since it's factored in at the same time as the resource multiplier buildings, instead of afterwards. By the time your city has +200% resource production in income multiplier buildings, you aren't going to notice much if it's only +180%.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
No, you can turn a city into a free city on the first turn you build it, or 10 turns after you capture it, but free cities grow slower than normal ones and each free city only provides 2+population gold per turn. Free gold, yes, but not strong. What would help more is trying to raise his city limit, or turning some of his low producers into free cities just to get them out of his bureaucratic overload. Free cities can never compete with cities like Silver Silks, which have the potential to be just a disgustingly strong economic powerhouse. Each of those spider hatches can produce 10 gold per turn, and the silver mine an additional 6. Once you start multiplying that with banks and harbors, it's bonkers. Until we can find some more quality gold city spots, the fastest short-term way to earn money in this game is the pillage economy, and now that he has teleportation it's easier than ever to foolishly overextend shoot heroes and elite troops forward to burn monster lairs and cash in.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Sadly you can't change the elevation on city tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The rainbow dragon is a weird sort of summon. Their pure melee damage makes them less useful the longer the game goes on, as you encounter more enemies resistant to/immune to the common damage types, but early in the game they cost so much mana you're unlikely to be able to field more than two or three. On the other hand you're forced to summon at least one to end the Elspirister terraforming attacks, which is a strong incentive to get one on the field as soon as possible, when they're still useful. My required one usually ends up pretty high level from pushing over mid-level monster lairs, but if it dies later in the game I don't usually bother summoning another one.

• Locked thread