Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Psykmoe posted:

Perhaps the Svarts consider Honorable Warriors old fashioned compared to some of the units they have later in the tree and from temples? :v:

As we will see in time the Svarts can do things with robotics and jet propulsion that would look out of place in the modern world, by their standards hitting people with sharp bits of metal is positively ancient.

e: Also to round out JcDent's description of the Svarts; their thing is as he noted being utterly indestructible (Svart units are the toughest in the game) and also Rune Magic. In practice Rune Magic means that almost all their dudes get some kind of magical spell in their upgraded form which provides a short term buff of some sort.

Svart units are basically walking tanks that will gently caress your poo poo up if you get into range and thanks to the tech they employ 'into range' is a surprisingly large area.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

kvx687 posted:

Not necessarily a problem. I don't know if it was in the original, but in this game if you raze a city it turns into a settler of the same race.

Not always, I have no clue what decides if a razed city becomes a settler or not but sometimes you raze a city and don't get a settler out of the deal.

The Svarts also don't benefit as much as most of the other races from having multiple cities of different races; Svarts need Food and Gold, both in huge quantities and Svart cities are also the best at making both Food and Gold (Humans are better at pure gold and Monsters are better at pure food) so you usually don't want to use non-Svart cities if you can help it.

In a real game given the huge amounts of +mana terrain JcDent is rolling around in I would suggest switching to primarily Undead cities by capping that neutral one and starting again from there, but Svarts so gently caress that.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

wiegieman posted:

I am looking forward to how you will overcome the soul-crushing grind that is the endgame. Godspeed, man.

Svart units pretty rapidly become unkillable bulwarks, especially with the new Support mechanic (ranged units with Support will add their attack to adjacent melee units attacks when those melee units either attack an enemy or are attacked by an enemy) so the endgame grind is slow but fairly easy with them.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Arglebargle III posted:

Care to cover new terrain tiles? I don't think I saw that one northeast of Uglin in the first game.

That's a Land of Life, Living Plains I think judging by how it looks. I think they were in Warlock but rarer due to not appearing naturally in Arkania. They give +50% to food and heal living units for 4 hp while damaging undead units for 2 hp.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Arglebargle III posted:

I take it Planestriders can't exploit a dead plane any more effectively than Svarts?

Isn't there a penalty to other-race resource collection anyway?

No penalties, Planestriders are pretty good at generating Mana so dead plains are okay for them. You can even start as a citiless dragon if you want to.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Mzbundifund posted:

Cities of a different race than your capital take a -20% penalty to all resource income, yeah. It's still worth it to use cities of races that excel in a specific resource production (monsters:food, humans:gold, undead:mana, elves:research) if you can get them with some good relevant resources nearby. The bigger problem with non-starting race cities is the penalty they take to city growth, though you can offset that with a growth spell, which you can research pretty easily if you aim for it.

Oh really? Huh never noticed the resource penalty, only the growth one. Wellp :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah if you're willing to put the time in you can eventually make any shard whatever you like. I think the only thing you can't change is void hexes.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Warlock II has some even crazier heroes; there is at least one hero that is straight up immune to all forms of damage except life and elemental damage, and hes got base 100 elemental resist :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

HiKaizer posted:

When I first tried out the campaign, the first Great Mage I came up against was King Lich actually. It was sort of ironic, because I had just recruited a Shaman hero that did Life damage and well with the majority of his forces being undead you can imagine how the rest of it went...

And then I got a dracolich as a reward from clearing a monster lair.

That's nothing, I got that desert goddess unit, the big cat that whirlwinds at people from a monster lair once. Monster lairs very occasionally contain super powerful awesome megadudes and that is yet another reason why you should raid every one.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
On the bright side the reward you get for defeating him is rather nice.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Tempted to dip into the Múspellsheim names but might be we find a lava shard later. And don't worry about using the names or not, just thought them up as I read the last 2 updates.

There is almost definitely at least one lava shard out there so yeah don't open the Múspellsheimr barrel just yet.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The idea of half-drunk Svarts 'farming' the plants in Lands of Life which are characterised by massive and highly mobile vines crawling across the landscape continues to amuse me.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah while you can ignore Elpiritster for awhile if you ignore him for too long he starts making volcanos happen everywhere.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Tehan posted:

I learned the hard way that if he feeds special resources to the ocean you can't get them back. Even if you pull the land back out of the sea it'll be bare.

Special resources are highly soluble and must be kept away from water at all times.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Huh, I'd have expected you to run into at least one other kind of sealed gate than just the obelisk spell by now.

Rainbow Dragons are pretty nice, no breath attack which is sad but they are absolute tanks and relatively cheap by dragon standards. Get a few levels on them and they start unlocking unique dragon upgrades which are all excellent and a leveled Rainbow Dragon can be an absolute beast.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 29, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Prismatic Dragons were part of the Epic rules for 3.5 and so their 'realness' is debatable. There is no actual lore about them for example, they only exist as a statblock. They are also less rainbow coloured dragons and more light dragons, being surrounded by a shimmering halo of refracted light and breathing a bright cone of multicoloured light that dazes and stuns.

As for Rainbow Dragons, they're more than tough enough to be able to survive well even without access to the humanoid armor upgrades and the fact that they don't eat gigantic amounts of food like almost all other Dragons is great, you can have dozens of Rainbow Dragons flying around being huge assholes but it's next to impossible to get more than a handful of normal dragons up and about because of their gargantuan food costs. Rainbow Dragons aren't as good as normal Dragons but they are cheaper, available earlier and able to be massed in much greater numbers which makes them much more useful from a practical standpoint.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Mzbundifund posted:

The rainbow dragon is a weird sort of summon. Their pure melee damage makes them less useful the longer the game goes on, as you encounter more enemies resistant to/immune to the common damage types, but early in the game they cost so much mana you're unlikely to be able to field more than two or three. On the other hand you're forced to summon at least one to end the Elspirister terraforming attacks, which is a strong incentive to get one on the field as soon as possible, when they're still useful. My required one usually ends up pretty high level from pushing over mid-level monster lairs, but if it dies later in the game I don't usually bother summoning another one.

Shortly after you get the spell, assuming you rush to get the spell asap there is a window in which you can summon a few Rainbow Dragons. If you can babysit them and keep them fighting things they can kill to level them up they'll stay fairly relevant throughout the entire game and lategame ~3 upgraded Rainbow Dragons can make the endgame grind much easier by being super-fast ninja city flatteners.

If you lose one though then yeah there's not a whole lot of reason to summon more. Any you summon after the window will be unable to level up enough to be worth their expense.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

aerion111 posted:

Yup.
At least in the dead world, undead prosper (mana-bonuses AND undead-healing squares? Dead land is to undead what living land is to living things, essentially (especially food-heavy races like monsters))
I think there are no benefits to a lava world, beyond getting to fight something other than giant turtles and normal-sized skeletons.

Reptile units get a bonus on lava (and swamp) terrain, they're still an overall disadvantage but they're at less of a disadvantage on lava terrain than any non-reptiles would be on lava terrain. The main advantage of lava shards is they tend to have lots of very valuable resources to snaffle.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

King Doom posted:

Dunno if it's still the case in warlock 2, but in warlock 1 at least one race could build a +40 gold building on one of the resources that only spawned in volcanic shards/planes/whatever they were called then. I got three in one city once.

As far as I am aware nothing has changed between games, Warlock 2 is more of an expansion pack than an actual sequel. If something was true for the original, it's probably still true for Warlock 2.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Psykmoe posted:

The biggest difference is that you no longer get infinite upgrades out of a single building, so you can't just give regeneration to every runit via power of herbs or, for the megarich, upgrade every unit into a super combatant with silvered weapons and adamantine armor just from 1 special resource hex per upgrade.

Yup, game mechanics got tweaked, some new things were added but afaik nothing was removed. Even Dremagor is actually still in the game files, though totally unused.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
For its price Warlock 2 is a perfectly acceptible game, its just easier to think of it as a standalone xpak rather than an actual new game because it's not really a new game; it's the old game with new stuff.

e: Hooo boy Tormentors, that is going to be a fun shard :stonk:

Neruz fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 2, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
However the Dragon capitol has a ton of unique upgrades and can easily turn into an unstoppable murder-machine with a bit of experience; experience he is going to get because if hes not killing things constantly you're doing it rong.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Hey whatup Amberon!

Amberon is a bro now, in normal canon he tried to fight the United One alongside Krel and Sol de Torvega and suffered defeat. Amberon was captured and the elves fled with the Dragon Queen, then suddenly Amberon shows up months later.
Except its not the Amberon we all remember, he is now gentle and peaceful and kind and loving and not a trace of his former anger and hatred is to be found. Nobody has the faintest clue what happened. We will find out though...

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Torrannor posted:

It's cool that two shards can have portals to the same shard, even if it's a hellhole. Is this a dead end or could there be a third portal in the fog?

Dead-end shards can happen, but every shard is connected to every other shard somehow, there will never be a shard that is cut-off and unable to be accessed. Somewhere there is a portal that is progress.

Said portal may, however, be in the hell world.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The in-game store also has 2 alternate advisor voices for free atm.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Ah yes Exemplars of Strength, because Svarts.

I'm surprised you havn't busted out the flying rocket knights with laser rifles yet JcDent; I usually rush for them because they are so good.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Endless Legend is really interesting if only for the radically different ways each nation plays. For example the merchant guys being completely unable to declare war because they think war is stupid and unprofitable results in really odd style of play.

It took a bit for me to get a hang of the combat system but now that I've worked it out its certainly a fun game.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

JcDent posted:

I first played Endless Legend when it only had zombugs, elves and... whatever else was in back then. Vampire Ghost Knights? I liked it, but the nearer turn 200 it got, the more it devolved into mindless 4X clicking for units to march across half the map and stuff. There really should be a setting in game which forcibly saves and shuts down game one hour in. Space Empire V had the option to replace the date with your clock time, why not have something like that? I sometimes get nauseous when I remember 4 hours streaks of Endless Space... Ahem.

Endless Legend's lategame doesn't really exist right now; the research only goes up to Tier... 5 I think, leaving Tier 6, 7 and 8 totally empty, so yeah after the first ~100 turns or so it starts bogging down really heavily because you just plateau at the midgame.

What is there though is pretty fun, I'm really looking forward to when they finally finish and the whole game is actually there to play (instead of the first half of the game which is what is there now).

Torrannor posted:

Also, nice to fight against Amberon the Dark while being allied with Amberon the Light...

Well at least now we know what happened to Amberon; the United One split him into his good and evil halves, his good half then either somehow escaped or was kicked out while his evil half was employed by the United One as the guardian of the portal from Ainadra to Ardania.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 15, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Suddenly Majesty 2. Well played :golfclap:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah this is basically backstory for the Warlock world; the Majesty games explain how Ardania ended up the way it is at the start of Warlock.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Psykmoe posted:

I dunno, I always liked the Grand Stubborn Master. His attack power starts to fall behind but in my games he always turned basically indestructible in the end, which does have its uses for some armies (although on team Svart, having high starting resists isn't exactly in short supply).

I mean yeah, Lords like Sart and Barfor are amazing but they're also really rare, while getting the GM is reasonably reliable and he brings a stun attack which can really help out. And I like his voice bits :shobon: Elder Ogre is pretty drat nice if you don't have access to Dwarven Overcomers or Old Trolls. At least to me. I don't really like Construct siege units as much. Except flying ghost ships. Those're too cool.

Supreme Vampire is incredible though. Those auras are amazing.

I think you may change that opinion when you see what the Svarts consider to be a 'siege unit'

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
'Walking' huh? Somebody forgot to research the flight enchantment :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Tehan posted:

10 mana a turn ain't cheap, especially for Svart.

I've honestly never had any problems with mana as Svarts; you almost always come across a Dead shard where you can pick up an Undead town and one or two Undead towns on a Dead shard will provide you with all the mana you need even with the penalty.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Alavaria posted:

Resurrection also beings to life the massive steel machine huh...

'Elemental' Resurrection is different from normal Resurrection because it doesn't just return a dead being to life but completely and totally restores a target and all related equipment. Normal Resurrection is like 'catch soul, put soul back in body, heal body', Elemental Resurrection is closer to 'catch soul, rebuild soul's entire form and all related items from the ground up, put soul in new body.'

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Glazius posted:

That's a fancy siegebreaking robot.

Is there an even fancier one waiting in the wings?

The upgraded form is twice the fun.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

LightWarden posted:

Now that the game is over, can anyone tell me who he was referring to?

Upon further investigation I think I got the Spirit of Kings and the Olden Ghost mixed up; the Olden Ghost has the most immunities with immunity to Melee, Missile and Death. I distinctly remember ending up with one that was immune to Spirit as well but maybe that was an item or I was just hallucinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

LightWarden posted:

Olden Ghost also has the "Incorporation" ability to grant Immunity to Death/Missile/Melee to other dudes, and you can pick up Elemental Immunity from Helia (Protection Halo at Rep 50), so you can throw those on the Spirit of Kings and just run around while immune to everything but Life. Then it's just a matter of boosting the rest of your defenses with magic items and spells and such.

That sounds like the unit I was remembering; guess I forgot that I had put all that extra work into him :v:

• Locked thread