Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my darling feet
May 9, 2007
are truly captivating
I have volunteered the past year at my local animal shelter. My shelter is where the now-infamous Kiva was dumped.

I do cat care once a week, and fill in when I can (I took some vacation time recently, so I'm giving back for those who covered for me). We're a non-kill shelter, and most of our animals stay there less than a month. We had some animals that were there about 4 months, who were senior, cranky, unfriendly, and white haired. They were adopted and surprise, they're actually quite friendly when they live with their owner.

We foster out kittens, so they never crowd out our shelter space. They get brought to the shelter on adoption days, T/Th/Saturdays.

We also take in dogs, though we tend to have fewer of them. We have a hoarding case right now, so we've got a bunch of dogs barking and making GBS threads up the place while the courts sort it out.

I got scratched tonight by a new cat. It happens, and I don't blame the cat. I disinfected and bandaged and got back into it.

I also am an assistant editor for the shelter newsletter.

I donate cat food to the shelter when I notice funds are down, and assist with events if possible.

We in cat care work in groups of 4 for 2 hours, cleaning cages, feeding, jotting notes about voiding and eating habits, and if you're trained, administer medication. I like my teammates, for the most part. I work with two women in their late 30s, a girl my age, and a much older woman. I get annoyed when kittens get played with - the older cats need socialization, ffs, play with them. Who was it that said kittens can gently caress right off? Yeah.

We don't have a huge laundry pile. The animals get to sleep in their own familiar blanket unless they get some kind of biological spill on it.

I like my little shelter, and being able to help where I can. I couldn't imagine doing this work at a kill shelter. I think my soul would be ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread