Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Namtab posted:

Can't wait for trigger to go crawling back to Gainax
Pretty sure Trigger is making far more money than Gainax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Pretty sure Trigger is making far more money than Gainax

Yeah, but if Gainax wants some more money they'll just fart out a new line of Evangelion merchandise. I bet the real hardcore nerdlings would just throw their yen at a nosehair trimmer with Asuka plastered all over it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would buy a nose hair trimmer with Asuka on it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i'm waiting on misato branded beer

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I forget where it was posted, but Evangelion-endorsed Gilette shaving products were totally a thing at some point.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh yeah that's a good one

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Oh yeah that's a good one

Ok, using Eva to sell razors sounds stupid, but I completely changed my mind after seeing that pic. Good thing I already use that brand.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

pnumoman posted:

Ok, using Eva to sell razors sounds stupid, but I completely changed my mind after seeing that pic. Good thing I already use that brand.

Reizors.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I enjoyed the OVA. It was a fluffy little epilogue, but I enjoyed it. They needed to fight something, otherwise it's not really Kill la Kill, but the general gist of things was fun. Was a decent send off for the show. I think I'll kinda miss it now.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Slime posted:

Yeah, but if Gainax wants some more money they'll just fart out a new line of Evangelion merchandise. I bet the real hardcore nerdlings would just throw their yen at a nosehair trimmer with Asuka plastered all over it.

pretty sure they dont actually own any of the evangelion IP rights since they are getting nothing from rebuild

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

pretty sure they dont actually own any of the evangelion IP rights since they are getting nothing from rebuild

iirc Studio Khara has the right to make the rebuild movies and to continue producing new work sporting the Evangelion name but Gainax still gets loads of money from them and has control over merchandising.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So where can I watch this thing

Edit: Also do they bring back (spoiler tags I guess) Senketsu

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

alcharagia posted:

It turns out that the real Senketsu, was within you all along!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

alcharagia posted:

You're gonna have to either torrent it or buy some stupidly overpriced blu-rays in 6-12 months.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I was just happy to see the kamui-school finally activating, because that was the biggest bit of speculation in this thread that didn't end up happening and it made me sad. Also the Blade Regalia being back but that's because I'm a total, unapologetic fanboy for that design.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Sakurazuka posted:

You're gonna have to either torrent it or buy some stupidly overpriced blu-rays in 6-12 months.

gdi

I'm rewatching the show with my b/f who hasn't seen it before. At least we're pretty far from the molestomom parts still. Not sure how he's gonna take it.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I felt about the same way ending the show as I did when I watched the first episode it last year: confused on how I should feel really. In the end, I'm glad Kill la Kill was around though because it left a lot of fun memories. Especially Mako ones.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ok yeah I am really glad I didn't convince my wife to watch this one with me

I was uncomfortable at the fact that the suit basically rapes her and forces itself on her naked body while she resists but for a couple of eps they seem to had gotten over that part of it and her and the suit are best bros and the suit tells a guy it'll beat him up for threatening her so it was alright. I guess they go from allegory straight to onscreen literal depictions of it by a family member thx anime in the year 2014

Man I would keep going but I think discussions about this are why you can't talk about this show in ADTRW

Honestly I think at some point Kill la Kill was envisioned as a good faith attempt to make a commentary on the sexualization of characters in anime, subvert the tropes of the magical girl and shonen genres similarly to Madoka, and make a spectacle of its own ludicrous nature. Like my assumption initially was that the Ryuko panty shot that happened pretty much once every episode for no reason was supposed to be a running gag about fanservice. But once the show presents sex in bunch of disparate ways and starts amping it up progressively it's hard not to see it as pandering. I think the show is fundamentally flawed but still enjoyed the OVA, the good anime yelling, big tits, and special attacks.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Honestly I think at some point Kill la Kill was envisioned as a good faith attempt to make a commentary on the sexualization of characters in anime, subvert the tropes of the magical girl and shonen genres similarly to Madoka, and make a spectacle of its own ludicrous nature. Like my assumption initially was that the Ryuko panty shot that happened pretty much once every episode for no reason was supposed to be a running gag about fanservice. But once the show presents sex in bunch of disparate ways and starts amping it up progressively it's hard not to see it as pandering. I think the show is fundamentally flawed but still enjoyed the OVA, the good anime yelling, big tits, and special attacks.

No, I'm pretty sure they were trying to have their cake and eat it too the whole time. So like everything else, they were just eating cake.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
pretty sure trigger just realizes that boobs and butts are cool, even animated ones

e: oh yeah, and pecs. manly pecs are also cool.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 19, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

darealkooky posted:

pretty sure trigger just realizes that boobs and butts are cool, even animated ones

if there's any sort of message in klk it's about being able to wear whatever you want without being judged for it, which is basically the exact opposite moral from "Cartoon Cheesecake is Bad"

Yeah, these guys did plenty of overt sexualization while at Gainax, it was just in better animes. Look at Panty and Stocking.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

AnacondaHL posted:

No, I'm pretty sure they were trying to have their cake and eat it too the whole time. So like everything else, they were just eating cake.
Well cake is usually good unless the icing is bland and there is fruit in it, then its terrible.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Or if the icing is cum, and instead of a cake, it's some dude jerking off in your face. I don't know now this relates to Kill la Kill, I'm just talking about cake.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Was I the only one who were not bothered by all this nakedness, heck it didn't even felt like fanservice (except for a certain couple of parts). People just get naked left and right, men and women and none of them are in focus for more than a few seconds. Heck, this is an anime where people beat each other down by destroying their clothing, yet there's no scene where girls go "Kyaaa" hiding their bodies while their clothes and only their clothes are torn to pieces.
I get more annoyed with fanservice with other shows where people are usually fully clothed, but not with this (again, except those certain scenes).

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Bholder posted:

Was I the only one who were not bothered by all this nakedness, heck it didn't even felt like fanservice (except for a certain couple of parts). People just get naked left and right, men and women and none of them are in focus for more than a few seconds. Heck, this is an anime where people beat each other down by destroying their clothing, yet there's no scene where girls go "Kyaaa" hiding their bodies while their clothes and only their clothes are torn to pieces.
I get more annoyed with fanservice with other shows where people are usually fully clothed, but not with this (again, except those certain scenes).

For me, the problem was Ragyo because holy poo poo she's the creepiest.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah but her scenes were aggressively unsettling. Nothing about the tone of those scenes belittled the action, it was just hosed up. There's a difference between sexuality and pandering sexuality, as noted above.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I fast forwarded through those scenes.

Oh and I forgot about the OVA until weeks later but it was ok.

I thought senketsu would return in ~spirit~ or something but Ryouko left the scissors back there.

OT:Anyone know why the two sisters split up though? I almost expected them to turn into a team and conquer the world together. I mean, I'm sure they'd have a lot of stuff to talk about too :unsmith:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

That is what I meant by exception, yes.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Did they really have to include three or four different creepy Ragyo scenes? Ugh

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
what's the ballpark average for posters who say the sex scenes were upsetting to them who actually got hella turned on because i'm guessing roughly 100%

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

ive had my share of fanasies of taking a bath with the rainbow haired lady while that german chanting song is playing

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

oh poo poo, you too?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

what happened ot the guy that was in the other thread that was always trying to say this show was like an allegory of WW2 or nazi germany or something? does he still post? he was my favorite

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He died when the old thread did

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

He was loving cool, he wrote like 2000 words about how setsuki was hitler and how much he wanted to kiss her on the mouth

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I loved it! Looking forward to Trigger's next project!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I loved it! Looking forward to Trigger's next project!
Ninja Slayer does sound interesting and could be fun

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

darealkooky posted:

e: oh yeah, and pecs. manly pecs are also cool.

They're absolutely right.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Bholder posted:

Yeah, I wasn't a total fan of the fanservice, but this is also the show that had the stripper professor with the glowing butthole. If anything its at least equal opportunity with its shamelessness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

And if you watched Kill la Kill past the first episode, surely you aren't offended by fanservice enough to care.

• Locked thread