Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'd heard good things about the manga but I never read it. Watched the first episode and loved it. Aya Hirano really nails Right Hand's voice.

I wonder if it'll be explained where the parasites come from. "Aliens" might be the most likely explaination at this point, but considering (episode one spoilers) the final part: "Someone on Earth had a thought - life must be protected" I wouldn't be surprised if they were some sort of genetically engineered thing that escaped from a lab or, maybe, was set free on purpose.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if I want it to be explained. It would be interesting if the whole thing was never explained, and it was left for the reader or viewer to wonder about.

By the way, I'm seconding OP's request to tag and label all manga spoilers, since this looks really interesting and I'm going in blind, without knowing anything except for the main premise, so I'd like to avoid knowing anything in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Episode two was great. I wonder whether Migi is really just a purely logical creature as he says, or if he's growing attached to Shinichi. The dialogue after the fight could be interpreted as a "it's not like I did it for you" tsundereism. (I hate myself for typing that last sentence, but that's what several years of anime do to you :v:)

Next episode preview looks like it will be a classic "do I save my friends and risk revealing my secret" kind of situation. If I'm right it'll be interesting to see how this show approaches that classic trope.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Potsticker posted:

I would say Migi grew attached to him, yes.

Would you believe me if I told you that was entirely unintentional? :v:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Oh, so Parasyte's where the (ep 3 spoilers) chair leg manga panel I've seen around is from. Good to know.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I'm really enjoying this show so far, I'd heard good things about the manga but never read it and now I understand why.

I'm assuming (episode 4 spoilers plus speculation) Tamiya not fighting Shinichi behind the school is because he's being "changed" somehow, either physically or mentally, by Migi being attached to him, and she wants to see how things progress. Which, again, goes to show how parasites aren't purely logical creatures, despite them saying the opposite. It would be more logical for Tamiya to kill Shinichi there and then, before he (maybe) "evolves" into someone (or something) that can fight her off, but she's curious about this development.

Also this episode, along with the one with the parasite that cut off his own arm (episode two I think), makes it pretty clear that parasites can "join up" with each other in a single body, and it would be a waste of a plot point if it doesn't come into play somewhere down the line.

Though I wonder how that would work. How would they make decisions? By consensus, or it's like "And I'll form the head!" and that one parasites rules over the others?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Did not expect another non-brain parasite, to be honest. But in hindsight, with that many parasites around, it would have been unlikely that Migi was the only one who "screwed up".

Mamoru and Parasite are cool dudes. I like 'em both.

The ending of this episode feels like the ending of an arc, and I think I would have been satisfied had it been the actual ending of the show, there's enough closure. I hope from here on out it keeps the same quality.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Me, halfway through the episode: "Kana's behaving like a huge chuuni, and it's going to get her killed one of this days."

Me, at the end of the episode: "Welp, that was quicker than I thought it would be."

e. Also I have to say that Shinichi handled this the dumbest way possible. Instead of waiting for Migi to fall asleep and telling the whole deal to Kana in private he should have told Kana while Migi was awake, but in public, like in a cafe or something like that. That way when Kana demanded proof he could have just stabbed Migi or something, and in that situation Migi could not have caused a scene or they would have been in big trouble.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 25, 2014

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

this show killed Miyuki Sawashiro and for that i can not forgive them

Good riddance. Sawashiro has an instantly recognisable voice, and I honestly find it very distracting every time she shows up in an anime.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Sophism posted:

And her voice is gorgeous, and not another one of the dime-a-dozen Kana Hanazawa sound-alikes. She doesn't have a huge range, but she never hams it up, even when the script is loving awful. (Looking at you Gun Gale Online.)

Oh I agree, it's just that it's super distracting when she shows up because I tend to focus on her voice rather than anything else :shobon:

(The same goes for other voice actors that suffer from Samevoice Syndrome, though. It's not just Sawashiro.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

On the other hand, if she keeps hanging around Shinichi she'll probably get axed for real.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Make sure you watch the credits until the end rather than skipping right to the next episode preview!

Shinichi is back :unsmith:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Me, last episode: "So how are they going to distinguish between humans and parasites when the x-ray machine is inevitably destroyed?"
Me, this episode: "Oh, they AREN'T going to distinguish. That works too, I guess :v:"

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I don't get why the police let Shinichi go :v:

They've tested him via the hair-plucking method, but now they know parasites can also take over other body parts thanks to Gotou. And they have a handy method of distinguishing human parts from parasites thanks to the magic of x-rays.

Also, Shinichi had a conversation with the dude who slaughtered an entire SWAT team in front of several police officers. It was pretty one-sided ("Oh, you again. Welp, gonna kill you when there's less people around I guess, cya shitlords!") but it's clear they know each other.

Why are they just letting him go free?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Him passing the hair test indicates that there's a human brain, which is really all they care about.

Counterpoint: Hirokawa. After he was revealed to have been human, everyone even remotely associated with parasites, human brain or not, should be suspected.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Not a counterpoint, because all that means is that some crazy fanatic human decided to side with the parasytes out of his own personal bias. The organization believes that parasytes always target the head, and while Gotoh proved that parasytes could also replace other body parts, there's still no evidence to suggest that it can happen in the case of the body still having a human brain.

I didn't get my point across very well, sorry. I meant that at this point it shouldn't matter whether Shinichi's a parasite or not since they found out that Hirokawa, a human, was willing to help parasites. They can no longer dismiss things like Shinichi being heavily involved with parasites (first his mom and then Tamura, and clearly having met Gotou before), by saying "Yeah but he's human, so he's on our side".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Nope, it will be a comedy about Murano and her struggle to lead a normal family life in spite of her husband and children being always swept up in superheroics.

Featuring the police inspector as the guy who doesn't want to admit the police need Shinichi's assistance but is forced by his superiors to call on him (and who always has to plead and negotiate with Murano because of this).

Also featuring Kana's ghost as the neighbour cougar who has the hots for Shinichi, much to Murano's chagrin.

Guest starring Migi as "uncle Migi", who shows up at random times to save the day whenever Shinichi's in deep trouble, does something inappropriate, then runs off until the next time.

Series title is My Ideal Family Life is Not What I Expected, and episode titles are all variations on "Are... Are you really (person name)?" or "Is... Is this really (thing)?".

Mikl fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 30, 2015

• Locked thread