Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Ugh. I really, really hated that violin scene. I was probably supposed to go, "Wow, she's so artistic and different!" but I was mostly thinking, "Christ, what an insufferable primadonna." I was right there with Angry Classical Judge.

You're playing a duet, lady, with someone who has no idea what you're doing... But more than that, you're doing it at a competition! Completely changing up the song gives the pianist two equally lovely options: a) go along with it and probably screw up, because he needs to improvise a variation on a piece with no idea how the other person is going to change it (and after the sudden change-up has already screwed with his head), or b) keep on playing the original, and look like a stubborn stick-in-the-mud while the dissonance makes both of them seem worse. And this is a competition in a highly-competitive world! There are never enough orchestra seats for all the people who have the talent, much less all the people who want to play! What the gently caress was she thinking?

And then we got to "I don't really care about that" and "what do you think? *hand shakes*" and I had to pause the video again each time. You're risking someone else's dream or ambition to play in a competition (one you don't care about) because you're looking for an ego boost? loving really?

I'll probably keep watching, because I enjoy the rest well enough, but I really hope they don't keep acting like this is a positive thing. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Good episode--just about every part hit the right notes. Good job, writers.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

The best one is the blogger who dropped the anime for bullying Kousei too much, but mentions that the same things happening in the manga didn't bother them.

But yea, this is a show about friends emotionally manipulating someone they care about to do something that makes him uncomfortable because they think it'll pull him out of his depression. It may just be my experience, but a friend to me is someone who knows me well enough to also know exactly what buttons to push to make me angry, so this seems normal to me. It does go a little overboard, what with the blood and extra privacy invasion, but it seems weird to drop the show over that.

There is also the issue that a lot of Kousei's problems stem from his mother's abuse, and these kids are playing with extra delicate stuff here. And yea, if they knew their actions would come off as mean instead of just insensitive. However, there's no evidence that they know about that at all. All they see is a friend who's not letting themselves be happy, and honestly I'd end up doing the same thing in their position. Mostly.

I think the main complaint is that his friends don't know that, but the writer and the show do, and that the writer and the show seem to be presenting it as an unequivocal good thing. It's the framing and the music choices and the general flow of events. It probably is good for him to face his problems, in the long run, but working through trauma and depression is more complicated than "buck up and try harder"... Especially if the show never addresses the fact that Kousei wasn't just pushed by an obsessive parent, he was physically and emotionally abused. At this rate, it might not! And that'd take the show from "kind of tone-deaf" to "seriously problematic."

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

I don't see how this is the case, it's 100% clear that this is what happened.

I really don't know how to communicate this, but the show is presenting something that's clearly abuse but it's not treating it like abuse. For example, Tsubaki has never brought up mysterious injuries or the way he was afraid to do things because his mother wouldn't want him to. It just doesn't seem to matter to the writer.

It's a lot harder to point out things a show is not doing than the things it is, but it's not handling the abuse like abuse. That's why it bothers people, because his friends aren't following a "help the abuse victim" script, they're following a "help the unmotivated slacker" script, and so far, the show is treating that like the proper course of action.

• Locked thread