Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got my first ever Gunpla, an RG Gundam Exia. Haven’t seen the series it’s from, but it's cool!

I told my sister I was considering the hobby when she asked for gift ideas and sent a picture of the RX-78-2 from Target, and mentioned that they require some tools. I wasn’t actually looking for that specific model, just a beginner one. She consulted a friend of hers and got me the Exia and a little tool kit.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m working on my first Gundam, the RG Exia, and I made the exact mistake that this guys here did:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunpla/comments/5f4qgj/accidentally_cut_an_important_little_tab_off/

There’s supposed to be a nub sticking out of the side to hook a little “power cable” onto and then fit a little fastener piece on top.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 8, 2022

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Made a big 'ol fuckup on my first Gunpla, the RG Exia, last week. It's a real bummer, I haven't worked on it since.

The peg on the upper arm was not supposed to be shaved off as it is on the left. I'm supposed to hook a plastic ribbon over it and then fit a small fastener over it.

Any thoughts on what to do about it? I found a Reddit post of someone who made the same mistake and people talked about making a replacement peg out of a section of the runner. I tried starting that. Getting it small enough to fit through the fastener will take some work. After that, there's the mater of keeping it at the right angle. Once you put the ribbon on, it presses the arm down just a little.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Looks like just gluing the ribbon and the cover on the Exia is the way to go. I think I'll get on that after until after I've finished with all the model's accessories. Looks like I want polystyrene plastic cement, and not the Krazy Glue I currently have in my junk drawer, right?

Anyway, I took some of the calf pieces off so I could sand them down, because the backs kind of looked bad, and put them back on, still looking kind of bad. A few minutes later, I noticed this:

I guess this happened after I put it back on? So that's something I have to deal with now.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
My first dude! Started sometime between Christmas and New Year, took a week off after shearing off the thing that wasn't supposed to be sheared off, completed him Friday night.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So I did a favor for the sister who got me the RG Exia for Christmas, and she surprised me today with an HG Gundam Livelance Heaven as thanks :aaa:

No idea it existed, my familiarity is limited to the ones I saw on Toonami. She just got the one she thought looked cool.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
This happened to my Exia's calves:

One of these cracks appeared early in the process. I noticed it after I took one of the pieces off to try to make some of the nub marks look less bad. The other cracks happened soon after I finished. I thought the parts underneath were fitting together fine. Anyone have any insight into it?

Also are there any recommendations for fixing it? I have some plastic cement that I bought to attach the shoulder piece that everyone accidentally shaves the peg off for. Most broken part tutorials aren't quite this scenario

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve started working on my second dude, the HG Livelance Heaven. There’s a lot of white, so I think I’m going to try panel lining! I’m waiting for the Gundam markers to come in the mail and taking it slow in the meantime. They’re the standard Creos black, grey, and brown fine point ones. Any recommendations on what to do/avoid?

The joints and inner bits are made of softer gold plastic, and they seem pretty sensitive to color warping when taking the nubs off. Luckily they’re all hidden, but I still want to do a good job with them. Should I just become less squeamish about shaving a whole side down a bit? Should I approach them differently with those whorls of color they have?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
First go at panel lining:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Finished my second dude, the HG Livelance Heaven. It's my first go at panel lining!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
While idly wondering about what model I want to get for my third dude, I thought of getting the HG Deathscythe that's the inversion of my second dude, the Livelance Heaven. Make 'em do pose where they have their staffs crossed or something. However, Livelance Heaven is the inversion of Deathlance Hell but there only seems to be a regular Deathscythe of the same grade released recently. And then, wouldn't I have to get the other four Gundam Wing dudes? And the Breaker Battlogue dudes to balance it out? I haven't even seen Battlogue. This is how the hobby gets you, isn't it?

Both the guys I have (the RG Exia being my first) are from series I've never seen, being gifts, so I don't really know what I want to do next when I have the time. I've only seen the Gundam stuff that was on Toonami, and there's not a series that I'm super invested in. The model that actually got me thinking about getting into this hobby was the RG Eva-01, which is kind of ironic, because I don't know if I can say I'm invested in that either, as I haven't seen half of Evangelion or any of the movies.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve been thinking about what I might want to do next, and the thought crossed my mind that having the OG Gundam and Char’s Zaku would be neat. So now I’m back from Target with the HG RX-78-2 Gundam and Char’s Zaku in tow.

I hope you fuckers are happy.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Thinking about getting really invested in Gaogaigar for some reason.

Anyway, when I do panel lining Char’s Zaku, should I use black, grey, or brown on all those red parts?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
My third and fourth dudes:

Just noticing the nub mark on the RX-78 machine gun handle now. Should be easy enough to fix though.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I finished the RG Eva Unit 01 with Transport Platform set last night. Overall it’s a very good, detailed kit, and I’m constantly surprised at the level of detail they’re able to include. One of the coolest parts is how they did the eyes and horn; they molded multiple colors into one piece, and it’s the first advanced kit I’ve made that features eyes as a part instead of a decal (the entry grade RX-78-2 and SD/CS Char’s Zaku II don’t really count). The only downsides to the Eva itself is one of the chest plates is quick to fall off, and the green tip of one of its armguards also falls off easily. The Transport Platform is a cool idea in theory, but it was somehow more finicky to pose the Eva in that than on its own. One side would pop out, I would align it back into its rack, and then the other side would pop out. It probably took a solid 20 minutes to get it into the correct position, and then I installed the umbilical cable, which yanked it out of balance and I had to just forgo the cable (I had similar cable issues with Unit 00, it feels like it’s Just A Thing with these RG Eva kits).

The biggest upside of the kit is the AT field and special hands so you, too, can recreate goatse in plastic.

This is the thing that got me interested in the hobby and is probably the next one I’ll seek out. Where did you get it?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve posted about this before, some of the shin covers on my RG Exia cracked and I have no idea how. This week I did some rearranging of the 4 dudes I have, took one off, and one of them split in half. I cemented them back together.

Also during all this one of the head fins is disappeared. Been over my floor with a flashlight and I can’t find it. Cast a real pall over my weekend. Hopefully it happened after a vacuum sweep someone else did earlier in the week.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

overlordbunny posted:

Hey, what are everyone's favorite online shops?

I just got the RG Eva-01 with the transport platform from Newtype. They fulfilled my order the same weekend, and it got from California to Michigan within a week. So there’s one data point in their favor. The rest of my models have just come from Target.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve finished building my RG EVA-01. I’m going to put the decals on before I do the transport platform.

Two mistakes: I pulled off a knuckle from a ridge while scraping down a nub with my hobby knife. It’s not a big deal, it still seems to fit snugly in the hand with the rest of the piece.

The other is with a horn. There are two options: A solid purple piece with a sticker for the green stripes, and a piece with the green stripe molded on. I wanted to use the piece without the sticker, but the horn broke in half after I set it down. Just under the upper green stripe. I didn’t notice until I went to pick it up later. I don’t think I was rough with it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Much of panel lining on my Livelance Heaven has completely faded over the last couple months, and I guess that shows the value of a topcoat. I have not yet felt the call to get that deep into the hobby, though.

Anyway, my birthday is coming up, and my family has asked me for gift ideas. The HG Heavyarms is an obvious choice, since it’s at Target, is from a show I’ve seen, and is also just cool. I’ve also been thinking about trying a MG with the Endless Waltz Wing Zero or Epyon. Any thoughts on those two? I’ve made the RG Exia and Eva 01 with transport platform.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Midjack posted:

If you want the MG Wing Zero get the recent Ver Ka, the other one is an ancient kit.

I did send out a message with this Barnes and Noble posting, which was posted this year, but doesn’t have the Ver Ka phrase :ohdear:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wing-gundam-zero-bandai-hobby-gunpla/1140378717

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got this dude for my birthday on July 27th, along with a Lego Optimus Prime. It was a busy month, so it's kind of like a backlog of one. It's my sixth dude since starting the hobby this past Christmas.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

grassy gnoll posted:

Did you get a before timestamp when this one was still on the sprues?

Nope!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Speaking of pairing things, I’m thinking ahead to Christmas, and I think I might ask for the MG EW Wing Zero Ver. Ka (Someone said I should specify Ver ka) and also the MG Epyon. Anything special to mention or ask for with the Epyon?

Grabbed the Barbataurus from Target. I think it’ll contrast with the Livelance Heaven nicely.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I kind of finished my Barbataurus. It's a little more scuffed than the other stuff I've done since I started Gunpla this year, I think. I say "kind of" because it's a little hard to get into a pose. Both its upper and horse torsos are from the Barbatos, and the horse one's thin hydraulic waist detaches from the "chest" when I move it around.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I bought a metallic silver Gundam marker. Any tips for using it?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
My sister got me the MG Epyon for Christmas, one of the dudes on my list. It's my first MG, though I have done two RGs before.

Our plans to visit our other sister were disrupted by the big storm, and with them her plan to pick it up on the way, so before Christmas she swung by Target and got me the Livelance Heaven so I'd have something to open on Christmas morning, forgetting that she got it for me earlier this year. So she went back and exchanged it for a HG Wing Zero Sky. She thought it looked cool. More dudes for me!

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 4, 2023

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I was miffed that there isn't a way to have the Barbataurus hold the bow real well. You just kind of try to rest the arrow on top of the fist that holds the bow and it kinda stays, and put the "string" behind the other fist and hope perspective hides it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I finished this guy I got for Christmas a week or so ago. Got an action base form Hobby Lobby:

Did some light panel lining, probably too light. Much of the panel lining I did on the Livelance Heaven I got last winter faded. Would doing it thicker help, or do I really need a topcoat for that?

My other Christmas present was an MG Epyon. It'll be my first MG. I've done RGs, the Exia and Eva-0, so I know it'll be about the same, just more of it. I feel like I should try something different, though I don't know what, as I don't really have anywhere I can spray stuff. I have this basic toolkit which has suited me fine so far, though the finer of the two files degraded pretty quickly. I'm not sure if that's my fault.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Just started my MG Epyon, and I snipped a little nub on top of the cockpit which wasn’t supposed to be shipped. I’m pretty sure doesn’t attach to anything, and I don’t think you can actually see the cockpit without disassembling the thing.

But still, feels bad man.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 13, 2023

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I was finally focusing on getting the MG Epyon I got for Christmas done, when this happens so close to the finish, while assembling the backpack:

These pieces were tight fits, and I twisted too hard trying to get the second one in there.

What would you guys do next?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

parabolic posted:

I think given the other piece helps it establish a hold on the peg, I would wager that plastic cementing the broken sections together might work fine. The stronger but more finnicky option is to pin it, drilling a small hole into both sides of the broken face, inserting a pin/wire/paperclip piece inside and sealing with cement or gel superglue. If the cement in the first option weren't strong enough or broke, you'd still have a chance to pin it and it doesn't require tools so seems reasonable to start there.

I've searched some tutorials on doing this just now, but I haven't yet come across one dealing with the fact that the broken end of the peg is inaccessible. Most of it is up in that hole, and also not as far as it needed to be before it broke off. It's supposed to rotate, so I don't think I'd want to try any glue or cement while it's still in there.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Bimmi posted:

You’ll need to drill with a pin vise to pull the broken piece out, so you might as well pin it.

https://blaze.re/fixing-broken-pegs/

Got a drill, got the easy part done on one end of the broken peg. Going by this and some other tutorials, it looks like the best way to get the broken-off peg out of that bottom piece is to go in through the other side and use another object to push it out, right?

Going in through the other side also seems like the solution to drilling through that bottom piece, as the broken end there is concave.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Dr Christmas posted:

I was finally focusing on getting the MG Epyon I got for Christmas done, when this happens so close to the finish, while assembling the backpack:

These pieces were tight fits, and I twisted too hard trying to get the second one in there.

What would you guys do next?

I finally got around to getting this out a few days ago. It was really jammed in there, so I ended up having to go through the bottom and push it out. Luckily, the hole is pretty hidden.

Today I started applying the dry transfer decals, the first time I’ve ever tried it. Wouldn’t you know, the very first one I applied was in the wrong place. It was a stripe on one of the segments of its calf that was juuust slightly longer than the one that was supposed to be there.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m pretty much done with my MG Epyon, and I just have to put all big pieces together, which I am waiting to do with the person who got it for me for Christmas.

It’s my first MG, though I’ve done some RGs before, and the first time I’ve used dry transfer decals. I made some mistakes, you can see on the wings and legs. The very first of these decals I ever tried was wrong, putting a stripe that should have gone on the upper shin segment on the lower one, and the length was slightly different, so I had to switch things around to make sure the were evenly wrongly distributed, which I still kind of failed at as some of it got shifted around.

Those I could hide in the back, but I can't do that with this mistake on the chest here:

I noticed the gates seemed less hidden than the other kits I’ve built since I started doing this a year and a half ago, and I wonder if that's a consequence of this being from the early 2010s. Ijust used some cheap nippers and a knife that came with this kit, and some of the nubs don't look great.

I’m going to order a base, and I’m torn between also ordering water slide decals and replacing some of the mistakes, or leaving them for posterity. Like kintsugi, if kintsugi was just the potter messing up when he made it the first time

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 10, 2023

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
PG Devil Gundam in its final, gargantuan form growing out of Neo-Japan.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m close to finishing assembly of the MG Wing Zero Ver Ka I got for Christmas, complementing the MG Epyon I got the Christmas before that.

Even though it’s a more complicated kit, I’m having a much easier time with it, and I can’t really explain it. The nubs are just placed better, or the type of plastic? I don’t know. I haven’t made a mistake yet, while on the Epyon I broke a leg, put the very first dry transfer in the wrong place (“forcing” me to it 3 more in the wrong place to achieve some symmetry) and got a decals on the chest crooked.

The Wing Zero has water slide decals, which I’ve never used before. Do I want to put those on before or after I panel line? I still just used marker-type liners and cotton swabs. I don’t think I feel like going out of my way to get topcoat or marker setter or anything else new.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m finishing up my MG Wing Zero. It’s the first time I’ve used water slides.

They turned out mostly good, though they do occasionally come off and it’s never the ones I expect. I can see why marker setter is a thing. There are the occasional ones where the border of the piece I juuust too big to fit on the part. I left one day and came back to find one tiny red wedge seemingly gone forever.

I wasn’t planning on buying anything fancy like topcoat or softener or setter, and I feel like re-wetting the ones that fall off works surprisingly well, even after some time, as long as I plan on never touching them again. But I’m sure someone’s going to say that yes, you idiot, of course you’ll need something extra if you want to keep something that’s fallen off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I looked through a Hobby Lobby and another local store to find some decal setter to solve the issue of a decals coming off the MG I just finished after I touch them. I didn’t have any luck, except one place had a bottle of Tamiya Mark Fit Strong. That is more of a softener than a setter, right?

Mark Setter and Softer cost less separately than they do together on Amazon, weird.

Before all this, I should have asked, since I already put those decals on, is it just too late to bother? I said in a previous post re-wetting them works surprisingly well, so I’d assume some setter would help more, though not as much as if I’d done it from the start.