Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

gradenko_2000 posted:

Don't have CM:BN, I think I'll just watch this round. It's great to see that Grey started something magical here though!

Everything I do is magical, thank you very much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
I want to be a tank this time around, likely allied.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
As I am mostly green goon (I have a KIA medal from last battle...I got better), I want to enlist into glorious and rear end-kicking American army!
Preferably as a Sherman tank or some other vehicle commander (one tank or one... whatever is equivalent to the half-truck assault vehicle).

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Abongination posted:

Except he's on the American team haha! The Germans have experience on their side so between them I'm sure they can whip something up.

My point still stands as long as we can find at least one designated clicker for the Yanks :colbert:

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Ah this is a scenario so no need for my services. Isn't this the same map grey used for his 2nd cm goon game?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

dtkozl posted:

Ah this is a scenario so no need for my services. Isn't this the same map grey used for his 2nd cm goon game?

Yes it is. Should we switch things up or keep it?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Bacarruda posted:

Yes it is. Should we switch things up or keep it?

Well, it provided such moments as Shermans beating German tanks at long range, a tank crew routing half a platoon and half a company running around the battlefield to ambush forward observers, resulting in friendly fire barrage because it couldn't be cancelled. :arghfist::hitler:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I dint remember a second Normandy game, just the first one. I think there's some sort of mass delusion itt.

(If you want to cross the map, use trucks! Not feet. :()

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Normandy wooo :woop:

I never saw any of the earlier LPs so this is new to me. If I sign up for this I'm not sure what I'll wanna be this time. Probably something that's not so much of a time commitment.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Normandy Game 1 - Allied
Normandy Game 1 - German
Normandy Game 2 - German
Normandy Game 2 - Allies

Common Thread

I'm going to be strictly peanut gallery on this one, I'm afraid.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Eh, guess I'll take a Sherman. What could possibly go wrong?

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Yeah I've totally got infantry tactics down now, signing up.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Oh my. I was planning on playing as Germans for the next game, but do we have any spots open over there anymore? It looks like we've got a lot of experience on both sides.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Wow, no one wants to sign up as the Germans it seems.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Wow, no one wants to sign up as the Germans it seems.

That's because they're supposed to be outnumbered and only have 5 or so spots.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Generation Internet posted:

That's because they're supposed to be outnumbered and only have 5 or so spots.

I retract my previous statement.

Should be exciting to watch/play, I haven't looked at GH's Normandy games yet and I'm sure it'll be wildly different from Germans vs Russians.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I retract my previous statement.

Should be exciting to watch/play, I haven't looked at GH's Normandy games yet and I'm sure it'll be wildly different from Germans vs Russians.

Yeah, I wonder how the doctrinal differences will play out this time around. I suppose the american infantry will likely still have a certain advantage at close range, but not to the incredible degree that russian SMG squads did. On the upside, they probably won't be as outclassed at longer range due to the larger volume of fire of their rifles and additional organic light machine guns. But of course that doesn't take into account the relative veterancy levels, so I suppose all bets are off there :v:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Having played in two Grey Hunter LPs, the Americans felt palpably weaker than the Soviets. Your infantry is kinda meh, your Shermans are pretty cool vs infantry but very easy to lose, and you just don't have a gently caress You unit like the soviet IS2s. I'd say that your saving grace is basically your fire support, so be prepared to use it a lot and often!

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

The American units aren't bad, but the terrain puts them at such a disadvantage compared to anything on the eastern front. Normandy has such awesome defensive terrain. The big hedgerows are amazing, and you get all those thick stone buildings as well.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I've put my name down if the Germans need a substitute, and I'll keep to the German thread once the game starts.

I'm skeptical of how a pre-made scenario designed for a German AI will go, but I'm sure there will be plenty of explosions to make things exciting.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I just feel super sad I'll never see an IS2 regiment in action.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

dtkozl posted:

Isn't this the same map grey used for his 2nd cm goon game?

Ah, What a cock-up! Checking it out it seems that the map is significantly different in both terrain and troops so there shouldn't be much overlap!

This will hopefully be a reasonably quick, brutal fight so we can get the hang of it, learn from the game and get another one going asap!

*Edit - Looking at the signups we seem almost ready to go, if no one is interested in the Commander role for the Americans I can hop into the position and play the part of Grey Hunter for them, inputting orders and taking footage without bias.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 5, 2014

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
I stuck my name in on the American side, hopefully I'm not too late.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Added myself tentatively as US infantry, but I'd be happy play whatever role is needed.

I have CMBN w/ 3.0 upgrade.

Really would like to get in on this; hopefully it's not too late to sign up.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Not at all! With the way that reinforcements trickle in we are sure to have a spare tank or unit on the American side for most people, especially if we lose a few to drop outs before the waves in question appear.

I've got video recording software working well and I'm in the process of uploading a bunch of video's detailing force and reinforcement makeup to youtube as we speak

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I won't be in this match except to watch, but wanted to give something useful: a bit of accumulated knowledge that details the orders available.

Rather than follow how CM presents them, I've split them up into how commanders in this style of play will use them. Movement is how you draw your lines on the map, and probably the best to use appropriate colors for if you can. The rest are effectively non-movement commands that can also be part of an order, or implied by the description of your actions.

MOVEMENT COMMANDS

MOVE - Normal non-combat movement. Units are not expecting to fight, but will maintain awareness just in case.

Infantry: Basically walking. Units will eventually get tired from moving, but remember this is the least tiring mode of movement.

Vehicles: Moderately slow driving. Typically used when spotting or moving behind the lines and not in any hurry.

QUICK - Faster movement. Awareness is reduced but speed is increased.

Infantry: A jog. Healthy soldiers can keep this up for quite some distance before tiring. If enemy contact is not expected, or it's important to get in position, it is probably better to go quick and rest at the destination then to use normal movement the whole way.

Vehicles: Medium speed. Vehicles are slightly more likely to be ambushed in this mode. But then they do get to their waypoint sooner.

FAST - the fastest possible speed. Best for retreating in a hurry or when covering a short stretch of exposed terrain that must be crossed.

Infantry: A fast run. Most of the time the enemy is ignored and all efforts are focused on getting to the destination. This is very tiring and should only be used in a situation where movement is necessary for survival.

Vehicles: Top speed. There's almost no chance of any spotting going on, but anything that's moving faster is also harder to hit. Useful for rapidly covering distance while not attempting to fight or spot.

SLOW - the slowest possible speed. Typically used to avoid detection.

Infantry: This is crawling. The point of this is to move without being spotted. This is the most tiring movement mode, and should almost never be used. It's really only of use when sneaking into or out of a well-concealed position, such as for scouting.

Vehicles: Moving about as fast infantry can walk. So it's good to keep tanks from outpacing infantry, if that's a concern (usually it isn't). Vehicles can reduce the chance of being detected if they are moving slow.

HUNT - movement in expectation of combat. Fairly slow, and causes the unit to stop immediately upon contact [this means either spotting an enemy unit or being fired on]. Observation is at a maximum.

Infantry: Use this when moving into known enemy positions, or when it's more important to initiate combat than to arrive at a particular waypoint.

Vehicles: This is good when not wanting to move too far into unknown territory or when literally hunting for targets. However, it also means the vehicle has just stopped moving while likely being fired on, and is therefore an easier target. Probably safest to use when you're confident that your vehicle can take the hits, or that stopping to fire at any available target is of highest priority. Flushing out infantry is a good example.

REVERSE - for vehicles only. Move in a reverse direction, naturally. Very important for tanks in certain situations to ensure sensible movement.

Special movement orders [these are really special orders, but are classified as movement]

ASSAULT - Only usable by infantry units of a sufficient size. Performs an automatic 'bounding overwatch' maneuver by splitting the squad. This cedes more control to the AI, so you're probably better off just handling it on your own.

MARK MINES, BLAST - Only usable for engineers/demo teams. Mark mines makes antipersonnel minefields safer for travel. Blast is used to blow holes in structures.

Loading/unloading transport - There is no special command for loading or unloading (although see DISMOUNT). Instead, units are order to move onto or out of a stationary vehicle. Since neither unit can move during this time, and orders are entered in longer intervals, loading and unloading in this style of play takes even longer than usual.

General notes on movement

All movement orders in CM use a waypoint system. An order is given by selecting a movement mode (one of those above) and a waypoint, which will be marked as a straight line from the previous waypoint. Any number of waypoints can be used, each with their own movement mode. On its turn the unit will move from waypoint to waypoint in the desired mode. Movement does not necessarily follow the straight-line path from waypoint to waypoint. Units will select their own best path, and may enter combat while moving as well. Unless a FACE command is given at the waypoint, units will end up facing in the direction of their movement.

Generally speaking, there is no continuity through waypoints. Each section of the path is treated as its own leg, and the waypoint must always be touched. This can present a bit of a problem for vehicles trying to navigate a turn. Unless the difference in direction is slight, a vehicle may well reach a waypoint, stop, and then turn at low speed towards the next waypoint. It's a bit frustrating, but hopefully your commander can help you smooth out those paths for easier travel.

Example of a good tank movement plot (the first points are reverse, with the last blue line marking facing).

NON-MOVEMENT COMMANDS

Commands that aren't movement are associated with a waypoint, and go into effect when the unit reaches the waypoint. During the orders phase, some commands can be applied immediately (as if the unit is at a temporary waypoint before continuing its move). There are others that can be used only if a unit is stationary, meaning they are applied to to the last point on its path (when it will next be stationary), or immediately if the unit's not moving. A given command may be combined with some other commands at the same waypoint, but not stacked with another of itself (e.g. you can't have an order that sets a facing, pauses 1 minute, then adjusts the facing again without moving).

Commands that toggle stay in effect until canceled, but can be canceled automatically by another command or in-game event. Target commands are functionally toggle commands, as once applied, they remain in effect until changed or canceled.

FACE - If you're infantry, this is practically the only combat command you need to know. This is technically a defensive command, as it causes units to expect attacks from the direction faced, and to seek nearby cover. But it also has the effect of improving observation in the direction being faced.

Tracked vehicles will rotate in position if given a facing order. It's typically better to just be moving in the desired direction and end up facing the right way.

HIDE [Toggle]- Try to avoid being seen. The unit holds fire and moves into concealment, if possible. Hide commands can only be issued while stationary.

Infantry will go prone, and if the terrain is any way favorable, that makes them very difficult to spot. It also means they aren't likely to spot anyone else, however. Vehicles can hide, but it doesn't make them any smaller.

Units may unhide automatically if they take fire, or the unit decides it's under a serious threat.

Unhiding is normally not necessary, as any movement order will cancel a HIDE. It can be used to come out of hiding without moving.

PAUSE - Pause movement. Adding a pause to a waypoint causes the unit to hold its position in that spot for a specified amount of time. The amount of time to hold is from 5-90 seconds in 5-second intervals. [Pausing indefinitely is an option, too, but not necessary in a game run this way.]

This can be used for cautious advancement. Keep in mind that pausing does not mean 'do nothing', it just means, 'don't move'. Observation and combat can still continue.

OPEN UP [Toggle] - used by tanks to open or close their hatches. When buttoned up, the crew is protected from fire, but spotting is much worse. Tanks not in combat should usually be open, and might stay that way even in a fight. They do risk having their commander shot by small-arms fire when open, however.

POP SMOKE - only for units equipped with smoke grenades. Throws/fires a smoke grenade in the unit's current facing. A FACE command can be used to govern the direction of the throw (but will still cause the unit to change facing).

More specialty commands

DEPLOY WEAPON - deploys a crewed weapon, such as a heavy machine gun. These typically cannot be fired unless deployed, and cannot be moved unless limbered/undeployed. It also takes time to deploy and undeploy them. As with unhiding, undeployment occurs automatically when movement orders are issued.

DISMOUNT - dismounts the crew (and any passengers) from a vehicle. Generally not necessary. The crew is needed to operate the vehicle, and a transported unit disembarks simply by moving away from a stationary vehicle.

BAIL OUT - orders a tank crew to exit the tank. Crews normally will bail out on their own depending on the hit, so it's rarely necessary to issue this.

ACQUIRE - obtain ammunition while at a supply depot or truck. Used by artillery crews, if by anyone.

TARGETING COMMANDS

The most important thing to remember about targeting is that units will pick targets and engage them on their own. It is almost never necessary, and usually not advisable, to issue detailed targeting orders. Let the soldiers make the decision and adjust to the battlefield, only nudging them using combat orders as needed. This is especially true in a setup like this, where orders are adjusted less often.

TARGET - selects a specific target unit or an area. Don't target a unit unless specifically ordered to. Targeting an area can have some benefit toward suppression, but remember it's unlikely to actually hit anything. Also, don't use this command at all -- use TARGET BRIEFLY instead.

TARGET LIGHT - similar to TARGET, but uses a reduced rate of fire, and avoids using heavy weapons like tank guns. Suitable for harassing fire, if at all.

TARGET BRIEFLY - similar to TARGET, but with a time limit set (in 15-second intervals). This is the one TARGET mode that expires on its own, which makes it preferable to plain TARGET.

TARGET ARC - Sets an arc (up to and including a circle), and does not fire on any units outside that arc. If given an arc, the unit will automatically face toward the center of it.

The arc is relative to the unit, and will move with it when the unit moves. This means that if you select an arc that covers a particular region, and then move, you'll need to adjust the arc to cover the same region.

Arcs should be avoided by infantry, except to ensure that specialty units (e.g. an HQ) doesn't get into combat, or that a unit avoids giving away its position while the enemy is still at long range. Remember that all TARGET commands stay in effect until modified, and arcs move with the unit, so circles are safer in this regard.

Vehicles, at least tanks specifically, can gain more benefit from arcs. Selecting an arc will make the tank keep its turret pointed toward the center of the arc, regardless of the hull facing. That makes it somewhat useful for anticipating attacks. Although in this case it's often better to use TARGET ARMOR ARC instead.

Here's an example of a tank setting an arc to put its turret in position while moving.

TARGET ARMOR ARC - Same thing as TARGET ARC, but further restricts combat to armored vehicles within the arc. Keeps tanks from being distracted by small arms fire that likely won't hurt them, and focused on the things that will.

Antitank teams may use this, but it's not strictly necessary -- they tend to have fewer distractions and will definitely go after a tank within range. One way this can be used is to give an arc to an ambushing AT team. The arc can be set to make sure they don't fire at a tank until they are at its side or rear, where they'll have a better chance of penetration.

TARGET SMOKE - Specialty command for units that can direct fire smoke rounds at range (i.e. a tank gun or similar). The next round fired will be a smoke round at the designated point (or unit, even).

CLEAR TARGET - Cancels all targeting orders and allows the unit to select targets freely.

ADMIN COMMANDS (splitting teams)
An admin command allows squads to split up into teams. This varies by the composition of your force, so consult with your commander on what's available. Typically units can break off small teams, i.e. for recon or as an AT team, or split into fire teams.

There is no explicit 're-join squad' command. Squads will automatically rebuild by having the teams move to the same location and stop for short time (in turns typical of this game, it will be complete by the next orders phase).

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

:allears:

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
Yer that was a fantastic post mate, I was working on something similar but it was nowhere near as comprehensive!

Will throw that into both faction threads!

Dark_Swordmaster, I can't seem to PM you so could you please throw me a email at a throwaway address so we can sort out mods and organise a way to stay in contact, I'd say we're about ready to go

Abongination fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 6, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'll just buy PM's as well.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Pillbug
24 hours until faction threads are published and the game is officially live, anyone who hasn't signed up but still wants to please put your name down for the American armour, the spreadsheet will be locked when the faction threads go up.

Once the game is live everyone assigned to a team (even the reserves) can view and post ONLY IN THEIR FACTIONS THREAD, this thread and your opponents thread are totally off limits. Spectators please only post in this thread.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 6, 2014

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
I'll be sitting this one out so I guess this is my last chance to say good luck to both teams. So, uh, good luck guys. Please ensure your deaths are entertaining. :v:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

On that note I just witnessed a single 88 shell pass through and destroy two T-70s in Red Thunder, clearly they weren't stacked deep enough. I propose that our tanks travel in three-deep convoy formation at all times so they act as ablative armor.

I hope we can have cock-ups worthy of the last battles :911:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Nicked and mutated the map from last year's gameages ago:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
4076 huh? Guess they're missing one pair of Hawkeyes.

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

Since I don't have archives, are the videos still hosted somewhere?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Nope. First game is all screenshots, second game has videos but they're unavailable.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

4076 huh? Guess they're missing one pair of Hawkeyes.

:rolleye:
You only need one eye to survey! (unless you're using a stereoscopic rangefinder)

eigenstate posted:

Since I don't have archives, are the videos still hosted somewhere?

I was having a look through last night and they seem to have disappeared off of youtube as well. The first game is all screenshots! here's an example from in the middle of the action.

Grey Hunter posted:

Here are the artillery requests, just so people don't ask “how long”

The troops of 2nd Platoon A Company continue to move forwards, but accurate German fire picks off two men from 1st Squad.

3rd platoon and Mr Peabody redeploy, and the Sherman pops smoke.

But is it to late?

The rocket strikes into the rear of the tank, exploding and ripping the engine to shreds. The smoke them billows up and no other fire is directed at the tank.

Despite the fact that the tank is only immobilized, the crew fear that she will explode, as Shermans, with their nickname “Ronsons” (One flick and they light!), are want to do. They bail out with all speed.

2nd platoon continues to get chopped up in the ploughed field.

2nd Platoon B company reach the edge of the objective zone,

The Tank crew ordered to move up to the south find the enemy.

Which, of course, ends well for them.

Well, that went well for you, didn't it.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
AKA "Why all orders should include a map and a separate paragraph," and even then you take your chances.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
That first game was such a shitshow. We blew a bunch of points on Stuarts and lost them in a Panther ambush. bunnyofdoom forgot to get any trucks for the 57mm guns so we had to push them all the way across the battlefield. My tank commander got shot from the turret, then my tank got blown up by a Panther while I was busy shooting at some infantry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
First game best game.

Bacarruda posted:

That first game was such a shitshow. We blew a bunch of points on Stuarts and lost them in a Panther ambush. bunnyofdoom forgot to get any trucks for the 57mm guns so we had to push them all the way across the battlefield. My tank commander got shot from the turret, then my tank got blown up by a Panther while I was busy shooting at some infantry.

I think that was me. The other Panther was in the south snacking on Stuarts.

• Locked thread