Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

The Ninth Layer posted:

Sure. I'll give you recommendations first for classic fights that are definitely worth watching, and then for some more recent fights containing guys who are still active and relevant in the sport today. IMO the best way to get into boxing and the way I did it is to watch fights until you find someone you really enjoy watching. Chances are you'll enjoy watching that fighter against other opponents too and it's a great way to learn both about fighter careers and the various fighting styles in boxing.

THanks for this, i'll give them a watch when I have time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I've been an MMA fan for a while but I've just recently started watching Boxing and KickBoxing. The first thing I wanted to do to get into boxing was to catch up on all of Floyd and Pac's fights in anticipation of their potential meeting.

What is the general feeling on Floyd Mayweather? I just watched both of his Maidana fights back to back, and the first one was great but I have a hard time imagining that's your typical Mayweather fight from what I've heard about him. His 2nd fight with Maidana seemed (again I don't know poo poo about boxing) to be a mixed bag of Floyd being masterful with his footwork, but also almost straight up avoiding an actual fight. I'm not one of the youtuber commenters that says a fighter is running whenever he uses great footwork, but it seemed like Floyd was a bit overly safe in this fight.

I have to watch more Mayweather fights, but was Maidana II just sort of a meh fight, or is that how most of Floyd's fights are if it's up to him?

Shear the Sheep
Dec 31, 2008

Ty1990 posted:

I've been an MMA fan for a while but I've just recently started watching Boxing and KickBoxing. The first thing I wanted to do to get into boxing was to catch up on all of Floyd and Pac's fights in anticipation of their potential meeting.

What is the general feeling on Floyd Mayweather? I just watched both of his Maidana fights back to back, and the first one was great but I have a hard time imagining that's your typical Mayweather fight from what I've heard about him. His 2nd fight with Maidana seemed (again I don't know poo poo about boxing) to be a mixed bag of Floyd being masterful with his footwork, but also almost straight up avoiding an actual fight. I'm not one of the youtuber commenters that says a fighter is running whenever he uses great footwork, but it seemed like Floyd was a bit overly safe in this fight.

I have to watch more Mayweather fights, but was Maidana II just sort of a meh fight, or is that how most of Floyd's fights are if it's up to him?

I would say about 75% of Floyd's fights are beautiful defensive boxing while the other 25% he's just straight up avoiding the fight. He was wobbled in the second Maidana fight at the end of the (4th?) round. If that had happened with about a minute to go the fight could have been over. He recognized that and then for the rest of the fight was extremely cautious. If you wan't to see Floyd box beautifully watch him against Canelo, Coralles or Hatton. Recently as he's gotten older he's been abusing more and more the fact that he uses the biggest ring in boxing and has crazy stamina.

If you want to see great defensive footwork and counter punching watch Rigondeaux vs Donaire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y3qQNiKZDc

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Floyd matches were way more fun to watch back before he went up to welter. He was much more aggressive at lightweight and super-feather.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This is what I think of when I think of Mayweather/Hatton

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
It remains the best check hook ever

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Lionel Richie posted:

Top 10 is alright, afterwards needs some reshuffling and DeGale out. A 7/10 P4P list.

Super late on this but who do you have at 168 above DeGale? Keeping in mind Andre Ward is ineligible due to inactivity (and may be for quite sometine longer due to the fact that Roc Nation's boxing promotion is alreadly coming apart) and Carl Froch will either fight Chavez Jr and no one and retire or he has already retired while Mikkel Kessler is totally reitred.

I think he would handle Groves in a rematch as well as beat either of the Dirrell brothers with fair ease. Therefore i consider him the best active fighter at 168 at this point in time.

EDIT VVVV: He said earlier this month that other than a rematch with Ward or rubber match with Froch he is retired. Since both seem like remote possibilites for reasons
already noted, it seems to correct to say he is effectively (for what passes as retirement in combat sports) retired.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155216950335637&substory_index=0&id=185438090636&refid=17

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 16, 2015

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

The SituAsian posted:

Mikkel Kessler is totally reitred.

Wasn't he in talks to fight DeGale like a month ago?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God
So Al Haymon has announced a few more fights, and also that he's secured dates to broadcast fights on CBS as well ( :psyduck: )

The Ring posted:

Omar Figeuroa will face Ricky Burns in a junior welterweight fight on May 9 on CBS.

On March 28, WBC featherweight titleholder Jhonny Gonzalez will defend against Gary Russell Jr. on Showtime Championship Boxing. Junior middleweights Jermell Charlo and Vanes Martirosyan will fight on that card.

On April 18, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. will take on Andrzej Fonfara on Showtime Championship Boxing.

CBS also will television boxing shows in June, July and September. And up to three more dates are expected to be announced.

Hope you guys are ready for Gary Russell Jr: Titleholder

I'm going to be loving pumped if Fonfara somehow kicks the poo poo out of Chavez Jr (he probably won't)

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

ozymandius1024 posted:

So Al Haymon has announced a few more fights, and also that he's secured dates to broadcast fights on CBS as well ( :psyduck: )

Hope you guys are ready for Gary Russell Jr: Titleholder

I'm going to be loving pumped if Fonfara somehow kicks the poo poo out of Chavez Jr (he probably won't)

Meh. I think Jhonny has the power to spark Jr so i wouldn't be too worried about Mr. TBA getting a belt.

Adonis - Sakio Bika supposedly on tap for a sometime around then on CBS as well.

All this Haymon business is just weird because we're getting good fights with lots of exposure (setting aside the fact that most of us in this thread are already paying for premium networks and/or have the werewithal to search for streams.) but on the other hand the continuing balkanization of the sport is only going to be worse once theres all these great fighters coming out of the PBC "tournaments" and all they have to show are marginal increases in popularity, questions of "why isnt this guy fighting Golovkin, Kovalev, etc." and some newly made up belt that only exists in this new Haymonverse

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The only difference between that and what it's been for the last three years is the exposure Haymon's fighters are getting and the number of fighters he now has. It's not like anyone expected Quillin to ever get into the ring with GGG regardless of what network he fights on. With what Haymon is doing now, he'll be pressed to make good fights because he's divorced himself from the security of premium channel money.

If 700,000 people watch Gary Russell fight a cab driver on HBO, Al Haymon still got paid and his fighter got paid too. If 700,000 people tune in to see Gary Russell against a cab driver on NBC, then you can bet Haymon lost a ton of money and probably has some pissed off advertisers. If 3 million people watch that same Gary Russell fight against a nobody on NBC, then again there's viewers who won't show up the next time around.

You can believe that any match Haymon brings to NBC or CBS or whatever is going to be competitive (or at least the main event will be competitive) because otherwise he'll lose viewers and dollars. Things that have turned off viewers in the past like bad decisions, one-sided fights etc. are even MORE harmful for Haymon than someone like Arum, because Haymon is trying to appeal to the mainstream viewer as well as boxing fans. As followers of the sport we're plenty used to bad decisions for example, but if you've ever seen a fight with a casual fan that has a bad scorecard, it essentially ruins the fight for them even if the action was good and even if whoever wins is pretty inconsequential.

Haymon also needs to make mismatches and tune-up fights too, which is why he will need multiple platforms to put on his fights. He already has his likely B-team network in Spike, with the first card set between Andre Berto and Josecito Lopez (both of whom have names but are past major relevance). The fights on that network aren't going to capture nearly the same audience so he can get away with putting on worse matches; the people watching on Spike are probably more of the people like us who follow boxing instead of the people browsing free channels on Saturday that see a fight is on. I think he'll need more than just Spike for this but there's always NBC Sports too.

It's not too surprising that CBS is also getting dates as Haymon and CBS-owned Showtime have been in business for a while; what's surprising to me is that the NBC dates got announced first and they're actually pretty good fights. This makes me wonder what Haymon will be doing with CBS that is different from his NBC deal, or even different from the fights he's putting on Showtime. For example it looks like the Russell and Chavez Jr. cards are going to Showtime instead of CBS, which doesn't make a ton of sense to me unless he's setting up these guys to fight early this year and then have bigger matches on CBS. I guess we'll see.

Anyway I'm in support of what Haymon is doing, but I think the biggest issue with his whole enterprise is still that he does not have a truly elite fighter to put his weight behind. He has nobody you could name as a top-10 fighter besides Mayweather who is on his way out anyway. Who's his best fighter after that? Amir Khan is supposedly a Haymon fighter but from what I've heard he may be somewhat a free agent. A year ago I would have said Danny Garcia but we saw how his 2014 went. Stevenson and Quillin are in basically the same boat. That really just leaves someone like Erislandy Lara who despite being elite will never be anybody that mainstream audiences will rally behind. Haymon has a lot of very good fighters but in my opinion he does not have a great one yet, or even a fighter I could see being great in three years.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Still getting into boxing. What is the closest to two mike tyson style fighters slugging it out in the ring?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

lemonslol posted:

Still getting into boxing. What is the closest to two mike tyson style fighters slugging it out in the ring?

For obvious reasons this is pretty uncommon at the higher weight classes but one of the better actions fights of the past decade and has to be James Toney - Vassily Jirov (fought at crusierweight in 2003). 12th round is totally bonkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOqWPoR76mI

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

lemonslol posted:

If you want a couple of heavyweights with a shitload of power going at it, check out George Foreman vs Ron Lyle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT3-xl-VUnU

It's short, but it's a loving war.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ozymandius1024 posted:

If you want a couple of heavyweights with a shitload of power going at it, check out George Foreman vs Ron Lyle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT3-xl-VUnU

It's short, but it's a loving war.

:gonk:

Also, the worst thing in the loving world would be getting jabbed in the face by George Foreman.

Because then there would be some sort of loving bomb coming any second and you would know you're powerless to stop it.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

The scariest thing about Foreman was the way he would throw what looked like sloppy, slow shots and then people went down like a car hit them. Dude was a freak.

Add to this he was a decpetively good boxer.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Dangersim posted:

The scariest thing about Foreman was the way he would throw what looked like sloppy, slow shots and then people went down like a car hit them. Dude was a freak.

Add to this he was a decpetively good boxer.

When George hit someone, they knew about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDd3IRMw_Us

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

biglads posted:

Albeit often not until a couple hours later.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

fatherdog posted:

Albeit often not until a couple hours later.

True. Sometimes longer. I'm not sure Joe Frazier ever really knew what happened to him in Kingston.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Also this is a great example of one of my favorite things about George in his second run; he had these points where he would literally strafe his opponent. Like he'd casually stroll past them and fire off a couple shots while he was walking; he was like a boat firing cannons broadside or something.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Cool videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tch0Ch1kd9g

Just seen this explaining a technique Tyson used called the D'Amato Shift

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

biglads posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDd3IRMw_Us

That he walks right up to him following a knockdown and just nonchalantly throws the nastiest left uppercut and knocks him the gently caress out is just phenomenal.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

What is the opinion on Terence Crawford? Just watched the Gamboa fight, which is the first I've seen of him, and dude seems to be really loving good.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
A lot of people had him seriously in the running for 2014 Fighter of the Year.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

God drat it Jack Slack now has every retard trying to provide ~deep analysis~ to old fights. Super loving annoying.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I've been really like this Gamboa fellow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_gSlaHNaBk

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

lemonslol posted:

I've been really like this Gamboa fellow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_gSlaHNaBk

Yeah, Gamboa can be a lot of fun to watch because of his speed and power. A lot of people felt he was fighting above his optimal weight against Crawford, and he still looked pretty darn good in parts of that fight.

If you want to be impressed, watch his fights against Orlando Salido and Jorge Solis.

Also, what ever happened to the potential bout against Jorge Linares? I haven't heard anything about it in a bit, and there's nothing on boxrec.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

http://miketysonlive.com/this-day-in-boxing-history/this-day-in-boxing-february-19-1991-morrison-stops-thomas/ Tyson tweeted this today.

God Morrison is fun to watch. Dat hook. Probably full of sweet 90s roids, though.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

CommonShore posted:

http://miketysonlive.com/this-day-in-boxing-history/this-day-in-boxing-february-19-1991-morrison-stops-thomas/ Tyson tweeted this today.

God Morrison is fun to watch. Dat hook. Probably full of sweet 90s roids, though.

Are there any good videos breaking down his lead left hook? I would love to be able to throw a left hook like that.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

I should be making a sandwich right now but instead I'm waiting by my computer for Floyd to put some gaudy picture up on his instagram.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm not sure what there is to break down. He just seems to be using an inside slip to feint the right hand and close the distance a bit while loading the left, and then he immediately snaps the left through his opponent's skull.

So anyway I rewatched it. So much fistical beauty on display there. I think he's throwing two different setup variations for the same hook in that fight. In the one he's slipping inside to put his weight over his front foot, sometimes with a small step, then firing the hook. In the other he's slipping back and out to put his weight over the rear foot, and then transferring his weight forward as he weaves to the inside, and then he fires just like the other one. I think he throws both high and low hooks with each setup in that one round. There's a beauty at 4:00.;

PAP.

What makes it special is how well and how fast he does it. I'm pretty sure that there are world champion boxers who would love to be able to throw a left hook like the ones we see in that vid.

This reminds me somewhat of what Slack describes in his Duran article, though Duran does it from both directions with both hands, often with a jab setup.

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/roberto-duran-the-stone-fists-of-a-nation

http://gfycat.com/ClumsyTalkativeJunebug

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The best Tommy Morrison left hook https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnc1w4zrF7Q. It's amazing that Ruddock got up from it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lionel Richie posted:

The best Tommy Morrison left hook https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnc1w4zrF7Q. It's amazing that Ruddock got up from it.

I watched that about 15 times and I still was having trouble seeing him fire it. Puts Ruddock into full jesus christ pose.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Man he barely put any body into that. Perfect shot no wasted motion.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
It's kickboxing but Ghita's left hook is radical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGPiMZJerbw#t=2m50s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGWMPJS5w0Q#t=6m56s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0xCOqa6-8Y#t=6m49s

vainman fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 19, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

KidDynamite posted:

Man he barely put any body into that. Perfect shot no wasted motion.

Yeah it was a funny combination of an uppercut and the hook. The rotation all happens as he stands from that crouch, and that disguises it really well. That uppercut grazes his head and his response is to fire while Ruddock's hand is out of place. Just sublime.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

willie_dee posted:

Are there any good videos breaking down his lead left hook? I would love to be able to throw a left hook like that.

Very few people have the physicality to accelerate a punch like that. If you want a good lead hook, just keep going to the gym and keep taking the instruction seriously.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

so nobuhiro ishida who you may remember beat kirkland and lost to golovkin a few years back at middleweight is apparently a heavyweight now

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?cat=boxer&human_id=24450

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

http://www.tmz.com/2015/02/20/floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-fight-announcement-official/

I have not read the article yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
there's nothing to read past the headline. TMZ Sports is pretty okay at breaking things like that so I think it should be official, but like everybody else, I won't believe it until Floyd himself says something. And then I won't believe it until they're in the ring together on May 2nd.

I have to say as a fan of boxing and MMA I am excited that both this fight and UFC 187 are happening on separate weekends.

• Locked thread