Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

May seems like it's going to be pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

CommonShore posted:

May seems like it's going to be pretty cool

Came to post this.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Mayweather posted the signed deal on his Shots account. It's official.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

The Ninth Layer posted:

oh my gooooooooooooooood yes

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:stare:

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
hell froze over

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

The Ninth Layer posted:

Itshappening.gif

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

:stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare:

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

manny's signature tho

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Hype?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Awesome.

So goon analysis, how do you see this fight going down? I say Manny gon die.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Forceholy posted:

Awesome.

So goon analysis, how do you see this fight going down? I say Manny gon die.

the fight will be very boring and the people who were stupid enough to buy the PPV will get upset

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Nope.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
everything leading up to the very second the bout starts will be the best thing ever.

then they will have 2 or 3 good rounds across 12 in which Floyd Mayweather wins a decision. Both guys give a speech, then they do the rematch later this year and we go through the whole process again except without the 5 years of draggin their feet and steroid accusations and so on

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MysteryNad posted:

the fight will be very boring and the people who were stupid enough to buy the PPV will get upset

If the PPV's actually $100, they deserve to get upset

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll be seeing in in the movie theater where it will inevitably be playing. Great atmosphere for a megafight.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Again, casual boxing fan (you'll be sick of them by this time next week so getting this in early) chiming in. Please feel free to call me retarded.

Manny doesn't do a great job of cutting off the ring from what I've seen. He destroyed Algieri but for the first several rounds of that fight it looked to me like he was chasing an awful lot and lunging with his punches. He also seemed to swing and miss alot in the 2nd Bradley fight, but Bradley wasn't even throwing counters half the time when he was using his head movement to dodge Manny's punches. I'm really not sure what he was doing for half that fight actually.

Basically, in my stupid opinion, if Manny chases Floyd and starts throwing wild punches that aren't connecting, he'll probably get countered to death. But I'd love someone who actually watches the sport religiously to chime in.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i'm excited for this fight, don't care that it's happening 5-10 years too late and will not be paying $100 so i can sit in my house and watch it so i don't care if it isn't a barn burner because it's still incredibly historic.

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Chris James 2 posted:

If the PPV's actually $100, they deserve to get upset

I'm even worse, I've got the few grand ready to buy a ticket if they even do an open sale. Any word yet on when/where/how they're going to do it?

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
Wow, I had accepted that it would never happen. Mayweather decision.

http://www.tsn.ca/mayweather-pacquiao-to-meet-on-may-2-1.212294

Mayweather to make $120m+ and Manny $80m+. Jesus Christ. Years of negotiations apparently will pay off.

i can still taste him fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 21, 2015

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Shankel Magnus posted:

I'm even worse, I've got the few grand ready to buy a ticket if they even do an open sale. Any word yet on when/where/how they're going to do it?

Apparently tickets are already sold out. Took 15 minutes.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Ty1990 posted:

Again, casual boxing fan (you'll be sick of them by this time next week so getting this in early) chiming in. Please feel free to call me retarded.

Manny doesn't do a great job of cutting off the ring from what I've seen. He destroyed Algieri but for the first several rounds of that fight it looked to me like he was chasing an awful lot and lunging with his punches. He also seemed to swing and miss alot in the 2nd Bradley fight, but Bradley wasn't even throwing counters half the time when he was using his head movement to dodge Manny's punches. I'm really not sure what he was doing for half that fight actually.

Basically, in my stupid opinion, if Manny chases Floyd and starts throwing wild punches that aren't connecting, he'll probably get countered to death. But I'd love someone who actually watches the sport religiously to chime in.

pretty much. i don't think floyd has the legs to move for 12 rounds though. maidana was able to trap him in both fights and if the algieri fight showed us anything it's that manny can still go at a decent pace and carry his power into the late rounds. plus i don't think manny will fight that way against floyd, the feeling going into the algieri fight was that manny would bulldoze him and i think it showed in how manny fought. manny will probably try and ambush floyd rather than walk him down imo.

still think floyd will win by 4 or 5 rounds tho.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

NickRoweFillea posted:

touts innit

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

NickRoweFillea posted:

:stare: that live gate is going to be sickening. People probably didn't even know how much they were before submitting their orders.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

SHOsports posted:

The weight is 147 pounds. All 3 welterweight titles are on the line.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Does anybody know the size of the ring yet?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

thehappyprince posted:

Don't really know what to feel now that's official but Mayweather 10-2 or 11-1 seems pretty loose. I'm thinking something in the realm of 116-114.

EDIT:

Jack of Hearts posted:

I think we can all thank Canelo for making Floyd take this fight purely out of ego/spite.

I'd actually say Cotto is more a "hero" here since Canelo/Cotto is big enough that even Mayweather/Pacquiao would suffer a little bit. When he pulled out of the negotiations and Canelo opted for Kirkland there was definitely a pretty gaping hole in that May 2nd date.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 21, 2015

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I think we can all thank Canelo for making Floyd take this fight purely out of ego/spite.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I am extremely glad I got out of Las Vegas, that city may not have an empty hotel room come the fight as everyone comes in to bet on it.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

thehappyprince posted:

pretty much. i don't think floyd has the legs to move for 12 rounds though. maidana was able to trap him in both fights and if the algieri fight showed us anything it's that manny can still go at a decent pace and carry his power into the late rounds. plus i don't think manny will fight that way against floyd, the feeling going into the algieri fight was that manny would bulldoze him and i think it showed in how manny fought. manny will probably try and ambush floyd rather than walk him down imo.

What makes you think Floyd doesn't have the legs for 12 rounds? That statement just seems crazy to me

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The SituAsian posted:

I'd actually say Cotto is more a "hero" here since Canelo/Cotto is big enough that even Mayweather/Pacquiao would suffer a little bit. When he pulled out of the negotiations and Canelo opted for Kirkland there was definitely a pretty gaping hole in that May 2nd date.

Well, HBO running Canelo-Kirkland as non-PPV counter-programming to Floyd-Khan or whatever would have dented Floyd's buy numbers significantly, and rumor has it that aside from the Canelo fight they haven't been exactly stellar to begin with. It put pressure on Floyd to make a real fight, and outside of Pac and maybe another fight with Cotto, there just weren't any big names left. To my thinking, his choice was either to give up the day, or endure the humiliation of "only" doing 700K buys against whomever else he could dig up.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

mike- posted:

What makes you think Floyd doesn't have the legs for 12 rounds? That statement just seems crazy to me

the fact he's flat footed for the majority of his fights these days

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

thehappyprince posted:

the fact he's flat footed for the majority of his fights these days

I guess we will never agree because I think floyds footwork has been incredible

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I absolutely disagree that Pacquiao isn't good at cutting off the ring. He's excellent. He's just not a fighter who thrives on trapping his opponents on the ropes or corners. Manny would rather fight you at range and then ambush you. He's most known for his lateral movement and in-and-out offensive style.

The dumb money on this fight is probably following Pacquiao but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a good chance at winning.

I'll have a thread up for this bitch tomorrow.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Hotel and flight booked for the fight. Now praying I can grab tickets when they get released.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Ninth Layer posted:

I absolutely disagree that Pacquiao isn't good at cutting off the ring. He's excellent. He's just not a fighter who thrives on trapping his opponents on the ropes or corners. Manny would rather fight you at range and then ambush you. He's most known for his lateral movement and in-and-out offensive style.

He's better at cutting off the ring than a lot of guys but I think that's why he had 'trouble' with Bradley and got his rear end knocked out in the last JMM fight--and generally had at least some trouble with him all along. Being amazing at setting up angles which he totally is isn't really the same thing. It seems like he's at his best when people chase or are at least willing to stand around and engage him but for different reasons than with Floyd. He's so damned good at dancing around a guy in front of him and beating the hell out of him. As far as styles go I'd think this favors Floyd.

Sound like we'll finally get to see though and obviously I'd love to be wrong.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Surfing Turtle posted:

Hotel and flight booked for the fight. Now praying I can grab tickets when they get released.

They sold out within 15 minutes. You're SOL.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

Forceholy posted:

They sold out within 15 minutes. You're SOL.

Tickets aren't on sale yet. The MGM Grand sold out in 15 minutes not the fight.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2015/02/mayweather-pacquiao-tickets-going-for-8k-on-resale-site-photo/

lol they must be confident in their tout game. when do tickets actually go on sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Man I wish I had like five thousand dollars lying around that I didn't have any use for.

• Locked thread