Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Arist posted:

Ehh, this is still kinda wonky for me. I think bringing everyone back is just kind of replicating the earlier problems with this arc of too much going on with too many characters doing not enough. Also, I don't actually understand the mechanics of whatever Izuku is doing? Like, he's running away, but is that purely for self-preservation? That feels too basic and kind of lame for the big climax. What is he actually trying to accomplish here? If the goal is to make me ask that, I don't think that's a very intriguing question. I don't have any context, so there's no tension.

presumably he's running up to all for one to deliver the biggest most finalest punch to end the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TheHan posted:

presumably he's running up to all for one to deliver the biggest most finalest punch to end the series

That kinda makes sense but I think Hori didn't present it very well if so

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Arist posted:

Ehh, this is still kinda wonky for me. I think bringing everyone back is just kind of replicating the earlier problems with this arc of too much going on with too many characters doing not enough. Also, I don't actually understand the mechanics of whatever Izuku is doing? Like, he's running away, but is that purely for self-preservation? That feels too basic and kind of lame for the big climax. What is he actually trying to accomplish here? If the goal is to make me ask that, I don't think that's a very intriguing question. I don't have any context, so there's no tension.
i do not think izuku is running away? beyond that it's clearly echoing sludge guy

TheHan posted:

he tailor made this moment for you say run lol, i like it.
also this lol

stuker fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 26, 2024

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Imagine if it had been an All Might Hoodie

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Vinylshadow posted:

Koichi handing him an AM hoodie after coming through a portal, the tears would be too beautiful for this world

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Vinylshadow posted:

Deku isn't worthy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I had trouble visually following the action parts of this chapter. Shigaraki did...A Thing, and then a bunch of heroes did Another Thing to divert the attack.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I do love Sero just being like Nah man that seems dumb as hell, I'm not really following like... you're psycho poo poo but it sounds real dumb

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Several cool ideas done very clumsily with some very dumb stuff thrown in, pure distilled MHA.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Feel like we should have hit this point a while back. Which is a weird feeling cause I was complaining about Hori just shotgunning everything else before this so idk...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

As always, curious how this'll read when binged as a whole rather than week-to-week

Especially with clear art and translation helping with the flow

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Arist posted:

Also, I don't actually understand the mechanics of whatever Izuku is doing? Like, he's running away, but is that purely for self-preservation?

I don't know how you can possibly read this series and come to that conclusion.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

the answer is I didn't make the connection to the song, it scans a tiny bit better having been reminded of that

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

As always, curious how this'll read when binged as a whole rather than week-to-week

Especially with clear art and translation helping with the flow

Probably still poo poo, but I think the anime might be better because the action scenes will be possible to parse.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I really wish the rest of this fight was less godawful and less hamfisted because this is a nice moment, at least he gets to punch once before working as bakugo's PR person, the greatest hero

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Arist posted:

the answer is I didn't make the connection to the song, it scans a tiny bit better having been reminded of that

Tbh even without expecting the song to be playing, the structure of the chapter makes it pretty clear what's happening imo. Like, Deku says he's lost one for all but he still has the last embers of it. Then aizawa gives him a shirt and some bandages saying the refugees gathered up what they could to support him. Then there's a montage of people cheering on Deku, telling him to do his best before a full page of Deku running forward with a resolute expression and body language. I don't really know how you read all that and go "why is he running away though?"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"My embers have not gone out" is something he's saying with a determined look on his face because he still has fight left in him. Fleeing isn't in the cards.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just was underthinking it, that's all fair. This has still been dragged out too much for me to really buy back in, either way.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Deku delivers a last One for All Smash, defeating AfO and... hang on what was the loving point of everything he was trying to loving do then?

The little touch like the All Might shirt are adorable, but seriously, if Deku burns through One for All punching AfO, after all this waffling and poo poo that is gonna be so loving disappointing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

syntaxfunction posted:

Deku delivers a last One for All Smash, defeating AfO and... hang on what was the loving point of everything he was trying to loving do then?

The little touch like the All Might shirt are adorable, but seriously, if Deku burns through One for All punching AfO, after all this waffling and poo poo that is gonna be so loving disappointing.

I'm assuming the punch won't do anything on the surface, but the feelings behind it bring back Tomura or something.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm assuming the punch won't do anything on the surface, but the feelings behind it bring back Tomura or something.

Yeah I kind of figured as much, because of course it loving would. Of course Deku would punch someone and bring back their force ghost because of course.

He is really not looking like the greatest hero, just a guy that was there for random poo poo to happen around. Class 1-A doing their best is absolutely gonna have the wind sucked out because of deux ex machina poo poo, it sucks.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
45 year old Deku, working at the gas station since he never learned any useful skills. Forcing his kids into being heroes to live out his dreams vicariously after he burned through his Quirk in about a year. "Back when I was your age, I was the greatest hero!" Yeah, okay dad, sure. I don't want to go to hero cram school. I want to go see the new Crawler movie with my friends.

I feel like this last year or two of the manga is just an object lesson in how you need to string cool moments together for people to give a gently caress.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, it's gotta be more than cool moments, we've been seeing "cool moments" nonstop for like two years now, the problem is that so little of it feels meaningful or rooted in anything.

I think this chapter was relatively impactful, all things considered, but think about how much harder it would hit if more than like three of these people felt in any way important.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I can't wait for Shigaraki to reveal that he still has two transformations left.

I also can't wait for that to actually happen and feel despair that my dumb joke came true. :shepicide:

I was looking back at my old posts to find that shitpost image someone made of Miruko over Bakugo's dead body, and now I'm mad that this actually happened.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/gutsbro14/status/1559632488108007427

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Thanks!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

His punch will allow Nana to jump over and find Tomura, yeah. She couldn't get across because Shigaraki rejected her and his will was too strong so she's the only ghost left but now it's just AfO and he's dead inside.

edit: Actually nevermind, I think she was destroyed a few chapters ago? So I guess it will just be Izuku ramming his own ghost in to find Tomura again.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 27, 2024

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nephthys posted:

His punch will allow Nana to jump over and find Tomura, yeah. She couldn't get across because Shigaraki rejected her and his will was too strong so she's the only ghost left but now it's just AfO and he's dead inside.

I'm like 99% sure nana already went over and is gone

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Either it will involve some bullshit "actually they survived, somehow" poo poo or Deku will literally just punch AfO to death with the last of OFA.

He wrote himself into a corner the moment AfO came back "somehow". I can't think of any way to resolve the whole thing that won't be a completely lame cop-out for almost everyone. You had Shiggy there as a villain already, and you hosed it up, somehow.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I do wonder what a rewrite would look like if you removed All for One entirely from the finale. So Shigaraki just stumbles away after the war without AfO bodyjacking him, probably still goes and busts up the prison but kills AfO instead of releasing him to cement himself as the final villain. Then I guess the finale happens like it did except without anyone fighting AfO. You could just have more of the MLA get away so Endeavor is fighting Re-Destro etc. We miss out on the All Might fight which sucks but maybe the finale being more succinct would be better and focusing more on the League and MLA would have been more interesting to me tbh.

It would be much harder to write Deku saving Shigaraki as a plot point, maybe have a mini-arc about Deku trying to figure out his backstory or still have him jump into his soul to save him and ghost AfO is just metaphorical for his trauma.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 27, 2024

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I enjoyed actual AfO and it gave us All Might in the cool robot suit and bakugo vs baby, but shigaraki getting the dude implanted in his skull did not need to happen

just have them visit the Ghost Zone™ and discover AfO's manipulations, deku punches him one last time, Shigaraki gives up his will to kill everyone, shaken in the face of true heroism or w/e

probably don't need Deku to give away all his superpowers for, uh, reasons, too, but feel free if you wanna ignore "oh poo poo this could do a lot of good if it still existed" stuff

roll credits

it'd be dumb because saving shigaraki at this point has always been dumb but it'd be better than this

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

syntaxfunction posted:

Yeah I kind of figured as much, because of course it loving would. Of course Deku would punch someone and bring back their force ghost because of course.

He is really not looking like the greatest hero, just a guy that was there for random poo poo to happen around. Class 1-A doing their best is absolutely gonna have the wind sucked out because of deux ex machina poo poo, it sucks.

This is why the narration came back after his solo adventure and changed it to "this is how we all became the greatest heroes!" He knows he ain't living up to his own hype and now he's saying it was more of a group effort.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Nephthys posted:

I do wonder what a rewrite would look like if you removed All for One entirely from the finale. So Shigaraki just stumbles away after the war without AfO bodyjacking him, probably still goes and busts up the prison but kills AfO instead of releasing him to cement himself as the final villain. Then I guess the finale happens like it did except without anyone fighting AfO. You could just have more of the MLA get away so Endeavor is fighting Re-Destro etc. We miss out on the All Might fight which sucks but maybe the finale being more succinct would be better and focusing more on the League and MLA would have been more interesting to me tbh.

It would be much harder to write Deku saving Shigaraki as a plot point, maybe have a mini-arc about Deku trying to figure out his backstory or still have him jump into his soul to save him and ghost AfO is just metaphorical for his trauma.

Without AFO, S&S would've killed Shigaraki in ways that are illegal in Japan, which would've been a wildly unorthodox ending to the series and considering all that came afterwards, probably for the best.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Somehow Deku will get reversed in a super plot specific way as to reveal he really did have a quirk that was stolen and he'll regrow it, and his quirk will be something stupid like manifesting quirk ghosts in reality and then he brings back all of the dead one for all hosts to have a cool party for shigaraki.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nuebot posted:

Somehow Deku will get reversed in a super plot specific way as to reveal he really did have a quirk that was stolen and he'll regrow it, and his quirk will be something stupid like manifesting quirk ghosts in reality and then he brings back all of the dead one for all hosts to have a cool party for shigaraki.

Gamemasterdeku's ultimate gambit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

Gamemasterdeku's ultimate gambit...

lol