Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rhonne posted:

It's pretty unsatisfying to have Deku finally get through to Shiggy only for him to ultimately reject being saved("I have to keep being a hero to the villains of the world") just so we can have All For One come back with the "It was me all along!" villain speech to be the actual thing that gets Shigaraki to stop trying to destroy the world. What, are we going to find out All For One made Shiggy's dad beat him, too?

Honestly....yeah we probably will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rhonne posted:

What, are we going to find out All For One made Shiggy's dad beat him, too?

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised. AFO will probably also be behind Bakugo bullying Deku in school, Ochako being poor, Mineta being a pervert, Gentle failing to have a successful YouTube career, Endeavor being a dick to Inasa, Momo's insecurities, and Mina not getting as much screentime as she deserves.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I figured this was a given for literal years since the insanely conspicuous page in Shigaraki's original flashback when he fought Redestro showing the mysterious suit/hat guy bringing him home one day. Can't say I like the twist but eh, it kind of works either way even if I'd have preferred Shiggy being a mutant like Eri since I think that works much better with the narrative. Eri's power could've easily turned her into a psychologically hosed up villain, but she wanted to be saved and was. Shiggy wanted to be saved, but he wasn't. Saving people's lives vs saving people's hearts, etc etc.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-418/chapter/42196?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1020706

what a "twist"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i know that my expectations for this story were perhaps too high to start with, but i think that when you call your setting "hero SOCIETY" then you should not assign blame for literally every single possible societal ill on a Really lovely Guy

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
You thought the last boss would be Shimura Tenko, but it was me, Dio AFO!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I already made the obligatory Rise of Skywalker joke, so I'll turn around and point out that All for One saying that All Might missed his opportunity to bow out of the story gracefully really is a hilariously ironic remark, in hindsight.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I'll be honest, AfO popping up again is undermining what could have been a fantastic thematic moment.

Shigaraki, even once you get past his trauma, is still committed to the path he chose and the people he loves. You can't just fix one person's hurt and declare the issue solved when the issue is systematic; when for every Shigaraki you save at the right moment there are one, ten, one hundred who no one decided to help. His Origin is where he started, but he's grown beyond it!

...except, no, he would have been totally fine and fixed if only there hadn't been The Evilest Man.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
AFO is reverse jesus, he took it upon himself to commit all of mankind's sins personally.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Coming back on Easter sunday... :thunk:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mymla posted:

AFO is reverse jesus, he took it upon himself to commit all of mankind's sins personally.

lmfao

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mymla posted:

This is correct

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This better be a fakeout of sorts, if they really go "actually, AFO made Tomura's dad be abusive" then it's so over. Up 'till now I still thought it was fine landing what it wanted to land

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
AfO did sorta make Shigaraki's dad be abusive, though indirectly. The main reason Shiggy's dad was a hosed up abuser is because Nana was forced to leave him to do hero stuff/fight AfO, and then AfO killed her so there was never any chance to reunite or reconcile.

I doubt we'll see "AfO mind controlled Shigaraki's dad to beat him" here. I'm assuming the big reveal will be that AfO gave him decay.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

This better be a fakeout of sorts, if they really go "actually, AFO made Tomura's dad be abusive" then it's so over. Up 'till now I still thought it was fine landing what it wanted to land

Turns out he also used that same quirk to influence Endeavor.

Not part of a scheme, just to be funny.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
There's something that bothered me for the longest time. AFO picked up Shigaraki way before All Might caved his skull in, so that leads to the question why he decided to take Shigaraki in as his protege. After thinking about it, my guess is he wasn't planning to make Shigaraki his protege, but an assassin meant to kill All Might and mock him with his former master's family at the same time. It was only after losing to All Might that he decided to make Shigaraki an actual protege and had to course correct hard from a weapon to an actual person.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dr Garaki said that Dabi and the orphanage were backups incase things fell through with Shigaraki and there's no reason to believe he was lying.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If you're a supervillain with near full control of society and a very extended lifespan you start doing things like this just to set up contingencies that you can take advantage of in the future to gently caress with people. Keeps ya interested and active.

It's like how he sent an assassin after Deku, who was programmed to bait Deku onto a wild goose chase only to blow up the house once he was there.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Just handing out abusive dad quirks

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kild posted:

Just handing out abusive dad quirks

It was integral to his research on how to reproduce quirks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I don’t see why people are so down on the AFO twist with Shigaraki, it was telegraphed from miles away and it’s just another link in the chain of AFO loving with OFA holders to turn Nana’s grandson into a family killing decay bomb

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Frankly though I’m just glad MHA can solve racism, economic depression and climate change by punting one guy really hard

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Just because something is telegraphed doesn't mean it's good. Like I said before, it's pretty unsatisfying that the thing that will finally get Shigaraki to stand down isn't Deku, but because All For One betrays him and reveals that he was actually the cause of his childhood trauma all along.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Just because something is telegraphed doesn't mean it's good.

This is the main point of contention. I imagine just about everyone realized it was heavily possible for AFO to work his way back into the story given that there were two of him. The problem is that AFO has, to date, had four defeats (All Might's retirement, Endeavor forcing him to use Rewind, Shiggy reasserting control, Bakugo beating up a baby) and he still is shoving his potato head into the story to make the story revolve around him at every twist and turn.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don’t see why people are so down on the AFO twist with Shigaraki, it was telegraphed from miles away

It being telegraphed has no bearing on whether or not it's interesting or good writing.

I agree that it fits easily into the narrative that's been written in current manga, but I would point out I think that statement alone is an indicator of its poor quality.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It’s bad but I’ve been operating on the assumption this was going to be the case for years so it’s hard to be particularly affected by it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
"We beat the poo poo out of this baby, we were right to do it and by god we'd do it again if that baby showed its face in front of us again."

Hero Society is powerful

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Your honor, it was a really evil baby

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
That baby was essentially Pandora's Box. By allowing that baby to live and not murdering it immediately we caused evil, disease, famine, and kicking your toe on the corner of the table or couch into this world.

In a just world we would baby together to create some sort of time manipulation device to go back and thwart his evil baby deeds, but the best we can settle for is reverting that man back to a baby and doing it then.

God bless America Japan.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Even if AfO were just reversed to a baby, and thus opening up the chance for "rehabilitation", it'd be raised in "Generation Alpha (or Beta?)" so who knows if it'd even have a chance of being a better person.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think the thematic issues are basically covered by Tenko admitting that even if he let go of his hatred he still wants to be a "hero" for the "villains" (hilarious that Magne wasn't there though).

Even if AFO engineered him getting Decay and that caused all the horrible poo poo that happened to him, it still happened. I'm not sure what acknowledging AFO's presence here adds because Tenko is still Tenko and he still had a hosed up life; vanquishing AFO yet again brings us back around to Tenko still wanting to be a hero to HIS friends. I'll consider this something of a failure if the end is just "uhhh yeah the league all died so we don't have to think about what would happen to them afterward" or "they're thrown into a ultramax but they kinda feel bad about what they did now so they're cool with it". I can't imagine Horikoshi not at least signaling in the ending that the world changed in the way that ordinary people wouldn't let someone like Tenko suffer on their own again, but who knows.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The League all integrates into society without issue, except Toga who is still shunned. Not because of the blood sucking, but because she's still a weirdo aside from that.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

oh jay posted:

The League all integrates into society without issue, except Toga who is still shunned. Not because of the blood sucking, but because she's still a weirdo aside from that.

Meanwhile Dabi:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Scholtz posted:

Even if AfO were just reversed to a baby, and thus opening up the chance for "rehabilitation", it'd be raised in "Generation Alpha (or Beta?)" so who knows if it'd even have a chance of being a better person.

We also got to see All for Baby express clearly that he was still evil and still trying to kill people. no redemption!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

oh jay posted:

hosed up future Japan is still homophobic

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

TheHan posted:

We also got to see All for Baby express clearly that he was still evil and still trying to kill people. no redemption!

Honestly I would've been down for "eri reverts them to children" idea if AFO had simply still been evil for no reason even while being raised lovingly and attentively. terrible on a thematic level sure but incredibly, incredibly funny

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
AfO's actual quirk is being genetically evil and all the power stealing stuff is just a random mutation.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Kanos posted:

AfO's actual quirk is being genetically evil and all the power stealing stuff is just a random mutation.

That's two completely unrelated quirks. Next you'll be telling me that someone could have both fire and ice powers, but I'm supposed to believe it's just one singular quirk somehow.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
For someone who's been plotting like he's speeding to the end, Horikoshi sure likes to drag this poo poo out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Horikoshi is a great character designer. I hope for his next manga he works with a writer and learns how to draw action sequences