Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Rhonne posted:

Unless Overhaul can somehow still use his quirk with no arms, I'm not sure how Nagant survives this. I guess she might live long enough to give them info on where All For One is, but I doubt he actually told her where he is if he predicted her having a change a heart and planting a bomb on her.

I'm just not sure why Horikoshi would have paired the two of them unless this was leading to some sort of redemption/anything for Overhaul. As things stand right now, if she just dies I don't know why anyone's gonna bring him to his boss which makes his inclusion confusing beyond the one moment of misdirection in this chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Wasn't All Might the only hero Stain actually respected? Not sure I see where the murder angle is coming from

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i'm worried about all might :(

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

yeah i thought this chapter was fun as hell

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Kyte posted:

That's exactly the kind of thing that I expect from him.

yeah the leaks i originally saw didn't have anything about the jeart and i was very confused why everyone was so angry. the AFO side of things feels pretty appropriate and while the execution on the page may suck i've got no problem with the premise of AFO just grabbing a costume and a random power and going wild

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

on the fast scans i completely missed that shinsou only tricked machia initially with the voice change and then just used his quirk, that's cool-- i assumed he was just continuing to mimic AFO

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i'd be surprised if toga is dead, i can't remember horikoshi really killing off any villain who is in the process of redemption (gentle/la brava, nagant, etc)-- hell even gigantomachia seems to be having his moment

e: not to mention the upcoming allmight/stain teamup

stuker fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 22, 2023

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Okay, but how many villains have died in MHA previously, though? Isn't it just Magne, Skeptic, and Twice?

MVA ups the count with curious at least, but villains not dying is kinda what i mean-- this entire thing could definitely end with dabi and toga dead, but to me it feels against type for the series

i think we're probably gonna see the same thing with kurogiri before we even get to what everyone wants: Mechall-Might

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

yeah he also had the fun encounter with Stain, who i am still convinced shows up for this fight

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

feels like i'm missing something-- when did AM fire a cannon in AFO's mouth? that sounds extremely badass but i've read the chapter 3 times and can't pick it out

owned tho

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Rhonne posted:

You don't actually see him fire it though as we cut right over to Aoyama

oh lmao for some reason I read that as AM eating an uppercut, that is excellent

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

so i'm probably mixed up on something, but wouldn't AM's vestige fading be a good omen? they're basically ghosts so a vestige disappearing seems like it would be rejecting death

also Bakugo only learned how to use his power to kill himself like 30min/1yr ago, there's no way AM had time to incorporate that

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Nephthys posted:

I'm suspicious that this is a fakeout, personally. Why not end the chapter on All Might exploding if he was actually going to? Thats the perfect ending to a chapter. You can't have him blow up at the start of a chapter that's just awkward!

it also seems insane from a narrative perspective to have two different chars say "you should keep on living" just last chapter, only for this to be a suicide maneuver

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i can't remember if his overusing his powerup or shigaraki killed him, but i am expecting that the jeart will just make him combat ready for baby AFO

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Green Intern posted:

Well you see, AFO was in range to use his Gloop Warp.

it's pretty simple

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

hori has no pages

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Onmi posted:

I am so very happy that this is the route taken and have now grown to like this final fight because, narratively, it comes together.

So All for One's entire thing is he uses narrative tropes and styles himself around the comic book ideal that he is the demon king and he'll face the chosen hero. That X won't work and Y can't stop him. But he doesn't get to lose because Deku punches him in the jaw and that took him down, he doesn't lose because All Might got his quirk back. He's going to lose because of all these "Extra's". Because all these little people who none of them COULD stop him, all their ultimate attacks couldn't keep him down, but they chipped away at him each time, they stalled him, they forced him to give up more and more and he's been denied every victory he's wanted, instead of Doomsday slaughtering the heroes before finally going down to Superman, he's going to go down to all these tiny pathetic people and their stupid bullshit that he's so above. He doesn't get to go down to One For All, he doesn't get his final bombastic showdown, he gets a slow, death by 1000 cuts of people who just refused to let him have his way.

Of course, the narrative doesn't change that I still think this has been rushed through and that Hori's killing himself trying to get to the end and the legitimate issues people can have with it, but, I like it.

i really like this take because it makes bakugo's line at the end of the chapter even better. AFO is the hero of his own little game, and despite getting owned twice he's back and mowing through everyone-- he didn't save his elixirs tho. shigaraki was the only one with a True Gamer Mindset

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i'm not even sure who is saying "oof"/"urk" but everything between that and puking up edgeshot was the perfect amount of levity. if there had been more moments like this mixed into everything this last arc i think folks would view it a lot differently, though AM is a cheat code in that regard

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

the chapters themselves have been sick, but i like getting some comedy lines back in the mix. last ch was great and this week i got a lol out of "he went beyond me, literally"

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Lt. Lizard posted:

AfO treated him like that, and considering the massive difference in power, he wasn't completely wrong to do so. The obvious way to refute it would be for Bakugo to finish AfO due to combination of his Quirk evolution and AfO not taking him seriously/being already quite spent, but instead we seem to have AfO being hampered by ghosts from his past again, which I feel is lot less satisfying.

the only clear plot shift is just that he's going back to targeting bakugo instead of shigaraki, taunting the big guy happens all the time. i assume AFO is gonna attack bakugo with the same force he did AM because of those demons

stuker fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 13, 2023

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Scholtz posted:

New page, spoilers are done

imo posts like this are way more annoying than having to hover over text

agree overall on the idea of "tags aren't necessary a page after the ch link" and i'm admittedly guilty on this very page. but also i am not planning to confirm whether or not i am first post on a new page before using/not using spoiler tags, and i think sometimes spoiler tag usage will just flow from quotes

stuker fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 14, 2023

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i have no clue on the translation but it would be very funny if bakugo got resurrected only to go fast for a bit, say AFO is too strong for him, then get his rear end kicked

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

Alternatively, could he spit in Shigaraki's eye and transfer it?

another jump comic already used that this week unfortunately

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Redestro’s nose turning into Overhaul was pretty funny.

shigaraki realizing what thehan mentioned and half-pivoting is going to be my personal canon

stuker fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 16, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Valentin posted:

I have to say I would find AFO gave shiggy his quirk extremely extremely bad and very underwhelming on a thematic level so I'm hoping this isn't going there despite all appearances

i weirdly like it, but i couldn't say why. i guess it helps soften the whole "redeeming a human atom bomb" thing

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Poops Mcgoots posted:

The AFO quirk ghost basically feels like the culmination of what AFO was trying to accomplish in the first place. He wasn't just rampaging to be a nuisance; he was actively trying to get to shigaraki to give him the remaining portion of all for one, which AFO (the character) hoped would essentially let him bodyjack shigaraki iirc. I assume we'll get an actual explanation, but best I can figure is that Deku breaking shigaraki's deeply held notion that he's a vile person who can only destroy and no one cares about him left him in a weakened state and it was enough to let all for one get a proper foothold.

yup it was pretty well established that there is some part of AFO's psyche within shigaraki at this point, he was just angry/whatever enough to overpower it and now deku is loving with all that

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

PringleCreamEgg posted:

There are early text spoilers out on reddit and I have to post about them.

Shiggy’s dad didn’t even want more kids but AfO told him to have another kid explicitly so he could give them a quirk, which was originally identical to Overhaul’s quirk but they modified out the reconstruction aspect so it would just disintegrate. This knowledge caused a complete ego collapse of Shigaraki who then disintegrates into nothing, Deku is kicked out of the mind world missing his arms for some reason. AfO is in control of Shiggy but Cero suddenly ties up ShiggyfO with his tape and then Sugar Rush and Ojiro arrive as backup. I saw some pictures of armless Deku so this might actually be real lmao

to coincide with the solar eclipse, we have the convergence of MHA and JJK

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

cool kids inc. posted:

This is missing an important detail.

Aizawa rolls up out of a (very Kurogiri looking) portal at the very end, apologizing for his late return with Sero, Ojiro, and Sato.

present mic died offscreen convincing kurogiri

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

some kid like deku watching his hero get his arms destroyed while also not doing anything to what the audience sees as the apocalypse is just the tenko 2.0 origin

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i didnt hate this chapter but

if we get this scene and nothing from the cruller then vigilantes should have just done its own thing (which i guess it did)

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

he is that dog in him (shigaraki)

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Rhonne posted:

Eri really learned all the wrong lessons from Deku. That kid is hardcore.

she did really like the buster sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Arist posted:

Ehh, this is still kinda wonky for me. I think bringing everyone back is just kind of replicating the earlier problems with this arc of too much going on with too many characters doing not enough. Also, I don't actually understand the mechanics of whatever Izuku is doing? Like, he's running away, but is that purely for self-preservation? That feels too basic and kind of lame for the big climax. What is he actually trying to accomplish here? If the goal is to make me ask that, I don't think that's a very intriguing question. I don't have any context, so there's no tension.
i do not think izuku is running away? beyond that it's clearly echoing sludge guy

TheHan posted:

he tailor made this moment for you say run lol, i like it.
also this lol

stuker fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 26, 2024