Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress do I hate leveling scale :argh: just let me be overpowered if I want to. Or maybe I want to explore an area in case I missed something. Making me do a bunch of meta gaming bullshit just so the difficulty doesn't get out of hand is just so stupid.

Edit: and yes the star fox DS game was a thing and it was also a horrible lovely game. It was a strategy game where you sent out fighter pilots to protect the main ship. When one of your fighter pilot intercepted a target then you got to play actually star fox. Except you only got 60 seconds of actually star fox gameplay before you instantly die. And that timer does not reset after you win or switch pilots. So 59 seconds as star fox meant that falco was going to die. And they had lots of stupid enemies that just ran from you.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Can the monsters steal items you currently have equipped, or is it just unused stuff in your inventory?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

ultrafilter posted:

Can the monsters steal items you currently have equipped, or is it just unused stuff in your inventory?

I'm pretty sure they can only steal items, and you don't equip items.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Yep, good ol' level scaling. And cards that break the game. Hmmm... At least FFVIII was better than some people give it credit for, unlike this steaming pile of garbage.

And enemies stealing items you don't get back for beating them? That's just plain awful. :cripes: If it only gets worse from here, I'm honestly kind of horrified.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Yep, good ol' level scaling. And cards that break the game. Hmmm... At least FFVIII was better than some people give it credit for, unlike this steaming pile of garbage.

And enemies stealing items you don't get back for beating them? That's just plain awful. :cripes: If it only gets worse from here, I'm honestly kind of horrified.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you aint seen nothing yet~

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shwqa posted:

Edit: and yes the star fox DS game was a thing and it was also a horrible lovely game. It was a strategy game where you sent out fighter pilots to protect the main ship. When one of your fighter pilot intercepted a target then you got to play actually star fox. Except you only got 60 seconds of actually star fox gameplay before you instantly die. And that timer does not reset after you win or switch pilots. So 59 seconds as star fox meant that falco was going to die. And they had lots of stupid enemies that just ran from you.
Star Fox Command still looks like a work of art compared to this game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Endorph posted:

Star Fox Command has an ending where Fox and Falco become F-Zero G-Zero racers so that puts it several steps above this game.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Yeah, I'm another Lunar fan who was looking forward to this until I actually started to play it. I was looking forward to a new Lunar so much...

I think I maybe got to the first dungeon before giving up and putting it away forever. I eventually dumped it on a friend in a Secret Santa, then had to scream "NO DON'T PLAY IT I GAVE IT TO YOU TO GET RID OF IT" at her when she actually put it on her list of things to play.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

MarsDragon posted:

I eventually dumped it on a friend in a Secret Santa
You are a horrible person.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

also i have never played a lunar game and i feel this is a fair game on which to base all future opinions of the series on

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Shwqa posted:

The secret was to kill every enemy in every encounter. This restores time and gives those instant kill missiles. It was not a bad game, but it wasn't Star Fox. And I remember the bosses being extremely obnoxious too.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Ah yes, the permanent item theft. When that happened the game successfully broke me. I had somehow rationalized the HP loss on running, the terrible combat, the bizarre spell balance, the level scaling that deprived me of ever really feeling like I was making progress, the cards existing, but even my high tolerance for bullshit and mediocrity knew that all of those things compounded with permanent item loss was adding up to something terrible in a game that was already boring and tedious. I sold it the next day and never looked back.

The fact that people are saying it's going to get worse is oddly reassuring. I look forward to seeing what deeper hells I missed out on.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So the devs realized that you need to do jobs to get money, so they made enemies that respawn. Not only that, but they realized that people would need to grind to buy things so in order to not trivialize the game, to that end they made enemies that scale. Unfortunately they apparently missed the giant spiral of doom that comes right after that system if it isn't properly tuned.

Also, those sasquatches...:pwn: has never been more appropriate.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

God drat, I only just stumbled upon this thread and this game already looks like Beyond the Beyond. :psyduck: I had thought Dragon Song was the mediocre GBA remake of Silver Star, not something like... like this.

Camel Pimp, I fear for your sanity.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

God drat, I only just stumbled upon this thread and this game already looks like Beyond the Beyond. :psyduck: I had thought Dragon Song was the mediocre GBA remake of Silver Star, not something like... like this.

Camel Pimp, I fear for your sanity.

This has already gone beyond Beyond the Beyond. The battle and XP systems alone would earn it a special place in RPG hell. And apparently it gets worse?

We're in for a ride.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm really hoping this doesn't make you go crazy and fizzle out before the end (no one would blame you), I kind of want to see how much worse the game got after the point where I put it down.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I'm really hoping this doesn't make you go crazy and fizzle out before the end (no one would blame you), I kind of want to see how much worse the game got after the point where I put it down.

I can't necessarily promise this game won't drive me mad, but I will say this; my update backlog is decent, and checking a few FAQs, it seems as though it goes to about a third of a way through the game. (Near as I can tell, this game isn't that long.) So, I probably have gotten further than you did, unless you have more patience than I did the first time I attempted to play this.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
Dear Camel Pimp,
I have concerns regarding your sanity in deciding to LP this game. Your mother and father are very worried, as are all of your friends. It's not just the fact that you have decided to showcase a game that has broken countless others; it's the lightning crackling in your bedroom window at night, and the cackling noise that echoes throughout the neighborhood. The sound of the battle music of this terrible game is permanently etched into the minds of everyone within a mile radius. This game is nothing but a blight upon the name of the universe, and can be used to conclusively prove that God is either dead or doesn't exist by its very existence. We can help you, Camel Pimp, but you have to let us in - put down Dragon Song and come out with your hands up. We'll be waiting with hugs, cake, and therapy.

We only want what's best for you.

Sincerely,
Dragon Song Deniers United

PS: Godspeed you crazy goon.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

What's worse is I just realized a game that bad likely permanently killed all possibilities of future lunar games for the fans of the series.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Why are you doing this to yourself, Camel Pimp? :ohdear: :smith:

Thank you for suffering so we don't have to. :unsmith:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Robindaybird posted:

What's worse is I just realized a game that bad likely permanently killed all possibilities of future lunar games for the fans of the series.

Kinda like Metroid: Other M. It seems time has not treated old franchises too well. :smith:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

At least this game isn't actively ruining any of the old characters I like.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

Alkarl posted:

Why are you doing this to yourself, Camel Pimp? :ohdear: :smith:
Thank you for suffering so we don't have to. :unsmith:

She's the LP'er we need.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
gently caress this game. gently caress this game. gently caress. DIS. GAEM. Seriously. I got this as a christmas gift one year...I was too stupid to know better...so yea.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Kinda like Metroid: Other M. It seems time has not treated old franchises too well. :smith:

I was honestly thinking of Rockman XOver, myself.

Because the best way to murder a beloved franchise is with lovely Facebook games. Or Lunar: Dragon Song.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Let me just make sure I'm understanding things:

To open the blue treasure chests, you need to defeat all the enemies in virtue mode. If you don't defeat each enemy in time, you have to fight more enemies. When you defeat enemies in virtue mode, you get experience and level up. When you level up, enemies scale up to your level. If enemies scale up enough, your available equipment won't be able to compensate and you won't be able to defeat enemies.

So basically the game's method of punishing you for failure is to slowly make itself unwinnable.

Well, at least the cards are so broken that it's probably pretty hard to actually get oneself in that unwinnable state. Game balance? :confuoot:

Camel Pimp posted:

Very well then! We shall defeat this monster for you!
But... that is exactly what I was going to... How ever did you know?
It was obviously going to happen. I was just speeding the process up a bit.

No, game, you are not allowed to be self-aware about your narrative tropes. You are too crap to have earned that privilege.

Man, I actually remember having this game on my to-buy list when it came out but for some reason I never actually bought it. I'm chalking it up to divine intervention.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

dijon du jour posted:

Let me just make sure I'm understanding things:

To open the blue treasure chests, you need to defeat all the enemies in virtue mode. If you don't defeat each enemy in time, you have to fight more enemies. When you defeat enemies in virtue mode, you get experience and level up. When you level up, enemies scale up to your level. If enemies scale up enough, your available equipment won't be able to compensate and you won't be able to defeat enemies.

So basically the game's method of punishing you for failure is to slowly make itself unwinnable.

Well, at least the cards are so broken that it's probably pretty hard to actually get oneself in that unwinnable state. Game balance? :confuoot:

Actually, your best available equipment is usually massively overpowered. Unfortunately, it's also very expensive too. Usually, though, if only use Virtue mode to get the chests, you won't get overleveled. However, if you, say, don't understand that level-scaling happens and you think that leveling up can compensate for not doing the deliveries, yeah that fucks you (and perhaps I know something about that...)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

If you level-scale yourself into a corner, doesn't it also make it impossible to unfuck the balance, because the collectible items become too hard to beat out of enemies?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Camel Pimp posted:

At least this game isn't actively ruining any of the old characters I like.

Don't let the game hear you :ohdear:

Too late...

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

SystemLogoff posted:

Too late...
:gonk:

By all rights even posting that image should be a bannable offense.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Hmm. I dunno, I think it could be a little worse....

:v:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Robindaybird posted:

Just reminds of how terrible that Lufia game for the GBA was. I put it down in some godawful sewer level and didn't look back.

Although generic as hell, I kinda liked where it was going with the main character's backstory, but uggggggggggh

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

*stands in a quiet auditorium, begins clapping faintly but approvingly*

*rest of the thread joins in in thunderous applause*

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Bellmaker posted:

Just reminds of how terrible that Lufia game for the GBA was. I put it down in some godawful sewer level and didn't look back.

Although generic as hell, I kinda liked where it was going with the main character's backstory, but uggggggggggh

The Old Well? That's where I quit as well. When random battles are so painfully slow that they slog even if you use an emulator's fast forward function, you know your game has a problem.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Oh man, Camel, you are insane. You've already gotten farther than I did in this game. I think this was either the first or second game I ever played on the DS, and I bailed out before I ever even left the Thieves Woods. I have no idea what the actual plot is, but there is no way it can be worse than the actual game mechanics.

Wasn't this a launch title? Or near launch? It was very early in the DS's lifespan, at least. Not that that excuses anything, but it is kinda funny that this is how the Devs planned to bring people back into the series. Between this and Suikoden Tierkreis or whatever, the DS was not kind to my childhood favorites.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I had Tierkaris - like the base idea wasn't so bad, but the utterly atrocious script and voiceacting - It was clear the actors were given an earlier draft and no pronunciation keys for any of the names and lame sidequests.

It just wasn't really a Suikoden game.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Crowetron posted:

Wasn't this a launch title? Or near launch?

It was the first JRPG available for the DS; second if we count M&L: Partners in Time as a JRPG. It's a small miracle any more were made after it.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

SystemLogoff posted:

Too late...

If I could murder you with my mind, I would be doing it right now.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The sad part is, according to everything Google-fu will tell me, it's the exact same character designer as the other Lunar games. So obviously he knew what the hell kind of project he was in for and phoned it in accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

The sad part is, according to everything Google-fu will tell me, it's the exact same character designer as the other Lunar games. So obviously he knew what the hell kind of project he was in for and phoned it in accordingly.

He was only an supervisor instead of a designer this time, according to my research. So, presumably he got drunk on cheap booze, stared at the designs they put in front of him, and muttered 'good enough' through his sobbing at being involved in this awful game.

• Locked thread