Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TheFluff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS1sJG88sRE

Splashed in the river for the last time this past Sunday. Pretty miserable weather, ~8°C and a misty sort of rain started immediately after the splash. It was snowing last Friday. Today we stepped the mast and it was sunny and 20°C. That's April for ya, around here.

Now on to greener pastures (new boat club much closer to where I actually live; I've been in on a waiting list for a spot for like five years and finally got it). Will not miss the ~100 NM spring and autumn transport trips; now I'll have both a mooring and a place on the hard in the same location.

Congrats on the splash and a new home! I don't think I've ever seen a yard with a permanent 'construction' style crane like that before. 99% of the launch/haul out videos I've ever seen had some variation of a travel lift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

The Locator posted:

Congrats on the splash and a new home! I don't think I've ever seen a yard with a permanent 'construction' style crane like that before. 99% of the launch/haul out videos I've ever seen had some variation of a travel lift.

Thanks!

It's a pretty unusual operation even by Swedish standards. Big marinas usually use sublifts (local market dominance from domestic manufacturer) or just bigass forklifts, but a pretty big majority of recreational boats aren't at marinas, they're at cooperative boat clubs. Everyone in a hard hat and hi-vis vest you see in the video is a club member working for free. Clubs vary wildly in what kind of equipment they have for getting boats in and out of the water, but what they have in common is that they don't generally tend to have a lot of capital (membership and yard fees are typically set to cover the running costs but not higher and most clubs have no employees, relying entirely on cooperative unpaid work), so whatever they have tends to stick around. I don't know how old this crane is but I'm pretty sure it's been here since at least the 1960's. It's probably cheap to operate and considering what the river bank looks like and what the land around the area is used for I don't think building a facility suited to a travel lift or sublift (or even a forklift) would be popular with the municipality. The downside is that all boats have to be trailerable to the crane, which has lead to a number of exciting home-built cradles-on-wheels that are technically legal to tow on a public road at a blazing 30 km/h but which just spend their years getting pushed a few hundred meters around the yard by a tractor or wheel loader. For boats that don't have wheeled cradles or which are too heavy to lift with this crane, the club rents a big mobile crane, but this costs extra for the owners. The new club has both a launch railway system and an eclectic collection of mobile cranes and forklifts, some of which look positively antique, so that'll be interesting to see in action.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TheFluff posted:

Splashed in the river for the last time this past Sunday. Pretty miserable weather, ~8°C and a misty sort of rain started immediately after the splash. It was snowing last Friday. Today we stepped the mast and it was sunny and 20°C. That's April for ya, around here.

Now on to greener pastures (new boat club much closer to where I actually live; I've been in on a waiting list for a spot for like five years and finally got it). Will not miss the ~100 NM spring and autumn transport trips; now I'll have both a mooring and a place on the hard in the same location.

Bless the SV Mangosteen and all who sail her.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Most (all?) of the lake cranes in Texas are just a 6-24" steel post with reinforcement on both ends and then an I beam on bearings up top

Not quite as fancy as this thing, but mechanically similar. Most of them date back to the late 80s or early 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihnr3qAZbWU

In Texas they swap hard hats for cold beers :clint:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

TheFluff posted:

Haha, what time? I think I drove right past you on Kungsängsbron while you were splashing, I remember seeing the crane moving and a boat going on.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Haha, what time? I think I drove right past you on Kungsängsbron while you were splashing, I remember seeing the crane moving and a boat going on.

Hahaha, 13:04 according to the video timestamp! You should've waved! There was activity there all day though, they launched 5-6 boats an hour most of the day.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://global.yamaha-motor.com/news/2024/0119/torqeedo.html

Yamaha apparently bought Torqueedo back in January. Which like, doesn't surprise me in the least, they're both a great product and market leader in their very slim segment

I think the J/70 came with a factory option for a Torqueedo installed, somehow

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Any of you try Products by Remora Marine for hull cleaning?

https://remoramarine.com/brush-assembly/

Its pretty expensive, but its also waterproof. Basically an underwater electric drill that uses brushes of varying coarseness/bristle stiffness to clean poo poo off the hull.

Its expensive, but maybe worth it? Requires you to either hold your breath, or maybe use a snorkel or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Any of you try Products by Remora Marine for hull cleaning?

https://remoramarine.com/brush-assembly/

Its pretty expensive, but its also waterproof. Basically an underwater electric drill that uses brushes of varying coarseness/bristle stiffness to clean poo poo off the hull.

Its expensive, but maybe worth it? Requires you to either hold your breath, or maybe use a snorkel or something.

I'm pretty sure SV Delos got one a few years ago and love it.

I'm not sure I'm willing to spend that for that device but we'll see if my tune changes after a year or two in the tropics...