Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The MSJ posted:

They never did say where you teleport to when entering the Institute HQ.

I thought it was specifically underneath MIT?

pentyne posted:

tell me you've never been to law school without telling me you've never been to law school

I would suspect that the power armor instruction manual is in Latin for the brotherhood, because of course it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alaois posted:

it also falls apart because like someone else said, the female player character option is canonically a lawyer instead of a soldier and it doesn't change how the game plays at all, they're both equally able to shoot guns and use power armor

There's a part in the game where you can try to talk your way into a Brotherhood of Steel base, the woman has the option to mention she was married to a soldier, upon which they say they could use someone like her and let her in.

How does that make any sense

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

There was a leak that described basically 1 to 1 the opening of Fallout 4 months if not a full year before the game was officially revealed but the leak said there was no female player character option, only male and i think about that a lot lol

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

There's a part in the game where you can try to talk your way into a Brotherhood of Steel base, the woman has the option to mention she was married to a soldier, upon which they say they could use someone like her and let her in.

They say the same thing to a brain damaged courier that just walked in from Mojave desert.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Alhazred posted:

They say the same thing to a brain damaged courier that just walked in from Mojave desert.

No they dont lol, to contact the Brotherhood in New Vegas you either need to be brought to them by Veronica, who is a member, or you have to find one of the dead patrols, learn their temporary password from the orders they're carrying and when you do that they ambush you after you give the password, slap an explosive collar around your neck and force you to do a job for them before letting you in

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

She found the one group that will actually address her by her husband's rank

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Alaois posted:

No they dont lol, to contact the Brotherhood in New Vegas you either need to be brought to them by Veronica, who is a member, or you have to find one of the dead patrols, learn their temporary password from the orders they're carrying and when you do that they ambush you after you give the password, slap an explosive collar around your neck and force you to do a job for them before letting you in

And they literally do need someone "like that", since they're stuck in their bunker but the Courier is able to go out

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Volmarias posted:

I thought it was specifically underneath MIT?
The Canadian campus of MIT

Volmarias posted:

I would suspect that the power armor instruction manual is in Latin for the brotherhood, because of course it would be.
IIRC the brotherhood is "what if a bunch of US army sergeants and lieutenants got cut off and started a cult with a chaplains help on military brat culture distrusting civilians" so the most Latin you're going to find is 2 word fragments like semper fi.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

zedprime posted:

IIRC the brotherhood is "what if a bunch of US army sergeants and lieutenants got cut off and started a cult with a chaplains help on military brat culture distrusting civilians" so the most Latin you're going to find is 2 word fragments like semper fi.

Feels like they could have skipped the robes then, along with names like "Rhombus." But, yes, that's a lot more Mechanicus than Brotherhood, I'll admit that.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Alaois posted:

it also falls apart because like someone else said, the female player character option is canonically a lawyer instead of a soldier and it doesn't change how the game plays at all, they're both equally able to shoot guns and use power armor

I choose to believe she was basically a Harvey Birdman character, wearing full power armor in the courtroom.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

tell me you've never been to law school without telling me you've never been to law school

Turns out "Passing the bar" means getting qualified on a machine gun

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i mean there's also the classic main quest VS side quest thing.

"protag the entire universe is doomed in 24 hours, but yes lets breed legally distinct pokemon for a few months while you climb the mon battling league."

or in FO4's case, the papa/mama bear is going to kill the whole region, but do some city building and trade logistics management, also they never question how long their two unfreezing were and just assume their baby is a baby.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

PhazonLink posted:

i mean there's also the classic main quest VS side quest thing.

"protag the entire universe is doomed in 24 hours, but yes lets breed legally distinct pokemon for a few months while you climb the mon battling league."

or in FO4's case, the papa/mama bear is going to kill the whole region, but do some city building and trade logistics management, also they never question how long their two unfreezing were and just assume their baby is a baby.

That really annoys me. You were cryogenically frozen, you come out and discover centuries have passed. Why are you assuming the baby was only stolen recently? Why do you think you're definitely searching for a baby instead of just trying to find out what happened?? The latter would even make more sense with the gameplay pace, more a 'trying to solve a mystery' than 'looking for my child'.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I tried fallout 4 but nothing could make me give a single gently caress about the game with such a bland player character being forced on me. I hope the baby turned out to be some mutant terrorist or something.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

fo4 gives you power armor in like the first half hour and manages to make it suck

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Fallout 4 had the exact same hook as Witcher 3 from the same year, only done poorly. Players just wanted the sandbox, to the point there are mods that remove the plot.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

fallout 4 power armor was cool as hell actually, but giving it to the player in a gift basket ten minutes in was beyond stupid

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I never really "got" the fusion core thing in Fallout 4. So you have these fusion cores that can single-handedly power a huge automated factory for hundreds of years, maybe forever -- or it's good enough to power a single suit of powered armor for about twenty minutes.

Is that meant to be a joke, or is it just really bad design?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

credburn posted:

I never really "got" the fusion core thing in Fallout 4. So you have these fusion cores that can single-handedly power a huge automated factory for hundreds of years, maybe forever -- or it's good enough to power a single suit of powered armor for about twenty minutes.

This is literally the basis of powering Iron Man's armor in the movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Bethesda has always had a big problem with their main stories being kinda bland, and most people have fun with the games by ignoring it and doing whatever, but they still want you to pay attention to them somewhat. Both Fallout 3 and 4 have long unskippable intros. (Skyrim sorta does too, though it at least has a dragon in it.)

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

credburn posted:

My assumption is that the fusion cores that are still running facilities are on their last legs, and what the game treats as "100%" is single digit percentages. Plus aren't most of the plugged in fusion cores just running lights and terminals, basically? The factories are all mostly shut down. It's been a while though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

credburn posted:

It’s a video game

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

to tie this back into marketing i would consider it a bad marketing move for microsoft/bethesda to not have any kind of fallout product scheduled for release near the time the fallout tv show is running. or at least a big missed opportunity. this is a post edgerunners world guys cmon

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

CelticPredator posted:

It’s a video game

:monocle:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Stexils posted:

to tie this back into marketing i would consider it a bad marketing move for microsoft/bethesda to not have any kind of fallout product scheduled for release near the time the fallout tv show is running. or at least a big missed opportunity. this is a post edgerunners world guys cmon

There’s a lot of fallout products out people can get rn

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Just none of them are made by Bethesda.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Stexils posted:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-next-gen-update-out-now-see-the-patch-notes/1100-6522947/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kwyndig posted:

Just none of them are made by Bethesda.

76 has been a blast. I don’t even want to play the other ones bc as a new fan all this fan poo poo is so cringe to me lol

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Stexils posted:

Fallout 76 is getting a boost in player numbers. On PS5, there's actually a queue for New Vegas to download from the cloud.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Sales for every available Fallout game have gotten a huge boost.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

credburn posted:

Aside from the plausible explanation already given, I would take it as a joke, yeah. People act like Fallout's not supposed to be silly or exaggerated, but power armor accepting mass produced industrial batteries and sucking them down in minutes actually sounds pretty fitting and adds some suitable irony to all that resource warring. It also adds to the power armor fantasy a little.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It’s a commentary on American cars and their fuel usage stats. European power armour runs four times as long on a core half the size.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
except the german one that cheats on its metrics

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

HopperUK posted:

That really annoys me. You were cryogenically frozen, you come out and discover centuries have passed. Why are you assuming the baby was only stolen recently? Why do you think you're definitely searching for a baby instead of just trying to find out what happened?? The latter would even make more sense with the gameplay pace, more a 'trying to solve a mystery' than 'looking for my child'.

I'm pretty certain both Nick Valentine and Nate/Nora mention that they're not even sure if the baby is still a baby but it's only briefly mentioned near the beginning of the game.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1783560161115672585

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, that America before and during the war was absurdly wasteful, short-sighted and wildly misusing and squandering its incredible technological achievements is very much on brand, as it were. And nobody in the Wasteland even realises that was a problem, because America made drat well sure any alternatives were unthinkable.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The machinery of war takes seconds to consume resources that could run peaceful endeavors for centuries? Well there's certainly no deeper meaning to that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

judging by what removing the fusion cores from their generators in those civilian buildings actually does i dont think they're powering anything other than the light bulb on the wall immediately next to them

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Fallout 4 has one of the worst storylines of the entire last generation of AAA games and that's really saying something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
drat cant believe the FO universe has 200+ year old light bulbs that are incandescent filaments.

e

yeah but look at those EXTREME GRAPHIX , you can see every hair on the the husband's chin!

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 07:41 on Apr 26, 2024