Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I never got into Durara because the first episode felt like someone handing you a big pile of characters and details and going "HERE TAKE THIS" and you can't because it's too much and some of it spills out of your arms and nothing particularly interesting happens to make you feel like all this crap you're carrying is worth it. Is there a good "You have to at least watch until here" point for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Joshlemagne posted:

It got brought up in some other thread and people were speculating that when Me and the Devil Blues got cancelled he basically went "gently caress you is this what you want?" and wrote the most retarded, cliched, pandering bullshit he could think of. And that was prison school.

While Prison School is definitely pandering and retarded, I don't know about cliche. When I think of "perverted anime/manga comedies" I think of literal toxic waste like To-Love-Ru and Love Hina where I'm supposed to believe that a cast of stock characters reacting outlandishly to being accidentally groped by some completely personality-free goober is somehow hilarious.

But Prison School is... I mean, it has jokes. There are parts that are clearly intended to be funny to a human being and not someone who only watches anime and understands "humor" to be how you change the context of a molestation scene to be less offensive to the general public. Every single character is stupid to comical lengths, the things that happen are outlandish and ridiculous without quite crossing over into "cartoon logic"... I dunno. It's definitely perverted, but for whatever reason, seeing a bunch of horny teenage goons ogling their angry bombshell quasi-superhuman prison overseer while she abuses them is less offensive to me than something like seeing whatsisface from the Monogataris constantly creeping on prepubescent girls.

It's like Animal House if I liked Animal House at all, I guess. And besides, Me and the Devil Blues is starting up again soon.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

WickedHate posted:

It seems like aside from JoJo and maybe World Break, this season is gonna be a drag, at least as far as "things that I wanna watch" go. Spring's lineup seems so much cooler, with like six shows I'm interested in.

Would it be worth it to try and catch up to Kuroko no Basket? Basketball is kind of cool and could be presented actiony enough for my tastes.

if you haven't watched slam dunk

watch slam dunk

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

GorfZaplen posted:

That's too bad. I saw it was by Yoshiki Tanaka and got excited for nothing I guess.

I'm not super familiar with the source material, so I can't speak to how it stacks up as an adaptation, but Arakawa's take is a fairly dry quasi-fantasy old timey war story. Which I like, because I like those things.

In more concrete terms, much better than Hero Tales, not as good as Fullmetal Alchemist.

• Locked thread