Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

Habu is no longer in charge of producing Digimon games, and actually hasn’t been in charge since April

What happened? Did he get laid off or something?
Recently Bandai Namco announced that they were cancelling 5 in-development games. I’m hoping the new Digimon Story wasn’t one of them…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

What happened? Did he get laid off or something?
Recently Bandai Namco announced that they were cancelling 5 in-development games. I’m hoping the new Digimon Story wasn’t one of them…

He tweeted about it less than an hour ago, and said the Digimon Story game is being worked on by another producer.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Guess the game segment of Digimon Con will be the first time we'll see the new guy.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://x.com/JP_Excelsior/status/1760221945188987085?s=20

This is pretty unsurprising, but Liberator is starting up in March.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is insanely interesting, we got development notes for the second half of 02: https://digitalworldarchive.wordpress.com/2024/02/16/digimon-adventure-02-development-notes/

Lots of stuff changed, unsurprisingly, and it shows in how the show goes. Looking at this, Demon was never planned to exist (big shock...), the Dark Towers were going to connect both halves in a stronger manner, and the finale would've been completely different, removing the World of Dreams stuff but also having Taichi and Yamato steal the spotlight with loving Omegamon, so maybe it was for the best that didn't happen.

Qinglongmon's Digicores were apparently not meant to be a plot point at all. Agumon and Gabumon would've accomplished Warp Evolution through special training, not a plot device to fix a plot hole. Seems more interesting to me, even if, again, it was just to let Omegamon steal spotlight.

There's some interesting extra info too that I think was considered canon to the show, but never shown.

"In 1995, there were two children, and the number doubled each year.
In 2002, the total number was 256."

This bit is unimportant in general, but it comes up in The Beginning (with a much bigger number, since it's ten years later). I thought it was something made up for the movie, but it turns out they had it planned as far behind as the original show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, has there been any word on when The Beginning is getting a home/streaming release (assuming it's any good to begin with, I never saw the theatrical version)?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, has there been any word on when The Beginning is getting a home/streaming release (assuming it's any good to begin with, I never saw the theatrical version)?

It's really good, completely different from Last Evolution. And yes, we know about the home release (sadly no streaming one) for Japan, here's more information about that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, maybe someone will fansub it then (though we got everything else recently in the west eventually on a home platform so I imagine this will be no exception). Is it even still playing in US theaters?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Objectively, I would have hated Taichi and Yamato Omegamon'ing out of nowhere.

but honestly? it would have been hilarious and not that much worse than the actual ending we got.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

we now have profiles for Tlalocmon and Callismon.

Tlalocmon
Ultimate/Mega
Mineral Type
Data Attribute

A Mineral Digimon that can be said to be the avatar of nature, ruling over rain and thunder. It has the ability to bless dry land with rain, and inflict divine punishment upon those who destroy nature with lightning to purify them. It is usually cheerful and calm, but occasionally displays ferocity to the point of being brutal. Its dual nature, akin to embodying nature itself, awes the Digimon that inhabit the land.

While it has a cute, child-like appearance, it has extremely high specs even in battle, and its body, which is made of ore data, boasts high hardness, and it attacks by freely manipulating the grass and vines that grow all over its body.

Its Special Moves are summoning rain and thunder through a peculiar dance, and transforming them into blades to slash the enemy (Netotiliztli), and combining the energies of rain and thunder together and firing it as a massive beam (Nahui Quiahuitl).

-------

Callismon
Ultimate/Mega
Demon Beast Type
Virus Attribute

A Demon Beast Digimon with an appearance resembling a bear. Although it is considered to be a Digimon that evolved from the Gryzmon line, all Callismon are mutants that evolved from individuals that underwent data abnormalities. It is unknown whether the data abnormalities responsible for this occurred suddenly or were caused intentionally, and because its population is small, there are many mysteries surrounding it such as its ecology and evolution requirements.

It has extremely high combat ability, owing to its hugely developed arms and armaments, and exhibits a ferocious nature that will not stop attacking the opponent until they are defeated.

Its Special Moves are tearing the enemy apart with its sharp claws, causing their data to disintegrate [/b](Deep Forest)[/b], and firing homing shots from the three gun barrels equipped to its right arm (Rodeo Bullet).

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Callismon getting a DRB entry is conspicuous as hell.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

King of Solomon posted:

Callismon getting a DRB entry is conspicuous as hell.

not really, he's in the new Nightmare Soldiers pendulum

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nodosaur posted:

not really, he's in the new Nightmare Soldiers pendulum

I guess, but it's still notable that they're doing something with another digimon from V-Tamer.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

yeah, they're slowly but surely doing something with all of them. I think only Future Mode is left?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

yeah, they're slowly but surely doing something with all of them. I think only Future Mode is left?

There's a few. HolyAngemon Priest Mode, every Arkadimon but Child, Demon Super Ultimate, UlforceV-dramon Future Mode, PetitMamon, Regulumon, and I wouldn't be surprised if I was missing any.

Still, we got Dominimon and Callismon, which I thought were just lost to time, so I'm happy. I hope this continues though, I want to see these Digimon in the DCG and future games, and for that being in the DRB is a great first step.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Regulumon is the only one I expect we’ll never see, tbh

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is insanely interesting, we got development notes for the second half of 02: https://digitalworldarchive.wordpress.com/2024/02/16/digimon-adventure-02-development-notes/

I'll be honest, I never thought we would see something like this, possibly ever. It is an absolutely fascinating document…

The thing I find interesting is the way it's described it sounds like Vamdemon wouldn't have been the final antagonist, as they seem to suggest him being taken out would be to set up the grand finale and not the main event. Also, Paildramon evolving to save Jun is interesting but might've been worse in some respects just given how little screen time and relevance she actually had. I don't necessarily think the way they went about in the show was "better", but at the very least it tied into the World Tour plotline they ran and then sort of allowed to exist.

I do think it's interesting they bring up Michael going to the Digital World in 2001 because IIRC he does mention it in the show, but very little is made of it. I also think it's interesting the way the notes talk through setting details and concepts, even ones that they ultimately didn't use or incorporate into the series proper, of course there's also a couple of bits in here that were incorporated only kind of badly. At the very end of the show they bring up entirely in passing that Tailmon's Holy Ring was used to let them jogress like they say happens in the notes section, despite this not being indicated anywhere at any time prior to episode 50. If nothing else that does suggest the elements section is probably authentic given what they contain and how they were used…

What I'd love to know is when precisely these notes were written/composed, I.e. did the person who wrote episodes 26 and 27 know about the bit with the Holy Ring? And when specifically were these episodes sketched out? Naturally the further forward you go the fewer details actually make it into the finished product but a lot of the bullet points are things which I recognize even if they played out differently from how they sound in this particular outline.

Nodosaur posted:

Regulumon is the only one I expect we’ll never see, tbh

Yeah, he missed his chance unless they rename him or something. And while it's definitely not impossible in a world with PSX Golemon being real, but I'm still giving it middling odds on whether or not we get official appearances for Hermmon, Lykamon, and Panimon.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://www.gametrade.it/Product/143813/Box_Digimon_Card_Game_EX07_Digimon_Liberator

quote:

"Digimon Liberator" is now available

Digimon Liberator, an original story from the Digimon Card Game, has begun in the form of a webcomic!
This set Includes many Digimon and Tamers that appear for the first time in this series!
This booster also includes cards that go well with ST18 and ST19, allowing for new deck building possibilities!
Cards with different specifications added to the Common and Uncommon slots!

The conventional Common card slots will be included as [Limited Common] or [Limited Uncommon], which has different specification from the Common and Uncommon cards of the same set increasing the enjoyment of opening packs!
Digimon that inhabit hte "Nature Spirits" will be included!

Many nature-related Digimon, such as SaberLeomon, Eldradimon, and Tlalocmon from the LCD toy "Digimon Pendulum COLOR", are included! You can build a new deck with these Digimon that possess the "Nature Spirits" characteristic!
Enhance version of popular Digimon!

Includes popular Digimon such as the three musketeers, BeelStarmon, MangnaKidmon and Gundramon which are very popular among users!
And BeelStarmon will be included as an ACE Digimon!

Tlalocmon and the Nature Spirits! I guess there's BeelStarmon ACE too, but who cares, Tlalocmon!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Got a link to the comic then (assuming it’s available in English)?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

Got a link to the comic then (assuming it’s available in English)?

Not yet. This is a product description for something that won't be released until Liberator is well underway.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Not yet. This is a product description for something that won't be released until Liberator is well underway.

Ah ok, the wording of the first sentence made it seem like it was out right now

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

Ah ok, the wording of the first sentence made it seem like it was out right now

Right. Keep in mind that EX7 won't be releasing until the end of May in Japan, and the product page linked suggests a September release for English.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

King of Solomon posted:

https://www.gametrade.it/Product/143813/Box_Digimon_Card_Game_EX07_Digimon_Liberator

Tlalocmon and the Nature Spirits! I guess there's BeelStarmon ACE too, but who cares, Tlalocmon!

Me, I care

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
BT18 is going to be called Element Successor and there's strong implications it'll be another Frontier set.

This honestly makes a lot of sense, since the EX6 Lucemon explicitly referenced Satan Mode, but BT17 is a movie set.

Also, BT18-20 will be smashed together for Western release much like BT1-3 were.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Some Numbers posted:

BT18 is going to be called Element Successor and there's strong implications it'll be another Frontier set.

This honestly makes a lot of sense, since the EX6 Lucemon explicitly referenced Satan Mode, but BT17 is a movie set.

Also, BT18-20 will be smashed together for Western release much like BT1-3 were.

I hope they don't have supply issues and therefore the impact on the actual availability of the cards is better this time...

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Golux posted:

I hope they don't have supply issues and therefore the impact on the actual availability of the cards is better this time...

It will be better, probably. It won't be good, and the cards are gonna be kinda hard to pull, but it will be better.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Based on the announcement a little while back, Dreamers is over it seems:

https://digimon.net/digimondreamers/en/ep_025/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 4, 2024

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Based on the announcement a little while back, Dreamers is over it seems:

https://digimon.net/digimondreamers/en/ep_025/

Considering the last page, not at all! It's the, and I quote, "end of part one". Dreamers 02 coming someday hell yeah!

Admittedly, I would've been really mad if this was the actual ending. Not only did they introduce a new big bad in the last chapter, but this chapter introduces a brand new human character and the curse isn't dispelled at all. Nothing was achieved! It's great to see this isn't the case, and the manga's just moving to a new arc. I imagine it won't be immediate, Bandai likely wants only one manga to run at a time so Liberator's taking the slot, but we'll get Dreamers back soon enough.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Considering the last page, not at all! It's the, and I quote, "end of part one". Dreamers 02 coming someday hell yeah!

Admittedly, I would've been really mad if this was the actual ending. Not only did they introduce a new big bad in the last chapter, but this chapter introduces a brand new human character and the curse isn't dispelled at all. Nothing was achieved! It's great to see this isn't the case, and the manga's just moving to a new arc. I imagine it won't be immediate, Bandai likely wants only one manga to run at a time so Liberator's taking the slot, but we'll get Dreamers back soon enough.

Yeah, I hadn’t read the chapter yet when I posted this. That makes a lot more sense honestly

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Also considering that Digimon-Con is this weekend, we may get some clarity on that as well, so who knows. It may still be limited to the new cool toy that is Liberation but I also wouldn’t be surprised if we get some smaller (final?) updates for Seekers and Dreamers as well.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Will have to dig up the Twitter post where I saw this later but apparently Akira Toriyama had been Bandai's first choice to be the character designer for Digimon and the one they ended up going with was his recommendation and in retrospect you can definitely see a lot of influence from his style in the franchise's early years, especially with the human designs

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Will have to dig up the Twitter post where I saw this later but apparently Akira Toriyama had been Bandai's first choice to be the character designer for Digimon and the one they ended up going with was his recommendation and in retrospect you can definitely see a lot of influence from his style in the franchise's early years, especially with the human designs

MarcFBR debunked that, sadly

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Soontm

https://twitter.com/WithTheWill/status/1766679830047985892

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb842H3B2hI

There was a lot of news about Liberator in the card game section of digimon con. This trailer was cool.

There's going to be a companion web novel for it, a different story in the same world. The protagonist is this girl, Yuuki. She's partnered with an Impmon, and given BeelStarmon is in EX07, you can imagine what she plays.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I like the mysterious guy with the Omekamon best

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nodosaur posted:

I like the mysterious guy with the Omekamon best

I have high hopes for new ghosts from the woman with a Ghostmon. Give me a spooky ghost deck. Even if the mega is a hot woman (almost guaranteed, realistically), give me a bunch of ghosts that do ghost things along the way.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

King of Solomon posted:

I have high hopes for new ghosts from the woman with a Ghostmon. Give me a spooky ghost deck. Even if the mega is a hot woman (almost guaranteed, realistically), give me a bunch of ghosts that do ghost things along the way.

Yeah, but. Cool looking mysterious guy you expect to be the bad rear end mentor or mysterious player or something

And his partner is a loving joke Digimon

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah, but. Cool looking mysterious guy you expect to be the bad rear end mentor or mysterious player or something

And his partner is a loving joke Digimon

I'm giving that dude the side eye. He looks like Cool Boy and is partnered with an X Antibody.

Mega side eye.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4yyLct1cCg

Shiny.

You'd think they'd take the opportunity to announce something, but :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We're celebrating the 25th anniversary of the anime with no anime news whatsoever. Amazing.

Lots of new manga though. Not only Liberator (which is also getting a companion novel), but also an anthology of manga including the winner of the Digimon Manga Awards and Yabuno Tenya (almost certainly Dreamers Part 2), starting on Summer. And a novel competition to follow the manga one.

All of it feels very low-budget. Bandai again giving zero funds to one of their most important franchises, yaaaay. Game side is completely dead, no anime news in their anniversary, but we sure are getting manga. Which I'm not complaining about, Dreamers was great, but it feels a bit underwhelming.

Oh, talking about manga, read Dreamers now. They're taking it down April 3rd. Why? Who the gently caress knows! Bad decisions are this franchise's bread and butter!