Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think it's fair to at least show the protagonists from Liberator. We also got the rest of the Seven Great Demon Lords and movie!Greymon and Diablomon, but what will actually impact the future of the franchise is probably the most interesting thing here:

https://twitter.com/digimon_tcg_EN/status/1748284253538795666?t=-_mBOYdzuLRMDMNXdwe0iQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/digimon_tcg_EN/status/1748286677603459427?t=5e1BqxDMnNZkg5hQOScyvQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/digimon_tcg_EN/status/1748289194542112782?t=vdCNORZ6eBtuwa9peDtoLw&s=19
https://twitter.com/digimon_tcg_EN/status/1748291713636979019?t=s24bW_Aru6lrJhQb56HQIg&s=19
https://twitter.com/digimon_tcg_EN/status/1748294227350437928?t=JFv0JAoPMrDm4zPfx-MyUg&s=19
https://twitter.com/digimon_tcg_EN/status/1748296744016777263?t=t2e0hDEdp-BBWpGQWziGHA&s=19

The four Digimon were also added to the Digimon Reference Book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ShoeShoemon may be the best Digimon name ever

The first “shoe” is of course, well, shoes. The second one is Japanese onomatopoeia for rapid footsteps. The name as a whole is a pun on “chuchu”, which is the sound associated with rodents in Japan, which is why she’s a squirrel.

It looks like mindless repetition but it has LAYERS

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 20, 2024

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
pteromon is my new best friend

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nodosaur posted:

ShoeShoemon may be the best Digimon name ever

The first “shoe” is of course, well, shoes. The second one is Japanese onomatopoeia for rapid footsteps. The name as a whole is a pun on “chuchu”, which is the sound associated with rodents in Japan, which is why she’s a squirrel.

It looks like mindless repetition but it has LAYERS

All three of those obviously also apply to Shoemon, following the trend of Chuumon and Tyutyumon

and of course with Pikachu on that last meaning

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Hey, if you want a chance to be one of an estimated 400 or so people to have your name said in character by Agumon, Gabumon, Veemon, or Wormon's VA, here's the link to the form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdwTcGm2obyd5c6Txavd93ZScqbVlREqfrcwqfmfOOKWKgu5g/viewform

Notes: If your name isn't Japanese they ask that you provide it in hiragana. First name only, no pen names. If selected the VA that will say it is random. The second text box is an optional one for a suggestion of what the VA could say to you in the Digimon's voice.

Form closes on Jan 31st. The video will be in march and will last 100 minutes or so.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I have what's probably a stupid question about the card game. When a digimon in the breeding digivolves, for the sole purpose of triggering a general "when a digimon digivolves" effect in the play area that doesn't target the card digivolving, does that trigger count? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but the specific wording in the rules and FAQ are probably making me overthink it (they list everything except activating triggers as not counting in the breeding area).

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SpikeMcclane posted:

I have what's probably a stupid question about the card game. When a digimon in the breeding digivolves, for the sole purpose of triggering a general "when a digimon digivolves" effect in the play area that doesn't target the card digivolving, does that trigger count? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but the specific wording in the rules and FAQ are probably making me overthink it (they list everything except activating triggers as not counting in the breeding area).

The simple answer is no. Nothing activates in the breeding area unless it has the breeding tag. Additionally, digimon in the breeding area can't be targeted by effects

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
Yeah, that's why I'm even asking. It isn't an effect that is being activated in the breeding area and the effect isn't targeting the card in the breeding area. The rules and faq say nothing about creating triggers and the breeding area, plus it still counts as digivolving for triggering the bonus card draw for digivolving.

Edit: to add on to this, I'm not sure if this is anything beyond theoretical, anyways, because every card I'm familiar with so far also references some feature of the digimon that digivolved, so it obviously can't work with that digivilution, since it then has to reference the card in the breeding area.

SpikeMcclane fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 27, 2024

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SpikeMcclane posted:

Yeah, that's why I'm even asking. It isn't an effect that is being activated in the breeding area and the effect isn't targeting the card in the breeding area. The rules and faq say nothing about creating triggers and the breeding area, plus it still counts as digivolving for triggering the bonus card draw for digivolving.

Oh, I think I see what you're getting at. You have a digimon in play that does something if it sees a digimon digivolve, like the new rookies from BT16. I actually don't know how to rule that one, I'll have to ask some buds of mine when I head to locals. My immediate assumption is it wouldn't trigger, though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
It's safest to consider the Breeding area completely divorced from the play area unless an effect specifically references it.

So my gut is that the answer to your question is "no."

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The answer is no. The prohibition on effects in the breeding area is absolute unless explicitly countermanded. No effects can trigger from, at, to, or in relation to the breeding area unless a card very specially explicitly says so (See Proto Gizmon) and/or has the tag that says it fires in there (See Yggdrasil 7D6). Drawing a card for evolving and being able to use the breeding area to meet card option card color requirements are the solitary base rule exceptions, and in the former case no effects can fire from evolving that Digimon and in the latter case you still aren't treated as having a Digimon of that color in play for absolutely anything else in the game. If it's literally anything else the answer is going to be "no you can't".

And there are cards currently the game that fire when another card evolves, Bagramon and Darkness Bagramon both have effects that trigger when an opponent's Digimon evolves. If you evolve in the breeding area your opponent cannot trigger the effect of either version of Bagramon.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I agree that that's the way I think it works, but it doesn't actually say that in the rules and FAQ for the game, which is annoying, especially because it would be easier and clearer to write it that way. Instead, there's lists of ways the breeding area doesn't interact with the rest of the game that does not include everything (and also has inconsistent entries depending on which official document you're looking at).

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SpikeMcclane posted:

I agree that that's the way I think it works, but it doesn't actually say that in the rules and FAQ for the game, which is annoying, especially because it would be easier and clearer to write it that way. Instead, there's lists of ways the breeding area doesn't interact with the rest of the game that does not include everything (and also has inconsistent entries depending on which official document you're looking at).

Section 3-4-6 of the comprehensive rules document implies the answer is no, but it's not as clear as I'd like it to be.

quote:

3-4-6. Effects can't be affected by the breeding area and effects can't target the breeding area, particularly cards in the breeding area, unless text specifies that an effect will activate for a card in the breeding area. In addition, cards in breeding areas can't be referenced by effects

I'd recommend asking a judge in the official discord.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

That last bit of "cards in breeding areas can't be referenced by effects" does cover Bagramon and similar effects.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
People haven't mentioned it yet in this thread, but Bandai is planning on merging the EN and JP formats

Based on what people at the event have been sharing, the plan to get EN caught up is combined sets.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 28, 2024

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
yeah, it sounds like BT18-20 are going to combined like BT1-3

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I can’t tell if this is a good sign for the health of the game because they want everyone playing the same game for ease-of-balance reasons, or a canary in the coal mine because sales are flagging and they’re trying to dump all the unreleased cards as quickly as possible.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

They spent years only releasing Dragon Ball Super in English, they wouldn't be putting the work into releasing everything everywhere in sync if they didn't have confidence in the game.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

girl dick energy posted:

I can’t tell if this is a good sign for the health of the game because they want everyone playing the same game for ease-of-balance reasons, or a canary in the coal mine because sales are flagging and they’re trying to dump all the unreleased cards as quickly as possible.

I think it's another indication that they actually listen to their playerbase more than anything. There have been pretty significant problems caused by the delay between the JP and EN releases of the game (remember how annoyed people were at the Scatter Mode restriction?) and while I can't speak for other people, every time they had a digica survey I asked for them to merge the formats like this.

The game seems pretty healthy, with regionals capping pretty quickly and EN nats having nearly 1000 people again, and from the indicators I've seen sales seem pretty good. I think people have been asking for this and they're delivering. Plus, they wouldn't be making Liberator if the game was crashing imo

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

People will always complain because you can't please everyone when you try to appeal as broad a portion of the playerbase as possible, and the company is not without its flaws, but Bandai as it is right now with its TCGs is really proactive about getting player feedback and trying to apply it.

I'll say this as someone who has been really active with Battle Spirits Saga community management stuff through its release, the mess that was set 2, and the gradual recovery made with set 3 and the upcoming sets - they listen closer than some people might think. Often times the hardest part for the people managing their games is convincing the higher ups to let them do things, and that's really hard to do without solid information to support it.

At worst the read on the western market from the Japanese end of the company can sometimes be a little skewed and presumptuous, but that's why the people responsible for steering the game into success are constantly asking for player feedback.

One of the reasons I actually ended up getting into the Digimon TCG is because I could see that kind of effort was applied with it too. Even with the bans and limitations I was impressed by how clearly they explained the whats and whys when making those decisions.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 28, 2024

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://withthewill.net/threads/digimon-liberator-updates-story-synopsis-character-info-art-updated-clean-card-previews.30615/

Story synopsis for Liberator, clean art of new characters OWEN FREAKING DREADNOUGHT and Zenith, as well as character stats for Arisa and Shiro.

It seems intriguing! Also based on Owen’s ridiculous last name, I imagine he’s Bemmon’s partner.

There was also a key art several days ago that teased other main characters and had them against an army of black Imperialdramon, including black Imperialdramon FM.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
That key art actually shows everyone sans Zenith and Not!CoolBoy next to their partners and Owen is next to the mystery bat/clown/dragon digimon. This also gels with last months art of the close up of all the characters. So the edgy boy gets a cutesy dragon and Mr. Totally-not-a-villain will get Bemmon.

Personally, I'm starting to get increasingly bummed that Liberator is just a webmanga and not a card battle RPG a la the Shadowverse switch game (3d style)

or the Cardfight switch games (2d style).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I do wish we got a game entirely because that'd be an easy way to play the DCG even if it's against AI opponents, but honestly I'm cool with a manga, it shows they want to expand the card game beyond its original form and Digimon manga tend to be good.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I imagine we’ll get an online client after when they sync up the international releases

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
We’re going on a journey! A journey to the west.

quote:

Gokuumon EX6-023 C <03>
Ultimate | Virus | Beastkin

[On Play] [When Attacking] 1 Digimon may gain <Security A. -1> until the end of your opponent's turn. Then, if DigiXrosing, delete 1 of your opponent's Digimon with 6000 DP or less.
[All Turns] When this Digimon would leave the battle area, return 1 yellow Digimon card from this Digimon's digivolution cards to the hand.
[[DigiXros -2] [Sanzomon]/[Sagomon]/[Cho-Hakkaimon]]
---
Inherited: [When Attacking] (Once Per Turn) 1 Digimon may gain <Security A. -1> until the end of your opponent's turn.

quote:

Sagomon EX6-024 C <03>
Ultimate | Virus | Wizard

[On Play] [When Attacking] 1 Digimon may gain <Security A. -1> until the end of your opponent's turn. Then, if DigiXrosing, 1 of your opponent's Digimon or Tamers can't suspend until the end of their turn.
[All Turns] When this Digimon would leave the battle area, return 1 yellow Digimon card from this Digimon's digivolution cards to the hand.
[[DigiXros -2] [Sanzomon]/[Gokuumon]/[Cho-Hakkaimon]]
---
Inherited: [When Attacking] (Once Per Turn) 1 Digimon may gain <Security A. -1> until the end of your opponent's turn.

quote:

Cho-Hakkaimon EX6-026 U <03>
Ultimate | Data | Puppet

[On Play] [When Attacking] 1 Digimon may gain <Security A. -1> until the end of your opponent's turn. Then, if DigiXrosing, this Digimon gets +3000 DP and gains <Blocker> until the end of your opponent's turn.

[[DigiXros -2] [Sanzomon]/[Gokuumon]/[Sagomon]]
----

quote:

Sanzomon EX6-025 C <03>
Ultimate | Vaccine | Monk

[On Play] [When Attacking] 1 Digimon may gain <Security A. -1> until the end of your opponent's turn. Then, if DigiXrosing, reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Add 1 [Gokuumon], [Sagomon], [Cho-Hakkaimon] and [Shakamon] among them to the hand. Return the rest to the bottom of the deck.
[[DigiXros -2] [Gokuumon]/[Sagomon]/[Cho-Hakkaimon]]
---

quote:

Shakamon EX6-031 SR <03>
Mega | Vaccine | Tathāgata
[[Digivolve] [Sanzomon]/[Gokuumon]/[Sagomon]/[Cho-Hakkaimon]: Cost 6]

[On Play] [When Digivolving] All Digimon gain <Security A. -1> until the end of your opponent's turn.
[All Turns] When this Digimon would be deleted or returned to the hand or deck, you may play 1 [Sanzomon] and 1 [Gokuumon], [Sagomon] or [Cho-Hakkaimon] from this Digimon's digivolution cards without paying the cost.
[Your Turn] All of your Digimon's <Security A. -> are turned into <Security A. +>.
[End of Opponent's Turn] (Once Per Turn) You may place 1 Digimon with <Security A.> on top of its owner's security stack.

[[DigiXros -2] [Sanzomon] x [Gokuumon] x [Sagomon] x [Cho-Hakkaimon]]

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Dreamers:

https://digimon.net/digimondreamers/en/ep_024/

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well I'm glad I was totally wrong and this is not the end of the manga at all. Seems Barbamon is the next antagonist and poor Pal still can't keep his evolution (but now they may have a way to). It'll be interesting to see how the series handles an Ultimate, Pal is unusually strong but I doubt he can fight a Digimon two levels higher.

Boutmon parts on Bulkmon will look just as bizarre as Bulkmon's on Pulsemon, so if we're going down that route, I'm here for it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I still kind of wish they’d introduce some more human characters but I’ve been enjoying this so far.

Related, we still don’t know when Liberator is gonna start yet do we?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I feel a new anime announcement is happening here. It's too big, it's the 25th anniversary, it's time.

https://twitter.com/digimonweb_net/status/1756154983278657861

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

I feel a new anime announcement is happening here. It's too big, it's the 25th anniversary, it's time.

https://twitter.com/digimonweb_net/status/1756154983278657861

Time for yet another Adventure spin off.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just waiting for Cyber Sleuth 2

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm excited for another round of "we'd love to do that project but we don't have the funding."

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Just waiting for Cyber Sleuth 2

Three. Cyber Sleuth 3.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hackers memory was clearly only 1.5

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Marluxia posted:

Time for yet another Adventure spin off.
Digimon Adventure Tri Again Later

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Has anything ever been announced at Digimon Con in previous years? At most I could see an announcement for an announcement, but I remember every year a lot of wailing over not getting new stuff announced at Digimon Con when that's not what it's about.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Looks like Dreamers is ending next month:

https://withthewill.net/threads/digimon-dreamers-finale-chapter-25-on-march-4th.30703/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kinda saw that coming with the last few chapters honestly. Though on the bright side, it’ll probably be replaced by Liberator soon afterwards (which seems to have a spring release date currently)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's such a weird move, the last chapter set up a brand new enemy only for the manga to end now. What was the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Habu is no longer in charge of producing Digimon games, and actually hasn’t been in charge since April