Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Paper Lion posted:

Sorry ya'll but Adventure 02 loving owns. It's just kinda...different from how Tamers owns. While Tamers tells a great story and is mostly serious, 02 is just so loving weird at times that it wraps back around. It's easy to let nostalgia blind you to the fact that everyone is actually really well characterized and they all act pretty consistently (even if in Davis' case that doesn't always mean much). The english dub also makes the show a LOT better, I have no idea why there are people that insist on seeing digimon in the original Japanese because the dubs are what give them a lot of their flavour and fun. Part of that in 02 is seeing how Ken becomes an actual kid again, balancing the weight of his "oh god I did genocide how do I make this right" with the more down to earth "hey how do I friends" which helps make that plot and arc a lot more palatable, both when watching it as a kid and when going back as an adult to make Ken more relatable.

And then there's Davis. His arc of well meaning doofus into a moron so massive that Azulongmon's reaction to the first time Davis talks to him is "Oh. You must be Davis. I have to go now."

Frankly, if you don't like 02 then you just plain don't like stupid fun. It's not high art, it's not going to change your life. It's Digimon. Have fun and enjoy it.

I disagree. I distinctively remember being like 13 and noticing the show got progressively more toyetic and uninspired until I was hoping it would just end already. Over a decade later I still routinely enjoy cartoons full of cliches made to sell toys to both adults and children, but the creators are trying to do something fun with them instead of phoning it in.

If D02 had been "stupid fun" consistently and endearingly, I'd probably be defending it right now, but it felt more like a soulless cash grab the longer it went on.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Dec 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

e: Quoting because new page.

Blaze Dragon posted:

:hfive:

If anyone hasn't listened to them, the Latin American songs are really, really good. Here, I'll link you to them, it was really nice to hear them back again myself too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=565i1ZMak4A

Intertrack mexican dub 4 lyf.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Classy Hydra posted:

Adventures hit its stride around when vampire dude came into the picture and had some pretty decent character moments around it. Personally speaking though, I thought Adventure handled its overarching plot pretty clumsily and a lot of the character stuff wasn't melded well with everything else; Tamers handled that a lot more deftly.

Giant robot shows aren't my forte, is G Gundam known for being kinda dumb, but exciting to watch and relatively well put together?

G Gundam is what happens when producers want a tournament arc that lasts 50 episodes and is an unapologetic toy commercial but the director is a guy who pretends to give a gently caress about what the producers want but really doesn't. It is like if Adventure's overarching plot in between rivals of the week and character centric episodes was planned all the way through but with more cheesy kung fu.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Fairymon keeps beating up on Woodmon, but he completely no sells her and then hits her once and she's down and changes back to Izumi. Seriously? It's her debut episode and she loses to a single blow? This is bullshit.

Kouji comes out of nowhere and evolves to Wolfmon to save everyone. He takes down Woodmon in no time with no effort. What the actual gently caress?

If this is already so bad I can't even imagine how terrible it is going to get later. :allears:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I just watched all of Tri over the weekend. I wasn't expecting much, as I'd heard about Tri's reputation. Just show me the megas that I wanted to see 20 years ago, let the characters have fun with each other and provide better closure than 02 did. That's all I wanted.

Boy oh boy, I bet there is an evil genie cackling madly at me right now. I felt genuinely trolled at the end of Future when Not Gennai went "teehee should I bring back diabolomon or demon next???", the movies couldn't decide whether they wanted to be about growing up and accepting loss or not and everyone singing Butter-fly over the bleakass ending was the most tone-deaf thing I've watched in months.

I don't think Digimon Quattro could possibly be worse than Tri but I'm expecting them to surprise me. At least we got the Mimi x Meimei BFFs show, I guess. :sigh: