Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So, back in January I preordered the 20th Anniversary Digimon Pendulums. They just arrived, and it's not too complicated. Only problem is that it's complicated enough to warrant reading the manual... which is in Japanese.

I've figured out how to clean up the poop, at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I've pretty much figured it out at this point. Right now I have a Ganimon and a Yokomon.

EDIT: after doing some research, it looks like the only way to get Ragna Lordmon is to also have the 20th Anniversary V-pet, because the pendulums don't have the Zubamon line

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 7, 2018

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Oh that's cool as heck

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It's also probably a data-type Ultra-level Digimon, which is sorely underrepresented

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Weren't the Digimon Wonderswan games strategy games? It could be something like those

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nodosaur posted:

I thought they were traditional rpgs.

they might be. I'm only passingly familiar with them

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nodosaur posted:

Huh.

That's the original Falcomon. I never expected to see him in anything again ever.

I'm getting some Pokemon Conquest vibes from this shot, which makes me excited

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Rafflesimon looks cool as hell

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nodosaur posted:

I realize it's literally "Assistant Terriermon", but "Terriermon Intern" flows better and gets the point across more elegantly, in my opinion.

yeah but Terriermon Assistant is a TA

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
some more gameplay here

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1023531623646732288

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyway, what's the consensus on the Digimon game coming? I was going to get the last one but there was SO much complaining about how garbage it was, I skipped it.

If you mean Survive, then I'm optimistic. The Cyber Sleuth games were pretty great so another JRPG by the same studio could be good. As for the mobile games, I avoid that stuff like the plague, so I have no clue if this new one will be good

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Well, I'm still optimistic. It looks cool!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Blaze Dragon posted:

Uhh, on the topic, is there anything I should do in Cyber Sleuth before moving on to Hacker's Memory? I have most Digimon and a bunch of Medals already, and finished the storyline.

I'd recommend doing all the side quests that aren't the Royal Knights or Seven Deadly Digimon battles, if only because they're charming. You might have to run around Nagano Broadway to trigger the one with JimmyKEN, though.

There's the aforementioned battle missions and the final offline tournament if you want a postgame challenge, but other than that, there really isn't much other than that besides finishing off the Digimon list and the medal collection. The registered Digimon and the medals carry over into Hacker's Memory if you transfer your save file, which is a neat bonus if you 100%-ed the first game like I did

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Can you still buy the physical?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Habu’s doing a panel on Digimon games this Friday and your question might be asked! Here’s a link to the online questionnaire: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScSHDnyWYfv999ljUhdbQ2nHvjU4R-i5ULwf254-8e443IVPA/viewform

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Crabtree posted:

I'm guessing Cyber Sleuth Complete for PC is a fig leaf for Survive being delayed and to build up hype for it by bringing good Digimon to PC and getting people hungry for more. Hopefully they don't get hit with any sort of exclusivity nonsense like Gungrave did.

I’m not sure. With the original Cyber Sleuth being de-listed in the PS4 digital store it felt like they were building up to this

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

END ME SCOOB posted:

What? Oh gently caress me. I was just coming in to ask if I needed to see anything after 02 before jumping into Tri because it was $10 for all of it on Steam today.

I can't refund this, so, uh... I guess the question still stands.

There isn’t anything else you need to watch.

I liked Tri so I wouldn’t say that you shouldn’t watch it.

Edit: on second thought there is a recurring setting element in Digimon that you should be aware of. There’s oftentimes a master computer in charge of the Digital World named Yggdrasil who’s will is followed by the 13 Royal Knights. Yggdrasil unfortunately has a habit of going mad

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 7, 2019

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m a big fan of this Miu character. Girls knows some ninja tricks.

As for how Devil Survivor the game will be, I imagine that there will be multiple routes and some characters that you won’t be able to get in certain routes.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Leraika posted:

Should I start with hacker's memory or cyber sleuth?

Cyber Sleuth. Hacker’s Memory assumes that you’ve played the first game and will reference stuff that are twists from later in the first game. Also there are events in HM that just don’t make sense unless you’ve played the first game

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I’m so happy!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I have thoughts about the new show: mostly that I’m going to watch it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Burkion posted:

Show Tai kicking some other country's rear end with WarGreymon

Tai ends up in the UN, he would never!

Marcus, on the other hand...

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Moriatti posted:

Why aren't we talking about Digimon SURVIVE more? It looks like they're starting to finally give gameplay details and I'm interested to see if the free action/drama action economy makes digivolutions work more like they do in the show? Seems like it could make evolution trees interesting and less about re and de evolving and more about the bond with a given character.... I'm pretty hopeful!

Man, I really hope we get a release date soon

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TheHan posted:

Is Cyber Sleuth the new game that’s a lot like Digimon World but good? I just realized it’s available on the switch and could use a time sink.

Cyber Sleuth is a JRPG a la Digimon World 2 and the previous DS Digimon games. It’s good, I highly recommend it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I played Dusk for the first time either a year ago or two years and man, I’ve never played a game that was both incredibly bad and extremely my poo poo. There are some truly awful decisions in that game but I enjoyed it a lot

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

drrockso20 posted:

Bandai could probably steal some thunder from Pokemon if they announced that the next World or Story game was going to have every Digimon included, after all including everyone was one of Pokemon's big selling points from Gen 2 onward, and now that they abandoned it that leaves a gap in the market

This is just not feasible, though. Hacker’s Memory had fewer total monsters than Sword and Shield did, and it added 90 new Digimon! Add the fact that each Digimon needs to be able to evolve/devolve into multiple other Digimon, and even matching the amount of Pokémon in Sword and Shield after the Armor and Crown dlc would add an insane amount of bloat

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nodosaur posted:

It was a digidex and had an additional quest function. That’s how you earned the Digimentals that you used in the D-3.

You could also send emails/texts, which was useful for communication!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Oh... I meant in the show... I got confused and didn’t know we were talking about toys

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Burkion posted:

He's finally settled down and married to some office lady who makes all the money and offers him some fresh blood from time to time.

I want to see Ogremon work the stock market.

Leomon’s an insurance salesman because he knows tragedy can strike at any time

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Burkion posted:

I was talking with a friend last night about the kind of nonsense you could do with a Digimon have integrated into the real world setting, and he brought up that I basically want Detective Pikachu, but with Draculas

And you know what? I'd love that, give me that.

Have you heard of Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/habumon/status/1225377590258491392?s=21

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

drrockso20 posted:

Third one might be Witchelny, another realm that's been mentioned occasionally but never deeply explored(Wizardmon and a couple other Digimon are supposed to have originally been from it)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

blossommirage posted:

I really liked Next Order. It was all the archaic bullshit I remembered from Digimon World 1 but it made sense this time. Dunno if that's game design or the fact I'm not seven, though.

I also really enjoyed Next Order but it was the type of enjoyment where I really liked the game but would never recommend to another human being

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Blaze Dragon posted:

Rina's the worst recurring character and I wish she didn't return. Sadly someone on the team really loves her so we'll have her forever alongside the far better Mirei and maybe the random Sayo.

..We don't have a single male character connecting all of these games, do we?

Mameo and Analogman

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Geostomp posted:

It doesn’t help that Ryo was the star of a series of games on the ever-so-popular WonderSwan, which never left Japan’s borders. Meaning that instead of a great callback, we got some new guy that just happened to be perfect at everything he did for no apparent reason.

And young me still thought he was the coolest

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Chimera-gui posted:

While Digimon has been drawing from the Persona well recently with in terms of both design (e.g. NoblePumpkinmon) and writing (e.g. Cyber Sleuth) I feel like that be a line too far to cross, especially this early when we haven't even seen the full cast and said cast's age.

Hell, Cyber Sleuth even has the same character designer as Devil Survivor!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Bad news: https://twitter.com/japaneseswitch/status/1252821216454299649?s=21

Although I’m not entirely surprised

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

lezard_valeth posted:

Omegamon slowly turning into the Charizard of Digimon

It’s flat out the other way around. There are, what, at least six different Omegamon versions?

ConanThe3rd posted:

Is there some big thing going with V tamer anniversary wise or is it all just tying into Adventure :?

It’s not an anniversary but V Tamer’s been getting a lot of focus. There’s new V Tamer cards in the new tcg, there’s a V Tamer crossover with the new show, and Arcadiamon was a big plot point in Hacker’s Memory.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TA’s gonna get the snot beat out of him...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’m a big fan of these new digimon designs