Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

vivisecting posted:

I just thought of something really scary.

What if... if it's just an ova? :ohdear:

Anything is better than nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Classy Hydra posted:

Sorry, was talking specifically about the series with that bit. Worded that previous post poorly.

That said, cutting apart the movies is also a good example of the dub's weirdness.

I see why they had problems; they couldn't release Our War Game on its own, because they didn't want to draw attention away from 02 (which was running full swing at the time). At the same time, Our War Game was significantly better received in Japan than Hurricane Touchdown, so they couldn't just excise it completely. And they certainly couldn't run a double-feature or, hell, even a particularly long theatrical release. So, in order to have their cake and eat it to (or rather, to get the benefits of War Game's quality and Touchdown's 02 advertising), they had to slice them both up into a single frankenmovie, tied together with a halfbaked invention of a connecting plotline.

It's a really weird situation. I can't actually think of any comparable situation off the top of my head, honestly.
If they had to mash a third movie with Adventure and Our War Game they should have just waited a little longer and used the second Diablomon movie instead, would have been a lot better

Some Numbers posted:

It's a crying shame that they weren't able to release Our War Game by itself, because that movie is one of the few Digimon movies (that I've seen) that is any good.

Okay, the Tamers train movie is pretty decent, but it's apparently not canon with Konaka's version of the end of Tamers.

Speaking of Digimon movies, does anyone know when the Frontier movie is supposed to take place? I know it can't actually fit into the series anywhere and I'm not sure I want to add it to my Trip Reports, but in case I decide to, I'd like to watch it as close to the right time as I can.
Runaway Locomon not being canon according to Konaka is pretty much the only piece of Word of God from him regarding Tamers I actively ignore, cause the other option, having that really bleak CD Drama be canon is too goddamn depressing to conceive of

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Classy Hydra posted:

Grottomon's design-shape looks a little off to me, but on an individual basis I actually like it a lot for what it's worth. His hat, big honkin' nose and shoulderpads make an interesting profile, and I can totally look at it and say, "yep, this is a dwarf". That said, the tats are 100% necessary to make him fit in with the other spirit warriors; without that touch he ironically doesn't look 'mythical' enough, despite being based on a mythological creature. He's even got a red cap!

Gigasmon is fine, but he's too small to visually accomplish what he's supposed to be, and his horn-nose thing doesn't work very well as a character element. His tats are a lot more naturally ingrained in the design though, so that element looks a lot less tacked on.

This episode also demonstrates Frontier's almost signature "bizarre setting of the day" setup, with a vertical village serving as as a unique battle backdrop. I'll admit, sometimes the fights are kinda fun if only because the settings are really weird; earlier seasons of Digimon played with that as well, but generally not for very long.

well Digimon has always had scale issues with various Digimon species(like how in Savers they made BomberNanimon/Citramon absolutely gigantic) so it's not surprising that Gigasmon comes off as a tad small, if he ever gets used in another iteration of the franchise I wouldn't be surprised if he was made a little bigger

also one thing that often gets speculated by fans is if treating the Legendary Warriors as regular Digimon and using them in a normal evolution line(with H Spirits being treated as Adult stage, B Spirits as Perfect Stage, and the various Hybrid Spirits and the Ancient Warriors as Ultimate Stage Digimon), what Child Stage works best with them(Fire and Light have it easy as they have pre-existing Child stages to go with them, Flamon for Fire, and Strabimon for Light), here's what I feel works well for Earth and Metal for example;

Neamon-> Grottomon-> Gigasmon-> AncientVolcamon

Bokomon-> Mercuremon-> Sephirothmon-> AncientWisemon

Dr Pepper posted:

So, after seeing like the third attempted Digimon World Dawn/Dusk LP I decided to try the game out. It's pretty fun, if not a bit high on the random encounter level.

But a little thing baffles me. Armor Digivolution is in the game, and you're given the Digiegg of Love early on, and Hawkmon is an early game Digimon.

Yet Halsemon isn't in the game, heck looking it up the only Armor Digimon that appeared in the show that are available are Flamedramon and Magnamon. :psyduck:

the video games have some weird rear end evolution lines, some of them incredibly half assed, some prominent examples would be the Starter Digimon from Digimon World 3, cause while they maintain a vague thematic unity across their main evolutions(guns for Koemon, blades for Kotemon, and beasts for Bearmon), it's still a visual mess even by Digimon standards, here's my idea for better lines for them for example;

Koemon-> Hanumon-> Gokuwumon-> Zamielmon

Kotemon-> Musayamon-> Butenmon-> Tactimon

Bearmon-> Gryzmon-> Astamon-> Callismon

I'll admit I like making these lines when I'm bored(plus I'll admit I spend way to much time on the With The Will forum, and they love speculating about this sort of thing) and have made a lot of them, here's a bunch more http://imgur.com/a/VlJMy

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

I just spent 10 minutes ranting about Frontier into my bathroom mirror and trying to convince myself to continue my Trip Reports.

I hope you jerks are happy.

the question is, are you happy doing these, cause that's more important here

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

It'll be interesting to see how they explain the 02 cast not getting involved in Tri, at least initially

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

so considering we all probably asked ourselves the same thing when we were kids, I'll ask it here cause why not, I figure you guys would have some interesting answers;

If you could have an actual Digimon Partner, what Digimon would it be(let's assume it to be a Child/Rookie stage for simplicity's sake), and what would it be able to evolve into?

here's what my current pick would be;

Alraumon-> Woodmon-> Pumpmon-> Boltmon

blank templates for those who might want them;

and some other lines I've done due to boredom and me finding it fun

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rudoku posted:

They gave Culumon a proper evolution? And Stingmon a whole line?

no to the first one(I made that up cause I noticed that Culumon and Aegiomon mesh together rather well on both a visual and thematic level, and went with it), and for the second yes, not counting Armor Evolutions or PailDramon, Stingmon has two Perfect Evolutions(JewelBeemon and DinoBeemon) and at least 4 Ultimate/Mega levels that fit(BantyoStingmon[who's only been around for about a year or so at this point], GranKuwagamon, GrandisKuwagamon, and TigerVespamon)

also I should have been more clear, those lines are mostly ones I made up, although I generally tried to use some logic when making them(and a lot of them are influenced by Canon lines), since a lot of Canon lines are kinda random when you think about it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

nehezir posted:

Stingmon has a line but the culumon thing is impossible since he's not really a digimon.

if you dug through some of my other lines he's not the only non-standard Digimon I made a line for(did ones for Gizmon and BEMmon for example)

nine-gear crow posted:

And was officially stated to be In-Training level to boot...

eh not the only time Level's been fudged with(looking at you 02 Tailmon, not to mention Whamon, and several Digimon that are basically just higher level recolors of other Digimon like Panjyamon, Vermillimon, and multiple Digimon based off Gottsumon), heck I did lines for most of the main XrosWars Digimon and they mostly don't have official levels at all

nehezir posted:

Whhhhhy. I am curious when this came about.

Also, someone ought to update the wiki then.

depends on which Wiki you're talking about, the Wikia one is garbage compared to Wikimon, also I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's a pretty minor thing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

nehezir posted:

I have the opposite experience. The wikia has served me well over the years while wikimon has been anything from incomplete to poorly organized.

Then again, it very well could vary from mon to mon in both cases.

well part of it is that Wikia runs like crap on pretty much any device I own

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Wikia is perhaps the single most horrible bloated website in existence. It's bad, never go to Wikia wikis.

I only go if I can't find something anywhere else

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Since I'm an enormous dork, I choose Bearmon's line because he's a funny little karate-ursine.

Bearmon-->Grizzlymon-->Grapleomon-->Marsmon. Preferably Tamers-style so I get some use out of all those old Digimon cards in my closet and biomerge so I won't have to remai on the sidelines forever. I hope the fact that he's only temporarily something with "leomon" in his name is enough to avoid the curse on that name.
let's increase your Bear output to maximum

Bearmon-> Gryzmon-> Astamon-> Callismon

also have some improved lines for the other Digimon World 3 starters

Koemon-> Hanumon-> Gokuwumon-> Zamielmon

Kotemon-> Musayamon-> Butenmon-> Tactimon

Kotemon-> Yaksamon-> Matadormon-> Tactimon

not sure which of these Kotemon lines is better

Chakram posted:

Plotmon -> Mikemon -> Bastemon -> Minervamon

Gizamon -> Gesomon -> MarineDevimon -> Leviamon

have a more fitting ultimate for that line

Plotmon-> Mikemon-> Bastemon-> Duftmon-> Duftmon Leopard Mode(I figure Duftmon is androgynous enough to work here, and it fits better visually than Minervamon)

oddly enough haven't done any lines for Gizamon though(I'll have to see if I can come up with any that don't conflict with the ones I've made for Crabmon, Gomamon, and Betamon), but that's a pretty good line overall(Leviamon certainly makes for a better Ultimate for MarineDevimon than Pukumon did)

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 2, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Demidevimon -> Flawizardmon -> Mistymon -> Dynasmon

I like fire and the weird way Digimon artists draw stitching and bat/dragon wings.

Very nice, it's surprising how well Dynasmon works as the Ultimate for a Wizarmon/FlaWizarmon line, he also works well as an Ultimate for the Snake Deva, and Orochimon(although Bacchusmon works even better there)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Edward IV posted:

Wait, so is Astamon a bear wearing a pimp suit wielding a Tommy gun? Well that's just silly awesome. :allears:

well in the anime Astamon looks like this;

but he clearly has a predatory beast demon motif which works just as well as a bear as anything else, plus he shares a gun motif with Callismon(who's officially derived from Gryzmon) so he fits really nicely(not to mention Astamon canonically can evolve to Belphemon which also has some obvious bear motifs)

and while I'm at it the other Bearmon line I made;

Bearmon-> Porcupamon-> WaruMonzaemon-> Belphemon Sleep Mode-> Belphemon Rage Mode

also this inspired me to make a chart for Psychemon

Psychemon-> Sangloupmon-> Astamon-> GrandDracumon

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 3, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

So Bokutachi no Digital World has gotten its hands on the first round of character profiles for the first Tri movie coming out this fall. It appears to have have some soft hints that something resembling 02 happened, like Matt's band still being together and Mimi living in America during her middle school years, but the jury's still out on whether or not anything post-Our War Game is canon any more.

hopefully they'll integrate 02 in a way that makes sense, and come up with a good reason why the 02 Tamers don't get involved in Tri's events, at least initially

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Davis chugged a full tube of Krazy Glue on a dare, Yolei was check into a psyche ward by her parents for a crippling bout of OCD, Ken is currently awaiting trial on charges of orchestrating a massive DDoS attack on the JSDF communications network, and nobody would want to spend five minutes around Cody even if you paid them.

Ooooh, jeez, sorry guys. Looks like you can't be in the movie. Best of luck in your future endeavors though :byewhore:

that was way too try hard and edgy to come off as even remotely funny, sure 02 isn't a great show but it shouldn't just get tossed out all willy-nilly anyways(well besides the epilogue that is, that can go burn in hell)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Free Headcrab posted:

What would be the most playable digimon game for someone who has never played any of them far? I vaguely remember playing digimon world 1 and 2 for a few hours each as a kid, and I'm pretty fond of the monster rancher games for ps2.

Probably one of the PS1 titles, at least until that new one comes over here(there's a couple of DS ones as well but they all suffer from one of the things that plague most Mon games that aren't Pokemon; they tend to have dreadful and boring combat systems that don't even look good on a visual level)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

phourniner posted:

There are Digimon in this I have never even heard of before. Insane.

There's a lot more where those came from, heck it's a pretty good roster, but if they do a Cyber Sleuth 2 or something, hopefully they can expand it further(I still dream that someday we can get a Digimon game with as complete a roster as possible)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Really makes one wonder how much better D:TM would have been if they had used Movie 4 instead of Movie 3, heck I remember as a kid finding the Movie 3 portions lame cause they were only using Armor Evolutions when the show had already gotten to introducing the gen 2 Adult Stages(can't remember if they had gotten to Jogress Evolution yet), and Magnamon was old news by then(although Rapidmon Gold and seeing Seraphimon and MagnaDramon was pretty neat)

Come to think of it, if I knew how to edit videos I'd be tempted to create an edit of D:TM replacing the Hurricane Touchdown portion with the dub for Movie 4, maybe make a couple additional edits as well as needed

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

The thing that always amused me about the dub of movie three that landed in Digimon the movie is that they edited it down so severely that they actually cut out pretty much the main plot of the movie. It also says something about the narrative quality of Hurricane Touchdown/Golden Digimentals that it isn't even that noticeable. It really is quite pretty though.

They did?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Bee posted:

How much did the full original have? It seemed like the English cut had the majority of it, or at least the important part of a dinosaur wrestling a parrot.

From what I remember movies 1 & 2 had minimal editing compared to what happened to movie 3

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Wonder how they're going to explain ImperialDramon's presence, isn't 02 style Jogress supposed to no longer be possible according to said show's ending(which also explains why the 02 kids got their asses handed to them so easily off-screen since they'd only have Armor and Adult evolution left to them), at least assuming this ImperialDramon is a corrupted version of Davis and Ken's one and not some unrelated one

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BMB5150 posted:

I just watched and saw the beginning how 02 was hosed really hard. Wonder if that was just saying hey most of you didn't like 02 so we're throwing a bone to you guys or (most likely) they'll be a plot device that they need to save them or they're in some way responsible for the space distortion. I kind of like 02 and can live with it so I'm interested to see.

I also like how they're balancing of what the original series was and what the characters have become and how everyone interacts. It's refreshing to see a more mature group of Digimon handlers rather than the kids we always go in the previous series'.

Looking from the picture, it looks like BlackImperialdramon which maybe the infection caused the mega evolution of Veemon and Wormon with a twist, or could be something entirely different. Lot of questions still to be answered but it's a good setup for the next set of episodes and excited for it.

Also Izzy working with an associate in America with this virtual hub for the Digimon... is it Willis? Is Digimon The Movie new canon? :aaaaa:

More likely it's Michael or one of the other American Chosen Children, since from what I can recollect it's near impossible to fit Hurricane Touchdown into continuity properly

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rose Spirit posted:

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:

I also really liked 02 (except for Davis). I've been rewatching the whole show recently and to me it stood up to the nostalgia I have for it pretty well, especially during/after Ken's reformation. The world tour was pretty meh but I actually thought the Oikawa plot was pretty neat. :shobon: I'm chalking it up to the fact that I was in its target demographic at the time it came out.

I actually just rewatched D:tM yesterday, and Izzy mentions knowing Willis in Our War Game too, so it seems like he might still be a possibility.

That's only in the dub

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

I have watched:
-all of the first series I am pretty sure
-a good chunk of the second one (ditching your destined partner to create a cooler one made of bits and pieces of other digimon felt like pure loving evil to young me)
-a bunch of the third one

All of these in dub versions. Now, I hear that the dub butchers Mimi's character something fierce; that being said, I am considering rewatching them and eventually take a gander at the newer ones. Any recommendation on wheter dubs or subs are more appropriate?

Currently rewatching through Adventure in Japanese myself right now, and having gone through episode 15 at this point, the main difference between Dub and Original Mimi that I've noticed so far is that JP Mimi is a bit of a weirdo, like her putting sugar and Natto on her eggs, although Jou's even more of one in my opinion, what with his rant about how one only needs salt and pepper for your eggs instead of what the other kids prefer, and indeed he pretty much spent most of the File Island arc teetering on the edge of insanity with his constant insistence that there had to be other humans on the island, hopefully that'll die down now that they are on Server cause it was getting old

Overall one of the biggest differences between Dub and JP I've noticed is that the age differences between the children are a lot more noticeable in the original script(back in the day I hadn't even realized that Jou was a year older than everyone else until partway into 02, and didn't know that Koushiro and Mimi were a year younger than Taichi, Yamato, and Sora until very recently, indeed the dub often made it seem like Mimi was older than most of the group), also the Digimon in general have fairly different personalities between Dub and JP

And one last thing that I've noticed is just how jazzy a lot of the non-vocal soundtrack is(also that the show uses a lot of Gundam sound effects at times), that combined with the really drat good background art the show has, brings a surprisingly comfy vibe to everything

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The Tamers dub really is pretty great, though it still is a pretty different experience from the original. I found that the jokes usually hit pretty well and in a few cases I think the dialogue in some serious scenes was better than the original. As far as accuracy goes though I think Savers/Data Squad is the dub with the least amount of creative liberties/added jokes.

Except of course the infamous BomberNanimon/Citramon episode(which was admittedly pretty creative of them to do)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Burkion posted:

Season 2 is really remarkable for how it can be studied for What Not To Do In Children's Programming.

It is toyetic to a fault early on, it hyper focuses on the lead hero to the exclusion of all others- even Ken stops mattering after his very brief redemption arc and it just becomes the Davis Show where Ken is only needed so Davis can become Vegito- the animation is NOT an improvement over season 1 which is just an awful thing, the story is a confused, seething mess that could and should have been great...

Even on the basic levels of story telling it's not great.

Like, Code Lyoko and Digimon Season 2 have the same kind of story telling engine, where a group of kids go into a digital world whenever they want to deal with stuff- and Code Lyoko was the far superior story for it. Mind, I am not a fan of Code Lyoko- I barely remember watching the show now, but I remember the general set up. Evil computer thing causes trouble in the real world, they have to go into the digital world to stop it.

Season 2 treated the Digital World as a game, as did the heroes, pretty much just like Ken did. Only unlike Ken, they cared about it as little as they possibly could.

Being able to come and go whenever they wanted was one of the worst mistakes season 2 made especially with what they did with it.

Yeah Adventure and Code Lyoko are kinda opposites in that regard, Season 1 of CL was a boring repetitive episodic mess(didn't help that the main characters couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag back then), it improved massively in it's later seasons(well not counting that weird revival with Live Action used for the Real World scenes, that one is supposed to be a boring mess that ends on a cliffhanger and ruins the ending of the original series in the process)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Classy Hydra posted:

My evidence is more coached in the fact Imperialdramon's head is rendered in dark purples and appears to be doing its best Jaws impression on the latest poster.

I grant you have a point, but note that if there's one Japanese franchise out there where the international market may actually be on their radar, it's Digimon. Digimon has always had a surprisingly resilient presence in international territories and traditionally formed a core bastion of Toei's influence in markets of those regions.

More likely it's cause there's already a Black/Virus version of ImperialDramon

Also if Hawkmon and Armadimon have been similarly corrupted, and also show up in Ultimate/Mega stage, wonder what they'd turn into since they can't Jogress like V-mon and Wormmon can, for Hawkmon at least it'd probably be something like Ornismon, not sure what Armadimon would turn into though, he's always been a bit harder to sort out in that regard(with Shakkomon at least you could just have him evolve to SlashAngemon or ClavisAngemon)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

Man.

Please don't turn Iori's partner into YetAnotherAngemon. It's all wrong for him.

Well I was only suggesting that as a Shakkomon evolution, and without being able to form him, Armadimon now needs a new Perfect and Ultimate stage to evolve into

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

Or they could just start having them evolve into Silphymon and Shakkoumon on their own.

Personally I'd rather they get new ones cause both Silphymon and Shakkomon were pretty drat boring back in 02(I remember the latter's debut being one of the single biggest disappointments I had that entire series, along with Ken never using his Crest and Dagomon never properly showing up)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Burkion posted:

Super Ultimate is kind of bullshit and as confusing as it may seem.

Like technically if you want to play semantics, Imperialdramon Fighter Mode is also a Super Perfect, in that it is a Perfect that has further evolved.

Gallantmon gained a similar form, Crimson Mode that is of weird status. And then there's the bullshit that is Imperialdramon Paladin Mode.

But then there are Ultimates that have been powered up but aren't technically that? Most notably the X forms of Ultimates, like WarGreymon X.

It's kind of silly and confusing and it does not help that no two anime have the same unvierse or rules. Some of them pretty much just abandon the levels entirely.

As a kid the way I always viewed it was that Apoclymon and Omnimon weren't Mega Level- they transcended that and just weren't any kind of level at all. They were the product of multiple Digimon fusing together and were greater than the sum of their parts.

The interesting thing about the Jogress and Armor Digimon is that they seem to be weaker than normal evolved Digimon of the same level with one exception maybe.

Neither Cody or Yolie's Jogress Digimon are anywhere near as powerful as MagnaAngemon or Angewomon, despite having Gatomon and Angemon as their partners. Hell I'm not even sure how powerful Paildramon is compared to, say, MegaKabuterimon or Zudomon.

And Armor Evolved Digimon are explicitly called out as weaker than normal Champions, which is the big reason why they were abandoned.

The exception might be Magnamon, but he was from a special one of a kind and then never seen again Golden Digi Egg, and he was still mostly losing to Kimeramon until Wormmon suicide charged him.

Yeah Super-Ultimate is a confusing term, I usually just list Ultimates evolving into other Ultimates as a Burst Mode if it doesn't involve Jogress

Also in retrospect yeah the Armor Evolutions and 02 Jogresses were pretty wimpy, which probably explains why Tamers, Frontier, and Savers all used a lot of the Armor Evolutions as fight fodder(heck Tamers had them regularly get whooped by Child stages, but then power levels were especially screwy in Tamers due to Data Absorption being used rather heavily)

Burkion posted:

I have no idea how I feel about that.

Mind I also have no idea how powerful Kimeramon is supposed to be, considering he's made up of Ultimate and Champion level Digimon, some of whom are ridiculously powerful in their own right.

I guess good for Magnamon- I keep forgetting he's some how a Royal Knight.

Way I see it 02 Kimeramon is a lot more powerful than what a "normal" example of his type would be due to Ken integrating some of Adventure Devimon's data, since Devimon also artificially inflated his own power levels by a lot, not to mention if you buy into the Wonderswan games theory that Millenniummon and Apocalymon created each other in a very complex space-time feedback loop then Kimeramon's very high power level makes even more sense

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Well that's what almost 20 years of existence will bring you, especially since while Pokemon is limited to introducing new Pokemon with each generation of main games, Digimon will introduce new kinds as often as possible(helps that they don't have to come up with a full evolution line for each new idea they have, it'll often slide right into an existing one no problem)

Burkion posted:

To be fair

You don't have to catch all the Digimon

that is still a lot what the gently caress

That's partially due to no Digimon game ever having more than about 500 of them at a time, and most have less than 300, would love for them to do a Digimon game some day that had all of them, and had a battle system that wasn't rear end

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Burkion posted:

The fact that they DID have to debate over what to do with Archnemon and Daemon's group is ridiculous. One is an unrepentant evil witch who is apparently behind Ken's time as the Kaiser who only makes things worse and unleashes horrible evils on the world

The other are group of pure evil demons that want to murder everyone.

And ALL OF THEM WOULD COME BACK because reincarnation is a thing!

That was the other huge thing- in season 1, until the Dark Masters hosed everything up, they knew the Digimon they killed or lost would come back to life one day. When they found out they wouldn't, that was a huge moment that triggered Mimi's reaction to fight even harder against the Dark Masters.

Season 2, that never actually gets addressed. They act like killing the Digimon would be The End, when Wormmon came back from sacrificing himself *WAY* faster than even Patamon did. They had to of known that reincarnation was a thing, yet they never brought that to mind.

And I thought the Golem dude was the guy Ken killed? Wasn't that how they found out about them being fake Digimon?

No the one Ken killed initially with Stingmon's debut was ThunderBallmon(if I'm remembering the right name)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

He was probably just busy. I mean, Leomon might've just hit Adult level by that point, if he even got that far, and Ogremon's one reason to live is to fight Leomon. And, surprisingly enough, he's well-written to the point that it is charming instead of idiotically shonen. He wants to fight his rival, and if he wins...well, then they just go on!

If anything, I find it rather amazing how Ogremon comes across as a one-note villain in the Devimon arc, then he reappears and hasn't changed at all, yet he becomes infinitely more likable because we get to hear his side of the tale. From Leomon, it just seemed like Ogremon was evil and obsessed with killing him...but nope, by all means he respected and cared for Leomon as his greatest rival. Even if he was still evil and obsessed, it was a more...honourable thing, I guess? And how he really, really tried to not show how there was a heart inside that green skin was the most adorable thing.

I doubt Ogremon's coming back to get killed in Tri. He's likely infected like the Kuwagamon were, if he will fight the Children. And even there I'm not too sure of that happening, considering he's far behind the power curve, and the main threat in Determination seems to be Imperialdramon. If anything, him appearing before Mimi and Joe (who were the ones to get closest to Ogremon in Adventure) is blatantly not a coincidence, and will likely be used to further their character arcs rather than just as a throwaway villain.

I try not to say good things about Digimon games because they're mostly terrible. Digital Card Battle is my one exception, it's a really, really good game and I love it so much. I wish Digimon had more games like that, instead of horribly grindy RPGs.

And talking about videogames, that trailer for Next Order looked great! I have to wonder if the guy with Mugendramon really is the original World protagonist, if so, that's a really cool connection (and even if not, the design and having the final boss of that game is a great way to appeal to nostalgia). Adding both Hybrids and No Level XW things is...interesting, I have to wonder how those will work.

Both of those will probably be given levels, the Hybrids will probably be split like so; H-Spirits=Adult, B-Spirits=Perfect, Fusion Spirits=Ultimate, while Shoutmon and GumDramon will just be Child stage

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Moriatti posted:

Speaking of lore stuff, aside from Devimon, what are some good champion level digimons to use for villains? I'm running an RP with some friends and I was gonna have it be sandboxy until they found some plot thread to latch onto, and am trying to thing of some good villains to throw at them. (Probably not going to use Ogremon because he might end up being a player's champion level digimon.)

Witchmon would be a good one, on the more comedic side of things BomberNanimon would work really well (is it weird that I love BomberNanimon but hate regular Nanimon?)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

It is kinda bullcrap that Guardromon never evolves after becoming Kazu's partner despite being introduced as Andromon, I'm fine with him never reaching Ultimate as that's relatively special here, but you'd think he'd have pulled off an Evolution to Perfect at least once

Also I'll admit I've never really liked Kazu getting MarineAngemon for a partner, just felt poorly handled for the most part

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rudoku posted:

How could I forget about Impmon? I love the little bastard! Did they ever give him a proper Adult/Champion and Ultimate form?

His most common Adult stage is Wizarmon, Perfect was kinda iffy for a long time, although Baalmon is definitely the preferred choice these days(even if he doesn't have an official level yet like most XW Digimon)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Butter-Fly is bizarre in that I heard it for the first time only a year ago but it instantly felt as though I'd always had it in my head, associated w/ Digimon.

Same(although it was like 4-6 years ago for me)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

There's absolutely nothing that suggests Gaossmon evolves into XW Greymon. The thing is meant to be more Blue Flare's answer to the Starmons, being the "boss" of their minor soldiers, the Bombmon like Starmon is to the Pickmons.

They barely show up in the anime of course; both of them are only featured prominently in the Super Digica Taisen arcade machines.

Also I'm not sure why that chart treats Vritramon and KaiserGreymon as Agumon evolutions instead of just being inspired by them.

Something to remember is that what Digimon can evolve into what other Digimon is something that's always changing and expanding(and theoretically any Digimon can become any other one), bet you if the XW Digimon ever get given proper levels, Gaossmon will probably be able to evolve into Greymon XW, and indeed will probably be given lines connecting it to the rest of Blue Flare's Digimon as well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Covok posted:

By the way, has every season so far introduced a new version/evolution of Greymon? It feels that way.

Well Tamers didn't as far as I know, so no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Burkion posted:

Here's how you make the Digimon movie great.

You watch up to Omnimon killing Diaboramon and then you hard cut to the credits.

gently caress the last half of that movie.

If I had the editing chops I'd make an edit that throws out the Hurricane Touchdown portion of the movie and replace it with the dub for Movie 4 instead