Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

wateyad posted:

Maybe the new series will actually be good and not need a gag dub to be entertaining.

In all fairness, Jeff Nimoy's been in mia culpa mode for like the last decade over some of the dumber dub jokes. I mean, come on, the guy wrote and played Izzy and Tentomon as a stealth slash relationship, cut the man a little slack. That's pretty drat funny in hindsight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

He also did Summer Wars (read: Our War Game without the Digimon), and Wolf Children, a pair of pretty drat amazing films in their own right.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zimbomonkey posted:

So I have a weird question that has bugged me every time I think about this franchise: Remember the Dark Ocean episode of Adventure 2? What the hell was going on with that? It seemed like it was starting a story arc but instead it never went anywhere and was never even brought up again to my knowledge. Hell, they never even revealed what the hell the Cthulhu-type monster silhouette at the end of the episode was (I would never have known if I didn't have a Drago/dagomon trading card that had him standing in the exact same pose). Was this a weird disconnect for the writers or was there a storyline they were planning on doing that never got off the ground?

That episode was Chiaki Konaka's baby. The exact details are still kind of sketchy, but he penned that episode on the promise that it would eventually get a follow up episode or mini arc in the later season, but because 02 was a slapdash mess of Too Many Cooks and Toei Animation internal politics at their scummiest, the followup episodes never materialized. It burned Konaka so much (because he was a huge fan of the franchise already), that when a third season of the show was greenlit, Konaka went to the Toei brass and asked to be the showrunner for it so he could have sole editorial control over its story. And because you don't say no to Chiaki "I did Serial Experiments Lain, Giant Robo, no not that Giant Robo, Hellsing and The Big O, what have you chucklefucks done?" Konaka, that was how we subsequently got Tamers.

tl;dr: Post-Digital World Tamers your Dark Ocean follow up episode.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 11, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

everythingWasBees posted:

They all have more or less the same face with very minor eyelash or eyebrow variation but it actually looks alright. Digimon are incredibly cute as well. I'm excited.

Palmon looks like she's about to start going "yip yip yip yip yip uuuuhuuuuuh" though. :palmon:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Level Slide posted:

What's Konaka been up to these days?

These days? Pretty much nothing. The last thing he did according to IMDB was in 2007, and the last big thing he did was a few episodes of Eureka Seven in 2005.

I think he might have become a full time novelist, but I dunno. Though sad to say it looks like his career in the anime industry is all but over.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I love learning these behind the scenes and "what could have been" details about these various series. Though I think my favorite one was how Impmon was originally going to be Takato's partner for Tamers but it was personally vetoed by Konaka in favor of Guilmon because he wanted the central Digimon of the show to be an innocent tabula rasa as opposed to a creature with the kind of baggage Impmon brings with him just by his design and nature.

But goddamn if it hasn't left me wondering how a Takato/Impmon Tamers series would have played out ever since.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

First time I hear that one. The only Tamers what-could-have-been thing I knew was that Impmon/Beelzebumon was meant to be the big bad of the series, before being changed to an antagonist that gets to redeem himself.

"Chiaki J Konaka posted:

Impmon

In Guilmon's entry, I briefly touched on the fact that the main digimon(Rookie form) that WiZ (leaders of the Digimon project) suggested was, in fact, Impmon.

As soon as you see him, you can tell that he's a bratty, wise-cracking type, and it was a definitely a departure from the heroes from the previous seasons of Digimon.

However, as I wrote earlier, I wanted to begin the story with the main digimon as innocent and pure as possible. I voiced my dissent, and the next digimon to be nominated was Guilmon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Steve Blum was pulling quadruple duty on Tamers. He was Guilmon, Kenta, Yamaki, and, if not the head writer for the dub, then one of its senior writers at least.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Burkion posted:

The biggest problem with season 3 for me is simply the villains sucked.

If it could have had season 1 level villains as far as personalities and such went, it would have been perfect. The final stretch of the show is just them fighting The Blob and ScaryJeri and that's it. Otherwise it's a lot of people sitting around talking.

I think the D-Reaper was a great villain. It was an automated deletion program that accidentally evolved and gained intelligence, but not sentience, making it both a better deletion program and causing it to realize there was more stuff out there that it could delete. It was basically the Borg; it couldn't be reasoned with, bargained with, threatened, or hid from because it was that relentless. It didn't need to be a scenery chewing, joke cracking villain like Piedmon or an ice cold sociopath like Myotismon, the thing that made the D-Reaper a great villain was just that it was the Michael Meyers or Jason Vorhees of Digimon villains: always coming to get you and impervious to your attempts to stop and the main characters had to resort to literally cheating to finally kill it.

I rewatched Tamers last year and the thing that really stood out to me was how well handled the adult characters were. I really appreciated that the adults were given not just a POV in the series, but that that POV was treated as an equally valid and informed one as the kids' POV was in the story.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I like the idea of Frontier more than the overall execution of it. After Seraphimon dies things just go all sorts of of the rails. Well, technically after Cherubimon dies it goes off the rails, but the post-Seraphimon, pre-Cherubimon/Ophanimon stuff lays the ground work for it to all go spectacularly wrong.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's what we all wish we knew. It's not April, that's for sure, Wikipedia now lists "Spring 2015".

I've heard June, but I haven't seen any official evidence to confirm that. Alls I know is I'm starting to worry about Tri again if its getting pushed back from its previously announced airdate. Toei's been in the shitter with its shows lately, so I have relatively little real faith in Tri actually working, despite the pedigree it has behind it. Because everything I've read about Toei's other ambitious late-90's flagship series reboot, Sailor Moon Crystal, indicates it flounders between hot garbage and barely watchable for tertiary reasons, depending on the episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

The Royal Knights arc of Frontier is right down there with Black WarGreymon's arc in 02 as the absolute nadir of Digimon. I really think Frontier was good for about 38 episodes, and there's some stuff in the last few I liked, but the problem is that there isn't enough good stuff in that final arc. Frontier not only failed to stick the landing, it absolutely crashed and burned.

God, I'd love to see someone do a "why did this thing fail so hard" episode by episode trip report on Frontier similar to the one PoptartsNinja did for Gundam AGE.

That would just be hilarious.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah. Script and Story are two different things. It's like weather and climate. The exact details of what the characters say episode per episode don't really matter when they still get their asses kicked and accomplish nothing for fifteen straight episodes. Those things transcend language. :)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dexie posted:

Which Digimon was it that had One Vision?

Because that's the best Digimon song.

Tamers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dexie posted:

Something will happen towards the start to depower them so they can't go Mega right from the beginning.

Or they'll come up with some kind of new evolution method.

Depends on whether or not Our War Game and/or 02 is canon in Tri, because they both explicitly state that the kids scarified their crests to stabilize and firewall the portal between the Real and Digital Worlds before 02 started. Any time any of the older kids went higher than Champion after that it was all thanks to Plot Bullshit like Izzy's crazy botnet, the Dark Ocean, the Holy Stones, or one of Azulongmon's spare power cores.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hell, there were those four kids that were brought to the Digital World, the ones Angemon took care of. It's kind of obvious they were meant to become the Warriors of Water, Wood, Earth and Steel, yet instead they just get booted back to the Real World without any other comment. Having all Ten Warriors fight could've been cool, but instead, we had two, with four cheerleaders.

That was the biggest troll in Digimon franchise history, right there. Right down the main six lecturing them about them having no place in the Digital World because they can't defend themselves when four of them routinely willingly make themselves helpless for no good reason at all. It's like everyone involved on Frontier just went into don't give a gently caress mode once they got the word from FujiTV that there wasn't gonna be a fifth series (under their watch, anyway).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mikeycp posted:

I could've sworn that the end of Adventure revealed that the real crests were their hearts the whole time.

e: I haven't seen 02 since it was on TV though so I guess I could be missing something?

It's probably one of 02's famous continuity/don't give a gently caress errors. Because there's a flashback that explicitly shows the kids give up if not their crests, then definitely their powers at some point after Adventure, but before 02.

This is why 02 needs to be de-canonized :ssh:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The few things they've said of Tri includes that "everyone has a digimon now, here's a story"

Okay, part me of honestly wants Tri to be a one-episode clusterfuck that takes "everyone has a Digimon now" to its logical conclusion and ends with civilization-destroying mass chaos because there are now 7.7 billion creatures of mass destruction roaming the planet and a sizable percentage of them lie in the hands of the criminally insane and dangerously incompetent.

Just 21 minutes of screaming and explosions capped off by a peppy reprise of Butterfly. Digimon! It's a fun filled children's adventure show :buddy:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Covok posted:

What was up with Children's War Game's animation? It was very different, in a good way. Looked expensive to make.

Mamoru Hosoda

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Go whole hog on it. ...Though now I'm feeling kind of guilty for goading you into this. Best of luck with it. :shobon:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Yes. And I thought that, too.

Would've been neat for her Gatomon to make a cameo.

That was purely a dub creation though. The producers saw how much Asaji looked like grown up Kari and she was a teacher to boot so they specifically asked Laura Jill Miller if she'd voice her.

To my knowledge, I don't think anyone on the Japanese staff realized the joke potential they had on their hands until they saw the dub, and by that point it was too late to really do anything.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Frontier and Tamers are vastly different in tone and style though.

The point was Tamers had literally frightened children away from the Digimon franchise by letting Konaka go Full Konaka with it, and no matter how bright and cheery and pillowy soft Frontier was, there was no recapturing that core audience.

But that doesn't excuse Frontier from being terrible in and of itself and the thing that nominally killed the Digimon anime franchise for years.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
This was also a time in which BitTorrent was still just an internet curiosity and not widely used and fan subbing took weeks and was squirled away in niche parts of the online community. So it was pretty much unavailable in any format.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

and the only people to ever sub Frontier were Wolfpack Productions, who flat out made poo poo up.

That was a dark day for the Digimon fandom. After Megchan's died out all we had was them and the original incarnation of With the Will, complete with bonus Omnitor and his notorious pack of lies.

Ah With the Will, I remember those guys. Jita was a raging rear end in a top hat with a hair trigger and Omnitor was a giant loving liar who banned anyone who questioned his bullshit.

Good times. :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
To this day the thing that still weirds me out about Frontier the most is its strange semi-pastel colour pallet. It almost hurts my eyes some times to see screenshots of it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Everything said is true. That said, the upside is that the villains are really likable, especially in comparison to how badly the heroes (beyond Koichi) are written. The Dark Warriors are quirky and fun, but actually threatening. LordKnightmon is amusing, Dynasmon is cool. Lucemon is actually a really cool final boss with an epic final fight. Cherubimon is terrible, but at least the Digimon who follow him are cool.

They're still used badly, especially the Royal Knight duo who are basically there to stall the story until episodes run out, but at least they're entertaining as characters.

Cherubimon looses a lot of his punch when you realize he can literally be summed up as "rear end in a top hat ex-boyfriend".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FewtureMD posted:

What was the original plan for the Dark Warriors? They've always been some of my favorite Digimon villains.

The only "plans" I'd heard regarding the other five were: 1) there was a human inside Duskmon all along and he was somebody's brother, and 2) the four kids who showed up randomly 3/4s of the way through the season were gonna get the other 4 Spirits and become some sort of B-Team who would either get cameos here and there or just never be mentioned again till the finale or something, whatever was cheaper to animate :v:

One of those happened, the other didn't, though I have no idea how true either rumour was, given that the only source of Frontier-era "inside info" was a proven liar.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

aers posted:

Uh well tri isn't for kids because its targeted at people who were kids in 1999 when Digimon Adventure aired.

It's probably explicitly aimed at the 10-18 demographic, but it's implicit audience are in their mid-20s to early 30s now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

So it being a TV show was not true, it stThe cryptic as gently caress lines make me interested in the plot, but it being six OVAs makes me fear we'll be seeing the last by 2021. I can't say I'm hyped, how badly Toei has handled everything has killed my hopes for this series.

I was gonna say "watch them pull an Anno and take 10 years to finish a series of films that were supposed to come out months apart."

Let the great Digimon Tri Disaster Watch officially commence!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

vivisecting posted:

Literally all the voice actors were adults when they started adventure. I'm so bummed they dropped Mimi's voice actor... I thought she was a Digimon staple. She always sings the closings. :sigh:

BUT. Who is this?

Is she the villian? I am totally down for a lady villian. She doesn't go to the same school as they do.

Every landmark anime series turned into a set of movies ten years after their original air date needs their very own Mari. The question isn't "who is this girl" it's "will she scream 'POINT BLANK, SHITHEAD!' as she crossbows a Digimon in the forehead"? :v:

Also, did anyone catch how Toei used "Gatomon" instead of "Tailmon" in the cast announcement trailer? Did Toei just give up and concede to the dub on that one? (yeah, I know the Katakana spelled out Tailmon, but still...)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

forbidden lesbian posted:

The dub is better cause literally any reason for me to still care about the first season of digimon is pure nostalgia.

This.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Most of the Warriors had pretty bad designs tbh

I always wondered if, had they gone through with the "the B-Team really is the B-Team and not a half-baked thing we totally hosed up because we're incompetent" thing, would have Löwemon'd the other 4 Evil Warriors into more appropriate forms?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Goddramon giveth, and Goddramon taketh away: Netflix announced yesterday that it's pulling Adventure, 02, and Tamers on August 1st, of all days.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kortel posted:

That sucks, seems like Netflix is pulling a lot lately.
Also ps4 Cyber Sleuth is awesome.

They only license stuff from studios for limited times. Some stuff they buy longer licenses for than others. But even then they do tend to re-up stuff after a cooling off period.

I know they pulled Star Trek TNG a while back and then put it back up earlier this year. So it's probably not going away for good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Oh okay Tomoki has no memory so he gets no character development gently caress you show.

And here I thought that Frontier gradually worked into treating the non Takuya and Koji characters like poo poo, but nope, it was doing it right from the word go. What a disaster of a season.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Razzled posted:

I'm rewatching the original series on netflix. What do I watch after that to prepare for adventure tri. ?

Kortel posted:

Season 3, then lament season 2.

Really, the only other "essential" viewing following Adventure is Our War Game. Tamers is just gravy at that point, loving amazing tasting gravy. Don't watch 02 or its movies, they're poo poo. Maybe watch Frontier if you want to laugh at how badly it faceplanted, and then just stop completely. Everything else is hot garbage. If you're really desperate, watch Runaway Locomon and read the translation of Message in a Packet after you're done with Tamers and see which one you like better because they both blatantly and hilariously contradict one another.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
For those interested, Another Person and mikeycp are doing a Let's Play of Digimon World Re:Digitize on the LP sub forum right now. Its pretty cool so I figured I'd plug it here.

Check it out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Exclusive image of the Gokaiger gaiden to come out soon, where they search for the Ultimate Power of the Digimon.

:lol: @ the 02 kids shoved off to the side of the banner and like a quarter the size of the Tri portion.

That's like the most passive aggressive way to go about that. Unless they also have the cast from other seasons on the banner too and they just sort of had to include 02 because it is still a thing that exists in the real world.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Crap they pulled Adventures off Netflix just as I started to nostalgia marathon it :argh:

It's on Crunchyroll for free: http://www.crunchyroll.com/digimon-adventure along with 02, Tamers, Frontier, and Xros Wars / Young Hunters.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/digimon-adventure-02
http://www.crunchyroll.com/digimon-tamers
http://www.crunchyroll.com/digimon-frontier
http://www.crunchyroll.com/digimon-xros-wars-the-young-hunters-who-leapt-through-time

No Savers though thanks to arcane licensing reasons.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nehezir posted:

Stingmon has a line but the culumon thing is impossible since he's not really a digimon.

And was officially stated to be In-Training level to boot...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So Bokutachi no Digital World has gotten its hands on the first round of character profiles for the first Tri movie coming out this fall. It appears to have have some soft hints that something resembling 02 happened, like Matt's band still being together and Mimi living in America during her middle school years, but the jury's still out on whether or not anything post-Our War Game is canon any more.