Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

Burkion posted:

So do we know who the weird hooded dragon Digimon is that's following them around?

He looks sort of familiar.

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks a lot like Hackmon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

vivisecting posted:

(Like honestly who knew Xros Wars had such good songs? Not loving me.)

Yeah, no matter your opinion on Xros Wars in general, it had some amazing songs. This news is just incredibly sad overall though, so I think that playlist is gonna get quite a bit of listening to.

And while I was attempting to find some of the newer Tri songs to purchase, I glanced over at the 'Top Selling' list for anime songs. It seems I wasn't the only person with that idea. (Img link + URL since my browser sucks)

Top Anime Songs

Top Songs through all Categories

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

TFRazorsaw posted:

Digimon Links is now available in the US on Google Play. It's a F2P game using Cyber Sleuth's battle system, so expect a lot of grinding combined with having to shell out for stuff.

Predictably, I will be playing it.

I've been waiting for this. CS's battle system has been a favorite to play (and I've sunk far too many hours into it) so I'm looking forward to it. If anyone has any experience with the non-global version (like good mons to aim for, tips and tricks, etc) please do feel free to mention or link to them.

Hopefully it's a good fun experience all around!

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

So, this is a bit of a clever way to drop a bit of a bombshell (in regards to news) but with the announcement of the one night event airing for Kizuna (subbed) in theaters, there's a bonus in the special features section of the posting.

The Fathom Events page for Kizuna

Along with an exclusive interview about the movie, there's a trailer listed for a new Digimon TV series.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Oh I am all up for this, is it okay to post in that new thread or are we waiting to start first?

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

So, that mysterious new project finally got a... PV of sorts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX2KzEpF_gs

Looks like there's way more to figure out here but the mystery mon has been revealed as Pulsemon.

Still more to come but it seems like it's being released next March.

Edit -> The website is https://toy.bandai.co.jp/series/vb-digitalmonster/ but it's absolutely getting hammered atm, so your mileage may vary.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Yeah, there's at least 5 currently known cards: Impulse City (yellow card), Volcanic Beat (red card), Blizzard Fang (blue card), as well as Agumon and Gabumon.

(Volcanic Beat/Blizzard Fang and Agumon/Gabumon look to be sold in 2 packs from what I can attempt to make out on the site, so I'm thinking that Impulse City comes with the watch/pedometer?)

The watch itself is approx 6380 yen and the card packs are approx 1760 yen so yeah.. the wallet's gonna feel this one for sure.

Seiyal fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 7, 2020

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Omnicrom posted:

Skip right over Xros Wars/Death Generals/Young Hunters/Season six, unless for some reason you find it necessary to watch possibly the worst anniversary celebration ever.

Throwing Xros Wars under the bus for Episodes 55-79 seems short-sighted, because it's very easy to watch the first 54 episodes and call it complete. There's a lot of development of both the humans and Digimon that's fairly refreshing to see and while Hunters is still "part" of the series, you don't have to watch it. There's some callbacks to stuff in the previous 54 episodes if you choose to watch the last 25 but I can't think of anything major that's "you can't miss this" if you don't watch it. Also, Xros Wars has some absolutely wonderful insert songs, some really neat takes on evolution and combinations that (barring Appmon) Digimon's never really looked at much.

So I think you can easily watch Xros Wars + Death Generals and have a good series right there, as long as you don't mind Digimon looking a little different. It's not a "typical" Digimon series (by which I mean a small group of kids with 1 partner like most of the 5 series before it) but honestly, I think the non-typical series like Xros Wars and Appmon are just as fun as the other series before them.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Yeah, the timeslot thing is a super big deal in Japan and Toei's had some primo landing spots for their stuff for awhile now. Digimon shows have normally been on Fuji TV (with the exception of Xros Wars and Appmon which were on TV Tokyo iirc) and normally in a timeslot on Sunday mornings in Japan. To make a comparison, it's why the big big shows stay on for years (stuff like Detective Conan, One Piece, etc) because they get eyes on them in those timeslots. Getting anywhere from 5-10+% ratings is a very big deal and long-runners in good timeslots will stay there as long as they keep that up.

It's why there was all this concern when Pokemon moved to a new timeslot alongside some of Toei's mainstays like Super Sentai and Kamen Rider and ratings looked terrible for awhile. These shows don't have the greatest ratings anymore anyways but take a megalith like Pokemon and it'll eat just about anyone's lunch for sure.

(To compare, it's been awhile since I checked, but Adventure: hasn't charted recently but it has definitely been an odd year so it's a bit hard to judge if it would have normally, due to all the other shows moving around etc. There's a simple version of a ratings chart here https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-12-18/japanese-animation-tv-ranking-december-7-13/.167586 and you can definitely see a pattern as to what ends up with good ratings and what doesn't.)

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm pretty sure this was not the case. Xros Wars was as long as it was because it managed to sell great.

As much as I was talking up Xros Wars earlier, it is true that the toy line did not sell well at all. Digimon (in general as of late) has made the bulk of its toys move to be stuff that collectors pick up on Premium Bandai. Even the new Digivice from the show was on Premium Bandai if I'm remembering right. Now, since they're attempting stuff like another card game and releasing it internationally, perhaps that'll change? That and the new Vital Bracelet (which they've said may be getting released internationally) could be the start of a new merchandise push too.

Seiyal fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 10, 2021

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

I'd almost get it more if it was a toy thing (but it's probably more of a card thing with the new TCG now) but yeah, that didn't work in any practical way at all.

This absolutely should have been Koushiro's big moment but nope, it's given again to Taichi. I would have maybe forgiven it if Sora had gotten further to help (Hikari's still fairly new and Takeru had his episode a couple back now) but nope, denied. You're fodder to get to the big bad bug and then it's the chosen one's turn again. If the kids "have" to earn the right to evolve to Mega/Ultimate then show it off more than just 1 time before they do it? I mean, I'm glad that they seem to be willing to at least attempt to show that the other kids have the ability to hit that level but it almost feels too little, too late at this point? It's absolutely crystal clear that if you aren't Taichi, Yamato or their siblings that you won't be getting anything sort of a satisfying go-round of plot.

That being said, I still do appreciate that the show is willing to give us absolutely overlooked mons (and a couple of new ones like best doggo) from time to time in regards to showing up on screen... just to be blasted away by the chosen few (or used as transportation).

Man, there's enough that I want to like about this show but the flaws chewing away at the scenery have worn very thin at this point.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

After falling off of the show after the resolution of Tailmon's arc, I come back to a fantastically odd filler episode. Man show, if you did more random stuff like this, I feel like there would have been slightly less criticism of how things have gone. Also, it was great to see some lesser seen mons and one long lost relic from Adventure.

One thing I will say is keep bringing more Frontier mons, they've been wonderful to see again and if I'm reading my summaries right, there's only 1 missing before we've had at least 1 form from the five "bad" mons so please, let's complete the set Toei.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Nodosaur posted:

Holy crap they gave Devimon an origin.

And a design reasoning for HolyAngemon's ensemble as well. Sadly it looks like next week is a Taichi filler with possible illusions for another Ultimate/Mega but we'll see.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Finally nice to start seeing something other than the expected combo save the day (even though it was a pretty short sequence, they still got *something* at least). The episode went by in a flash and it didn't seem to cover any major new ground but it seemed fine overall. Next week's a return to the hot springs, a familiar mon and a very unfamiliar mon, this is only the 2nd time Kabukimon's been animated iirc? Unfortunately, that makes it seem like an even more likely event that Tailmon's going to take the spotlight in what would seem like a Gomamon specific episode.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Omnicrom posted:

Episode 54: hey remember when Adventure 20 was really great week to week and had a lot of promise and potential? Man it's been a while. Still, this episode was a really on point callback to those halcyon days and not just because of who showed up. Really strong action and a story that, while simple, was still paced really well and told quite effectively.

It's a Mimi episode next week and those have consistently been very strong, so I'm pulling for Rosemon to have a better showing than Hououmon.

Obviously it's not next week to tell yet but it really seems better tailor-made to surprise us all and have an alt evolution into BanchoLillymon instead of Rosemon but with the episode count as it is, I guess there's not much choice there.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

It felt like they were trying for some Studio Trigger flashy battle in the finale but the rest of the show sort of made it lack that substance to make that feel earned? I'll give it that it gave us some animated mons for the first time and I believe we got mons from almost all existing shows before it (minus Appmon of course) too. Other than that, I think we can safely say that this season absolutely fell well below what anyone expected it to be.

I appreciate the insert songs this season as well but yeah... I think I'll just be over here trying to be cautiously optimistic of Ghost Game's premiere.

The second-longest Digimon show has ended, and here's looking towards the future!

Seiyal fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 26, 2021

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Ghost Game thoughts:

OP/ED are alright. Have time to grow on me and even though the ED is basically a slideshow, I like the focus on the art there.

(episode spoilers below)

Actual episode reminded me far more of episode 1 of Kitaro (down to even the focus on social media) which is a break from most episode 1's we normally get in Digimon. Also made Clockmon to be far scarier than I think it's ever been in any other media. The arrival of Gammamon and the disappearance of Dad was rather fast paced and the rest of the episode basically sped off from there. Nice hinting with the stealing of the girls time at the beginning of the episode to allude to Gammamon's future evolution. (and it was nice that we didn't just go straight into an evolution either) With Clockmon not defeated this episode and the next seemingly focusing on Mummymon, it'll be interesting to see where that thread goes.

Also, it was kind of nice to see all 3 of the kids in parts of the episode but not all showing up with mons to start off. Some parallels to other series (Appmon) definitely with Ruli and (Young Hunters) with the Digital World that we see looks more like DigiQuartz.

I'd been avoiding much of the leadup to the show so I absolutely forgot about the product placement of the Digivice V so that was fun to rediscover.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

I'm actually really excited to see these DiM card lineups myself. While my wallet is very happy that they just stuck with the 6 kids, it does kind of suck that this likely means that the other warriors are likely relegated to slots on these cards, instead of having full cards themselves. It would have been nice to see how their lines would have been figured out too but Frontier is getting cards and that's okay in my book.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

drrockso20 posted:

I mean they could be saving those for later alongside a Corrupted Darkness card

That would be even better, of course, yes, so we'll see what happens.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Weeks are rather busy so I’ve only just now started to get back to the game. I’m not entirely far in yet (probably still in the tutorial/ch 1 range) but I’d been focusing on just 1 set of options so far (which seems to be the Moral route, on a glance).

From what is mentioned above, what sort of range do you need to get to unlock the other routes etc? It’s sounding like it’s best to keep all 3 choices around the same level? Apologies if there are already well known solutions, I’ve not really played a VN before this (and don’t really have time outside of the weekend) so I want to make sure I’m doing it effectively if possible.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Kortel posted:

Built a really basic Sakuyamon deck.
I wiped a Jesmon board in two cards. Holy crap.

Well, you can’t just end the story like that, you’ve got me curious. Plus, I’m interested in your deck build as someone who really wanted to try out a Sakuyamon deck too.

That is, if you don’t mind me asking. :allears:

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

So, with Dimension Phase (aka BT-11) coming out next month, Bandai held a poll awhile back to ask what cards people would like to see alt art/AAs for and they've been announcing the top 10 over the past week. We don't know what order the vote came in but here are the cards they revealed.

(lots of card art underneath that I'm failing to get to link properly)

Seraphimon BT1-063
MetalTyrannomon BT2-046
RustTyrannomon BT2-051
Gazimon BT3-077
Hidden Potential Discovered! BT3-103
Commandramon BT4-063
Hexeblaumon BT5-032
Eosmon LV5 BT6-085
Dorimon BT7-005
Zephyrmon BT7-036

Seiyal fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 24, 2023

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

If you’re interested in the Digimon Card Game, the US Nationals are being streamed this weekend online with commentary via CoreTCG. Commentators are TheEgman, LuisthePanda and Digi-Panda. (Nationals are using the BT-11 card set)

https://www.twitch.tv/theegman

Seiyal fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 25, 2023

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Omnicrom posted:

As for bans I'll be happy if they take DeathXmon out behind the shed and put two Ouryukens through its head. I also wouldn't be averse to gutting Cool Boy either, but given the Meta isn't particularly bad right now I hope they don't go too overboard.

I don’t think the Meta is in a great place right now though, tbh. It was made crystal clear at Nationals that outside of Japan, there’s only a handful of decks even viable right now (besides the massively popular BWGX, you've got Xros Heart, Blue Flare, Grandis, for a few examples). When nearly half of all Top 32’s are BWGX though, it’s not a great look.

At the very least, I’d imagine that deck is getting a few key pieces nerfed or even fully banned. Cool Boy and Hades Force are the big offenders but I wouldn’t be surprised to see GreymonX in there as well. DeathXmon, being a SEC, I could go down to 1 or banned and we also saw that Hidden Power Discovered! had some good showings so I do wonder if they’ll finally just ban it altogether.

There’s a few other cards I could imagine being hit (promo Garurumon, Cerberusmon: Werewolf Mode, or some other X mons like Omnimon that added far more fuel to the X decks). We’re also just about a month out of BT-12 which gives some additional counters to BWGX and some additional support to other decks like Imperialdramon, Red Hybrid, and the last bit of current support for Xros Wars and new Hunters decks.

The Meta could be worse (BT-8/9 wasn’t that long ago) but if Bandai does a decent job of truly hitting needed cards, we hopefully will see a bigger mix of decks out there for play.

I’d personally like to see them go over the ban list and actually overhaul it so cards that aren’t major offenders anymore (which, could be argued that most anything older outside of HPD and Mega Digimon Fusion! isn’t the biggest of threats) could get reinstated.

I’ll also be interested to see how Ultimate Cup goes this month, since it’s “basically restricted” to 1 color decks (give or take) and what people come up with. And who knows, Worlds could end up not being a problem depending on what decks are brought to the table (and where Bandai decides the cut-off point should be for which sets are allowed).

Seiyal fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 12, 2023

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

King of Solomon posted:

The hard counter to BWGX is Grandis, not Xros Heart.

I knew I was gonna screw something up sorry, yes I meant Grandis. My small locals group has been discussing BWGX and Xros Heart lately as they've both been the big decks people are running atm so I mixed things up, apologies. Thanks for the heads up!

Seiyal fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 12, 2023

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

The Adventure 2020 dub has launched… on the Microsoft Store?

It’s been split into 5 “seasons” of roughly 13-14 episodes each so you too can own the series for only approx $115 (in SD). It’s $176 if you get everything in HD.

(Also locked to Windows-only devices it seems?)

:sweatdrop:

Seiyal fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 14, 2023

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Place your bets as to what’s in the works here…

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1680751988181704705?t=nEDjAIjWr8SiBSWyRRebvg&s=19

A summary of above tweet for those who can’t read/see tweets anymore: A secret Digimon Screening Event on the 29th at Otakon - 2:15pm (3 hours long by Discotek Media)

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Specifically mentioning the card game makes me wonder if we’ll be seeing some sort of online client with a story to it. Wouldn’t put it past Bandai to just put out another manga (considering the contest they held earlier this year) but we also know that the Dragon Ball game is getting a refresh with a digital client as well. Also putting “metaverse” in the teaser screams some sort of online venture.

Whether or not that’s true remains to be seen of course but the scrambled text in the YouTube visual screen cap seems to say “Digimon Liberation/Liberator” which could fit if they’re going a digital card game route.

Seiyal fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 30, 2023

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Can’t wait to start seeing 3-color Agumon/Gabumon and their evos so they can splash into even more decks. :sweatdrop:

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Also considering that Digimon-Con is this weekend, we may get some clarity on that as well, so who knows. It may still be limited to the new cool toy that is Liberation but I also wouldn’t be surprised if we get some smaller (final?) updates for Seekers and Dreamers as well.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

It’s Liberator release day!

Please enjoy a video about known and new stuff about the Liberator theme decks and the Liberator side-set, EX-7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2V5BdYfJgU

and the first full chapter of the webcomic/webtoon/whatever you want to call it is also up:

https://digimoncard.com/digimon_liberator/en/comic/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Larryb posted:

So is it just me or is the comic taking a really long time to load

Site’s been overloaded since the comic dropped and has crashed at least once so it may be later in the day before they fix the access to the site.