Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I mean, for comparison:

(also Hi I haven't posted in this thread before because I didn't know we had one but big digimon fan)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Yeah a lot of them are kind of overdetailed in a way that definitely doesn't appeal to everyone. Some of them are kinda cool though.

And then there's the issue of the natural carriers, which vary from "Definitely overdesigned x-antibody thing" to "why is this not just called [obvious equivalent digimon] X-Antibody" to "That looks like a normal digimon, neat."

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Blaze Dragon posted:

In Japan, it's already 1st of April, so it's Tamers' 20th anniversary! The absolute best Digimon has ever been - and, sadly, will likely ever be. The official account has put up art to commemorate this too!
https://twitter.com/digimonweb_net/status/1377410382306836482

"I've got bread that looks like my head!"

"Me too!"

"And me!"

"Mine's a gun!"

*Everyone looks at Impmon*

Blaze Dragon posted:

They're also releasing Dim Cards with four of the Tamers protagonists, excluding Terriermon since only two SaintGalgomon variations exist so they'd have to make a new sprite for the third instead of barely editting the same sprite three times.
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1377419884632494082

They could use Gold Rapidmon or Rapidmon X (which is gold)...

And Medarot reciprocated again, with new content this time!
https://twitter.com/medarotsha/status/1377425545621762051

The Golux fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 1, 2021

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

So apparently they're releasing an actual DiM for the Vital Brace that has Omedamon in it... as an additional bonus with the new Medarotch/Medawatch V-Pet.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's apparently real, it's on P-Bandai's site and can be bought so it'd be literal fraud if it wasn't. However, any Medabot that appears in the Dim Card will not be added to the Vital Bracelet Reference Lab, so they won't get profiles or art or anything. They're essentially cameos.

Who was properly added though is Metabee, who is now playable in ReArise as Omedamon's Child form. Rokusho also appears during evolution (confirming Omedamon is a Jogress that skips all the way from Child to Mega), but isn't playable. Here's both Metabee and Omedamon in action:
https://twitter.com/digimon_rearise/status/1377534950518349826
https://twitter.com/digimon_rearise/status/1377519851305058306

Metabee's attack is Meta Machinegun & Meta Missile, Omedamon's is Beetle Cannon & Scissors Sword.

On the other side, GreyWars and GaruruMetal were added to the Medabots gacha. I have no knowledge of this one, but it's still neat that both sides get two playable characters!
https://twitter.com/medarot_S/status/1377526937665466368

Omega Knight was added too, I think, it was created last year but didn't get put in the game.

I'm really glad they're actually doing something with the crossover beyond just the art this year!

Also I they announced that the Medarot DiM is gonna be available separately (probably because of high demand).

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I mean the problem with the show is probably not the content so much as that the artstyle and some of the voices are viscerally unpleasant to a lot of people.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Hot take.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Frozomon is like a snow-equipment version of Raidenmon

It's a perfect-level though

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

no but it's probably intended less as "Frost version of corrupted beast spirit of darkness Velgrmon" and more "Frost Hresvelgr as a pun." Hresvelgr is written フレスベルグ furesuberugu in Japanese, so Frosvelgrmon (フロスベルグモン, furosuberugumon) is only one character away from what Hresvelgrmon would be.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

TBF it is a better transliteration of the original katakana name than Diablomon. In hindsight it was probably supposed to be Diavolomon.

I use "Diabolomon" and I've never had anyone actually complain. The greek word it comes from is Diabolos anyway.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Leraika posted:

Yeah, I don't know poo poo about the card game, but it's fun to see the new art and the cards that you think are interesting.

The art for the new game is pretty great!

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I think they came out during the Xros Wars era?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I don't mind Mervamon but I wish she had the proper monster-head-with-human-lower-face-in-the-mouth like Marsmon, Mercurymon, Neptunemon, and Minervamon.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Large, Scary friend!

Also, dunno how widely noticed this is, but Gundramon has specifically 21 guns.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yoxtu is stupid even for Bandai's usual romanization mess ups and I refuse to use it

Yeah some data entry person who isn't good at english or critical thinking typed in "ヨッ!ヨッ!モン" in katakana for the katakana name and then switched the IME to romaji did the exact same keystrokes for the english name (x in front is how you make a character small when it's not in a commonly-used situation in the japanese romaji-to-kana text input systems I've seen)

New KoDokugumon is much better for use as a standalone thing but I think the older design is more suited for "the spiders Dokugumon shoots out as an attack."

They also made Yo!Yo!mon an adult when the submitted art for it (the only previous source) had it as a perfect, but I like it as adult better so it can evolve into mamemons and stuff.

I keep doing double-takes at how red the dekachimons are. And I'm not sure if I can imagine them separately.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Blaze Dragon posted:

Talking about knights,
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1392445120092512256

I feel hiring Skull/Dark/MusoKnightmon as your bodyguard isn't a great idea.

Yeah the number of good choices there is much lower than the number of choices.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

The original chosen childrens' partners becoming the sovereigns wasn't a bad idea. Some of the specific lines used (Or the ones that are similar to them in ReArise) aren't great tho.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Yeah I don't think any of the lines are terrible, though they could be improved.

(For those keeping score at home, the lines, based on the ones from ReArise:
Elecmon (virus) > Tuskmon > Triceramon > Qinglongmon
Kamemon > DinoHumon > Orochimon > Xuanwumon
Bearmon > Grizzmon > LoaderLeomon > Baihumon
Muchomon > Akatorimon > Hippogriffomon > Zhuqiaomon
and presumably would have been Bakumon > Monochromon > Megadramon > Huanglongmon)

The thing that feels weird to me is that several of those digimon are later designs than the sovereigns, some much later, and they mismatch aesthetically in weird ways.

But yes the actual scenario where they showed it was in the part where Tri had fumbled the plot ball entirely out of the stadium so it didn't get any kind of good showing. I do like the idea that the original sovereigns evolved from somewhat random things, but the evolving from devas was a succession from that. For that, I like to use Caturamon for Baihumon even though it's a dog because it has aesthetic similarities; North and south are harder because their attributes are different (North is Vaccine and South is virus while east and west are both data). I was vaguely satisfied with Vikaralamon for Xuanwumon and Sandiramon for south, for direct promotions. Mixing them around might be preferable to some people though. As far as the mismatches, there's only so much you can do with mythology.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Just be careful, Gewaltschwärmer wipes your board (of low level things) too.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

21% of people made the correct choice

13% of people think they have the strongest rear end in the world.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

nine-gear crow posted:

A gun-toting sexy nun? Who spilled Bayonetta all over my Digimon?

For Noir, not BeelStarmon? Who actually has guns in her shoes?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Larryb posted:

So is Kirby Burpmon a new Digimon or has it appeared in something else before?

It was in the Digimon Twin devices, but as a fail state when you got your digimons too fat. They'd turn back to normal if you trained their weight back down.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I think the "name 10 digimon" "greymon" one is a little more apropos.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

mandatory lesbian posted:

Half the american greymon arent even greymon in japan which like i guess it sucks to change the name after so long but still, probably should bite the bullet

You still get Regular, Blue, Metal, Blue Metal, War, BlackWar, Blitz, Geo, Rize, Shine, Shine Burst Mode, Shine Ruin Mode, XW, XW-Metal, Decker, Zeke, X Antibody, X Antibody Metal, X Antibody Metal Blue, X Antibody War, X Antibody BlackWar, Ancient, and Kaiser, plus Original Movie Big Scary Version and a bunch of semiofficial color variations like the grey and orange versions of the Xros Wars version, so...

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

...I feel like that earth circle could have been done a bit better with an actual math program or something (or spending much more time with it for paint)

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

The band is replaceable though, unless I'm greatly misinformed. And I'm pretty sure they're working on a US release.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Bun gets called a "Damemon" as in "A digimon that is no good" in the manga.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Larryb posted:

I’ll believe it when I see it. We did get this new image recently though:

...Not sure if yamaki is pulling off that outfit. Glad he rates as a main/protagonist though.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Kouji and Tomoki are both blue? and they made Izumi yellow and Junpei green? I guess that works, but wouldn't have been my first choice (Tomoki blue, Kouji yellow, Izumi green, Junpei black in addition to the obvious Takuya red and Kouichi purple).

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Nodosaur posted:

they're not doing Impmon and Monodramon? lame.

I mean, not yet? They could easily do 04 and 05 later if they want.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

mimi steals the show.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

thetoughestbean posted:

There’s a moment in the finale of Xros Wars where Taiki dodges a swipe from Bagramon by doing a backflip and it made me laugh out loud when I was watching it. The show never had Taiki ever show that level of athleticism before that point

I mean the start of the series is him being an occasional ringer for literally every sports team in his school.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Omnicrom posted:

Looks like they finally gave Entmon an evolution.

And Tropiamon. It looks pretty Biollante-ish.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

drrockso20 posted:

finally got around to making the next of my DIM Card style Sprite Charts, this time for Tentomon;

I definitely feel like Omedamon should be in the bottom mega slot; that's the one that is the final boss of that DiM's story mode and can't be evolved into until you complete the story mode. Ebemon doesn't quite have the punch for that, IMO.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Nodosaur posted:

The best Royal Knight is Craniummon

Certainly one of my favorites.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I think the anime actually pronounced it ko-ella (i.e., incorrectly) in the australia ep of 02?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Burkion posted:

The point is, even in Tamers, Digimon clearly do have gender and sexual identities

Just some of them don't.

I feel like Renamon's line is more about "Look, sometimes an Angemon evolves into an Angewomon and then into a Holydramon and we don't find that weird."

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

DoctorWhat posted:

I always had this vibe that Ruki was right on the edge of being raised by grandma as her mom's baby sister.

Yeah that scans for me, but Rumiko probably wanted to be her mom (even though she's not great at it).

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

...does it not have a cover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Blaze Dragon posted:

Shoutmon X7 Superior Mode was finally added to the Digimon Reference Book. Not sure how this one took so long, but there he is.

I wouldn't post just for that. No, he was added with someone far more unexpected - one of the few Digimon (if she can be even called that) that I never in a million years expected to see in the DRB, or even referenced by anything ever again. Yet here we are. Luminamon (version NENE) was added to the DRB too. Her design was updated and looks significantly better, thankfully, and she's a Perfect-level, Vaccine-attribute like Luminamon, with her type being Composite like most DigiXrosses. No attacks, which I guess makes sense.

I imagine we'll get Shademon (version NENE) soon too, since it's weird to have one but not the other. Hopefully we'll get Shoutmon X6 with her, since that one we know little to nothing about since it existed for like two panels in the manga and nowhere else.

EX6 I want to see, isn't X6 just X7 but without the starmon backpack?