Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Am I correct in assuming that Flameblast is just a gimmicky piece of poo poo? I'm struggling to think of a scenario where it would be useful, but it seems like the time spent charging it up would be better spent using literally anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frank Horrigan posted:

Am I correct in assuming that Flameblast is just a gimmicky piece of poo poo? I'm struggling to think of a scenario where it would be useful, but it seems like the time spent charging it up would be better spent using literally anything else.

i used it to good effect in act 1 in a few spots but after a while it just got me killed so idk, maybe if it was on a support cast like on stun?

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Finally got around to finishing Act 3. End credit music is hilariously bad and out of place.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

- passive skills got reworked to be far simpler, you get big upgrades more often
- way more skill gems and way more of them drop so you're not at the end of act 2 still shooting fireballs at things
- drop rates have been relaxed in general so that you dont have a level 15 sword in nightmare mode, you actually find good poo poo pretty often
- you can set the loot to be assigned to people at random permanently, or classic D2 fighting over loot (most people set it to permanent allocation tho)
- way more uniques that are actual interesting uniques you can build characters around

the game owns. i havent been able to stop playing it. there is also a poo poo ton of endgame content through the randomized maps, including ~true~ final bosses and new dungeons and stuff.

give this game a chance. maybe we can make an imp guild

PoE is a pretty pro game. Like it more then Diablo 3.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
It's definitely a better Diablo game than D3 is, but out of the whole genre right now I think Marvel Heroes is the most fun. It's a pretty shallow and simple game compared to Path of Exile, but goddamn if running into a room and nuking it so hard that 50 people go flying in every direction isn't fun as heck.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have Lesser Multiple Projectiles and Fork on Split Arrows on a Storm Cloud unique. Coating huge waves of monsters in blue crit juice. I'll be sad when it gets so weak I have to swap it out for a regular bow.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

I have Lesser Multiple Projectiles and Fork on Split Arrows on a Storm Cloud unique. Coating huge waves of monsters in blue crit juice. I'll be sad when it gets so weak I have to swap it out for a regular bow.

You will find or make something better, trust me

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BERGfu posted:

You will find or make something better, trust me
It's carried me all the way to the Solaris Temple. I tried Doomfletch for a while but all that does is help if something totally resists elemental damage, and I've only seen a Vaal side area boss do that. I think I'm mostly just doing good now because I have gloves and rings that add damage on hit. But yeah I unlocked the bowmaker's tool bench for my hideout or whatever so I can probably just buy some regular bows and spam currency orbs on them or something.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
The RNG favored my alch roll today, so I'm finally replacing my Hrimnor's Hymn if anybody wants it.

It's pre-1.0, so its rolls are lower than what's actually possible in-game now. Own a piece of history! :haw:

edit: VVV This thing dropped for me at level 16. I'm level 40 and just now replacing it.

Frank Horrigan fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 13, 2015

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

If you are playing an archer there is a unique bow you can equip at level 32 called Death's Harp or something. That bow combined with the ability Tornado Shot and the Lesser Multiple Projectile support gem is a bunch of damage. I didn't switch to a new weapon for 20 levels.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

soscannonballs posted:

If you are playing an archer there is a unique bow you can equip at level 32 called Death's Harp or something. That bow combined with the ability Tornado Shot and the Lesser Multiple Projectile support gem is a bunch of damage. I didn't switch to a new weapon for 20 levels.

i have three loving unique bows so far so here's hoping

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Larry Parrish posted:

i bet cast on melee kill combined with poo poo like ice nova is super baller on a templar

Idk how to optimize gifs with gifcam but I made a gif of this + detonate dead to confirm how cool it is, here

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Heavy Lobster posted:

Idk how to optimize gifs with gifcam but I made a gif of this + detonate dead to confirm how cool it is, here

i want that

Dec 26, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

cool

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heavy Lobster posted:

:stare:

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Heavy Lobster posted:

Look at this pro rocking a tabula rasa

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hahaha I just beat the game for the first time on my Ranger. :megadeath:

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
about to face Piety for the first time as my ranger. Actually enjoying this game a lot more than I thought it would. It has improved a lot over the last year or so.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
My specter doesn't seem as good as I want it to be

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i had a dream that i found a tabula rasa

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

My specter doesn't seem as good as I want it to be

spectres are kind of meh i've noticed. some enemies are a lot better than others to clone. typically i spectre mages or ranged poo poo that stays in the back where its bitch rear end isn't going to get killed, or enemies with massive health pools like giant statues from act 3.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I haven't gotten the specter skill yet. More minions!!!!

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just threw spectral throw and a superior fork on a unique two hander, only to discover that fork doesn't work with spectral throw

i am in a huff

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Died at level 38 to the last boss. He transformed and did that giant hand grab that pulls you across the map and fucks you. I should have been smart and leveled more because the plight of the necromancer vs. Bosses. Lesson learned haha.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kazvall posted:

Died at level 38 to the last boss. He transformed and did that giant hand grab that pulls you across the map and fucks you. I should have been smart and leveled more because the plight of the necromancer vs. Bosses. Lesson learned haha.

you mean dominus? yeah his second form can be ridiculously easy for melee characters and almost impossible for squishier characters

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

you mean dominus? yeah his second form can be ridiculously easy for melee characters and almost impossible for squishier characters

Yeah I'm just assuming he's the last dude because of the epic encounter. I was fine til he transformed and the suicide bombers came. Then I couldn't keep my pets up. I think I'll make a shield/mace marauder.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I died to him at level uhhh 37 I think, as a duelist.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Wormskull posted:

I died to him at level uhhh 37 I think, as a duelist.

The bastard. We'll get him next time. I had 50% resists(no chaos) and about 1,000 health but it wasn't enough.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I had like 20% resists and 800 hp and I had a bunch of gear from level 20 since I couldn't find anything with the right slots. But, whatever/

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had a really hard time with my ranger. I think it'd be easier if I was melee.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

I had a really hard time with my ranger. I think it'd be easier if I was melee.

on higher difficulties, he makes it rain blood which almost instantly murders any class even the tankiest ones unless you're in a protective shield that surrounds him. so you're stuck in his attack range.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

on higher difficulties, he makes it rain blood which almost instantly murders any class even the tankiest ones unless you're in a protective shield that surrounds him. so you're stuck in his attack range.

still seems a lot better than the boring d3 bosses

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

He did this on Normal and it's why I died 450 thousand times because i was just spamming my AoE and couldn't see the shield.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHF2GbbMg-s Here's the 1/4 of the screen I captured of him beating me. It's a long probably boring one but, if there's someone out there who wanted to see it, there it is.

Dec 26, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

he does this on the normal difficulty too but you can probably tough it out

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

corrupting blood is the worst poo poo in this game

fighting a random rear end rare and i dont notice the affix, and then plop down goes my dude surrounded by like 20 red orbs

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Necromancer witch is easily the single most tedious thing I've tried in any diablo style game ever. It's way too easy to get an extremely boring build if your experimenting.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Wormskull posted:

Necromancer witch is easily the single most tedious thing I've tried in any diablo style game ever. It's way too easy to get an extremely boring build if your experimenting.

Yeah. It's for like when you're drinking and you don't want to use any active skills. You just want to spam pets and sit back. poo poo, I contemplated putting the rest of my points into shield passives after getting all the pet skills. It doesn't get much more boring than that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My total newbie blind Necromancer build was a lot more active and fun, but at the end of the day I just died over and over in Act 3 because I wasn't good enough at minions and I wasn't good enough at damage spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

hope in the next major expansion they do more poo poo with minions because atm it's pretty much the most boring and difficult build you can go with

it's like diablo 2 where it starts off as dumb fun having a bunch of undead following you around and then you get to the harder parts of the game and you're constantly resummoning and they're worthless against bosses and you go "oh poo poo oops"

if you get all of the right gear+sockets+gems you can have some crazy strong minions or you can just shoot massive waves of thunderballs at everything cheaply and witches are naturally built around this

• Locked thread