Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Even in Diablo 2 I learned right off that Skeletons were nearly worthless in general and I was 12. Diablo 3 actually has kind of epic summoning stuff, what ever else you may say about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah that's what happened to me. i didnt even get a skeleton gem, let alone any minion buffing equipment or gem drops. so i had zombies and in act 3, spectres, but i was spamming spark and ice nova to stay alive. actually my first ever witch is just a series of extremely bad luck drops in general. i didn't even get new spells after i found ice nova and spark in act 1.

i feel like they really ought to make plain jane low-quality skill gems much more likely to drop. a lot of the really fancy and cool skills are only available as quest rewards in cruel or merciless.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I did want to try to be a poison dagger necro but I never found a balrog's sharp or whatever so it was rough.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

yeah that's what happened to me. i didnt even get a skeleton gem, let alone any minion buffing equipment or gem drops. so i had zombies and in act 3, spectres, but i was spamming spark and ice nova to stay alive. actually my first ever witch is just a series of extremely bad luck drops in general. i didn't even get new spells after i found ice nova and spark in act 1.

i feel like they really ought to make plain jane low-quality skill gems much more likely to drop. a lot of the really fancy and cool skills are only available as quest rewards in cruel or merciless.

i have a stash with like 10 summon zombies+skeletons in it. the basic skills are really common, and are given as quest rewards for normal act 1/2/3.

there is some build defining stuff that's stupid rare though, but it's mostly support gems like multistrike.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

In d2 you had revive that lasted like 5-10 minutes. Those definitely weren't useless. You could have 30 revived guys and just spam curses all day. You'd still get absolutely wrecked by bosses, though.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In D2 until it got murked I was a Blood Golem and Curse and Corpse Explosion Necro and didn't even bother with skeletons or revive because they were pure trash. Then they changed how the curse worked, I think it was Iron Maiden you had to use with BG, so I had to switch to a Iron Golem with uhhh amplify pain I believe but it wasn't nearly as awesome.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kazvall posted:

In d2 you had revive that lasted like 5-10 minutes. Those definitely weren't useless. You could have 30 revived guys and just spam curses all day. You'd still get absolutely wrecked by bosses, though.

d2 had bosses deal several times their normal damage to minions and hirelings though. iirc they dealt 10 times the damage to minions and took severely reduced damage from em. because gently caress you for picking a summon build

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Summoners were really powerful in D2. You could solo uber tristram naked as a summoner, you just had to get the right revives. Summoners were really strong in PoE about 2 seasons ago, so much that they had to nerf them. I don't know exactly how it worked, but you could use Cast on Death and I think Remote Mine linked to Raise Specter and kill yourself in normal mode to not lose exp and revive the Burned Miscreations in Lunaris Temple. The game would snapshot the huge %damage increase from Cast on Death and Remote Mine, and your spectres would deal a huge amount of constant aoe damage with their Righteous Fire. I think the current "summoner" build revolves around Summon Raging Spirits so it plays like a regular caster, except instead of casting spells you are casting a massive army of the little skulls from Doom which wreck everything.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

soscannonballs posted:

Summoners were really powerful in D2. You could solo uber tristram naked as a summoner, you just had to get the right revives. Summoners were really strong in PoE about 2 seasons ago, so much that they had to nerf them. I don't know exactly how it worked, but you could use Cast on Death

LOL.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

soscannonballs posted:

Summoners were really powerful in D2. You could solo uber tristram naked as a summoner, you just had to get the right revives. Summoners were really strong in PoE about 2 seasons ago, so much that they had to nerf them. I don't know exactly how it worked, but you could use Cast on Death and I think Remote Mine linked to Raise Specter and kill yourself in normal mode to not lose exp and revive the Burned Miscreations in Lunaris Temple. The game would snapshot the huge %damage increase from Cast on Death and Remote Mine, and your spectres would deal a huge amount of constant aoe damage with their Righteous Fire. I think the current "summoner" build revolves around Summon Raging Spirits so it plays like a regular caster, except instead of casting spells you are casting a massive army of the little skulls from Doom which wreck everything.

I'm really tempted to use Scion for this since they start really close to cast length and cast speed skills.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Though you could probably do something kinda fun with the flying skull guys.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Though you could probably do something kinda fun with the flying skull guys.

i saw a guy with a tabula rasa summoning huge swarms up them and they annihilated everything in level 74~77 maps before other people in the party had a chance to attack

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
D2 summoners aka fishymancers were actually strong as gently caress, and probably the cheapest endgame build in the whole game. skeleton mage was garbage but the basic skeletons were really good, as were those revives that got crushing blow. the summons worked really well with enigma too

Dec 26, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Even in Diablo 2 I learned right off that Skeletons were nearly worthless in general and I was 12. Diablo 3 actually has kind of epic summoning stuff, what ever else you may say about it.

i didnt figure it out right off, but i sure put it together as soon as i hit the act 2 boss and all of my skeletons evaporated instantly

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

you guys who were unable to make skeletons work in D2 - was this pre or post LoD? if it was post LoD then I'm sad to say you may be bad at videogames.

Dec 26, 2012

pre for sure. i assume they got buffed later but hell if that didnt turn me off the concept for years

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

ah okay that makes sense. you should play LoD at some point. it's pretty good.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i started playing marvel heroes 2015 and it's pretty fun

sorry path of exile but i couldn't stomach crawling through your loving jungle two more times

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

im still liking poe but the parts i like are all the bits that arent the campaign. I enjoy opening dangerous strongboxes and doing those *corrupted* areas you find sometimes because they break the monotony

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Endgame has the maps or whatever that let you run random dungeons but boy if it isn't a climb to get there.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

im also getting bored of selling rares and never finding anything cooler. the skill gem system was cool at first but with all the stat requirements etc it makes switching out gear really freaking tiresome

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saki posted:

im also getting bored of selling rares and never finding anything cooler. the skill gem system was cool at first but with all the stat requirements etc it makes switching out gear really freaking tiresome

I found like 6 uniques in the same day... :stare:

They were all low level though so only good for leveling dudes.

If you have a few Chaos Orbs you could just buy something 6-linked that's pretty good for one of your slots.

Dec 26, 2012

Saki posted:

ah okay that makes sense. you should play LoD at some point. it's pretty good.

i did but just never a skeleton guy again. it was not terribly interesting before i hit that particular wall anyway because even when it was working well i mostly just trucked around and the game owned itself around me

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

I found like 6 uniques in the same day... :stare:

They were all low level though so only good for leveling dudes.

If you have a few Chaos Orbs you could just buy something 6-linked that's pretty good for one of your slots.

I've found 2 uniques and I think my ranger is about level 50 now

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saki posted:

I've found 2 uniques and I think my ranger is about level 50 now

I had to buy the 4-link Death's Harp I've been using... :negative: Mine's level 49 though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Saki posted:

D2 summoners aka fishymancers were actually strong as gently caress, and probably the cheapest endgame build in the whole game. skeleton mage was garbage but the basic skeletons were really good, as were those revives that got crushing blow. the summons worked really well with enigma too

I think that build only became really good when they introduced skill synergies.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

what? checking poe.trade anything with 6 links demands multiple exalted orbs. even a white item with six links is extremely coveted.

you can keep rerolling an item with alchs and get something really good eventually, but rerolling sockets/links is incredibly expensive

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Bobnumerotres posted:

what? checking poe.trade anything with 6 links demands multiple exalted orbs. even a white item with six links is extremely coveted.

you can keep rerolling an item with alchs and get something really good eventually, but rerolling sockets/links is incredibly expensive

goons like to talk poo poo about games but dont know the damndest thing about them

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Oh right I forgot people trade in this.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I once traded 60/40 armor in d2 for an 08 vampgaze.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I traded a 6 perfect emerald sword to a guy for him to dupe it and then he left the server.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wormskull posted:

I traded a 6 perfect emerald sword to a guy for him to dupe it and then he left the server.

Lmao.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

/me remembers the time Wormskull was swindled out of a rare TF2 hat live on the forums.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I think I'd play D2 again if I could get a free Blackbog's Sharp and a Vamp Gaze.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

/me remembers the time Wormskull was swindled out of a rare TF2 hat live on the forums.

I just give them away generally anyway so hell, whatever.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Wormskull posted:

I think I'd play D2 again if I could get a free Blackbog's Sharp and a Vamp Gaze.

Everyone uses Runewords now.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
I found out today that one of my uniques doesn't drop in-game anymore, so I decided to check the prices on it. 2-4 orbs of fusing. :smith:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frank Horrigan posted:

I found out today that one of my uniques doesn't drop in-game anymore, so I decided to check the prices on it. 2-4 orbs of fusing. :smith:

Must be rare....

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
That lightning trap guy in the tower is loving bullshit, only beat him because his AI bugged and he stopped throwing traps non stop.

It's kinda weird they make such "bosses" when you can just respawn for free and go up the stairs in two clicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

me and my friend started playing this today and beat act 1. I'm a summon witch and he's a duelist. it's pretty fun and I've been using like 7 skills consistently, I really like the skull summon.

so far I've gotten the exploding minions thing in the passive sphere grid. what else is good for a summoner that's also using a bit of magic?

• Locked thread