Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Harada vs Shinogi was pretty good, we need more Jobber x Jobber matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jobbers are cool

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://mangadex.org/chapter/79e66e98-98a0-4b5b-a736-43ca15088335/

it's over

the father-son releationship is mended the manga has nowhere to go now

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Always strikes me how much of baki outside of fights is just dudes walking and crowds reacting

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
wholesome chapter

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel like everyone is a little too impressed by this biting thing

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I love the chapters that are just the narrator worshipfully describing a dude’s physiognomy. The panelling is done so well, its like a documentary. AND we get praise for the primordial art of destruction: Biting, from God himself? This is peak Baki.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I feel like everyone is a little too impressed by this biting thing

Well, if nothing else it's at least novel!

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I won't lie I do kind of like Jack's entire win at any cost gently caress it thing. His whole speech saying everyone else is a little bitch because they won't take drugs to get stronger. You'll cowards don't even take steroids.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
y’all cowards won’t even show your entire assholes

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Ytlaya posted:

Well, if nothing else it's at least novel!
I feel like it was more novel 20 years ago when he bit shibukawa's achilles tendon off.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

itagaki adding new things to describe about fighters. think this is the first time he mentioned some quality of yujiros skin

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I like how Yujiro murdered Bakis mom but Baki still looks up to Yujiro. Yujiro also raped Jacks mom but Jack still idolizes him lol

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Collapsing Farts posted:

I like how Yujiro murdered Bakis mom but Baki still looks up to Yujiro. Yujiro also raped Jacks mom but Jack still idolizes him lol

Bakiverse morality is... unique. Things happen or don't happen depending on whether or not a punchman has both the desire and the ability (that is, physical strength) to make that thing happen or to prevent it from happening. If so, a punchman's will has been done, and the result is, by necessity, strong, beautiful, correct, and holy. If not, he can only have been thwarted by a stronger, holier, etc. punchman.

Baki and Jack understand this and accept that whether or not the things Yuujiro did to their moms were 'right' or 'wrong' was decided when he did them and was not stopped. Punchman does thing, thing is right and good. I think Itagaki honestly believes this on some level.

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 2, 2023

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'd say wanting to be acknowledged by a parent, if you hate them, is pretty realistic too.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Itagaki’s mind is from another dimension. This series introduces concepts like “Yujiro isn’t bisexual or gay, he is just so manly that everyone else on the planet is a woman in comparison” and takes it seriously. The only other person who I think is on this level of unhinged is Neil Breen.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Everyone makes a big deal about the ogre when a net and some tranq darts do the job

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The "Strong" is the "Beautiful"

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Collapsing Farts posted:

I liked when Baki was about to have sexo-da with his girlfriendo and Yujiro randomly bursts in through the window YES YES YES CONSUME HER LET HIM FEAST ON YOU AND GAIN TRUE POWERS IT IS YOUR JOB AS A WIFE BROUHAHAHAHA *leaves*

Bisse fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 4, 2023

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Baki has a lot of weird poo poo in it and like, i've only seen the netflix animes, but the weirdest poo poo to me was the whole deal with Muhammad Ali Jr. The concept was super cool and a really interesting first half. Then suddenly someone pushed the 'ok enough coolness from this guy time to destroy him' button and
- everyone he previously fought and OHKO'd suddenly reappear to break his face and bones. "Oh i thought you were just having a play fight last time ok here's a real fight" ??? ok sure bro
- his own dad trains for months to reappear when he can barely walk thanks to broken bones to further beat the everloving poo poo out of him, this is a valuable lesson somehow
- he finally gets his shot against Baki and goes down in two hits accomplishing literally nothing
- afterwards he is crying like a baby saying he is not a fighter
- never reappears again

Like I can kind of understand the idea of showing the difference between trying to gain your fathers respect and actually living the Real Baki Fighting Life, but the execution is just so gross and meanspirited. Like what the gently caress.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Bisse posted:

Baki has a lot of weird poo poo in it and like, i've only seen the netflix animes, but the weirdest poo poo to me was the whole deal with Muhammad Ali Jr. The concept was super cool and a really interesting first half. Then suddenly someone pushed the 'ok enough coolness from this guy time to destroy him' button and
- everyone he previously fought and OHKO'd suddenly reappear to break his face and bones. "Oh i thought you were just having a play fight last time ok here's a real fight" ??? ok sure bro
- his own dad trains for months to reappear when he can barely walk thanks to broken bones to further beat the everloving poo poo out of him, this is a valuable lesson somehow
- he finally gets his shot against Baki and goes down in two hits accomplishing literally nothing
- never reappears again

Like I can kind of understand the idea of showing the difference between trying to gain your fathers respect and actually living the Real Baki Fighting Life, but the execution is just so gross and meanspirited. Like what the gently caress.

he flirted with Baki's girl and therefore he must be Punished

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bisse posted:

- never reappears again

Thats every new hot poo poo fighter in baki
Itagaki gets it in his head to introduce a new guy but wouldnt ypu know it he loves his core cast way too much (except retsu) and has them suddenly powercreep up and reassert themselves

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Don't think anything will beat the sumo guys and sumo itself getting glazed to the stratosphere, none of whom didn't get a single win, then the guy who was the second incarnation of true sumo getting humiliated by everyone.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Itagaki specifically goes after certain fighters and makes sure they not only lose, but lose in a very humiliating fashion. He has done this to Jack several times for example

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I think you'd have to have a pretty good grasp on what's going on in itagakis life to understand his plot decisions, it feels very personal in a way

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

nerdz posted:

I think you'd have to have a pretty good grasp on what's going on in itagakis life to understand his plot decisions, it feels very personal in a way

So he went to a sumo tournament, hated it, and then made the sumo wrestlers jobbers for a while. Got it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Thats every new hot poo poo fighter in baki
Itagaki gets it in his head to introduce a new guy but wouldnt ypu know it he loves his core cast way too much (except retsu) and has them suddenly powercreep up and reassert themselves

Unless you're Pickle

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kuros posted:

So he went to a sumo tournament, hated it, and then made the sumo wrestlers jobbers for a while. Got it.

My personal conspiracy theory is that it was a marketing deal with the japanese sumo association that fell through .

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
That’s what makes Baki special.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pierson posted:

Don't think anything will beat the sumo guys and sumo itself getting glazed to the stratosphere, none of whom didn't get a single win, then the guy who was the second incarnation of true sumo getting humiliated by everyone.

technically jobbertsumi lost tho (gave up out of pity)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

katsumi is the only core character itagaki hates because even with this opportunity for a free W he managed to snatch defeat out of jaws of victory

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Itagaki just writes about whatever he wants and if he changes his mind about something he will immediately pivot without much care for prior setup.

Motobe can go from mediocre Judo dude with a grudge against Yujiro to weapon master and only guy who knows what a “real fight to the death” is. Ali Jr can go from super prodigy rival guy to punk loser kid that sucks etc.

I bet Itagaki was happy to write sumo until he got bored and started thinking about how biting is really cool instead.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I bet Itagaki was happy to write sumo until he got bored and started thinking about how biting is really cool instead.

The sumo stuff was so funny, because the tone told us "sumo...is amazing" but the actual events told us "sumo sucks rear end and loses constantly to everyone."

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
very few mangakas can just do whatever the hell they want so its fresh in a way, you dont know what to expect and you're not exactly being catered to

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I really do hope he likes the biting gimmick for this arc i wanna see jack eat some dudes

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Bisse posted:

- never reappears again

Welcome to Baki. Just think of it as Pro Wrestling, sometimes people gotta job.

Itagaki also loves to pull out the "structured match" vs "street fighting" shtick on every new fighter and most of the main cast (well, everyone really save for Yujiro) but it just "doesn't work" for some of them because THEY'RE JUST SO loving GOOD AT FIGHT. Which yeah makes no sense since the main arena for combat is set up as this literal death hole where you're expected to try and kill your opponent.

It becomes extra funny whenever Itagaki remembers Motobe exists, who is the literal embodiment of that mentality, and has him roll up on a fighter with armor, weapons, traps on his person, traps in the immediate area, and then just straight up run the gently caress away after making them bleed and kicking them in the balls.

mabels big day posted:

I really do hope he likes the biting gimmick for this arc i wanna see jack eat some dudes

I really want to see where the gently caress he's going with that gimmick because like.....just don't try to punch his face. Just avoid the face. Though given the supposed jaw and neck strength he's been set up to have in order to make Bite-Fu a thing, he at least already has a counter to the Baki special attack of "punch the chin really really fast and knock them out for a second before they can react".

Crain fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 5, 2023

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
There'll be a crossover with ippo and Ippo will one shot him with a liver blow

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Itagaki narrating the Dempsey roll.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Crain posted:

I really want to see where the gently caress he's going with that gimmick because like.....just don't try to punch his face. Just avoid the face. Though given the supposed jaw and neck strength he's been set up to have in order to make Bite-Fu a thing, he at least already has a counter to the Baki special attack of "punch the chin really really fast and knock them out for a second before they can react".

That's how cowards think. The strong is the beautiful, the beautiful is the strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Mary Annette posted:

Bakiverse morality is... unique. Things happen or don't happen depending on whether or not a punchman has both the desire and the ability (that is, physical strength) to make that thing happen or to prevent it from happening. If so, a punchman's will has been done, and the result is, by necessity, strong, beautiful, correct, and holy. If not, he can only have been thwarted by a stronger, holier, etc. punchman.

Yeah this is just fascism by degrees though

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)