Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I'm in the middle of the boxing arc, and it is pretty unfocused.Doubly so because the prelude to the Baki vs Yujiro fight is happening at the same time.

And yeah, even though he gets to look cool and do stuff, Retsu does get disproportionately hosed over compared to the rest of the cast , maybe because he's the one non-japanese fighter? At least the isekai is cool...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
I would be way more into boxing irl if a one-legged 30-something Chinese guy who had never boxed before started dominating the sport.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
https://mangadex.org/chapter/70d66a21-1e52-4186-8125-d5c08db642a1

Baki Rahen Chapter 2 English

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Shinogi? Really?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's good that we get to see some other people than the usual handful of guys

I hope Shinogi does some grotesque cord cutting

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Zzulu posted:

It's good that we get to see some other people than the usual handful of guys

I hope Shinogi does some grotesque cord cutting

Cord cutting ain't gonna do poo poo against biting! Unless he goes for Jack's jaw muscles or something.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shinogi is cool

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah what's this poo poo about? Gotta send in the major players someone call up Motobe

Thoren
May 28, 2008
We've got at least 2 years of Jack biting his way through the entire Baki cast.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Good.

The minor Baki cast is cool

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Do you think Jesus Christ is proud of Jack?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

goblin week posted:

Do you think Jesus Christ is proud of Jack?

who else has consumed more of the body of christ than jack

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Jack is such a nice and respectful dude

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
If Motobe can suddenly become relevant, I wouldn't put it past Shinogi either

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
was it baki that set up the precedent that every character that fights with finger strength or sharp nails is destined to become the biggest jobber in the manga

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Baki did thwart an eye gouge by breaking the offending fingers with his eyeballs so I'm going to say yes

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

any cockroach could do that, not too impressive

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Wrist stumps are canonically stronger than fists in the bakiverse.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Made it through Son of Ogre and The Big Fight and it kind of does cement that the author really will just straight-up drop anything. Not-Usain Bolt greets Retsu after beating the champ and that's the end of his little boxing escapade because it's time for Son vs Dad. It is a legitimate great fight but it's kind of obvious he really doesn't want Yujirou to actually 100% take the big L. Two funny bits I forgot about are the archaeologists finding the predictions that ancient Egyptians made about the fight, and lots of foreigners praying for Yujirou because he was some kind of weird Robin Hood at some point. I guess they kind for foreshadowed he has a kind of respect for the strong sticking up for the week even if they suffer for it when he talked with Muhammed Ali, but it's still wild they have a bunch of African people appear mid-fight to start bowing down to him.

It's interesting blasting through it all in basically seven days seeing how the Yujirou from Grappler Baki ("gently caress you son, become my meal") becomes the Yujirou here ("thanks for the meal") with so few interactions between them or focus on the big guy. I wonder if it's an intentional softening (well, as soft as Yujirou could ever get) or if it happened unconsciously bit-by-bit over the course of nearly two decades of writing.

Musashi time. Old man Tokugawa will never die until he arranges a fight between God and Satan for the belt.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Pierson posted:

Made it through Son of Ogre and The Big Fight and it kind of does cement that the author really will just straight-up drop anything. Not-Usain Bolt greets Retsu after beating the champ and that's the end of his little boxing escapade because it's time for Son vs Dad. It is a legitimate great fight but it's kind of obvious he really doesn't want Yujirou to actually 100% take the big L. Two funny bits I forgot about are the archaeologists finding the predictions that ancient Egyptians made about the fight, and lots of foreigners praying for Yujirou because he was some kind of weird Robin Hood at some point. I guess they kind for foreshadowed he has a kind of respect for the strong sticking up for the week even if they suffer for it when he talked with Muhammed Ali, but it's still wild they have a bunch of African people appear mid-fight to start bowing down to him.

It's interesting blasting through it all in basically seven days seeing how the Yujirou from Grappler Baki ("gently caress you son, become my meal") becomes the Yujirou here ("thanks for the meal") with so few interactions between them or focus on the big guy. I wonder if it's an intentional softening (well, as soft as Yujirou could ever get) or if it happened unconsciously bit-by-bit over the course of nearly two decades of writing.

Musashi time. Old man Tokugawa will never die until he arranges a fight between God and Satan for the belt.

I thought it wasnt ancient egyptian prediction of it so much more that this is a cyclical pattern that continually happens as Hanmas proceed through the generations

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

New Retsu isekai
https://mangadex.org/chapter/6eef560a-2214-40f6-9ee0-635e0b13be04

dying really was the best thing to happen to poor ol retsu

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

So I watched Baki Hanma on Netflix and it was really fun but also dumb and bad but still fun and cool art, but more than that what the gently caress is up with the enormous loving sexism, how the gently caress did a series get made like this in 2023????
Like, I can deal with 'the series is only about muscular guys fighting', not 100% optimal but no big deal it's fine I can deal with it and enjoy it.

In Baki though I watched a woman get squeezed to death by a hug in front of her son, and the narrator explain that while she died in a lot of pain, she also experienced euphoria because hugging is love and thus her deepest desire as a woman was being satisfied.

Also multiple instances of, woman cant Punch This Hard because biology but also too emotions.

Caveman Gonna Rape because of course Caveman Gonna Rape, what did you think he would do the instant he saw bewbs, idiot.

Ha ha his girlfriend is Very Fat. This is funny because we thought she would be hot. Also 1000% abusive relationship but hey *insert monologue about True Love*

Oh and also rapemurdering your wife and punching your son to death is the deepest, most meaningful form of parenting. Thank god dad thought me how to Punch Hard. Worth it.

Like one single out of these would be debatable, but all of them together, well houston we have A Problem.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 2, 2023

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Baki is not OK and never has been

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
it is fun thoughh

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bisse posted:

So I watched Baki Hanma on Netflix and it was really fun but also dumb and bad but still fun and cool art, but more than that what the gently caress is up with the enormous loving sexism, how the gently caress did a series get made like this in 2023????
Like, I can deal with 'the series is only about muscular guys fighting', not 100% optimal but no big deal it's fine I can deal with it and enjoy it.

In Baki though I watched a woman get squeezed to death by a hug in front of her son, and the narrator explain that while she died in a lot of pain, she also experienced euphoria because hugging is love and thus her deepest desire as a woman was being satisfied.

Also multiple instances of, woman cant Punch This Hard because biology but also too emotions.

Caveman Gonna Rape because of course Caveman Gonna Rape, what did you think he would do the instant he saw bewbs, idiot.

Ha ha his girlfriend is Very Fat. This is funny because we thought she would be hot. Also 1000% abusive relationship but hey *insert monologue about True Love*

Oh and also rapemurdering your wife and punching your son to death is the deepest, most meaningful form of parenting. Thank god dad thought me how to Punch Hard. Worth it.

Like one single out of these would be debatable, but all of them together, well houston we have A Problem.

GTFO this thread

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Rigged Death Trap posted:

New Retsu isekai
https://mangadex.org/chapter/6eef560a-2214-40f6-9ee0-635e0b13be04

dying really was the best thing to happen to poor ol retsu

I said it last page but he legit got a Saiyan power up after dying, now he's above Kaku's level lmao

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 3, 2023

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'd forgotten how fun the Musashi arc was. Musashi himself is great to watch, he has a great personality and charm while still being a psychotic battle god and he has some great back-and-forth with the cast. Slapping Pickle in the face and Pickle going "ah yes a Velociraptor" is cool.

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
The best possible ending to the Retsu isekai is him getting reincarnated back in the main Bakiverse

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rabid Boar posted:

The best possible ending to the Retsu isekai is him getting reincarnated back in the main Bakiverse

Liquid Ocelot except for real

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Rabid Boar posted:

They literally cloned and resurrected Musashi, not a big stretch.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Pierson posted:

I'd forgotten how fun the Musashi arc was. Musashi himself is great to watch, he has a great personality and charm while still being a psychotic battle god and he has some great back-and-forth with the cast. Slapping Pickle in the face and Pickle going "ah yes a Velociraptor" is cool.

He's cool but his fight with Baki was weird and ended with a granny sucking his soul out. His fight with Yujiro ended with a teleporting Motobe interrupting the fight

Those were the two fights I wanted to see most and they just ended on a whimper

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Suleman posted:

They literally cloned and resurrected Musashi, not a big stretch.

Just have a portal open up, Retsu steps out, No big deal, He still jobs to Jack though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A powered up Retsu returns, defeats Yujiro.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Retsu learns teleportation from a wizard and casually teleports back into the Baki-verse

When questioned about his impossible return he goes on a tirade about 4000 years of chinese martial arts until everyone drops the subject

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

New Retsu Isekai

Heck yeah we in the 4001st year of chinese martial arts

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Retsu about to punch the poo poo out of a zombie horse

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

smh at calling it something other than Isekaioh

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I've been calling it Retsukai, but drat Isekaioh is real good.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Babe Magnet posted:

smh at calling it something other than Isekaioh

poo poo thats good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

chapter 3 of rahen

https://mangadex.org/chapter/203318fd-eec6-4406-95e3-b520c64a6429