Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Shukaro posted:

do their faces have abs or...

A Big Thing about being the baddest of the bad rear end martial artists is being able to grit your teeth with shattering force. So yes, face-abs can totally be a thing.

Baki pseudo-scientific babble is the best pseudo-scientific babble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

Jose posted:

I was going to say Retsu's bar fight was awesome but I can't really think of a bad fight in any Baki series really

If there were any then Sikorsky was part of them. Complete waste of what could have been an interesting gimmick on a handful of curbstomp fights.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

Jose posted:

can't wait to see a legless/armless retsu continue to win fights

Four peg leg Retsu careening through opponents like a goddamn pinwheel.

Kaku Kaioh coming up with yet another thousands-year old Chinese martial art master technique that gets destroyed by a Japanese übermensch in just about ten pages.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Reminder that Strongman is so strong that America signed a nonaggression pact with him, which every President has to renew.

And Strongman's Strongdad kung fu'd an American battleship to death during WW2.

I love this goddamn series.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

this manga needs more olympic arm wrestlers

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

Apropos of world leaders and whatnot, Kengan Ashua is starting its big-rear end tournament arc, and the choosing of the leader of the Japanese underground economy is drawing some major interest

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

!!? indeed

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

K. Flaps posted:

Shoutout to my unjustly imprisoned man Plutonis.

loving lol

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

That trailer has me hyped the gently caress up for Hanayama vs Speck, its not even funny

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Garouden is goddamn win but the ending sucks!!!

I read through it like two times before on the third run I realized that nope the scans didn't just stop in the middle of nowhere that was actually the entirety of it.

Such balls.

Good fights tho

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

K. Flaps posted:

I'm going to do Jack Hammer Style fighting moves on the Netflix ceo until he gives us, the People, Baki in the west.

does he have a particular phobia of people eating handfuls of pills and injecting a dozen needles at a time or something

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

Bets on whose spine he's gonna step on first?

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

Bringing out the thick guns from the get-go

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

Sumo guy gonna squat out of his diaper, establishing dominance

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

Glagha posted:

I always wonder why dudes even pick fights with Yujiro of their own accord. Guys that should know who he is. I guess it's just because the entire cast is made up of giant fightboys with more muscle than brains and they just want to punch each other to death. (but then live anyway through increasingly absurd amounts of punishment)

I think the last one to do so was Hanayama and that was when everyone was being afflicted with the dreaded curse of The Yawns so he required some extreme thrills to feel again.

Yujiro has always been the shittiest part of this series though so whenever the plot doesn't even tangentially involve him is when Baki is at its best.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

hot Baki fashion tip: diapers are slimming

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

Jose posted:

really? i thought it was some guy tokugawa resurrected lol. i shouldn't read it drunk i guess

unless his cloning was a thing that happened at the end of the Musashi arc, the current series hasn't really discussed the origins of thicc boy so far

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

Sindai posted:

I'd actually be really surprised if there's never been a throwaway "look at this strong sumo guy, now look at this new character totally destroy him" moment in any previous Baki series like there have been with countless MMA fighters and kickboxers.

That happened in Garouden, but I'm drawing a blank on sumo in Baki apart from the one who participated in the tournament in the first series

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

new chapter of thicc boy adventures

so I guess Hanayama getting chumped in a contest of grip strength is on the cards quite soon

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

Pierson posted:

Muhammed Ali Jr walking out the door was one of the all-time top moments of any Baki series. Does anyone remember the chapter number so I can read it again?

the whole of the Ali Jr./Yujiro-encounter happens in chapters 171 & 172 and agreed, it's a good one

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

K. Flaps posted:

What should they have done, call the cops? Traumatize some poor police Osaka Dave for life?

well, to be fair, the trauma would most likely have been very short-lived.

As would have been Osaka Dave himself.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

Big burly dudes hugging in the new chapter

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

the fight continueth, this is some of the best Baki we have had in a good while I think

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

Why he's only 200+ pounds! That's the size of a girl!

no wonder so few Baki characters have canonically hosed, Baki girls are loving terrifying

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

so, which Baki characters are gonna chump which sumo champs at their strengths

the latest "Professor" is gonna get hosed up by Gouki for sure, the speedy one loses to a re-armed Katsumi, what else?

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

Ulio posted:

Whats the order of the mangas? I took a break from reading Grappler Baki because it didn't have many chapters translated a while back. Randomly started watching the netflix series and man I love this series so much. All my favorite parts of shounen, over the top craziness going on.

Grappler Baki --> New Baki (what the Netflix anime is based on) --> Baki - Son Of Ogre --> currently Baki Dou (first the Miyamoto Musashi arc, we're currently on Thicc Boy Season)

AFAIK due to hilarious translator pettiness only New Baki and Son of Ogre are available completely translated, Grappler Baki and the Musashi arc of Dou get sporadic releases here and there and the sumo arc is being translated as it is released (slowly).

e;fb

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

frajaq posted:

What DID happen to Garouden by the way? I actually liked the story and some of the characters in it

It apparently is fully translated and just stops out of nowhere, with none of the promised huge fights of the series really manifesting. It's disappointing as gently caress.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

New chapter from our most current iteration and we are so close, so tantalizingly close to getting to the fightan, and yet....

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

https://mangadex.org/chapter/799414/1

we have even more fight with muscles and meaty men

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

I am so goddamn hyped to see everything related to Biscuit Oliva in this arc get animated

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Spinyback finally dropped the rest of the Musashi fight

I'd totally forgotten the sister character and when I originally saw the finishing splash of the fight I assumed it was Motobe in disguise

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

There's a new(?) group that's pumping out new chapters from the first series, as well as redoing the series from the start. They're promising to release a full volume per week, most recent just got up to the second round of the big tournament arc. Overjoyed if this finally lets us have a proper run of the first series.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

The newest chapter is another all-timer for slow-motion hits

So sumo gets an imaginary soup party level victory and the last two are gonna get chumped so hard

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

Glagha posted:

Thanks, I hate it

Edit: also wait yujiro is 6'2"? He's always drawn as a meat mountain and like, that's tall but only a little.

6'2" with poo poo posture as extrapolated in the picture, so 6'5" standing tall

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

Work Friend Keven posted:

Dave from Osaka Prefecture, age 35: "I myself am a raper... I know the challenge of raping. To put it simply... What I saw that day was not possible by the laws of human limits."

Itagaki about to make this post canon

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

mabels big day posted:

Cool chapters but uh

Am i dumb and have a bad memory, who is this guy

Shares a name with the other burly hairy sumo dude of olden times in the first few chapters of the series who got his spine kicked apart by the original Nomi-no-Sukune, so another successor or whatever because somehow we still aren't over the sumo angle quite just yet.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

I just re-read the original Grappler Baki and the way current series Doppo is slowly morphing into a literal meat cube is both amazing, hilarious and correct.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

just got through reading I believe every translated Baki d'oeuvre there was and this still loving cracks me up as of the latest Baki Dou chapters

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

At this point Itagaki should just go all the way to the final frontier and have literal aliens show up to challenge the cast in order to give us competitive fights with possibly cool gimmicks.

But I guess we'll get a third ancient sumo guy instead or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

He'll keep insisting that in fact the line of Kehaya still hasn't lost a single match in hundreds of years because of mumblemumblereasons and everyone will get a profound enlightened look on their face and agree that in fact this was a huge victory for ancient sumo today, here, at the arena