Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Thoren posted:

New Baki Dou up on spinybackmanga.

I have to say my favorite fight has to be Baki vs Oliva. The pacman-attack, then them just slugging it out, plus the whole prison arc before the actual fight.

Plus there was this great scene.

Invisible penis or natural camouflage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Nah it's very much possible.
He gets trolled all the fuckin time.

Nothing is better than seeing Yujiro get messed with. Like with Ali Jr.

"Take care Yujiro-chan"

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Isn't it a full on alliance and not just non-aggression pact? Cause I thought that is what kept other people or governments from other countries from going after him, cause even if they sniped him, bombed him, etc it would just mean the US would then have to act.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
I've only read bits and pieces of original Grappler Baki, but read everything from New Grappler and up. The only fight I've seen Motobe in was when he was going against the poison vacuum hand guy, who did beat both Baki and Goki if I remember. Motobe pretty thoroughly ruined him, and only stopped when Yujiro came and just snapped his sword with his bare hands.

Does Motobe get some massive humbling moment or something in Grappler Baki that would maybe spurn him to just completely revamping his game, assuming that E. Honda picture above wasn't it?

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
I believe someone mentioned it before: It would be nice to know what they are saying, but with the way the action and panels are drawn, you can get a pretty good sense of what is going on. That's something I really like about reading this series.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

I was randomly scrolling and read the OP and this seems insanely sick. Is the original manga still impossible to find?

I think a good amount is translated, but there are quite some gaps. I started with new grappler baki (The second series) since I couldn't find the first in full. They do a good job at calling back to a lot of stuff and recapping. Once Grappler Baki is translated in full I'd definitely would read it, but you can start at new grappler and be fine.

Eventually at somepoint you won't even need translated chapters. This series is great in that it gets to a point where the author lays out action in a way that's fairly easy to understand through drawings alone.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Regarding his fate I feel like he must continue the trickery. He's shown he's got too much planned to not expect getting sliced across the stomach like Retsu did.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
I have to say that was pretty bad rear end.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
That chapter kinda reminds me of this conversation. Its so amazingly ridiculous to have the confirmation of "Hey I'm watching out for you already" followed by the threat of rape as a replacement for saying "GOD JUST LEAVE ME ALONE ALREADY".

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

What chapter is this panel from? Cause I seriously need to know the context of someone opening with this statement.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Jedah posted:

I agree, and it was awesome when you guys introduced me to Kengan Ashura, since I got to binge read it all at once.

But if you'd never read Baki before, I'd probably suggest jumping straight into New Grappler Baki, since it's been completely translated, and the plot is pretty straight forward. Even if you don't know who anybody is, they set things up within the first few chapters. You can binge read it and it's damned good stuff.

I agree. I started with new grappler as well, and I was able to pick up on everything pretty quick in terms of story, setting, and characters.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Some voices sounded familiar on the prisoners. Is the Russian finger dude voiced by the same dude who voiced Jotaro? And Dorian voiced by Old Joseph?

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
At somepoint, someone does muse over the fact that Musashi comes from a time where 1. You could lose your life in a duel in an instant, and 2. Cutting someone down in the middle of the street was common place. If you are not at the top, you are most likely dead.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Did Retsu just straight up ice that dude?

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
I wonder if Musashi is aware of the atomic bombings and how it changed Japan and how warfare has changed on the global scale.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Choppin' mutha fuckas left n' right.

I still don't get why no one else is not shooting him, unless he's using the advantage of being that close to all of them that they can't fire without risking accidentally shooting each other.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
So what flavour\imagery does Mushashi think he is?

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
I don't even know what to say. It all leading up to this feels real weird.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
I'm just wondering where it goes from here without going into space to fight swole aliens.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
I like that calling card of a top of the world fighter is how well you can convince someone you're doing invisible bullshit.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Mary Annette posted:

"This tournament will decide once and for all the most powerful force on Earth: schizophrenia or the art of Mime!"

Cue flashback to Yujiro meeting Marcel Marceau.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
I kinda like this shift to exploring individual martial arts/fighting sports, as dramatized as it is. If feels different from the arc that just passed where a legendary samurai was brought back from the dead so people could fight him.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
I think in the lead up to the Baki v Yujiro final fight they established because the US made a treaty with him, he basically has political protection from assassination. So while you could get someone to snipe him, it would essentially cause World War 3 in the process.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Plutonis posted:

Gaia's Dark Tunnel ftw

Indeed.

Handy link for anyone who hasn't read it yet.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
They've always teased at Yujiro doing that, and now they've straight up just done it. I'd call this unrealistic, but I think the opportunity for that has long flown out the window for other more insane reasons.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Honestly Baki has already fought people more intimidating than the Predator.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
At first I thought they were going with the fact that his body itself is so loving huge that just him taking these deep stances and holding it is a strenuous enough form of training.

But nah, its shadow boxing again.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Fat_Cow posted:

So I watched the anime on netflix.

One thing that stuck with me was what happened to Dorian, at the end. Does he get his candy manga readers? I don't mind spoilers.

You will have to wait and see!

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
I love how every new fighter that looks at Baki's face thinks about how pretty he is.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
This part of a Gaia gaiden or something?

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Dias posted:

Any other manga, I'd assume it's a metaphor or whatever. However, this is Baki.

I always thought that Retsu could be brought back with the explanation being that he learned from the old Kai-oh the ultimate defensive form of Chinese martial arts, which is to fake death. In Retsu's case, the feint was to get loving owned by Musashi with an injury that would very obviously kill anyone else. That or they just saved him in time and didn't tell anyone so he could have peace and time to recover.

Actually, as I am typing this I have another theory on what was said could mean: They're going to graft Retsu's arm on Karate son's stump so his friend Retsu will always be with him fighting

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
I feel like there is a 50% chance it will go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
I probably play with fire to ask this but, how do you think they're eventually gonna work the presidential oath between Yujiro and Biden into things at some point considering this loving hell of a year and the recent events this month. I would imagine that's a one shot chapter as usual.