Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I am dead serious when I say Baki is the manga I look forward to reading most every week. I loving love it and wish it would go on forever.

The best part of Baki is that the mangaka's debut work was about hairstyling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I think my favorite part of Baki is when something really dumb/awesome happens and the narration switches to a random dude being interviewed about it after the fact.

Bob McBob (29), Salesman : Yes, that's right... That's when it happened. The man just did (impossible feat)... and then did (even more impossible feat)!!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

K. Flaps posted:

Sadly he doesn't have a huge role after New anymore. I don't even think he was in any major fights.

In Bakidou he fights Musashi and gets loving owned it was sad. Nothing big like his fights against Dorian or even Arai Jr. though.

I agree, though. Not-Mas Ooyama owns.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Reminder there is also a oneshot spinoff where Baki and his girlfriend have sex that's drawn and formatted pretty much exactly like a fight scene

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The only translated Spinoff around is the one where Hanayama fishes a giant shark and beats a 5-meter tall retard.

Is that also the one where he fights the immensely powerful midget

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Kuros posted:

We just need to have a spin off of Orochi punching people, smiling while punching people, getting injured in horrific ways only to be repaired again and then punching more people.

:psyduck:

Huh, is there a link for this hilarity?

I'm pretty sure it's never been translated, and I dunno if it's scanned or not (I read it in a magazine) but this is what you'd want to look for.

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=15840

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Archenteron posted:

And then going fishing. Everyone must have a fishing chapter in their spinoff.

I laughed my rear end off when Baki and his girlfriend were about to get intimate for the first time then Yujiro is just standing there behind them going "What's this romantic bullshit? You haven't put it in yet? You pansy. Your girl better make a strong grandkid or I'll kill her like I killed your mom. Well, I'll leave you kids to it. Toodles"

And the later reveal that Yuujirou is secretly super proud of Baki and just really, really sucks at expressing it. :allears:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I've read up to chapter 80 so far and Itagaki's really done a surprisingly good job at differentiating Musashi from Pickle despite the obviously parallel of "super strong mans from the past is thrust into our world." Musashi being able to actually verbally communicate helps, obviously.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Every time I get reminded that one of the biggest badasses in this is an unfrozen karate caveman named loving Pickle, I lose my poo poo laughing. I love Baki so goddamn much.

The entire series is happening solely because Strongman got too strong so he had kids loving everywhere, hopefully so that one or more Strongkids could provide a challenge

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

K. Flaps posted:

Spoil some cool poo poo coming up please.

After the Retsu fight Tokugawa asks Musashi how he felt about fighting Retsu, Musashi replies that it was like the Battle of Sekigahara. Tokugawa then asks him how Retsu would compare to Musashi's legendary rival, Sasaki Kojirou and Musashi goes "Who?"

Sorry that probably wasn't cool to anyone but history nerds like me.

Actual cool poo poo: Shibukawa completely loving owns Musashi the first time they meet because aikido was invented after Musashi's time

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Thoren posted:

Chapter 63 is up:
http://spinybackmanga.com/manga/baki-dou/63

Retsu, please, stop. How far does Itagaki have to mutilate you in this manga until you're satisfied?

In the 12th series of Grappler Baki Retsu will be a torso and head who attacks people with the incredible power of Chinese martial arts ab flexes that launch him into the air to deliver flying headbutts

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Jose posted:

On the one hand the text in baki is ultimately meaningless, on the other I can't handle not having the really stupid narration by random people be untranslated

The text in Baki is the exquisite spice that elevates the delicious meat from just good to great

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Pickle ripped half of his face off

Literally just a flesh wound, iirc he was totally fine (with a few scars on his cheeks) in that one scene where they showed him lifting when he caught Musashi on TV.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Hand massage his heart, and his brain

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Tough is okay but it's sort of like the thing I read when I've already read Baki and want more Baki. Everything it does, Baki does better.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah, Tough p1 was okay but the art was really rough and just like Baki it started off as a relatively grounded work until ramping up to the crazy poo poo you see regularly in later installments like "It's okay it's only a point blank shotgun blast, I'll be fine after I have some steaks" (Baki) or "A sniper shot me in the head but my body was so finely trained that it immediately spun my head to move with the kinetic force so the bullet curved around my skull instead of popping it like a ripe melon" (Tough)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

K. Flaps posted:

I can't believe Retsu is loving dead.

Luckily the unparalleled depth of 5000 years of Chinese kempo means there will be a martial art that is designed purely for legless stumps

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Who is that ninja guy who talks with Baki's dad in chapter 79 and what do they talk about that seems to make Baki's dad so pissed off?

Hahahah holy poo poo Baki's dad kicks Musashi in the balls

He's Motobe Izou, a master of Jujutsu. He pisses off Yuujirou by saying that Musashi is too strong for him, and that he (Motobe) will protect him from Musashi.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

K. Flaps posted:

Remember when Ali Jr. Got his rear end kicked several times in a row and then healed his broken bones and ruptured organs through punching a punching bag really hard, that was badass.

It was cool but it was even more badass when his dad trained through Parkinsons because he wanted to beat the poo poo out of his son so bad

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Well we have superpowered men, karate men, and rapist men in Baki, so......

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Work Friend Keven posted:

Dave from Osaka Prefecture, age 35: "I myself am a raper... I know the challenge of raping. To put it simply... What I saw that day was not possible by the laws of human limits."

I read this post in a word bubble in a manga panel

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

That's from an old old Gaia short, I wanna say back during Son of Ogre. And yes it's metal as gently caress.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Thoren posted:

You guys are making waiting for the translations very difficult.

You can read that spoiler, it's translated and has no impact on the current story.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Jedah posted:

Very true.

Fight results (big time spoilers):
We only get to see the "teaser" version of Yujiro vs. Musashi, since Motobe swoops in and decides to screw everything up. That whole scenario has to be one of the laziest examples of writing I can think of. Motobe literally appears from out of nowhere and intervenes at just the right time. You could make the argument that the author wrote himself into a corner, and needed a quick solution to fix everything. The Unstoppable Force (Musashi) and the Immovable Object (Yujiro) came face to face for a mega-brawl, but the author didn't know what direction to take with their fight, so he dissolved it.

The popularity of his manga already seems to be pretty hit-or-miss on the forums, so I'm very curious what the responses will be.

I thought it was loving hilarious and that includes the parts after that up to and including the current fight which is great.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

It's not that Motobe thinks he's as good as/better than Musashi. It's more that he claims to be the only one who understands Musashi's mindset when he goes into a fight, which is different from that of today's fighters since Musashi goes into a fight looking to kill the other guy, not just to win. Since everyone else doesn't understand that and thinks he's just another Really Good Fightmans, they're unknowingly risking their lives by challenging him. That's why he wants to "protect" them.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

It's still by Itagaki which means it's still great even if it's not Baki

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I'm not saying Motobe is right I'm saying that's what he thinks

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Dudes seriously

This is Baki

Power levels mean nothing except "Yuujirou will wreck your poo poo"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Jedah posted:

Sure. That was the general theme of the manga for many years, but then Son of Ogre happened, and Baki matured. After he fought his dad on equal terms, you can't really say that anymore. Now, more recently, Musashi has appeared and seems to be an equal to Yujiro. He put his hand to his neck in a gesture that said "I could kill you where you stand" and Yujiro backed down. That never would have happened in the past.

There are certain people that are on the Yuujirou level. Baki, Musashi, Pickle, Kaku Kaioh maybe. That's about it. Outside of that, he will still wreck your poo poo.

Chances are he'll still wreck your poo poo even if you are on his level. My point is that outside of Yuujirou and arc centerpieces like Musashi/Pickle, who wins a fight is mostly arbitrary and decided entirely by Itagaki based on what he wants for the story.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

K. Flaps posted:

This manga desperately needs another Ali Jr. the old crew can go ham on instead of jobbing all the time.

I mean, the old crew jobbed like hell to Ali Jr when he was first introduced

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Remember when Kiichi from Tough fought Dennis Rodman in a secluded forest temple? Good times.

Well, not really he turned out to be a huge jobber. But the moment when I realized that, no, I wasn't missing the joke and the author had really just dropped Dennis Rodman into the middle of the story because gently caress it, why not? Will always be a little magical to me.

I read all of Tough up to the point where they found Kiichi's dad's older brother (not Kiryuu) and I do not remember this

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Jedah posted:

Baki Dou Chapter 111 (Korean) is also out!

No idea what's been said, but it isn't surprising to see Gaia get crushed by Musashi. We expected that. Gaia probably wanted to "test" Musashi after Motobe (his teacher) decided to make him his target. It seems like Gaia is comparing Musashi's aura/presence with the presence of one of his military generals, which makes sense. It would be really cool to see Gaia use an arsenal of modern weapons on Musashi, though their fight will likely be over with long before that could ever happen. Musashi is just way too fast and perceptive.

I really liked how Musashi reasoned out that the springblade was a 'firearm in the shape of a knife' through sensing Gaia's intent, it was great.

K. Flaps posted:

I reread the first part of original Baki and the manga used to be a lot more fun. Baki was a goofy guy, but also humble and helped people like the boxing coach of his school and all the injuries were a lot more brutal (lots of broken bones sticking out of skin, popped out eyeballs etc.)

Baki now is fun af and I like it more than the original. Back then Itagaki didn't have that "so dead serious when describing ridiculous things that it goes through hilarious and loops back around to awesome" thing down as pat.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

My favorite Doppo moment (Doppoment) was when he was fighting Dorian and got hypnotized to fight an imaginary Dorian (who would be an easier opponent) while the real one tried to get the drop on him, but his fighting instincts were so loving keen that the imaginary Dorian in his mind acted exactly like the real one did so he just beat the poo poo out of the real Dorian while not actually being able to see him at all.

Doppo owns. Doppowns.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I wish we lived in the universe where Muhammad Ali Arai trained so hard he trained past Parkinson's :smith:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Rest in peace Arai, may your son not get his hands broken by a crazed Aikido master and then broken again by a crazed Karate master

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

ANONSPORE, GOON, 29

I couldn't believe my eyes. To think that such a thing was possible... For a moment I just stared, trying to make sense of it all. That was when I understood.

*lifts a glass of water with one shaking hand and takes a hasty sip*

It was that, you know. They hadn't realized it all this time... That everyone in Baki is only as weak or strong as the story in Itagaki's mind requires them to be!

[End flashforward]

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

He beat the poo poo out of Siekovski or whatever the Russian convict was called. He also beat the poo poo out of Ali Jr.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Considering the arc boss is a dude known for being really loving good at using weapons it makes sense that weapons being used skillfully (where skillfully means "devoted your entire life to" rather than "trained for a long time") is being sold as a good and cool thing. Now whether it's good that Motobe is the one being chosen to sell this (along with Musashi, of course) is a topic for discussion. Basically, does Motobe, a man who has dedicated his life to studying battle just like everyone else has dedicated theirs to punching mans, deserve to be respected as a force in this arc where the final boss is being presented as the master of battle. I think it definitely coulda been set up better, but as an idea it works.

Also Jedah you missed out on the best example of Baki World fighters' view on weapons: back in the Kaioh fight arc when they visit China Retsu and his old master are talking about Yuujirou, and Retsu describes him as something like "Imagine of all the great weapons and technology of the modern world were turned against the martial arts of China" and then his master takes a sip of tea and goes, "So, a crushing victory for us martial artists" and Retsu smiles and goes "Naturally." :allears:

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 15, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

K. Flaps posted:

Hell yeah I'd like to see the Doppo Gaiden. What a silly question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

You miss all the good lines and narration which are like 50% of the joy of reading any good Baki chapter