Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Thoren posted:

Yujiro will make the best grandpa ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

SpinyBack has been down for a few days, but the webmaster posted and said it should be back soon. As far as I know, they're the only team translating Baki-Dou.

In the mean time, if you'd like to read the RAWs, here's a link to a Chinese site with all the latest chapters: http://www.dm5.com/manhua-renyadao/

Scroll down until you see the thumbnail for each chapter. The latest one is Chapter 81,"刃牙道漫画 第81话"

When you click one of the chapters, a red text prompt will appear - just make sure you click the underlined text to view the chapter. It's a little confusing to navigate, but on the flip side, the RAW quality is excellent.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 17, 2015

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

K. Flaps posted:

Remember when Ali Jr. Got his rear end kicked several times in a row and then healed his broken bones and ruptured organs through punching a punching bag really hard, that was badass.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Pierson posted:

Remember when Usain Bolt quit running and became heavyweight champion of the world.
Haha, that's true, but we never got to see them fight. It was such a tease. Itagaki retired Retsu's boxing career not long after he defeated Smoke.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Merry Christmas from Yujiro and friends!

You can check out the rest of this parody manga here:
http://www.dm5.com/manhua-renyahaozai/

There's even 2 volumes of it! Now we just need an English translation.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 17, 2015

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki Dou Chapter 98 (RAW) is out!

Pickle is such a considerate guy. First, he saved all those civilians from a modern day dinosaur. Second, he decided to put on some pants.
Now that's character progression if I've ever seen it.

Itagaki's still got it. What a great chapter.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki Dou Chapter 99 is out!

A friendly reminder on how Baki physics work:

If a Caveman gets hungry enough, he can transform a crocodile monster into a delicious toothpaste.

Oh, and it looks like Musashi vs. Pickle is happening, too. That should be fun.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Well, I've been "reading" the manga for months without translations. It's sort of like simple picture stories, featuring muscle men with facial abs.

Thankfully, Itagaki makes things easier, since exaggerated body language and facial expressions make up the vast majority of his art style. Although, reading his eye-witness accounts of civilians who get wrapped up into the encounters is always good for a laugh.

If you're looking for easy navigation, this site has all the Baki Dou RAWs up to Chapter 101. You can try the other site I linked earlier, but it's a bit harder to navigate.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 25, 2016

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

SpinyBack recently released English translations of Baki Dou (Chapters 80 and 81)
I'm interested to read what you guys think about the upcoming fight.... Musashi vs. Yujiro!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Thoren posted:

Yujiro is a goddamn beast. I love how Musashi isn't phased by anything.
This fight is going to be such a cop-out though.

Very true.

Fight results (big time spoilers):
We only get to see the "teaser" version of Yujiro vs. Musashi, since Motobe swoops in and decides to screw everything up. That whole scenario has to be one of the laziest examples of writing I can think of. Motobe literally appears from out of nowhere and intervenes at just the right time. You could make the argument that the author wrote himself into a corner, and needed a quick solution to fix everything. The Unstoppable Force (Musashi) and the Immovable Object (Yujiro) came face to face for a mega-brawl, but the author didn't know what direction to take with their fight, so he dissolved it.

The popularity of his manga already seems to be pretty hit-or-miss on the forums, so I'm very curious what the responses will be.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 14, 2016

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

AnonSpore posted:

I thought it was loving hilarious and that includes the parts after that up to and including the current fight which is great.

Definitely, the author is silly as hell. His plot twists are always good for a laugh. He wrote himself into a corner and didn't know what to do.

I never would have expected Motobe to survive Musashi's "serious" slash and Yujiro's strike, only to turn around and challenge Jack Hanma shortly thereafter. Motobe received a massive power-up in the latest manga. After his fight with Jack I think, it's safe to say he is one of the top tier fighters. He may even go the distance with Musashi.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Wild Horses posted:

Controversial opinion i know but i dont actually like motobe

I don't think it's controversial at all, I don't like Motobe either. I thought Jack Hanma got jobbed, and many of the fans I've talked to felt the same way. It was completely unexpected.

It looks like the author wanted to create a modern ninja vs. samurai battle, so he made Motobe drastically stronger, but gave no explanation how this happened. We're just supposed to assume that after the events of Son of Ogre, Motobe emerged as one of the strongest fighters. Motobe used to be the clown that Yujiro would poo poo on, although once or twice he showed genuine skills with weapons, like when he defeated Yanagi. Anyway, he's way too smug for his own good. At least his fighting style is unique, I suppose

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Eustace posted:

What was the point of the whole Ali Jr ark?

It was to see a retired and aging Ali Senior, who trained incredibly hard, and eventually defeated his arrogant son in a sparring match.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Thoren posted:

I love how Musashi is the underdog in all this. What a great series of chapters these have been. I was worried this would be pickle 2.0. I was dead wrong.

I'm glad you're enjoying the series! However, I would argue that Musashi is not the underdog, he's just "pretending." The guy is an excellent actor, and uses his cunning to fools fighters into thinking he's much weaker than he actually is. Remember, this is the guy that murdered Retsu Kaioh, when he could have easily ended the fight with non-lethal means. Musashi "pretended" to struggle against his martial arts skills, but it was never an equal match. And more recently, in the latest few chapters, Musashi has started a huge fight with Pickle. Meanwhile, Pickle was just minding his own business, chillin' and eating alligators, as any respectable caveman does. But Musashi appears to be bullying him, so I think he's blood-thirsty for battle, just like Yujiro. Musashi even gives off a similar demonic aura (when he's fighting seriously).

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

True, entering the arena vs. Musashi was naive, especially when Retsu didn't know what his opponent was capable of. But regardless of the circumstances, Musashi still killed Retsu when he didn't need to. Musashi literally had Retsu hog-tied and defenseless, and continued to toy with his prey. I only mentioned this because Thoren called Musashi an underdog, but that kind of merciless attitude sounds much more like Yujiro, who has absolutely no issue with killing people. Musashi comes from an era where it was kill-or-be-killed, so it's only natural that he would have a cold-blooded side. Plus, a lot of the artwork depicts Musashi as demon-like, and Baki had a "vision" of Musashi as a nuclear explosion when he first met him.

Although I don't care for Motobe, he's more of an underdog type of character. He left Jack Hanma completely defeated, and planted a knife in the ground as proof that he could finish the job if he wanted to. Even if it was humiliating for Jack, Motobe still spared his life. I'm not saying Motobe is a nice guy by any means, but the author seems to be setting him up as an underdog for the current series.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 27, 2016

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Their fight begins at Chapter 93, and goes through Chapter 97. Scroll all the way down this page, if you'd like to check out all the RAW chapters. It's the very last set of links just before the facebook, twitter and google icons, above the comments section. Most recent chapter was 107.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Should anything beyond the SpinyBack translations be put into spoilers? They just released Chapter 86. It can be tough to determine when spoiler tags are necessary.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Chapter 87 of Baki Dou is out!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

If I remember correctly, Motobe was originally defeated during the maximum tournament by a sumo wrestler contestant. His role was to provide commentary on the side lines of the tournament, since he's considered to be a well-known jiu-jitsu master. To my knowledge, Gaia was never introduced as his pupil during the original series, but perhaps I'm wrong. It makes sense that there's a connection between those two, since they both use the environment to their advantage.

Anyway, as you guys were saying, Motobe absolutely destroyed Yanagi, who was considered to be quite powerful during New Grappler Baki. At one point, Yanagi straight-up defeated Baki, no contest.

I agree that Yanagi was a bitch, but as far as determining the "general strength" of Motobe, I always figured he was at about Retsu's level of strength, or similar to Doppo. But now Motobe is claiming to be Musashi's equal? I guess he author really wants that fight to happen.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 16, 2016

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Wild Horses posted:

the whole thing about "protecting" yujiro is absolutely retarded

I agree, especially when Yujiro is the type of guy who can just casually tank lightning bolts, or stop earthquakes with his fist. He is essentially a demi-god, or someone with DBZ/One Punch Man levels of power. So I don't understand Motobe's motivation to protect him. If anything, Motobe should hate Yujiro, since he's been trolling him for years. Yujiro once snapped Motobe's katana with his thumb, just because he could.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 17, 2016

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

I don't have an issue with Motobe (or anybody else) suddenly becoming much stronger, as long as there's some kind of exposition, backstory, or training montage. Baki, for example, usually goes into his basement and trains until he practically murders himself. Plus, he's got the Hanma bloodline, which means he has all kinds of superhuman traits. In that situation, I understand how Baki would become much stronger, I don't think anybody questions it.

However, with Motobe in the current series, we didn't get any of that. We're just supposed to accept that a side character is now on Musashi's level, or approaching it. It's very bizarre. Even Musashi acknowledges him as "strong."

I really believe the "old" Motobe would have been stomped by someone like Jack Hanma, who stands over 7 feet tall and weighs over 250 lbs. Somehow, the "new" Motobe made Jack look like an amateur, and even tanked his attacks like they were no big deal. Then Motobe tossed him around like a little boy, which has nothing to do with being a weapon user. That's a very drastic change.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 19, 2016

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

AnonSpore posted:

Power levels mean nothing except "Yuujirou will wreck your poo poo"
Sure. That was the general theme of the manga for many years, but then Son of Ogre happened, and Baki matured. After he fought his dad on equal terms, you can't really say that anymore. Now, more recently, Musashi has appeared and seems to be an equal to Yujiro. He put his hand to his neck in a gesture that said "I could kill you where you stand" and Yujiro backed down. That never would have happened in the past.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

SpinyBack released Baki-Dou Chapters 90 and 91!

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 24, 2016

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

I agree. Just like Jack Hanma, Gaia was jobbed. Motobe continues to troll us all in his underpants.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Thoren posted:

The best part was when Retsu beat up a bunch of boxers for absolutely no reason whatsoever.
Yes! Plus, we got to learn about how the human brain is just like tofu.

And remember when the author teased us with a Retsu vs. Usain Bolt mega-fight? I wonder if he'll ever make an appearance again.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Ringo Roadagain posted:

the 2nd baki op is a masterpiece
I always enjoyed the original opening theme from the Baki anime: I NEVER GIVE UP IN CHANGING ZA WARUDO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPD6a9dqdoM

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

K. Flaps posted:

Remember the Tough monkey man?
The gourmet monkey man:

Even a mindless killing machine puts his bib on properly, and has discerning taste when it comes to food and wine.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki Dou Chapter 92 and 93 are out!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki Dou Chapter 111 (Korean) is also out!

No idea what's been said, but it isn't surprising to see Gaia get crushed by Musashi. We expected that. Gaia probably wanted to "test" Musashi after Motobe (his teacher) decided to make him his target. It seems like Gaia is comparing Musashi's aura/presence with the presence of one of his military generals, which makes sense. It would be really cool to see Gaia use an arsenal of modern weapons on Musashi, though their fight will likely be over with long before that could ever happen. Musashi is just way too fast and perceptive.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Would you please add this picture to the original post? The image fits perfectly with the overall theme of the manga. Doppo's antics are timeless, and I'm sad to say he doesn't play a larger role in the current series. His eyeball rolling techniques should be one of the first things people see when they're introduced to the manga. I hope other people agree, this is just my humble opinion. Moments like this have brought out the best aspects of the manga. The anime also did a great job of exhibiting Doppo's techniques, which is strange to say, but definitely true. Doppo is both hilarious and amazing and deserves way more attention.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 3, 2016

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

The author's tribute to Muhammad Ali, the Greatest of All Time:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

K. Flaps posted:

Jack not being able to kick through a little pussy knife is loving bullshit.

I have a strong feeling you're really not going to enjoy the next few chapters! Never in a million years would the old Motobe utterly destroy Jack Hanma, but that's (unfortunately) what we're seeing today. On the bright side, it seems like Musashi will put an end to Motobe's smugness.

It's almost as if Itagaki is writing his current manga and asking (or perhaps, telling?) the reader to totally disregard what we know about his previous work.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 8, 2016

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

This muscle man can also take a punch.

Maybe the key to taking a punch is to relax and have a good time.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Jack is gonna learn from this and get the titanium teeth from Jaws

This would be so good. I hope he gets a titanium jaw, too. Yes, I understand that body armor is a logical counter to biting. But this is Baki, so I want it to work anyway. That's how the series is supposed to work, isn't it? Jack already lost most of his mouth when he was battling with Pickle. The poor bastard has been through a lot of dental work.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

He only got flayed by pickle. At this point all the insane surgery he went through and his fights should have made him impervious to pain.

Nah, Pickle busted up Jack's entire face. And really badly, too.

Maybe the author was playing Mortal Kombat when he was illustrating their fight. It looks like Pickle's X-ray move. But I agree, Jack should be nearly impervious to pain at this point, or at least much stronger than what we've seen vs. Motobe.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki Dou Chapter 96 is out!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

I'm glad you guys mentioned when Jack destroyed Ali Jr. That was one of his better fights, and I suppose you could say New Grappler Baki features Jack's glory days. Then again, Ali Jr. fought Jack bare-handed, using primarily boxing techniques. Motobe is armed to the teeth with weapons and body armor. It's a different kind of fight, I guess? Even with body armor, I don't understand how Motobe endured Jack's most recent onslaught. We can say for sure that Motobe can take a punch much better than Ali Jr.

Also, Baki Dou Chapter 113 (Korean) is out!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Very true, Oliva vs. Rahon was awesome. I loved his "pocket trick," and of course, Oliva's own version.

One of the best fights in the Chinese tournament.

It's interesting that Baki later used a similar full-body headbutt while fighting against Oliva, but that may just be a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Work Friend Keven posted:

The whole gimmick of the series is the fighters like eating guns and calling tanks child's toys and stuff, it's extremely weird and off brand for anyone to care about or be impacted by weapons, armor, etc. even earlier in this arc Mushashis ultimate sword power up was... Not using a sword.

I agree, the author has been extremely inconsistent when dealing with weapons, and what their role in the series is. Back when Baki went to prison, he demonstrated that he could take out a group of guards faster than they could shoot him with their assault rifles. Before that, he kidnapped President Bush right in front of the secret service, and they couldn't do anything about it. Their weapons were useless.

Other examples include:
Oliva can tank a shotgun blast, Yujiro can take on an entire military force with ease, and Hanayama can crush a pistol with his vice grip. One of the convicts, Speck, purposefully shot a pistol through his mouth to show that it did nothing. The same convict later killed a squad of fully trained police equipped with body armor and weapons.

I always thought the conclusion of Son of Ogre was supposed to show that the world that monsters (like Baki and Yujiro) existed, since there was so much hype about seeing the "strongest living beings" fight. They were supposed to surpass the need for weapons entirely, or at least that's always been Yujiro's whole gimmick. They even directly indicted this point, when an archaeologist discovered the Hanma "Demon" motif on the wall of a pyramid. It was an ancient image of one man (a Yujiro-like figure), surrounded by hundreds of weapons. He was positioned in a way that suggested he was the top of the food chain, and the dominant force of the time period.

But all of this stuff was apparently abandoned in Baki Dou. Motobe "defeated" Baki by simply drawing a knife on him in one of the early chapters. It makes no sense, and it also means people like Jack Hanma get thrown under the bus, since weapons are fashionable once again.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 15, 2016