Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

I don't know what's more ridiculous, that Baby Yuujiro's first instinct is to murder the doctor who delivered him, or that deep down, the author is 100% certain that Baby Yuujiro would be both perfectly capable of and somehow morally justified in murdering the doctor who delivered him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Jedah posted:

If Baki could recreate Musashi's "image" and train against it, there's a chance he could defeat Musashi in the future.

Baki can get legit stronger by having imaginary fights, but only if his immersion is so total that he runs the risk of traumatic mental damage if his imaginary friend kicks the poo poo out of him. To untrained onlookers, it may appear that he is merely staring intensely at a bug, but make no mistake, it is a true battle of warriors and the bug knows this too.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Jedah posted:

I'm sure there are other reasons, but these are a few that I've noticed over the years.

11. Yujiro. Not so much that readers don't like him, but that the author loving adores him, to the point that some downright horrific acts (like murdering Baki's mom) are presented in an uncomfortably sympathetic light (he murdered her with love).

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

JDRockefeller posted:

I wonder if Musashi is aware of the atomic bombings and how it changed Japan and how warfare has changed on the global scale.

OTOH, teenage Yuujiro singlehandedly ended Vietnam for shits and giggles.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

JDRockefeller posted:

I like that calling card of a top of the world fighter is how well you can convince someone you're doing invisible bullshit.

"This tournament will decide once and for all the most powerful force on Earth: schizophrenia or the art of Mime!"

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

Yujiro is kind of like a Dragonball character transplanted into another anime into a slightly more grounded world.

Everyone else has to compare different fighting styles, training regimens, philosophies, and physical attributes, while he's the Dragonball character with highest power level; so he's faster than the fast guys, stronger than the strong guys, tougher than the tough guys, more skilled than the technical guys, and learns more than the guys who trained their whole life.

He's like Mercenary Tao sans finger beams.

If only it stopped there. Yuujiro also has impeccable table manners, an encyclopedic knowledge of wine and spirits, a deeper understanding of the struggles of oppressed peoples than Muhammad-loving-Ali, and can punch hard enough to cure cancer and AIDS.

I mean poo poo Mr. Itagaki what did your dad do to you man?

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Crain posted:

I like that Baki doesn’t have a normal kid following him around to play the Everyman like almost every fight manga (and manga/anime in general) ever.

Non-fighters, with the single exception of Tokugawa, might as well not exist in the Bakiverse. They cannot affect punchmans in any significant way, nor do they have any rights punchmans are bound to respect.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Jose posted:

So this guy has just been hanging around winning sumo fights in the baki world and nobody has thought about fighting him until now

Seeing as how no one recognized him at the climbing challenge, I'd wager he's not involved in organized sumo at all. That would imply that there's a heya out there that deliberately chose to train a generational prodigy future GOAT-level yokozuna but never let him compete, or that Tokugawa's been loving around with the cloning machine again.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Unless I'm badly misunderstanding this omnidirectional gravity thing, imagination giant is effectively weightless.

*toss*

I am imagination sumo champion now.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Zzulu posted:

loving is like punching, but with your dick

And you will never be as good as your dad at either.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

team overhead smash posted:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/626530/16

The last time he tried to punch a toughdude in the street.

I know I ask what the gently caress is it with Itagaki a lot but seriously, what the gently caress is it with Itagaki and the idea of mighty warrior infants?

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Would legit love to see a Baki fighter who's on the spectrum and completely no-sells battle auras, visualization, 'killing intent' and all the other woo everyone else takes for granted.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Oh poo poo Yujiro is going to do what his own father couldn't: win WW2.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Plutonis posted:

How the gently caress is the Yokozuna standing up with the others after getting his entire ribcage destroyed

Because despite giving lip service to bones, blood and organs when convenient, Bakiverse punchmans are made of high-density putty that allows their limbs to perform at 100% effectiveness regardless of being crushed, on fire, or hanging by a flap of skin.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

No Wave posted:

It being metaphorical is in line with how Yuujiro has been portrayed for the last decade, that this terrible man's existence ends up being ultimately harmless and to some people inspiring.

Ofc the first decade of the comic Yuujiro was just plain evil so you can never really put this kind of thing past him.

Metaphorical or not, the doctors' chat in the opening pages can be summed up as, 'Yuujiro's male hormone levels are so far off the charts literally everyone else on earth is a woman by comparison'.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Looks like someone just learned about Orange Cassidy.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Mr. Itagaki I got four little words that can change your life if you let them:

dad gay, so what

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

nrook posted:

The problem with this analysis is that I don’t think Itagaki thinks rape anything about Yuujiro is bad

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Tokugawa bite your own drat dog

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Glagha posted:

Ha, you fool. You think my balls are a weakness? I've installed teeth there too.

Reminder: A highly-trained fighter in peak physical condition once shattered his fingers against Baki's mighty eyeballs.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

UnderFreddy posted:

sumo beats stupid MMA but can't hold a candle to *real fighers* was the dumbest and most pointless arc in a series full of dumb arcs

said *real fighters* mentally fellating the power and majesty of sumo as they convincingly defeat its champions might be the dumbest part of that dumb arc

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm not sure this biting thing is really as big an innovation as Jack is making it out to be.

The man has apparently learned how to bite people with his rear end in a top hat, stop hatin.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Sumo... is just so goddam strong you can't even believe it.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

The beautiful thing about Baki is you don’t really need to read any of it to understand

and vice versa

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

"Every horrible thing my your father ever did to me you was in my your best interests, and even if it wasn't, it's not my your place to do, say, or think anything about it until I you can beat him up. And this will never happen, ever. The End. No Moral."

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

The Bee posted:

The idea of anything physically overpowering Yujiro Hanma feels baffling with where the series has gone nowadays.

Just physically? P sure current Yuujiro could conclusively refute Goedel's Incompleteness Theorems by glaring at them hard enough.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Eustace posted:

You gotta respect that Itagaki is going to continue phoning in this series to collect a paycheck all the way into his golden years

Paycheck or no paycheck, Itagaki will be drawing Grappler Baki: Beautiful, Invincible Punchmans Are Your Rightful Lords and Masters, Bow Down Before Them until the day he dies.

Same respect, different reason.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Collapsing Farts posted:

I like how Yujiro murdered Bakis mom but Baki still looks up to Yujiro. Yujiro also raped Jacks mom but Jack still idolizes him lol

Bakiverse morality is... unique. Things happen or don't happen depending on whether or not a punchman has both the desire and the ability (that is, physical strength) to make that thing happen or to prevent it from happening. If so, a punchman's will has been done, and the result is, by necessity, strong, beautiful, correct, and holy. If not, he can only have been thwarted by a stronger, holier, etc. punchman.

Baki and Jack understand this and accept that whether or not the things Yuujiro did to their moms were 'right' or 'wrong' was decided when he did them and was not stopped. Punchman does thing, thing is right and good. I think Itagaki honestly believes this on some level.

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 2, 2023

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Lol at thinking permanent injuries, much less mortal wounds, are a thing in the Bakiverse. Just off the top of my head, we've seen the loss of eyes, loss of hands, severed major nerves, completely crushed ribcages, point-blank shotgun blasts, and a handful of bullets going off inside someone's loving mouth shrugged off with sheer willpower and/or sufficient flexing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Cobra Commander posted:

We will get a graphic and detailed philosophical diatribe about how birthing a child is like fighting and that a baby comes out of the womb fighting this meaning fighting is the first instinct in humans. Also women are then technically the best fighters or some poo poo. The next arc will be a woman with strong pelvic floor muscles.

Women are strong like sumo is strong... in a way that cannot affect punchmans to any significant degree. But strong nonetheless. The kind of strong that makes informed observers say 'hoo-boy, that is some strength right there', as they watch a woman being decisively, overwhelmingly defeated.