Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The original few arcs of Baki got really dark. The scene where Yujiro breaks Hanayama's arms and legs after his first fight with Baki is still one of the grosser sequences I've seen in a manga (and there is plenty of competition). Then the part where Yujiro kills Baki's mom and Baki starts carrying her dead body through the streets. poo poo was really dark and deranged.

There's a lot of untranslated stuff so I don't know what happens between that and the convict arc but certainly convict arc onwards is the silly Baki we're used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

early murdering sadist psycho yujiro is such a different character from later yujiro, who's basically a benevolent god at this point. Would be weird to see him drawn in the new style.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 14, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Idk if you remember but in the early arcs he was completely nuts. He tracked down the monkey baki felt he had an emotional understanding with and threw its head at his feet, then he popped up at the end of the hanayama fight and snapped his arms and legs in half to spite baki. He goes to stomp some dojo and pokes some random dude's eyes out and crushes them in his palm for fun. And he kills baki's mom ofc.

Idk if he's done anything more destructive in the past 300 chapters than make people pee their pants. He just sees strong fighters like pickle, sizes them up, then goes on his way. He's pretty relaxed, he even puts up with irritating fans during the son of ogre fight - he's the most powerful man on the planet and just kind of hangs back and lets other fighters do their thing. I dont mind the kinder gentler yuujiro he's just different.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 14, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

maybe all the sumos will win

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Hanayama is the same age as Baki yeah. sure doesnt look it tho.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 24, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

that scene is so hosed up. Especially switching to mom baki's tongue right afterwards. I dont think baki ever gets more twisted than that, although the end of GB is probably its equal.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Did the cord cutter survive Doyle's bomb?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It being metaphorical is in line with how Yuujiro has been portrayed for the last decade, that this terrible man's existence ends up being ultimately harmless and to some people inspiring.

Ofc the first decade of the comic Yuujiro was just plain evil so you can never really put this kind of thing past him.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 13, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

This is a gross chapter, but the grossest chapter is definitely chapter 124 of Grappler Baki.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Thoren posted:

This arc went from stupid to good and it only took like two years.

The newer western baki fans who are mostly teenagers and early 20-somethings all love jack.

It's going to be great seeing them have a collective meltdown when Sukune inevitably breaks Jack's teeth or whatever.
Jack always loses... He's had like one real win vs the biggest heel in baki history.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sukune's just one of the boys now. Been a long time since anyone was added (pickle was introduced 14 years ago!!!)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

man, that was truly gross. Itagaki's still got it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like it's kind of a dick move to rip off the ears of some guy who you're already easily beating. What was even the point of it when he immediately followed it up by (I think) jabbing his sides, which is what actually ended the match.
Half the time in Baki it's honorable to not maim you're opponent. The other half of the time it's dishonorable to not maim your opponent. I think Itagaki flips a coin each fight.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

No, chekovs harpoon and doppo throwing a simple straight punch mean he might be winning this, or at least giving doppo a bit of a challenge.

Kind of late for this itagaki i already think hes comic relief
That wasnt a simple straight punch...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I guess a riikishi losing their pinky really is a big deal.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm up for hearing about Hanayama's back again.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

As someone who's read lots of manga, this chapter sure feels like the end of the arc to me!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Its not fair. Jack was supposed to have thrown away his tomorrow for the sake of today. How is it still today 20 years later???

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's just classic baki. Jack has been a biter for twenty years and came in second in the maximum tournament from biting. And Motobe is talking like everyone is unaware.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oh yeah. Pickle bit like his entire face off. vs Pickle was the major time it felt like Jack jobbed it was so one sided.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Twenty years of hanayama doing that same freaking punch.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Well, if nothing else it's at least novel!
I feel like it was more novel 20 years ago when he bit shibukawa's achilles tendon off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Has Baki had a loss since Yujiro killed his mom? I guess Pickle beat him but Pickle cheated by using a technique?