Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I inherited my grandpa’s clubs last summer and have only gone to the driving range, but today I said gently caress it and grabbed a 9 iron, wedge, and putter and went down the road to the municipal 9 hole course and played my first game of golf for $7. It seemed like everyone else there also had no clue what they were doing so there was zero pressure for game pace or not looking like an idiot so it was fun. I’ll definitely be looking into lessons too.

And also irons, I’m pretty sure this is a sign of an old man bag, he has four different woods and only a 7 and 9 iron lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Does anyone else absolutely loathe swinging on the turf mats at the driving range or is it just me

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Willzilla posted:

I have learned the zen of the bounce while chipping in the backyard. Today I am enlightened

I spent the better part of an hour practicing chipping at the range last weekend, both off the mat to the first green (maybe 50 yards) and right off the edge of chipping greens both with pretty good consistency, in addition to going out in the backyard whenever I have a few minutes while WFH.

I fully expect to blade many chips 10 yards past the green my next time out.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hi thread, I started golfing early last summer and played a ton of games on the Par 3 muni course down the street and a handful of regular courses towards the end of summer and fall, and enjoyed it a ton. Our county’s recreation catalogue came in the mail yesterday so long story short I’m joining two casual recreational golf leagues this spring and summer and I’m super hyped

T-Square
May 14, 2009

RCarr posted:

I went to a bar that had 8 simulator bays and I feel like it was just ridiculously inaccurate. I always hit my 3 wood 220-250 and it was registering as 160-180 every hit. I’d hit a flush 9 iron and it would go 70 yards. I’d hit a half swing 60* solid and then suddenly it would shoot 75 yards over the green. Very frustrating especially considering the bill.

I did a golf simulator at some place with two friends and paid $70 after splitting the bill three ways with them for four hours of time. Won’t be doing that again, I can play 18 holes of real golf for that! Even less!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Dr. Capco posted:

I use a combination of the villains golf markers and a giant pink flamingo rhinestone marker. :coolfish:

Also have a sweet Vegeta villains marker, I don’t think that guy is making new ones anymore though :(

T-Square
May 14, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

Guys, I need a vibe check on my new ball marker:

I lost my cool Vegeta Villains marker I posted about recently at my final summer league round :(

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I had planned a final season round on Saturday with three other dudes and somehow managed to get a Yes from everyone which is impossible. Booked a tee time a week out, called mid-week to confirm and got confirmation that my tee time was booked, and then we all showed up to the course where the gate was closed, chained, and locked and a recorded message on the phone stating that the course was closed for the season starting today. Thanks dude!

Called another course 30 minutes away and they were open and the dude was super nice and no one was there so we had a nice cold afternoon golfing in light snow flurries there instead.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

mattfl posted:

:stonklol:

As much as Florida sucks, I was golfing in my normal summer attire and sweating out a round at noon yesterday lol

I had thermal leggings and jeans, a thermal undershirt, t-shirt, hoodie, and light winter jacket on. Plus a hat and mittens in the cart with hand warmers stashed in them to wear between shots lol

T-Square
May 14, 2009

RCarr posted:

It’s 50+ degrees in New York today and you’d better believe I’m golfing in the middle of January

I went last weekend to a course that’s open year round with a pay box in WI, it was supposed to be mid 30s but it never got higher than 24 :v:

I’m prolly gonna go again this weekend

T-Square
May 14, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

First round of the season booked for Saturday. I'm loving pumped.

I booked my first lesson for the season next month and am equally excited, will definitely get a couple rounds in before then though hopefully.

What’s everyone’s favorite golf app, free or paid? I don’t mind paying for something because I intend on taking it a little more seriously this year and would like some tracking capabilities and such. I had The Grint but I accidentally skipped the tutorial thing and can’t find it again, so I don’t really know how a lot of that one works currently. I also have 18Birdies but the shot tracker is weird and dumb and I can’t figure out how it works, and is also missing more than one club I use, so I’m not sure I want to pay for the premium version.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

It broke 80 degrees unseasonably early so I took advantage and got out for 9 holes yesterday

Four old guys in the group in front of us, 1, 2, 3 teed off, and then number 4 decided that only after all three of his partners teed off, would he get his club, ball, and tee out of his bag, get his glove on, and THEN do all of his warm up stretching on the tee box :argh:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

WITB: a bunch of old man clubs that my grandpa made himself, including super whippy woods that I have used for my first year and change of playing. I am planning on getting fitted this year and actually getting a full set of Irons and wedges and eventually a wood and hybrid not meant for an 85 year old :v:

We’re going camping next weekend up in Door County WI, and there’s a smattering of nice golf courses up there. I want to bring my clubs but I might be just shy of them actually opening up because I think there’s still some snow up there :(

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I’m fairly new (2 ish years of playing, still poo poo) but I like keeping score and not playing mulligans because I like to see how I’m improving. However if I lose a ball, I’m just playing a drop. I played at the tiny par 3 down the road on Sunday and started off great, and then when I came back around to play a second 9 I started hitting like poo poo and got really frustrated with it and wasn’t having fun anymore so I quit and went to gently caress around on the practice green for an hour instead and left feeling good instead of bitter about it.

Probably wouldn’t do that if I was playing 18 on a full sized course and was getting frustrated around 13 or 14, but I was forcing myself to finish my round and realized I was gonna go home in a bad mood, so I said gently caress it and practiced putting and chipping for a while instead which ended up being fun!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yeah, if I’m rocketing one off the tee out into the woods, I just go up in that area and take a cursory glance for it and take a drop, because chances are I’m gonna rocket a second one off the tee out into the woods too lol

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Welp, probably back to the drawing board for a new instructor. I think I have what I need to focus on for this season, and overall I’m happy with what I got out of my first lesson with this one. But yesterday was my second, and when I scheduled it at the end of my first lesson, I specifically asked if we could work on chipping and putting on the practice greens and she said yes.

I reiterated at the start yesterday that I wanted to work on chipping and putting and she had me shoot some wedge shots off the mat at ~50 yards and ~20 feet for ten minutes, and then she briefly explained “when you’re putting, imagine where water would flow and keep your hands light on the putter” and that was my putting lesson and she moved on to irons and driver again for the remainder of the session lol.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I am here to say that nothing is quite as good as barefoot golfing on tiny dive bar Par 3 courses where no one cares about anything

Golfing with a bunch of stitches in one of your fingers, not so much. Although it did force me to slow my swing down and golf better :v:

Farking Bastage posted:

That double on 9 just broke my heart. I hit a missile perfect down the middle near the top of the 30 foot hill and three of us couldn't find it :( I nearly shot 30's first time ever here. I'm about to be on the road some again Florida goons. Maybe we can get up!

Ugh as someone who is Not Great on the driver yet, there’s nothing worse than hitting an arrow straight line drive and then just totally losing the ball in the sun and never finding it again

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Omne posted:

So...I'm not getting better, and I think once my package of lessons with this coach is done, I'm going to need to switch to someone else. I still can't hit my irons with any sort of consistency, and my driver only works because I do a weird little half-swing that keeps it in the fairway at 185-225 yards. My second shot just absolutely kills me; if it's 130-200 yards, I'm likely to duff my shot, and if it's within 130, I will no matter what end up 20-30 yards short. 130 to the green? I'll hit it 100. 60 yards? I'll end up hitting one 30. Every single drat time. I'm basically stuck shooting around 105-110 every time I go out.

I'm frustrated and venting, I know. Put three in the loving water on the same hole today, what the gently caress!

I’ve posted about this before as well, I had lessons from one guy and at $90 for an hour I felt like I didn’t come away with anything from him, so I went to someone else. Her method of grabbing my club while it was in my hands and walking it through the swing path was weird and did not work with me at all, but her just watching and verbally correcting my swing and confirming that I was closer this time and that time etc actually gave me enough to take down some notes immediately after and work with. But again, that only goes so far, and she wouldn’t take me to the chipping/putting greens for some reason so I probably won’t go back to her now either. Was kind of disappointing because I felt like I got a lot out of my first lesson with her, and drastically less the second lesson, but maybe I should try a couple more, I don’t know. I’m just gonna golf a lot this summer after these drat stitches in my finger come out and heal up.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Omne posted:

I have three lessons left in this package, and we're using two of them for an on-course playing lesson. I don't think I'll do this again next year with him.

This is definitely something I’d take advantage of, I might try to find someone that does this by me. At the end of the day, someone telling you how to hit a ball off a turf mat isn’t gonna solve all your problems on the course, and I would love for an instructor to follow me for a few holes.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

gvibes posted:

I've been playing a super short par 3 course (like 1100-1200 yards) with my little kids. 15/18 greens the last two rounds! My scorecard said even yesterday but I think I missed a 3 putt somewhere.

All of my golfing pals are pretty new (Tbf I kinda am too) and a lot more casual than I am, so we’ve just been doing Saturday afternoons at this old townie bar out off the county highway that happens to have a rinky dink Par 3 9-hole course. Most of the holes are like 90 yards and the longest is barely over 150, and I’ve honestly been having a lot of fun walking in my bare feet and not giving a poo poo, and subsequently playing better golf, which turns around again and makes it more fun

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yeah some of their balls are cool looking and I wanna buy them for funsies, but I know I’d lose them the second they were an inch off of any fairway with some of those colors

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Casual summer league starts tonight, just gotta get through a full day of sitting in the office bored as gently caress and extremely antsy :sludgepal:

Kirios posted:

God loving dammit Cobra.

So I've had a couple of my Forged Tec irons break off perfectly at the hozel on good shots. Apparently they're claiming the shafts of the entire set is defective and they're gonna have to be reshafted. I'll be without clubs for a few weeks.

I just broke 80 for the first time this year too (yeah yeah hasn't been the best year for me). gently caress.

Does this mean we’ll see you on Monday nights again for GT7 :v:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Golf sucks and I hate it.

So I’m gonna spend more money on it! Anybody have any push cart recommendations? I’m looking at these CaddyTek carts, I’m not gonna drop $300 on a cart, but I want an umbrella holder for shade, and a phone slot, these look like they fit the bill.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Sweet! Gonna go for that one then, thanks!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

My CaddyTek cart showed up today and hot dang I’m super happy with this bad boy :toot:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Week 2 of league and once again I, playing for 2.5 years with several golf lessons paid for, have lost to my friend with a god awful swing who just picked up some random clubs and started playing a few months ago. Sure, he’ll totally whiff the ball on the tee, but when he connects with it he’ll drive it straight down the middle of the fairway 250 yards while I’m once again suddenly incapable of hitting anything longer than my 7i.

Strongly re-considering an iron fitting and just buying a lovely used set for the lovely golfer that I am!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

torgeaux posted:

I hit past the group in front of us yesterday. Par 5, they were in the fairway, hit their second and drove out of sight. Another player tees off, he couldn't reach them where they were, but waited, wisely. Then, I got up, hit about 20 yards past where they had been, and they come out of the tree line! Apparently had hit into the trees ahead went up to one ball and hit and came back to look.

The group in front of us on Saturday kept doing this? At least like three or four holes, once they’d hit their second shot and start scooting down the fairway one of us would tee up and then all of the sudden one of their carts would turn around and come back up the fairway. Like, if you’ve moved past your errant tee shot and dropped and hit a second ball, don’t fuckin come back looking for your first one you goobers!

RCarr posted:

I’ve never been back to that course.

This is some Happy Gilmore poo poo and it’s hilarious

T-Square
May 14, 2009

We played a 3 hour round of 18 at a Par 3 course today, when I got there two old retirees were practicing on the putting green, and were still there when we left

Also there was like an 8 year old there playing all by himself and the pro shop guy said he comes like 5 days a week by himself and always stops into the clubhouse with his score card to ask him if he beat the course record. I saw him tee off on the only 4-par hole and he could nail a driver for a little kid, that’s for sure

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Kirios posted:

So did he beat the course record?

From what the pro shop guy said, he doesn’t want to know what the record is, he just wants him to look at his score and say yes or no

But I did see him sink a long birdie putt on 18 while we were waiting on 11 and he took off his hat and was running around fist pumping and super amped up, so maybe!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Kirios posted:

I swear this thread does a great job humbling someone. I was getting ready to be all excited to post that I've shot my best score this season, a 77, only for the literal person above me to post a 68.

I will never, ever be that good.
As someone in the 100+ club, I have recently stopped keeping score altogether, gently caress it :v:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Omne posted:

loving 101 (51/50) today. This loving game. My driver, my most reliable club, has abandoned me in the wilderness. Playing a par 5 with water front and left. First tee shot skips over the water but doesn't quite make it to the bank. Tee up for a third shot, loving hit it off the heel right into the water. Carded a 10. Gotta get that club figured out.

Also, does this happen to anyone else: You're in a kind of awkward position and you decide to take the safe shot and lay up....and then completely gently caress up that safe shot (top it, shank it, slice it into the woods, etc.)?

loving golf indeed. This past weekend I had nothing to do, so I decided to take a step back and play the $7 9-hole Par3 course down the street on Saturday morning. As everyone has experienced, I made a change in my swing that felt like a lightbulb going off and bewilderment that none of my lesson instructors have noticed it. My round was three pars and the rest +1 which is great for me and I felt awesome going home.

Then I came back on Sunday morning and lost like five balls and shot mostly double bogeys with a couple bogies sprinkled in and now I hate golf again lmao

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Weekly casual recreational league tonight and once again there are people hogging the entirety of the practice greens. Practice your chipping and putting to the closest cup next to you, not the ones on the other side of the chipping green so nobody can use the one you’re chipping over :argh:

E: oh very cool, now he’s chipping 20 feet from the fringe of the smaller practice green to the green that opened up and I’m putting on. There’s a small irons range right behind you!

T-Square fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 26, 2023

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Lol good I’m not the only one.

Like, there’s two practice greens about 20 feet apart, a smaller one with two cups and a larger one with three cups. Three guys were all using the larger one, and this dude was hogging the smaller one chipping over the cup closest to him to the far cup, so I just cracked my beer and hung out until a spot freed up. The three guys must have had the same tee time and all cleared off the green so I start chipping four balls to the cup closest to me and all the sudden balls start launching over from the smaller green. gently caress off man.

Also yeah, absolutely hate when dudes putt back and forth from one cup to the other. Use one cup! There are other people!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I showed up to one of our league nights a few weeks ago and my (randomly assigned) league mates had invited one of their friends making it 5, which yeah can’t do that, but also it’s a 6:00 weeknight muni tee time so who cares. Evidently the 75 year old white ladies behind us did though, because they immediately started complaining at us before we teed off, which I ignored because I had nothing to do with it. Anyway, it was a non issue because we play fast and we lost them by the third tee box.

Then three weeks later that same group of 4 ladies who were complaining about a 5th person slowing things down were a couple of groups ahead of us on a Par 3 course holding up the entire loving course lol

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

Lol who invites a buddy to play in a league night unless it’s to sub for somebody?

Yeah it was super weird and random. I was annoyed with it at the time, but it’s not a “real” league that’s competitive or anything so whatever. Myself and an actual friend of mine made up 2 of the regular 4 so when he saw our other 2 normal players plus one he thought I wasn’t making it and didn’t tell him lol

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

Some courses still have things in place like "no black socks with shorts"

Some courses have rules against changing your shoes in the parking lot.

:what:

Yeah, our county has like six really nice championship muni courses I think I’ll just stick to those lol

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Had a lovely Sunday morning at the range with a buddy. Played around with closing my driver face and adjusting my stance on driver and am seeing a noticeable improvement so going to keep up on that. Still don’t hit it too terribly far but at least I’m keeping it MUCH straighter instead of loving off 50 yards right. Even piped one probably 225ish and dead straight :unsmith:

But then I totally torpedoed my short iron game that I was very happy with by finally pulling the trigger on a nice full set of barely used irons to replace my grandpa’s old incomplete set I’ve been learning on :smith:

Also, while I really love the chipping/bunker and putting greens that no one uses at this facility, their driving range kinda sucks and they have a $15 9-hole executive course that’s fine for the price. However they had a ranger out today that was acting as a starter and between tee times was parking up at the putting green and driving range and glaring at us and the whole three other people there :jerkbag:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

MakaVillian posted:

Course Marshalls are usually giant d-bags in my experience

I was mostly just rolling my eyes about it because lol, it’s a $15 track and pretty much looks the part. Our county parks system has half a dozen nice to extremely nice championship and tournament courses that don’t have starters/marshalls. Put the money you’re paying that guy to be crotechy and sit in a golf cart into idk making the grass on your range not a sand pit

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Rogue Elephant posted:

Last year playing fall golf I lost a ball in the rough 2 feet from the fairway. Then I found it playing the next week. I know because it had a very distinctive marking

The other weekend I thought I had lost my ball in the very deep links-style rough on a big steep hill surrounding the 2nd green. Apparently there wasn’t anyone in front of me, because it was my last ProV1 and when I got to the 9th green tucked behind said hill, it was sitting right there on the edge of it :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

got completely crack addict hooked on golf in March. been going with a buddy who has been hugely helpful with every swing. got 51+a breakfast ball on the executive course I’ve played a few times last night. right now im inconsistent off the tee and my chips all go too far or I under exaggerate and they go two feet. it’s literally all I think about, when I close my eyes at night i see my golf swing. hit a nasty 15 foot putt. my driver will either go 15 feet up into the air or like 200 yards. not sure how I can add distance without completely loving up my swing.

I golfed a poo poo ton last year and progressively got worse and finally put the clubs down in October and didn’t think about golf at all until the Masters this year. Couple of weeks ago I played like four rounds and had a range session within a week and I have a range session planned tomorrow and two tee times booked this weekend and my first come first serve $7 par3 course opens too so I’ll probably get a round there too and I CANT WAIT

So yeah I’m hooked again too. And summer rec league starts in two weeks and my GFs retired greybeard dad joined with me so I’m excited to learn some poo poo from him