Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

If you liked Into Thin Air, you'd probably enjoy reading The Climb by Boukreev, the Russian. Krakauer implied some poo poo about Boukreev that made for a good narrative, but it wasn't at all deserved. If it weren't for Boukreev's efforts (while Krakauer was sleep in his tent), several more people would have died. It's much more a story about a mountaineer, rather than a story of a journalist who has also done some climbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Has anyone mentioned The Man Who Skied Down Everest? In the mid 70s, an insane world-class skier from Japan decided it'd be fun to ski down Lhotse face. He did, and lived to tell about it; it's an interesting film. There was an avalanche that killed a bunch of members of his crew during the ascent to the face, and there's this point where the guy basically says "you know, what the gently caress am I doing, all these people have died just so I can ski down a part of Everest, what a dumb thing to die for" and then he keeps climbing.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Marley Wants More posted:

Whenever I see someone crossing one of those narrow ladders, it looks clumsy as hell and it makes my stomach do flip flops. I always wonder why they don't use two ladders. Still clumsy, but at least it would be twice as wide. I guess it's because getting even one ladder up there is hard enough?

also there are safety lines you clip into, so even if you fall you won't die

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

here's an article with more on the subject. The Scott expedition carried with them a bottle of Forced March cocaine pills

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Hunterhr posted:

If he dies he dies
\

weirdest thing about Dolph Lundgren to me is he's mad brilliant, and was in grad school at MIT when he dropped out to play thugs for Hollywood full time. Guess it worked out alright though.

I don't know; it seems a bit of a shame for a kid to risk their life like that climbing Everest, but kids also compete in motocross and a bunch of other dangerous sports. I mean if life is pointless anyway what does it matter really. At what age does it become okay to risk your life for kicks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Everest 2016: Get rich and die hiking

• Locked thread