Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Krunge posted:

Oh look, I'm exactly right. And it's another "Great Circle". What's even is a great circle?:allears:

Truly it is the great journey of life, like his Dao, and immortal meridians are the friends he made along the way.

Also it's a really useful guide for how long an arc will be, because we know it will go until he reaches or exceeds whatever awesome point someone just talked about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if exactly one other person ever came close, exactly how is 123 important at all?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
120 is the high score, 123 is a perfect score and above 123 is breaking the system.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
but again, no one has ever gotten 123 in the history of the universe. how does that statue dude know 123 is significant?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Serious Frolicking posted:

but again, no one has ever gotten 123 in the history of the universe. how does that statue dude know 123 is significant?

It's been stated repeatedly that there is more to the universe than just the Nine Mountains, and that ancient cultivators were crazy powerful.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Also it would throw a major wrench in the plot of any of these stories if characters had to deal with nasty little things like ambiguity or non-quantified progress.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Krunge posted:

Also it would throw a major wrench in the plot of any of these stories if characters had to deal with nasty little things like ambiguity or non-quantified progress.

Wait this guy doesn't want to fight me nor wants to be my sugardaddy/choirboy? This girl doesn't have any desire for my dick nor is that exceptionally pretty/petty? The lord I killed was just protecting his village from other warlords seeking to take his lands and slaughter his people? Those nameless mooks I killed had family who grew in power in attempts to take revenge? Gautama Buddha is calling me an rear end in a top hat and won't let me progress even though I spared those people? Well sure I only did it because killing them would hinder my power levels and a pretty girl told me to do it but surely it counts for something.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sovereign of the three realms was fun at first, but now every conflict is kind of reminiscent of bleach only instead of sword pressing contests they use authority. the smart, talented characters leap mouth first on to the mc's cock and then spend all their time shouting down less important people who weren't smart enough to latch on to that dick like a lamprey.

it is somehow less compelling than even the standard wuxia murder hobo power trips.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

sovereign of the three realms was fun at first, but now every conflict is kind of reminiscent of bleach only instead of sword pressing contests they use authority. the smart, talented characters leap mouth first on to the mc's cock and then spend all their time shouting down less important people who weren't smart enough to latch on to that dick like a lamprey.

it is somehow less compelling than even the standard wuxia murder hobo power trips.

I dropped it when some random guard who had done absolutely nothing except get bailed out of trouble by the MC got a government job just for being acquainted with him. The previous arc's antagonist had been some rear end in a top hat who got a government job for being the nephew of someone important and then arrested the MC for killing a guy in the street lorded his status over the MC.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Really hoping that ATTE swings back around from shocking observations of the main character's unheard-of strength and goes back to shenanigans.

I've basically given up on ISSTH doing the same. Oh boy, Meng Hao has achieved unparalleled heights and is now punching his way through opponents that were only threatening for a fraction of a chapter, if at all. Again.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

blastron posted:

I've basically given up on ISSTH doing the same. Oh boy, Meng Hao has achieved unparalleled heights and is now punching his way through opponents that were only threatening for a fraction of a chapter, if at all. Again.

Fang clan arc had been mostly shenanigans until Meng Hao began his ascension.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

blastron posted:

Really hoping that ATTE swings back around from shocking observations of the main character's unheard-of strength and goes back to shenanigans.

give him time, there's no sign that we're going on a ISSTH style 100 chapter boring fight journey

EDIT: though yeah ISSTH was mostly shenanigans for a good while until Meng Hao started getting stronger, then it was about shocking techniques with sometimes (really good) shenanigans

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
People forget that half of Book 4 of ISSTH was boring fighting in the least interesting area of the world. It had two tribulation scenes, not any more interesting than the one that just finished. What saves Book 4 is Lord Fifth and the Demon Immortal Sect arc at the end, which was the best part of the whole story so far, combining shenanigans, ridiculously huge beings and unironic emotion.

I don't mind the fighting right now. We are approaching the climax of the book and those have always been great, Northern Reaches invasion aside.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

blastron posted:

Well, one thing about ATTE training arcs making them less boring, to me, is that Bai Xiaochun is shown as a coward-driven "I want to be a immortal" whose cowardness gives him a crazy work ethic, and that's still a lot of fun for me to read.

Crazy shenanigans are fun too, but I like crazy shenanigans that comes from an established characterisation, so we also need the rest.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

blastron posted:

From what I've heard you're in for way more shenanigans. MH and BY are, at their core, entirely different characters. BY isn't going to develop a sense of responsibility that supersedes his ridiculous need to be an utter bastard with the best intentions and lack of foresight into his weird mad-scientist stuff. Case in point? The rabbit is still out there waiting to gently caress everything up at the worst possible moment.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Er Gen's Xian Ni is also unsurprisingly much more readable now that it's decently translated. Wang Lin is profoundly unpleasant, but in a good way. The whole story gets much better after the Corpse Cultivation Sect Ponzi Scheme Arc.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Why is there no new thread yet? I was promised a new thread!

Anyway, in my quest for things to read that aren't utter garbage, I finally came across Zwei Rondo. It lies somewhere between Sword Art Online and Only Sense Online, about a high school guy who's a gloomy veteran of his VRMMO, and one day bumps into a lost newbie girl, who turns out to be his classmate. Story's basically about him reluctantly showing her the ropes, and introducing old friends, with the mystery of his vanished guild mates unfolding as the series arc, and shorter arcs about catching virtual pet cats and the school culture festival and crafting and whatnot. Pretty charming, with no reincarnation or slaves or harems. Maybe not the highest of highs, but at least the lows are high too. As a bonus, it's completed at 1151 pages.

No translations yet, that I can find, sadly.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Sure, I'll make a new thread this evening. What are some of the top recommendations that I should list in the OP?

edit: a blurb about and a link to your recommendation would be cool, too.

blastron fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 4, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kumoko, disciple, issth, atte, raptor wife, and maybe dungeon defense. you might include a cautionary message about against the gods, martial god asura and their ilk if you like, too.

edit: ah, okay.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? (http://www.novelupdates.com/series/kumo-desu-ga-nani-ka/) is a story about a girl who was reincarnated into an oversized spider monster in a fantasy world where she is at the bottom of the food chain. Kumoko stands out from the pack of monster reincarnation stories because it is both funny and well-written. Seriously, those other wn's about monster reincarnation are terrible.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Only Sense Online is a chill webnovel where a responsible high schooler plays a VRMMO with his friends. He likes to craft things and generally have a good time exploring the game. Nothing too dramatic happens besides the game progression. There's a poorly realized gender bender side plot with the protagonist, but it's inconsequential so you can mostly ignore it. I recommend it if you want something completely divorced from power levels, drama, and unsavory web novel elements. It has a fun element of "what could MMO game design look like if VR was extremely good?"

http://www.novelupdates.com/series/only-sense-online/

brainwrinkle fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 4, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
My Disciple Died Yet Again (http://www.novelupdates.com/series/my-disciple-died-yet-again/) is about a programmer whose mind is transported to a wuxia setting where she is expected to debug the problems created by genre-standard psychotic cultivators, except she keeps dying. It is mostly dedicated to taking the piss out of many common wuxia tropes involving the exaltation of incredibly brutal, treacherous and all-around evil protagonists.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I Shall Seal the Heavens! (http://www.novelupdates.com/series/i-shall-seal-the-heavens/) is mostly a standard wuxia cultivation story. However, the big difference is that the protagonist sometimes gets into absurd and amusing shenanigans where he cons every arrogant spoiled cultivator that crosses his path. Those parts are very good! However, the rest of the wn which is mostly about how he becomes stronger and then astonishes the people he fights are somewhat tedious. I think the good parts more than make up for the mediocre parts, but some people here disagree.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
A Certain Middle-Aged Man’s VRMMO Activity Log
It's not OSO, but at least <important> things aren't on the line here, nor is anyone stuck in Tron. Just a guy having fun and chilling in an MMO. May contain too much Sue for some to handle.

Common Sense of a Duke’s Daughter
Hasn't been updated in a while, but still a fun read. Good world building, with political and economic shenanigans going on. Summary is: person gets reincarnated into the antagonist of an otome game at the end of a route, then proceed to build up social infrastructure using her knowledge of bureaucracy. Haters get pooped on from up high.

Cook of the Mercenary Corp
Another one that hasn't been updated in a while, or at least very sporadically. Really talented cook somehow ended up in a fantasy world. Despite blundering about, he becomes an integral part of a mercenary corp. Adventures ensue.

Everyone Else is a Returnee
What is this? Earth is evolving! Unfortunately, this would cause a rise in magical species that threatens humanity's survival. In response, God sends (almost) everyone to other worlds to train for the upcoming challenge. The sole unfortunate soul left behind is our protagonist.

Genjitsushugisha no Oukokukaizouki
A guy who's a realist gets summoned to another world to be a hero. Unfortunately, he doesn't get any real power ups, and the kingdom he gets summoned to is in deep financial and political trouble. Luckily the protagonist has read a lot, and thus has a plan forward.

Release that Witch
An engineering intern gets reincarnated as the fourth prince of a kingdom. Said kingdom is currently undergoing trials to determine the next crown prince/princess. There's also witches that are persecuted for their powers by the church. A lot of political intrigue and world building, the current translation is about a third of the way through the released chapters.

That's everything I got that isn't a guilty pleasure for me, has too few chapters to really be recommended, or has already been mentioned.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
What is cultivation?

jwang posted:

Cook of the Mercenary Corp
Another one that hasn't been updated in a while, or at least very sporadically. Really talented cook somehow ended up in a fantasy world. Despite blundering about, he becomes an integral part of a mercenary corp. Adventures ensue.

Genjitsushugisha no Oukokukaizouki
A guy who's a realist gets summoned to another world to be a hero. Unfortunately, he doesn't get any real power ups, and the kingdom he gets summoned to is in deep financial and political trouble. Luckily the protagonist has read a lot, and thus has a plan forward.
These sound fun, haven't heard of them before. Thanks

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Jackard posted:

These sound fun, haven't heard of them before. Thanks

I was really enjoying that second one there, but then the translation took an incredible nosedive in quality and I just could not be bothered working through it, so beware.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
The Lazy King
Reincarnated as a demon of sloth, the world's laziest man sleeps his way to power and glory. Propped up by his fanatical army of treacherous and scheming demons, he will shake the heavens and rule the hells, eventually. Right now he just wants to get some more sleep.

The Girl Who Ate Death
A starving farm girl takes a bite out of the Reaper that came to claim her soul, and becomes something inhuman. Seeking revenge against the rebels who burned her village, she comes to serve in the army of the corrupt and incompetent Kingdom as it is ripped apart by civil war. Unstoppable and unkillable, she stalks the battlefield in search of her next meal.

Ze Tian Ji
Dying of an incurable illness, a young monk comes to the big city to find a miracle, and to annul the marriage that was arranged by his Teacher. Before he can state his intentions, he finds himself swept up by court politics. His naive and straightforward nature inspires paranoia and suspicion, his stoicism in the face of his inevitable death is mistaken for machiavellian cunning. Surrounded by powers he cannot imagine, embroiled in plots he does not understand, he is a pawn mistaken for a king.

Running Away From The Hero!
Reincarnated into a fantasy world, our protagonist decides that the best way to survive is to stay as far away from the plot as humanly possible. Things go pretty well for the first few decades, and he ends up working as a trainer for an underground criminal organization, teaching new recruits to avoid death flags and brainwashing them to be loyal to him so they won't try to murder him. unfortunately, the latest class of recruits includes 3 children destined to become heroes.

World of Cultivation
Amnesic and disfigured by unknown magics, our protagonist has no ambitions beyond becoming a licensed Spirit Farmer, tending to his fields, growing rich and living peacefully. Unfortunately, a chance encounter leaves him with a head full of ancient knowledge and a mild case of demonic possession. Mistaken for a cultivation genius, he is forced to leave his peaceful life behind and reluctantly learn the way of the sword. Driven only by greed and survival instincts, he stumbles head first into a life of fame, power, and unrelenting danger.

The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich
Living in an underworld kingdom full of monsters, trapped in an undying and inhuman body, hounded by a game system that keeps throwing Evil Quests in his face, a reincarnated lawyer seeks to do good while being technically evil.

A Thought Through Eternity
A coward pursues immortality in order to escape death. Unfortunately for him, all the other immortals seem to be obsessed with fighting and killing. Relying only on his cunning instincts and driven by his constant terror he will become the strongest man in the world, if only so he can run away faster.

Warning: English language webnovels:

The Gods are Bastards
A D&D Western. The age of adventures is over, all the frontiers have been conquered, all the dungeons have been nationalized, magic is analyzed documented and mass produced, and the Rail network carries civilization to the furthest reaches of the continent. It seems that the world is at peace, and there is no place for heroes, but dark forces are moving in the shadows and the gods are preparing for war. Against this backdrop, the University at Last Rock welcomes its smallest and possibly last freshmen class. They are a group of very dangerous teens gathered from all across the empire, and they will learn to be heroes in a world that no longer wants them.

Savage Divinity
Haunted by memories of a previous life, a dying slave struggles to make sense of the brutal and magical world he finds himself in. Escaping captivity, he is taken in by a tribe of barbarian warriors. He trains to become strong so that he can protect his freedom and his new family. He quickly finds that he is a supernaturally gifted fighter, earning praise from his companions. Unfortunately, he is also an idiot. He fucks up, constantly, inspiring less flattering comments from friends and family alike.

A Practical Guide to Evil
In a world toyed with by warring gods, in a nation conquered by Evil, in a city pushed to the breaking point by its corrupt Imperial Governor, a snarky teenage orphan with a strong sense of justice and a talent for violence seems like she has all the trappings of a hero-to-be. Fortunately, the Empire has learned to watch out for children like her and take preventative measures. Given a knife and a choice, our protagonist finds herself reluctantly apprenticed to the Black Knight, a genre aware Darth Vader struggling to reform his comically evil Evil Empire into a more pragmatic form of villainy.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Jackard posted:

What is cultivation?

Cultivation is when you meditate and do lots of drugs to become an immortal rear end in a top hat wizard.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Avulsion posted:

Warning: English language webnovels:

In that case, include:

Mother of Learning: Zorian, a mage in training, only wanted to finish his education in peace. Now he struggles to find answers as he finds himself repeatedly reliving the same month. 'Groundhog's day' style setup in a fantasy world.

Alternative description: Not-Harry-Potter (Zorian) goes to wizard school, except he's nobody special and his sister is annoying. Then the world ends. It's okay though, because an evil lich spliced Zorian's soul with a time-traveler, so now our young pessimist gets to relive the end of the world a thousand times over. Yay!

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Once I get home I can grab quick blurbs but off the top of my head, the decent ones that haven't been mentioned would be:

Lazy Demon
Evil God average (completed)
Destruction flag otome (I thought it was completed but looks it got a third volume? Though I haven't started on the new stuff)
Kenkyo
My death flags show no sign of ending (slow translation)
Overlord (has its own thread and official translations but worth calling out)

English:
Mother of learning
A hero's war
Taint (hasn't updated in a while because the author is editing old chapters, but definitely not dead)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
There's a separate thread for English-language webnovels in TBB, though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Its OP hasn't (ever?) been updated and the thread is mostly useless gushing about Worm

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Silver2195 posted:

There's a separate thread for English-language webnovels in TBB, though.

The OP in that thread sucks though. It's even older than this one and all it recommends is Worm, and if you want to find out about any other web novels that may or may not be any good you have to dig through 80 pages of Worm spoilers to find them.

Posting a link to some recommendations in the OP and then directing all discussion of gaijin novels to the TBB would be helpful.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's not terribly different from this thread, which becomes solely about issth whenever the story hits a good patch.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's not terribly different from this thread, which becomes solely about issth whenever the story hits a good patch.
Try reading it. Should have been renamed the Worm thread.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I can't write to save my life, and I'm pretty sure I'm a worse salesman than I am a writer. All the novelupdates synopses are in first person too, to spite me.

It wouldn't hurt to mention almost everything from the old OP and add some kind of warning about how horrible they are. Also that one about the suppositories, or the "Used Goods" novel, as an example of a typical abhorrent WN.

Evil God Average (Completed)
A girl with a very sinister gaze is reincarnated into another world as an evil god. She takes over a dungeon by mistake and things quickly get out of hand. Has an awful sequel.

My Death Flags Show No Sign of Ending[/ur]
An ordinary university student reincarnated into the main villain, and most hated character, from a game he was playing. He tries desperately to dodge a myriad of death flags without losing control of the plot of the game or letting anyone know how much he changed.

[url=http://www.novelupdates.com/series/kenkyo-kenjitsu-o-motto-ni-ikite-orimasu/]Kenkyo, Kenjitsu o Motto ni Ikite Orimasu

A girl reincarnates as the spoiled, spiteful villainess character from an Otome game she was playing. Once she regains her memories she works hard to be a decent person instead of the villain she remembered. This might not have been the first example of this story but it's one of the best and really got the trend started.

Destruction Flag Otome
Similar to Kenkyo, a girl reincarnates as the villain in an otome game she was playing. In every route she gets a horrible ending or death, so she tries desperately not to trigger any of her death flags. The main character has no self awareness but it's a fun read nonetheless.

Demon Girl ~Tale of a Lax Demon~
A human reincarnates as a demon who then reincarnates as a human. Now she's not really sure if she's really human or a demon but she doesn't want to be found out but can't avoid standing out and attracting attention. A fairly relaxing read.

Overlord
Tells the story of Momonga, a friendless man who's spent a third of his salary on a free-to-play virtual reality MMORPG for the past decade, proudly building a massive guild fortress with his 40 companions, painstakingly customizing guardian NPCs and tweaking textures to make it as imposing as possible to rival guilds. However, the days of this particular MMO's popularity are long gone, and the company running it has announced complete shutdown. On the final eve of service, Momonga walks alone in the silent halls of the once bustling dungeon, waxing nostalgic over memories past. As the clock rolls over midnight, he closes his eyes and ... discovers that the game has turned into reality. Has its own thread, an anime, a manga, and official LN translations.

English:

Even though there's a TBB thread, Taint in particular stands out as something that should be mentioned in this thread. Honestly the TBB thread feels way more focused on Worm/Twig/Pact than we are on ISSTH here.

Taint
A young girls gets kidnapped and trapped inside a dungeon full of monsters. She is almost killed but turns into some kind of demon and slowly grows in power. Draws heavily on common WN and Wuxia themes.

A Hero's War
Two heroes are summoned to another world, one by mistake, and the story mostly follows the second one as he seeks to revolutionize the technology of the world. Compared to a typical WN dealing with similar themes it puts a heavier focus on the negatives and human cost in rapid technological development. It does get pretty heavy on the magibabble and technical details at times, but many readers will appreciate the consistency and worldbuilding.

e: Also I'm honestly not a massive fan of Worm. I'll finish it at some point but it wasn't hooking me, partly because there is no downtime. Maybe I'd have a different opinion if I were reading it in small chunks as it was coming out.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 4, 2016

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

BlitzBlast posted:

It'd probably be easier to update if we write up our own summaries, huh.

Only Sense Online
VR MMO stories got popular thanks to Sword Art Online, but by and large they're awful overdramatic messes based on MMOs so poorly designed you have to assume the developers were completely drunk. Enter Only Sense Online, a story that is just about some people playing a cool game. They don't get trapped in it. They're not crazed weirdoes with no lives outside of it. And they most certainly do not die in real life if they die in the game. OSO is a relaxed story centering on Shun, a dude so pretty that the game's automatic avatar creator actually thought he was a girl and made his character female. "Yun" proceeds to meet new people, mess around with a highly detailed crafting system, and in general actually have fun.

OSO's strong suit is that it never forgets it is telling a story about a MMO. There is almost no drama, nobody is a mustache-twirling villain, the world does not revolve around the MC, and most of all the game actually sounds pretty fun.

Oh and I guess there's this idea that Yun assembles lovely skills and somehow turns them into an overpowered as gently caress setup but we're eight volumes in and none of that has happened at all. It (and the gender bending) mostly seems to be there just to attract people who like that sort of thing.

Evil God Average
So there's this girl who is pretty normal, except she has the creepiest gaze ever. Through the whims of a god, this girl (now named Anri) is thrown into a RPG-like world and gets a bunch of downright villainous skills. In particular, her gaze has been upgraded so literally everyone she looks at will be too terrified to move. This and a few other problems makes living a normal life as an adventurer impossible, so Anri decides to go with plan B: take over a dungeon, knock out all of the adventurers who come in, and sell their equipment for cash. But a few poor decisions later and... well, let's just say the title doesn't have "Evil God" in it for nothing.

Extremely funny and very relaxed, Evil God Average is just an all around excellent story. Also in its favor is that the author knew not to stretch things out: there are only two volumes (four if you count the two sidestory ones), and they are just the right length. If you want to know if you'll enjoy LNs at all, I definitely recommend this one.

Gifting this Wonderful World with Blessings! (Konosuba)
Kazuma, just an ordinary teenage boy, is run over by a truck while trying to save a girl's life. He meets a goddess in the afterlife, who asks him to help save another world. Kazuma accepts, and the goddess follows him to this new (video game like!) world. Starting off as an ordinary adventurer, Kazuma assembles a party of beauties and begins his quest to save the world from the Demon Lord!

Hahahahahahaha just kidding, that's not what happens at all. Konosuba is the story of two douchebags meeting, screwing each other over, and then attracting two weirdoes into one dysfunctional as hell party. It is the epitome of a story not taking itself seriously, and is overall a complete blast to read. Or watch, since it just got an anime!

I'm actually kinda mixed on recommending this as a starter, because it is first and foremost a parody of the entire Reincarnated Into A Game genre. It is absolutely an excellent comedy on its own, with one of the best casts I have ever seen and a tight narrative (if something is mentioned, no matter how minor, it's probably going to come up later!), but I kinda feel like it's even better after you've flipped through a few other stories of its ilk first.

Sevens
Once a child prodigy, Lyle Walt's life turns for the worse when his sister Celes suddenly becomes the apple of everyone's eye. Fast forward a few years of isolation in his own house, and Lye is stripped of his status as the heir and thrown out of his family. But before he leaves, one of the servants gives him a family heirloom. Much to his surprise, it turns out to contain the consciousnesses of the first seven heads of his family! With their advice guiding him and their abilities empowering him, Lyle starts a new life... that ultimately sets him against his sister again.

I'm mostly only recommending this because it's a decent baseline for stories set in a fantasy world with RPG mechanics as a whole. The MC starts off weak but gets strong, he attracts girls like crazy, everyone he runs into thinks he sucks at first but then realize he's cool, etc. A lot of stories have done the concept better, but even more have done the concept worse. If you just want to try a long runner, then you could do a lot worse.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

I think any description of overlord needs to include some pretty big warnings that it degrades into endless torture porn and not much else after the first few volumes. It's good fun before that though.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Herbotron posted:

I think any description of overlord needs to include some pretty big warnings that it degrades into endless torture porn and not much else after the first few volumes. It's good fun before that though.

That is not being fair. There is some of it and it wasn't enjoyable to read at all, but it gets out of it as quickly as it gets into it, and there really isn't much of it. It's just the one volume with the wannabe-adventurers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I think the thread should just come with a huge disclaimer that a lot of these stories use weird tropes and any story can degenerate into porn, for some value of porn.

• Locked thread