Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah, both would be easy. I just don’t want to keep crickets long term (ugh)

I’ll happily make tegu mash and eggs and mix up crested gecko food and even hand-feed canned snails every day but gently caress me I did not want to go back to having to deal with loving crickets I hate them so much

Maybe they would eat some roaches? I find roaches easier to deal with than loving crickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I think I’ve had success—I raised the temp in their enclosures and they both seem to have eaten while I was out

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Thought y'all might appreciate this, I don't know poo poo about snakes but this one looks really beautiful to me.

Mum's got baby chickens in the house rn and this cutie showed up to say hi

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Is this in Australia?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yup

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’d say it’s a friendly neighborhood scrub python then!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
We call them Carpet Pythons

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ahh, yes. I’m sure you’re right. The patterns and coloration look more like that species than a Scrub.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Bald Stalin posted:

Thought y'all might appreciate this, I don't know poo poo about snakes but this one looks really beautiful to me.

Mum's got baby chickens in the house rn and this cutie showed up to say hi

Beautiful!!

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Don't see any tarantula chat in here ever, so don't know if anyone cares, but here's a pic of my GBB, Gothmog, who just moulted. Well on the way to his/her adult colours, though still a good bit of growth to be done.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
D'aawwww. Is he as soft as he looks or is the hair more coarse?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

artsy fartsy posted:

not soft at all lol

GBBs are notorious hair kickers and those orange bristles are basically the arthropod equivalent of cactus glochids. They’re defensive weapons

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

artsy fartsy posted:

Definitely not soft! Or at least not what you would want to be stroking, were he to somehow allow that. Those are urticating hairs - basically barbed bristles. Most New World species of tarantula have them; apart from just fleeing, it's their main defense mechanism (Old Worlds lack them, but tend to have gently caress off nasty venom instead). They will kick them at potential predators; they can cause a irritation on the skin, and you definitely don't want to get them in your eyes or anything like that. If you see a bald patch on a tarantula's abdomen it's because they've been stressed or annoyed and have been kicking hairs.

Gothmog is a good boy though and hasn't kicked at all since I've had him. :3:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I love gbbs. I have a 14 gallon rimless I’m converting to arthropod-safe specifically with one in mind

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
They rock, and their visual transition from sling to adult is very satisfying. Fast bastards, though!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

friendship ended with Petco. Tractor Supply Co is my new best friend

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Tractor Supply Co rules. They'll sell me like 50lb of fish food for 20bux AND if you go at the right time you get to see the all baby chickens and ducks. I have also found full number line first edition hardcover books there?

Weird store but if you need giant bags of cheap food they're great.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

every time i brought out the Flock Party snacks i always screamed "IT'S TIME FOR A FLOCK PARTY!" and sang andrew w.k.'s seminal work "party hard" while throwing dried mealworms at the quails

MmmDonuts
Apr 5, 2010
My Beardy's way outgrown its 40 gallon tank. Does anybody have recs for 4x2x2 terrariums?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

MmmDonuts posted:

My Beardy's way outgrown its 40 gallon tank. Does anybody have recs for 4x2x2 terrariums?

We got two five or six months ago from Dubia and I don't really have any complaints, particularly given the price compared to the alternatives we looked at. The corner connectors are plastic and I don't think they'd hold up well if you plan to disassemble and reassemble it repeatedly, but I don't.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MmmDonuts posted:

https://www.zenhabitats.com/product...1gaAqQwEALw_wcB

https://phailozoo.co/products/repma...8QaAvNuEALw_wcB

https://www.chewy.com/new-age-pet-e...VMaAhKaEALw_wcB (you'll probably want to lightly modify this one/replace the fasteners/etc, but it's much less expensive)

I also found a whole bunch of 36", but those are probably too small for you, but lmk

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

When I was doing my research I heard some complaints about the side panels on these which are apparently some kind of pressboard with a thin bamboo (or faux bamboo) veneer on them—have you used them?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

When I was doing my research I heard some complaints about the side panels on these which are apparently some kind of pressboard with a thin bamboo (or faux bamboo) veneer on them—have you used them?

I haven’t, but I’m aware of the complaints and I heard they improved the new generation of enclosures.

I believe either Snake Discovery or Clint did a video this past year putting together one of the new ZH kits, or it could’ve been a different company’s.

The cheaper ones I listed aren’t much better, afaik, unless they’re all-glass/acrylic/mesh.

The reality is that most of the <$400 enclosures are gonna need some amount of hot-rodding and modification.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I recently got a Brachypelma boehmei tarantula. I missed having a spider. Haven't named them yet lol. They have a great personality so far but they haven't molted in my care yet so they're still unsexed. Love these lil crawlies

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 19, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Don't see any tarantula chat in here ever, so don't know if anyone cares, but here's a pic of my GBB, Gothmog, who just moulted. Well on the way to his/her adult colours, though still a good bit of growth to be done.

They are adorable!

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Brilliant color on that one! Gothmog is a fine name.

Vicky has been enjoying a nice holiday season.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

trilobite terror posted:

The cheaper ones I listed aren’t much better, afaik, unless they’re all-glass/acrylic/mesh.

The reality is that most of the <$400 enclosures are gonna need some amount of hot-rodding and modification.

The Dubia ones are all PVC with a pretty sturdy mesh lid (as well as a couple of support bars) and glass doors; other than sealing them they don't seem to need anything in particular. I did make them a stand and added a partial cover to the top one to retain a little more humidity, but that's obviously optional. Clint's (very positive) review of the Dubia enclosures was part of the reason we got them (and they go on sale down to ~$250), though when he made the review they still had acrylic doors.

The ladies (Pogona henrylawsoni) seem to like it so far, anyway.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 20, 2023

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Artsygrrl posted:

Vicky has been enjoying a nice holiday season.

Is she still guarding her pee water while you’re trying to keep her home clean?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
this is the second year I’m trying to brumate my tegu (got her as a small juvenile October 2022, she brumated that whole first winter without issue until like March/April), but I seem to have hosed that up by keeping her brumation bin in a room that’s consistently stayed in the high 60s-mid 70s and aside from the first time I checked on her back in mid-November, the last two times I’ve checked she’s been out of the burrow she made and sitting on the substrate in what I can only describe as a state of waking torpor.

Should I cut my losses/count that she’s gonna be up for good and bring the temps up/start offering food again, or should I try dropping the temps (last year I had her box under a semi-open window where the temps would consistently drift into the low 50s)? Just let her bask and give her some fresh water and play it by ear?

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer

Bored posted:

Is she still guarding her pee water while you’re trying to keep her home clean?

She stopped, we cleaned, and she's come to understand that my apron = cleaning, no matter what her mood. Adjusting her feeding schedule has brightened her mood considerably, too. Yesterday she slowly swallowed three mice. :)

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Always exciting to get home from work and discover one of my tarantulas has decided to moult. I don't have so many that it happens all the time. Plus you get a brand new, bigger spider with updated colours!

Admittedly the actual moulting process looks like a weird jumble of tarantula parts. Plus there is always the worry that it will go wrong. Go, Jack Skellington, go! Looking forward to seeing your new clothes little chap/chapette.

edit:

Improbable Lobster posted:

They are adorable!

Artsygrrl posted:

Thank you! Gothmog is doing great; eating for England, as per usual.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 8, 2024

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I want to replace the UVB light fixture I use for my frogs. My old one is a flourescent tube, do they make decent LED ones yet? It's kind of hard to tell just googling around whether these are appropriate jungle (not desert) UVB light sources.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Always exciting to get home from work and discover one of my tarantulas has decided to moult. I don't have so many that it happens all the time. Plus you get a brand new, bigger spider with updated colours!

Admittedly the actual moulting process looks like a weird jumble of tarantula parts. Plus there is always the worry that it will go wrong. Go, Jack Skellington, go! Looking forward to seeing your new clothes little chap/chapette.

Every time my crayfish molts it looks like it get ripped into shreds, then me worriedly looking for them to make sure they molted ok and didn't die midmolt. I assume it's the same feeling there.

The colors on the fresh shell are absolutely exceptional.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

AtomikKrab posted:

Every time my crayfish molts it looks like it get ripped into shreds, then me worriedly looking for them to make sure they molted ok and didn't die midmolt. I assume it's the same feeling there.

100%. Are crayfish also vulnerable as hell for a while afterwards? With Ts you have to wait days until their fangs harden until you feed them. Also, even a small cricket/cannibalistic feeder left in with a freshly-moulted T is capable of killing it.

Same question for snakes actually, given there are tons of keepers in here.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 8, 2024

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

100%. Are crayfish also vulnerable as hell for a while afterwards? With Ts you have to wait days until their fangs harden until you feed them. Also, even a small cricket/cannibalistic feeder left in with a freshly-moulted T is capable of killing it.

If in a no predator tank Crays will mostly feed on their discarded shell for a few days after while the new one hardens. As they get bigger you gotta get real good at making sure you're keeping the calcium and iodine levels up or they will die like one bad molt away from adult.

Crays are very hardy but yeah they're gross squishy things post-molt.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Highly Vulnerable, but he doesn't have anything in his tank that would view him as prey, He's also the largest thing in there by a good margin. Easier to feed as he will munch on pretty much anything provided so even after molting as long as I drop food in near where he likes to hide he will extend a claw out to snag it and bring it in.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Who's my clever little Pumpkin King(/Queen)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Who's my clever little Pumpkin King(/Queen)

Very Pretty

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Thanks. Sometimes you gotta go classic!

(colours definitely a bit richer now)

edit:

'Ello. :3:

Still don't know the sex as I didn't end up taking the exuvium out before the little blighter chewed it up.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

It's neat how much that resembles a shrimp or cray molt.