Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Finally caught up!

So, I’ve got a small backyard pond, came when I bought the house, didn’t care much about it until the frogs showed up and then that was that. Then frogs did what frogs do and our pond was teeming with tadpoles, so we put in a lotus and a couple water lilies for shade/sitting. So far, so good.

Of course I’ve got all these worries about predation, algae blooms, accidental contamination, this that and the other. What I didn’t expect was losing six tadpoles and a froglet to “trying to eat frogspawn that was too sticky.” So now I’ve buckets of frogspawn that I’ll need to keep any of these idiots from getting into until whatever survived the transfer hatches.

Also: should I be concerned that I’ve never seen the green frogs and gray tree frogs eat a single one of the many, many water striders and flying insects out and about in the couple months we’ve had this house? If they were living entirely off of their own children then surely we would have noticed by now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Bored posted:

I was always annoyed that they wouldn’t eat the mosquito larvae around the edges of our koi pond when I was a kid.

This! Such a disappointment, and it took forever to realize what was happening since tadpole respiration looks exactly like you’d think hunting something at the water surface would. Thank goodness mosquito dunks are so specific.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Bored posted:

Also, waterstriders eat tadpoles.

Even small water striders? I caught and killed a backswimmer, but it might be more than I can handle to deal with all those mosquito-sized ones.

Edit: still coming up with another dead tadpole each day. Starting to wonder if some of the frogspawn sunk to the bottom where I can’t see it during the scooping.

Is frog spawn choking/entrapment an issue anyone else here has run into? I’m not really a fan of the incoming class doing the graduating tadpoles dirty like this so close to froghood, but aside from my imperfect quarantine this doesn’t seem like the sort of problem that would have a clean solution.

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 11, 2023